[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Casting Gold
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: One ring to rule them all.jpg (134 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
One ring to rule them all.jpg
134 KB, 1000x1000
I was wondering what type of material I would use to make a custom mold for gold. Thanks in advanced.
>>
>>1003745
No answer from me, but on this same topic, I was wondering if it's possible to remove the impurities from, say, 18k gold and make 24k gold out of it.
>>
>>1003745
milled a block of graphite for a mold because its what I had on hand but I think most people would use investment casting.
>>
>>1003745
3rd cucked fag interested - getting tied in Oct.

I've contemplated doing a silver coin ring, just not digging the symbolism of being tied to the Federal Reserve.
>>
>>1003745
> I was wondering if it's possible to remove the impurities from, say, 18k gold and make 24k gold out of it.
According to wikipedia, gold refining uses either the Miller process (use chlorine gas to dissolve the impurities) or Wohlwill process (electrolysis using chloroauric acid).

Both of which seem somewhat risky if you don't actually have a clue what you're doing. You'd almost certainly be better off selling the 18k and buying 24k.
>>
File: investment-casting.png (75 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
investment-casting.png
75 KB, 640x480
So does the wax just burn out, or am i missing something?
>>
>>1003766

that diagram is missing a step, your supposed to fire the mold in a kiln to harden it and pre heat it before adding the metal

heat in kiln right side up until the shell hardens a bit then turn upside down to drain wax, then complete the firing

that image is closer to general motors "lost foam process" which uses styrofoam in stead of wax and does indeed, just burns out
>>
if you haven't already done it, more than likely it's not going to happen...it won't be cheap or easy

1. create ring out of jeweler wax
2. attach to molding form
3. fill form with plaster
4. let cure
5. fire in a kiln to heat it up, and burn out the wax
6. melt the metal in a casting centrifuge
7. centrifuge spins to force the molten metal into the cavity from the burned out wax
8. quench plaster form in water
9. retrieve newly cast ring
10. cut off mold stem from ring, grind, buff
>>
>>1003748
There are no impurities, it's alloyed with another metal to make it stronger because 24k gold is like butter.

Yes you could probably dissolve the gold in acid and chemically separate out the other metal.
>>
The """""""""""plaster""""""""""" is really called investment. Use plasticast or similar, whatever you can get in the smallest amount.

I mix by hand/eye, tepid to warm water, mix in investment til pancake batter thickness, vacuum, pour in flask, vacuum. You can skip vacuuming it, any bubbles will just need to be filed off afterwards and im sure you keks will be more than happy to do that
>>
>>1003758
how is this done?
>>
>>1003999
Coin is drilled, then hammered over a round mandrel with a soft mallet until even and the size you want. You can see the stretching of the lettering where it was expanded.
>>
>>1003999
nice trips. There are tons of youtube videos, anyone could do it
>>
>>1003777
>lost foam process
I've seen similar with aluminum casting from 3d printed casting.
>>
>>1003758
No Federal Reserve existed pre-Year X.
Use coins from pre-X
?
Profit!

I am mystified as to how to make those coins -- I assumed a great deal of pounding involved???
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.