[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guess what I'm making
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: 20160603_163621.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160603_163621.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Guess what I'm making
>>
fishtank
>>
>>1003847
Fish Tank?
Bookshelf?
Oscilloscope?
>>
>>1003847
kindling?
bookcase (throw away tube)?
space taker upper?
>>
>>1003848
>>1003849
ding ding.

Unfortunately I don't have all the supplies yet.

I tried to salvage the front of the CRT to use for the tank but as it turns out, by glass scorer is only rated for like 3-5mm and this thick as fuck glass does not want to break up well.

It's still sitting on the patio so I haven't completely given up on it, but it's unlikely that I'll get to make it exactly like I wanted.

I've already gutted the cabinet, and spent this morning prying up the top so I can install the hinges.

Right now it's basically a goofy empty box with a TV frame on it.
>>
>>1003855
Gay.
>>
>>1003860
yup
>>
>>1003855
You don't want to use the glass anyhow. It's got a toxic coating on the inside and I'm pretty sure it will shatter as you try to cut it. Being a vacuum tube and all.
>>
>>1003855
> I tried to salvage the front of the CRT to use for the tank

Your fish are going to get lead poisoning.
>>
>>1003877
>>1003873
good to know.
>>
>>1003877
>>1003873
I was going to try and find a bowfront tank but the one I found that will match the dimensions was fucking expensive, like $180. Too rich for my blood right now.
>>
I bet it's a dragon dildo.
>>
>>1003847
A trash pile
>>
>>1003847
A huge mistake?
>>
>>1003847

does it work hope you even tried plugin in before anything else
>>
>>1003847
a mess
>>
File: gentle persuasion.jpg (46 KB, 397x520) Image search: [Google]
gentle persuasion.jpg
46 KB, 397x520
>>1003889

turn it into a oven
>>
File: 00B0B_4tP9a6NHGWc_600x450.jpg (18 KB, 337x450) Image search: [Google]
00B0B_4tP9a6NHGWc_600x450.jpg
18 KB, 337x450
>>1004296
Uhhhhhhhhh ok

Picking up this tank after work from a guy on craigslist. Its going to fit perfectly.

Things are coming together
>>
>>1003855
could be cool if done well. cats wold love it. its nice a low to the ground for easy viewing!

many years ago I made a book case out of one of these. turned out well. used it for many years then gave to a friend who was buying his first place. I assume this is one of the TVs that had a WOOD case. the later ones were plastic made to look like wood. those aren't good for conversion projects.
>>
>>1004541
Yeah, its mostly just particle board. The moulding on the top of the front face is actually plastic, but I couldn't tell until I started pulling the top board off.

All I really need to do now is seal the inside with some poly to protect it from splashes, and then work on the aquarium itself.

Going to put a bunch of those glo tetras in it. Trying to find a liner for the back and sides that looks outer spacey but I am probably going to have to get that online if I want it to be fluorescent too.

I'm gonna mount a power strip onto the inside of the box, put in some hinges and one of those little hydraulic dealies to hold the lid open, and then probably line the inside of the lid and the top of the cabinet with some kind of felt because the glue left some parts of the particle board torn.

Will continue to post as I slowly put it together.
>>
>>1003847
Destroying a well preserved CRT TV to make some hipster shit.
>>
>>1004574
Destroying hipster shit to make some hipster shit. I see no problem here.
>>
>>1004588
Its fucking cringeworthy to any aquarium owner.
OP obviously doesnt know what he is getting into.

Having an aquarium is hard, unforgiving, and very expensive. Its a terrible hobby honestly, and unless you have a hardon for fish its not even rewarding for someone like OP.
>>
>>1004553
>All I really need to do now is seal the inside with some poly to protect it from splashes

The glass will sweat, the tank itself puts out high levels of humidity in the air making everything moist. Splashes are the least of your worries when talking about fucking particleboard.
>>
>>1003854
idiot dipshit fucktardo
>>
>>1004604
>Having an aquarium is hard, unforgiving, and very expensive. Its a terrible hobby honestly
I would have to 2nd that. tried just a small tank with goldfish for the kids and it was a huge pain in the ass. fish kept dying. cleaning it every other day and it still never really got clean. water pumps, lights, electricity usage. all = not worth it.
now have a small bird [finch] and its a much much easier 'pet' to have. add water, add food, change the paper in the bottom of the cage every now and then. done. easy. and the bird 'singing' in the morning is nice. finches aren't very loud.
I've seen where people convert things like this (old dressers) into rabbit hutches or bird cages. supposed you could also do hamster or guinea pig cage as well.
>>
>>1003889
you could try vacuforming a piece of plastic.
>>
>>1004604
I know having an aquarium is a pain in the ass, I'm putting this together so I can have an aquarium that I like that will be more of a conversation piece.

I saw something, I liked it, I thought I'd do it myself instead of spending the money on one that was already done.

What's the big deal?

>>1004606
I guess the glass may sweat, I live in a fairly humid area as it is and keep my house at pretty much the same temperature year round. I figure if I seal it I'll be alright. Plus I'm going to have to install a false bottom for the tank to sit on anyway so if it does sweat and drip down it'll go onto whatever board I throw in there and not the pb.
>>
>>1004731
That's because goldfish are a type of karp that are sold when very young. They live a long time and get very, very big. The amount of waste they produce is so great that they can eat and shit themselves to death without a huge space to live in.

Next time try a betta
>>
>>1005085
yeah, technically golfish are supposed to live like at least 10 years or something?

you put them in a tiny tank and they just die
>>
>>1005094
Most fish have a decently long life if you keep your water quality high and keep their stress low.

>>1005085
Someone I knew from high school had a 10 gallon with 2 goldfish. I only went in her house a few times, but the water was always dark brown.

The goldfish grew huge and were probably 8 or 9 inches, they were fat as fuck. Had nowhere to go, obviously the water was rarely changed.
It was really sad, but I guess they are pretty hardy fish.

She won them at a carnival, so just bought an aquarium kit and threw them in it.
>>
>>1005065
> so I can have an aquarium that I like that will be more of a conversation piece.

We know. People who actually want to have and care for an aquarium arent doing faggoty etsy projects.

>What's the big deal?

Not only is it a dumb almost cliche project that has been done to death, you clearly arent going to care for your fish.
And you expect to get support from the /diy/ crowd and the aquarium crowd?

On both fronts people think you are retarded.

>spending the money on one that was already done.
Who is selling this?
All you are doing is sticking an fish tank into a box.
>>
File: 20160607_200113.jpg (4 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160607_200113.jpg
4 MB, 4160x2340
>>1004731
>>1004604
Not saying I'm the best aquarium keeper but feel free to ask any questions.
>>
>>1005139
Uploaded it from my phone. Sorry for the upside down pic.
>>
>>1005135
calm down bro.

>you clearly arent going to care for your fish
what have you read that even comes close to supporting that?

Do you go into pet stores and yell at children who are picking out fish for their first aquariums?

>>1005139
looks nice. How much extra work is it to have the living plants in there? I've read that the Glofish feel safer in nice dense vegetation, it would be cool to plant some stuff.

But would the lighting for the fish fuck up the plants?
>>
>>1005148
>what have you read that even comes close to supporting that?

Literally everything you have said, from buying fucking glofish, to putting the tank in a TV, to scoffing at the idea of spending 180$ to set up your first tank.
You are doomed, you will quickly realize that fish are high maintenance pets, and your "conversation piece" is a lot harder and a lot more expensive than you originally thought.

>Do you go into pet store and yell at children who are picking out fish for their first aquariums?

Nope, my LFS does a great job of educating people on the costs and processes of fishkeeping.
The retards buying cheap injected glofish at petsmart get whats coming to them.

>But would the lighting for the fish fuck up the plants?

You have to buy grow lights with the correct spectrum and intensity for your plants to grow.
The hoods for a tank that size cost over 100$ themselves.
>>
>>1003847
pocket pussy
>>
>>1005139
how do you keep the water in it with it upside down?
>>
>>1005171
Gravity obviously
Hes an Australian.
>>
>>1005148
You need full spectrum lights for the plants. I don't think the UV lights for the fish will do anything to harm the plants, at least if you don't use them excessively. Just use them when watching.

I use CO2 and EI dosing. Here's an article about it. Will try digging out another tomorrow.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=6067
>>
>>1005264
>http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=6067
wow. Looks complicated. will read a bit more later on.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.