[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cast Stone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: cast stone.jpg (798 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
cast stone.jpg
798 KB, 720x1080
Looking into casting my own stone with aggregate and cement but having a hard time sourcing the correct additives/recipe.

Anyone know?
>>
As a geologist, I can assure you that does are a natural product, and not cast. If you want to mold a concrete block, the general receipe is 1 cement, 2 sand, 3 gravel, all by volume rather than mass.
>>
*stones, not does
>>
>>1005534
Sorry, pic was only to show what I'd like to make. There are different admixtures and curing procedures used in the industry for improved durability, etc.
>>
>>1005539
Cure as slowly as possible for maximum strength and durability. Regarding mix, >>1005534 has it right.
>>
>>1005527
Get a chisel and hammer and carve that yourself.
>>
When i was working for a contractor who did a lot of new retail construction, I was surprised that all the facias on the chain stores we actually made of Styrofoam and covered with a skim coat of concrete.
My son and I used this technique when he did the old volcano science project. It came out great and was hard as a rock when dryed.
Hint: if anyone else does this lightly detail it with some splatter spray paint to give it more of a granite look and pick up those miniature trees and bushes from a hobbie shop for model train sets and even add the mini cars, houses and people to get wiped out by the lava flow. Guaranteed A+.
>>
>>1005527
concrete casting is really common and a great way to make cheapo fixtures for bathrooms (countertops with integrated sinks, bathtubs, shower basins, etc.). look up this kind of stuff for a shitload of info on making a form, release agents, coatings etc.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.