[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
electrified watch for working sessions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20160622_162552042.jpg (895 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160622_162552042.jpg
895 KB, 2592x1456
Hello everyone,
i'm an underachiever and cannot keep focused on work i have to do unless my life depends on it. The thing is the most important orals in my life are coming up and i need something to force me to work for hours per day: i know i dont have the will to do so and need to be restrained. So i had this idea:

i'd like to build an electrified bracelet, also featuring a timer and a buzzer, that would be plugged at some at-port device (near my desk) and would produce a loud sound and small (but unpleasant) shocks to my arm when unplugged, so that walking off isnt an option anymore.
The timer is to set this device off once i've worked long enough.

The thing is i don't know how to approach the problem. Would you guys have any advice on websites i should consult, domains i should look into in order to build such a thing ? I'm an ingeneering student and as such i shouldn't have too much trouble finding the material, so if anyone feels he can share wisdom about this project i'd appreciate it very much.
>>
>>1012366
The issue is that any safety-override you build in to be able to take it off in an emergency or at the end of your project will be what you use to take the device off.

Likewise, small electronic locks are hard.
>>
>>1012368
i know right... i need to make it distraction proof so i don't plan on putting any emergency takeoff system. Should be safe enough if the voltage of the battery is too low to cause damage, right ?
I thought so... to counter that fact i was planning on putting a simple but constantly electrified lock, or make the buzzer go off at its loudest if the lock is illegally opened. this should be doable right ?
>>
File: yelling.png (725 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
yelling.png
725 KB, 1024x768
What are you OP? Are you a dog?
Do you really need operant conditioning or are you just running away from your initial problems by making one up in the form of a motivational aid?

That being said, just get a shock collar and hack it to your needs if you feel the way you do. Just throwing a bone here to save some time.
>>
>>1012390
Well i think it might be a bit of both, though probably more of the latter. You see people usually weigh pros and cons of each decision through internal debating between their good and evil selves, but in my case the good self always gets convinced by the evil one and ends up fucking up my judgement.
Didn't think of that, thx, ill look into it. Also nice pun made me smile ;)
>>
>>1012407
>You see people usually weigh pros and cons of each decision through internal debating between their good and evil selves
Yeah nicely deducted Sherlock Hound, can't even tell if you are trolling honestly. Either you got DID or you are a literal cartoon.
There's more involved in daily decision making, what you are describing is a cliché older than your granny's grandma.

>Well i think it might be a bit of both, though probably more of the latter.
> ill look into it
Whatever floats your boat man. You aren't solving anything long term but go ahead, be sure to give the remote your handler tough like it's supposed to function.
>>
>>1012417
wow calm down brother i wasnt trying to get into a philosophical debate just trying to explain my motivation to build this thing
>>
Something tells me that if OP actually does build this thing (which is ultimately just a distraction from what he should be doing anyway) then he'll put it on once and it will work, but the next day he won't even put it on.

OPs problem isn't one of conditioning, it is purely psychological, and physical therapies won't help. IMHO, OP should either have a long meditation where he considers why he is the way he is, or he should just give up, fail the test, and continue his life as a perpetual man-child.
>>
>>1012366
Seriously OP just get some Adderall
>>
>>1012430
i think you're actually right, this is the most likely way for it to happen. But the fact is i spend my time meditating, wondering why i can't keep focused while everyone else can, and this idea is the fruit of my meditation: i just noticed that the only times where i achieve something is when an exterior reason forces me to (i usually do well on actual tests, i do my part when doing group works, though late...) therefore i should create this exterior reason myself. It's not even conditionning in the classical meaning, i don't expect it to change my brain, but being shocked the fuck out while my ears are destroyed should be enough of a reason to work my ass off.

Seriously, if anyone has a better way of handling this i'm all ears.

>>1012435
i would, but it's not like i get distracted by flies without realising it, i just get sick of it in about 2 minutes, are you sure Adderall fights this kind of issue ?
>>
>>1012430
>(which is ultimately just a distraction from what he should be doing anyway
just do your fucking work op
stop being a pussy and do it
saying that i have to write a report by tomorrow that i should have started 11 months ago so i can't say anything
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.