[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to unfuck drain?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
What I tried so far:

> use these powders that heat up when they get water
> took off the pipe as much as possible, blew the powder in it, added water

> poured boiling hot water in the pipe - as fast as I could - and as much as possible

> connected garden hose, used the 2bar water to push out the gunk, no effect

> drain snake
> 5m is not long enough
> 10m one broke, but we went through all the pipes with it, and even managed to spin it all the way through a few times

And the drain is just as bad.
Water goes down slowly, that's about it.
What tool / chemical can unfuck it?
>>
>>1011522
Some people say hydrochloric acid, trisodium phosphate, and similar stuff.
But I am not so sure the pipes would thank me for these.
>>
File: hf_drainbladder_r9238ru49r.jpg (94 KB, 800x674) Image search: [Google]
hf_drainbladder_r9238ru49r.jpg
94 KB, 800x674
>>1011522
chemicals is generally best avoided, I have seen

It depends on what is probably clogging the drain.
The proper time to do something is when the drain begins to empty slowly, and don't wait until it's totally clogged.

My issue is usually cooking grease, even tho I don't pour any down the drain. It still builds up like once a year or so.
When the drain starts to go slow, what I do is run hot water for ~2 minutes, and then while the hot water is running, pour about 1/4th to 1/2 of a bottle of dish washing soap right down the drain with the water.
Usually works fantastic, clears the drain again. But it won't help for hair clogs, tree roots or other assorted issues.

If that fails I usually just use a long snake (50 foot).

One time even the long snake didn't work, and so in desperation I bought a drain bladder at Harbor Freight. (pic related) It was cheep and worked exactly as advertised.
However:
1. This clogged drain was the only one on one long run of pipe. You may not have that situation....
2. I inserted the bladder into the cleanout hole, under the kitchen sink. You may not have cleanout plugs. They help a lot with this issue, since you can't run a 1/2" snake through the S-trap....
3. It might blow your drain pipe up. Really.... Drains in US homes are supposed to be built with the same pressure-rated pipe and fittings that is used for the fresh-water supply pipes,,,, but sometimes they're not. Especially in poorer areas where handyman dimwits have made shitty repairs ("drain" pipe is thinner and cheaper than normal PVC pipe, and 'drain' pipe isn't pressure-rated).
>>
>>1011522
Your vent might be clogged.
>>
>>1011532
yep, have the same one...with 20% and freebie coupon

>>1011522
find a cleanout and check to see if it's filled with water or not (ie. slowly open with a bucket underneath, the pressure might cause a spray)

if so, the clog is after....if not, the clog is before
(if it is after, you can try the bladder)

trace the pipe as much as possible and get a 3/8" snake as long as the entire run is
>>
>>1011532
This thing looks awesome.. but I cannot find them anywhere in my country/Europe.

We used snakes as I said but most of them just gets twisted backwards after a few tries. I don't think we force it too much, I think they are just cheapo snakes - but all of them are noname ones here.

We have strong pipes btw, so it should not be a problem.
>>
>>1011606
>gets twisted backwards after a few tries
what does that mean...
>>
I have used this to great success in both my kitchen, tub, and shower. Fill up till. There is water around the drain about inch or so and plunge it with a plunger like a maniac. If that doesn't work electric drain snake fown the vent pipe. Only do that if you are not an idiot. FYI a electric drain snake is around 4 to 5 hundred bucks.
>>
>>1011522
Pour some sodium hydroxide and a heap of aluminium foil and light it, then some sulphuric acid in there, followed by some nitric acid.
>>
Get one of these. I find the trick is to get about an inch of water above the drain then pumb back and forth while forming a seal, occasionally lifting to admit more water. Once you have a solid slug of water from the plunger to the clog, a few pumps should shift it, it's actually the back stroke which is more effective at breaking up the clog than the forward stroke because it lifts and breaks it rather than packing it tighter.
>>
>>1011609
Choke up on the snake, you have way too much slack outside the clean out. Feed a few inches then free spin and repeat. If possible run water as you feed the snake, plus put a slight bend in the pigtail so it wobbles as you turn
>>
>>1011648
I wasn't saying I have that problem, I didn't even know what op was talking about

I've always used them by simply sticking the end into a drill...if you go full speed, it will twist on itself and can screw up the snake, but on low, it definitely helps going around bends
>>
You can try the old redneck method, get a cork that will plug the drain, pack a ton of baking soda in the drain as deep as you can, leave some room though, dump some vinegar down the drain quickly, when your volcano starts spewing jam the cork in the drain and hold on for dear life. You can clear some pretty solid clogs with it, then after the pressure dies down open it and immediately dump boiling water into the drain.
>>
>>1011522
Won't help out in you situation but:

When I was in the Navy and sometimes we had deck drains get clogged, this was a Carrier and many of the Air Divisions spaces had high pressure hydraulic lines passing through and needed a drain, in case they ever leaked, these lines were for the catapults, so our drain was clogged, this was the Forward Flight Deck Crew's break and looker room, Chief comes and takes a look, guy was ancient must have been 40, tells us to go grab some a 5 gallon bucket of Dry Cleaning Solvent, we had a ton of it on our ship, he had us pour it down the drain, waited, and dropped a burning paper towel down the drain, then he, quickly, clamped the drain closed, the drain had a valve and stopper on it, we heard and felt a huge bang, ship was operating in the North Atlantic, this event happened at night, the ship slowed, had an alarm go out on the 1-MC, fire and damage control crews showed up, Officer in Charge shows up, relieved to see the Chief, "anything happen in here?", "Nope", he told them we heard a huge bang, in daylight there was a huge black streak down and up from the drains exit in the ships hull, the down was oil, grease, burned stuff, the up was from the smoke and flames, there was an investigation, thankfully several drains lead to the one exit port, during the night we tossed the DCS cans over the side and did a little painting, Chief told us not to worry, but if anyone got itchy to tell the Master at Arms anything, that he would make our asses really sorry, solvent worked great never had any drain trouble the rest of the cruise, we were able to use that drain as our urinal until we got back to Norfolk, good times, Haze Grey and Under Way
>>
File: images (38).jpg (20 KB, 426x345) Image search: [Google]
images (38).jpg
20 KB, 426x345
Drain rod set nigger
>>
>>1011728
Coke + Mentos might work too. Put mentos down and quickly put coke in and block your end straight away and pressure will build up and push all the shit out of other end
>>
>>1011522

I've used:

Round Drain snakes in high power drills.

Flat Drain snakes. (Harder to break)

Pressure washers rigged to break lines (steel washer hoses are nice too) and fed down drains and sealed/packed so it can't blowback.

10+ gallons of rolling boil hot water will break up nearly anything. Just block/cork/stopper other drains on the same line first.
>>
Hot women
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.