[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Repairing nylon gas tank
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: IMGP8643sm.jpg (160 KB, 1344x900) Image search: [Google]
IMGP8643sm.jpg
160 KB, 1344x900
Everyone tells me it's not possible. Shelling out 1100$ for new tank isn't an option either.

I cant believe no company has developed a compound to work with this, but now it seems that everything either doesn't stick to nylon, doesn't hold up to gas or becomes brittle when cured.

Pic. related, the hole. Seems like someone had used epoxy or tried welding it before and it all came out like shattered pieces of glass, leaving me with this 3mm gap.

Also. It's a far end of the gas tank, virtually unreachable from the inside which makes it more difficult to work with.
>>
I don't think anyone over here will tell you that it is possible either, because there is no safe way to do it
>>
>>1010918
have you tried getting it plastic welded? it worked when my brother broke the head light shroud on his 85 xl250.
>>
>>1010923
I called few places, but most said they need to be able to access the place from inside for a reliable job.
>>
>>1010918
literally fuel resistant epoxy and fibreglass. they probably used body bog which isnt resistant to fuel.
>>
>>1010918

Plug it with some JB water weld putty.
>>
Sorry to not contribute, but what bike has an 1100$ gas tank? BMW? Fucking kikes

Me and some buddies once repaired the gas tank on his 50$ chinese 250 dirt bike with shoe goo. It held for about 2 days. I'm sure if you were to find an epoxy that wouldn't dissolve in contact with fuel you could have a more permanent fix.
>>
>>1010971
>Sorry to not contribute, but what bike has an 1100$ gas tank? BMW? Fucking kikes
Almost guessed it. KTM.

It seems that only reliable thing for Nylon is Silyl modified polymer glue which unfortunately don't support gasoline.

And JB Weld doesn't list Nylon anywhere. It does say it wont stick to PE and PP plastic (which usually means similar properties for PA as well).
>>
Build or buyfag a steel tank. Never look back
>>
>>1010980
Is that little crack in the picture the only one? If I was you, I'd follow the golden rule, if it's already fucked you can't fuck it any worse, and attempt a plastic weld from the outside. They sell plastic filler rod at HF.
>>
Mohawk epoxy holds up to fuel. I'm unsure about how well it would work with pressure in the system though.
My brother had a Taurus with a cracked filler neck and he used some walnut epoxy on it. I'd avoid using the black or white Mohawk epoxy, white takes hours to cure and is brittle and black never really cures.
At my old work place we used this for repairs on doors that were damaged.
>>
>>1011068
Motorcyle gas tanks (usually) aren't pressurized. Well at least dirt bikes aren't. They've even got a vent right at the top of the tank that just vents to atmosphere.
>>
>>1011068
Neat. It really lists Nylon as supported material. No mention of gasoline though.
>>
>>1011116
I'd say if it's cheap just go ahead and buy some, make a test piece, throw it into some gasoline and see if it degrades over time
>>
You can do it, and I have done it on a plastic Aprilia tank before.

I used combination of JB Water Weld epoxy and some fibre glass. Worked a treat.
>>
>>1010918
since it is already fucked why not give the JB water weld a try, either that or start looking for a second hand tank, although I can't imagine there'd be that many out there, maybe someone sells and aftermarket tank you can use?!
>>
Check the 3M and Lord websites to see what they recommend.

You could also ask their tech support, though I'd not mention it's a fuel tank, just the material.
>>
>>1010918
Rough it with low grit sand paper and use a shit ton of JB weld.

That's you're best option.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.