[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tfw pvc alone costs $700 What are the biggest irrigation projects
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160619_124626_01.jpg (940 KB, 1440x2460) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160619_124626_01.jpg
940 KB, 1440x2460
Tfw pvc alone costs $700
What are the biggest irrigation projects you've done?
>>
>>1011102

don't use pvc

if somebody decides to replace your water with napalm and lights your irrigation system on fire you'll be breathing chlorine gas, that's the reason why PVC is banned in a lot of countries for certain applications.
>>
>>1011127
Ayyyy
>>
and it aaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllll could have been done with one large roll of PEX and some shark-bite fittings
>>
>>1011102
wow look at that fucking pipe!
how thick is the wall of that pipe?
they are ripping you off buddy you need like half that thickness on the small pipe. big pipe looks about right.
how big is your garden? should have bought one of those self winding sprinkler reels farmers use.
>>
Doesnt pvc become supper brittle over time, accelerated by uv exposure?
>>
>>1011127
idiot neighbor was burning pvc pipe cuttings.
>>
>>1011178

Michigan or Russia?
>>
>>1011166
>irrigation
shit i hope you don't have much sun underground where you live op
>>
>>1011144
>shark-bite fittings

Do those still have lead in them or did the laws finally get changed to put a stop to that shit?
>>
>>1011150
They're the same fucking thickness you unbelievable retard. All of that shit is Schedule 40.
>>
>>1011144
>shark-bite
>for large projects
Enjoy paying 10x what you would have to pay in copper
>>
>>1011212
but thats stupid.
smaller pipes require less wall thickness for the same strength
how about look in the mirror before you next call someone a retard
>>
This thread is awful, especially these

>>1011144
>>1011150
>>1011166
>>
>>1011214
They're not SUPPOSED to be the same strength. The larger shit is probably not even pressure rated, no big box hardware store stocks anything but unrated DWV above 2-2.5".

Fucks sake you're an idiot.
>>
>>1011216
why do you need such thick wall for a fucking sprinkler system
>>
>>1011219
Because this is a civilized nation that uses pressure rated pipe?
>>
>>1011222
>civilized nation
sorry i thought you were being serious, now i see it was all a big joke!
>>
>>1011219
Why would you go out of the way to hunt down a pipe with a thinner wall to pay more for it? Especially when you'll never find it.
>>
>>1011102
Is this for a greenhouse OP?
>>
>>1011228
it would cost less because there is less material and it weighs and the OD would be less less so it would cost less to ship. it would cost less gas and take less time to transport because it would be lighter for the same amount. it would take less time to install because more could be carried at one time or by fewer people. also the trench would be smaller. you could fit more of it up your mothers pussy. the energy and material required to produce it would be less and therefore more environmentally friendly.
>>
>>1011233
>how the free market system works: an inside look from my parent's basement
>>
>>1011233

You know what the biggest price on these fuckers is?

logistics management.

in redneck: It's cheaper for me (in terms of time and money) to pay for a local premium hooker than to localize your mom, arrange a travel itinerary, move to location and and then bang your mother, even though she'd do it for free.
>>
>>1011178
Were you sitting by the fire roasting marshmallows? No? Then you're fine. The dangers of burning plastic are overstated.
>>
>>1011241

nr1 cause of death from an electrical fire in older buildings?

PVC smoke inhalation.
>>
>>1011185
Detroit here, we just torch the house, burning pvc is incidental.

R.I.P. Devils night
>>
>>1011185
redneck america.. so its like a combination of the two.
>>
>>1011244
>nr1 cause of death from an electrical fire in older buildings?
>PVC smoke inhalation

Citation needed.
>>
>buying at homeless despot
regardless, that that shit back, and buy polyethylene pipe, 150$ per 300ft roll
>>
>>1011239
i own my own home

>>1011240
yes logistics i covered that, its cheaper to move pipe that has less material and so weighs less
>>
>>1011497

I'm gonna get a Nobel prize for discovering and isolating the densest material known to man
>>
>>1011249

SFPE Handbook of Fire Protection Engineering
>>
>>1011524
they already discovered it, its used to make pvc pipes in america.
just admit it, the pipe walls are so thick because you retards use inches and nobody was clever enough to work out what fraction of an inch was appropriate because its such a retarded system
>>
File: coolface trollface mask.png (49 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
coolface trollface mask.png
49 KB, 604x453
>>1011566

I just dropped in.

Is this guy for real?
>>
>>1011497

The logistics of PVC pipe is usually taken up by the fact that it takes up so much space and not so much how much it weighs.
>>
I install residential irrigation for a living. Mostly new construction, some commercial, and some on older houses/repair. AMA
>>
>>1011594
well if the wall is thicker then it takes up more space for the same ID
use your brain
>>
>>1011596

But when you have a truck that can carry 21 tons gets filled to the brim with pipe and the pipe only weighs 6 tons then where you start to loose out is on this thing in logistics that we call DEAD SPACE of all 95%.
>>
>>1011219
the last sprinkler system I worked on ran around 110 PSI. This was on a golf course.
>>
>>1011497
It's much easier to work with the thicker stuff and it's less likely to shatter.

The thin stuff breaks if you look at it funny.
>>
>>1011604
>it costs less to transport a smaller number of units that are heavier but take the same space
yuo said it yourself chump, its dead space not dead weight
>>
>>1011591

I'm assuming he's trolling at this point, but he might genuinely be retarded too.
>>
>>1011497
>it's cheaper to move pipe that has less material
That may be true, but buying pre existing stock from a big box store only incurs a minimal cost of shipping on the consumer. If the consumer special orders the pipe for delivery the entire cost is on the consumer.

If a consumer can buy pre existing stock from a manufacturer that can pump out thousands of feet per day they'll get a better price to than something that a manufacturer only makes in small batches. Especially if it's an instance where they need to be specially made per the consumers specifications. That's time, that is man hours, that potentially slows production of their more profitable products.

So yes, you're right that it'll cost less in materials and shipping, but that savings is lost by those other factors.
>>
>>1011102
I worked on the lining project of the All-American Canal.... Guess that qualifies as the biggest irrigation project I have done.
Beat that.
>>
>>1011222
Schedule 20 is often used in irrigation applications.

>>1011228
Schedule 20 is generally cheaper, but good luck fucking finding it locally.
>>
>>1011241
No, but the whole neighborhood smelled like ass whenever he would start burning scrap.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.