[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bored as fuck making a longboard or rather right now making the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 20160618_205506.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
20160618_205506.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
Bored as fuck making a longboard or rather right now making the template its a 9x41 inch board. Can anyone recommend a strong but flexible wood?
>>
>>1010781
Plywood.
>>
>>1010782
Would that be to soft of a wood? I know I have to use 3 prices of wood about 4mm thin would plywood work that thin? And there is different types or will just any work?
>>
File: 20160618_210221_Pano.jpg (505 KB, 896x4192) Image search: [Google]
20160618_210221_Pano.jpg
505 KB, 896x4192
Panaroma of the entire template, left side might be to small I probs have to redo it
>>
>>1010782
Long boards and skateboards are made by buying single ply wood and laying it with epoxy and using a press to shape it. I've only made one board before and it was ass because I used a sheet of plywood.

>>1010784
Canadian maple is the best wood to use. Read up on this site.

https://ministryofwood.com/
>>
>>1010789
Thanks the site looks awesome, but an epoxy press? I have to make a press then and if its only one piece of plywood then I'm probably going to make a bunch of boards.
>>
>>1010793
Sorry I'm kinda drunk I didn't explain it well. A skateboard is 7 ply, generally longboards are between 7 and 9. The board is made by laying the sheets together with epoxy in the middle and then using a press to make the curves, then cutting out the shape you want.
>>
>>1010784
do you want it to be solid or have some flex?
>>
>>1010797
I prefer flexible
>>
File: FullSizeRender (39).jpg (1 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender (39).jpg
1 MB, 1936x2592
>>1010799
well most boards are either bamboo or maple. at equal thicknesses bamboo is generally more flexible and lighter than maple, but maple can also be made more flexible or stiff by changing the ply count. Maple is much more durable than bamboo. I own boards of both types and I prefer the bamboo
>>
>>1010806
I'm going to have to go with maple then, and do research on ply count, in my area I know there's no bamboo I'll have to investigate further. Thanks for the advice I'll post my result most likely tomorrow or the next day.
>>
File: dropthrough.jpg (63 KB, 453x604) Image search: [Google]
dropthrough.jpg
63 KB, 453x604
18mm birch plywood.
>>
>>1010781

Maple, ash, any boards with good straight grain. Other anons are right, you should make a ply yourself and press them into shape. You will need thin and flexible wood and rubber overlay. Plastics might make a good core
>>
I made one once with a single sheet of thick plywood, at the endpieces i added steelsheets to protect it from rubbing off when picking it up.
It was really sturdy, i got a 100kg guy to jump on it, which surprised me myself that it withstood it.
After that i got a branded concave downhill board, it had cracks and all without being raped, so my impression is that if you do it right, you will be able to use it for quite a long time.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.