[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where can I get/Does anyone have any ideas for an undergrad-level
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: monstrosity (1).png (2 MB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
monstrosity (1).png
2 MB, 1600x1067
Where can I get/Does anyone have any ideas for an undergrad-level robotics project a single person can fund + design + manufacture?

I'm interested in creating some portfolio worthy projects to hopefully get recognized in the robotics industry. I have the summer free. I'd like to do something a bit more interesting than the basic robotics projects you'd see on instructables and shit.

pic related is a chassis I have to work with. I'd like to spend less than $300 or so.
>>
If you don't know how to use and gazebo, ROS, and github, learn that inside and out.

Once you get those down, you can make digital robots, get the design down, then buy the parts you need.

If you go at it like a gorilla on cocane and just buy a bunch of parts you will quickly run out of money and motivation.
>>
>>1005274
I think that's what I've already done. I bought a bunch of stuff thinking building my own robotic arm and autonomous robot would be cool, but it's really not that impressive.

How would I learn to use gazebo/ROS/github practically? As in learning through application to a project. I would join a team for this, normally - so it's hard looking at the budget for an independent project that would actually utilize these things.
>>
>>1005274
Also how would you rank the importance of "learning" the 3. And what languages should I learn and perfect?
>>
>>1005276
Gazebo, ROS and github are all free.

If you arn't Familiar with linux, download ubuntu to a spare partition (you probably won't need more than 20 GB) and setup a catkin WS.

The ROS tutorials are pretty shit, but there are a few good YouTube videos online. for a control board, pick either a beagle bone black or a raspberry pi and get that setup with catkin as well. Github is used to transmit file between the computer you code on and the control board. From there it's just a few python scripts.

First step is to learn ubuntu. After that, Catkin workspaces and github, and then python. Once all of that is done, you'll be able to basically do any robot you want by just importing dicksuck.rosmodule.
>>
OP won't make it in robotics.
>>
>>1005283
Also, gazebo is kind of an oddball that is a physics engine and can jump into the catkin WS you have setup, and basically simulate how the robot would behave in space. Kind of cool to show off to companies, but if you already have all the parts, you don't really need it.
>>
>>1005283
>catkin WS
>>1005285
Do you have an email/steam I could contact you at? I appreciate the information a lot
>>
>>1005251
Check out the Trinity college firefighting competition in Connecticut. My old university team competes in that every year. Its pretty fun.
>>
>>1005285
Alright cheers, supose I'll learn C++ before i try to tackle ROS. At least I have a plan now, thank you
>>
File: image1.jpg (144 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
144 KB, 640x480
Build a robot for the micromouse competitions. This is mine I'm working on now. The motors I used are too weak though so I order a bunch of others to try.
>>
>>1005251
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gOWCVfnN-E
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.