[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Broken door latch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 352x347) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 352x347
Here is a photo of my broken door latch. Some asshole decided to kick the door open during a party. Is this fixable without getting the whole door frame replaced? A before and after pic for reference.
>>
that's a shitty picture.

also, just replace the jamb. don't need to replace the frame. get a lock and deadbolt and punch that fucker in the back of the head.
>>
>>1012696
I deal with a lot of these. Usually I just replace the one side but it takes a few tools that not everyone has like a nailgun, router, and oscillating saw. If you're good you could use a hammer and chisel.

I usually charge about $175 to fix something like that and honestly I'm not charging enough.

If you are poor and only have a drill you can screw the broken piece back on. It won't look great but it will work.
>>
>>1012753
My shit tier landlord would just bog a hole like this.
>>
1. Hire contractor to repair/replace frame & lock
2. Go on Judge Judy and make the asshole pay for it.
>>
>>1012764
>being a responsible adult
>be a literal degenerate and want someone else to fix/pay for carelessness

Choose one.
>>
>>1012779
Right. The asshole who caused the damage should pay for the damage they've caused. Glad you agree with me?
>>
there's no need to replace anything. just fill the hole with drywall putty, doing it in several layers. then, when it's all filled in, sand and paint. it'll cost you very little if you have the materials (which every red-blooded male should). it's also therapeutic, if you adopt the attitude that this is an art project rather than a job. channel your inner plasticine-playing child.
>>
>>1012696
Btw.. why do you have a before pic of your strike plate? Or did you just take a pic of another door frame in the house.
>>
>>1012909
OP here, took a picture of a another door in the house.
>>
>>1012753
OP here, the broken piece thats missing in the picture is completely shattered. There's nothing to shove back in.
>>
>>1012812
That sound reasonable, I was thinking of wood putty to fill hole. Can drywall putty and wood putty be used in the same way?
>>
>>1013110
>Can drywall putty and wood putty be used in the same way?

aesthetically they're the same, functionally the wood putty is more resistant, but it's also considerably more expensive. around here, July 1st is moving day for many many people, so as you walk around the streets these days, you can pick up lots of free paint and drywall putty. that's why i recommended it, coz it's easily available.
>>
>>1013123
Would it be good for me to fill the hole with something like a triangle of wood so I don't have to fill the whole thing with putty? Do you think that's a good idea?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.