[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know literally nothing about electronics, but I scavenged a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: hairdryer motor.jpg (181 KB, 1532x1432) Image search: [Google]
hairdryer motor.jpg
181 KB, 1532x1432
I know literally nothing about electronics, but I scavenged a hair dryer motor, still works fine. What would I have to do if I wanted to connect it to the mains power supply.

I want to put a dimmer switch on it also, to regulate the air flow into my forge.
>>
>>1003561
>What would I have to do if I wanted to connect it to the mains power supply.

Whatever was done when it was still a hairdryer. Just lose the shell and keep the electrics.
>>
Why did you take the hairdryer apart? Most hairdryers some ability to change airflow. Seems to me like you are trying to over complicate it and are now in over your head.
>>
>>1003561
See if it'll run off of a 12VDC adapter.
>>
>>1003561
I've opened a hairdrier before and that is a DC motor, as there's a single diode rectifier somewhere, to run the motor without blowing up the heating element acts as a voltage divider, with the output connected to the motor.
I tried to run it with 12 volts and it works fine, but I suspect it runs on 24 volts or something like that, so yeah, get a 24 volt DC power supply.
>>
>>1003630
Forgot to add, you can use a 555 to make the dimmer, they work great with motors and LED lights.
Just replace the LED diode by the motor.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>>1003561
Did the same thing one day, I just took the DC motor and place it in my motors collection.
>>
>>1003571
>>1003610
It was my sisters, the heating element had stopped working, so I took it apart and stored the motor because it was cool. Found it again after months. Wish I had kept the rest.

>>1003616
Actually I think I have something that might work in the garage. I'll investigate in the morning, thanks Anon.
>>
File: 51770c5bce395f3149000000.png (39 KB, 947x897) Image search: [Google]
51770c5bce395f3149000000.png
39 KB, 947x897
>>1003641
If you forget the flyback diode you won't have a fun time.
>>
>>1003561
I used a 12v transformer for mine. Works really well as a forge blower. Check the voltage you need on the motor, you may need to google the parts number to find a datasheet.
>>
>>1003707
What's the flyback diode for? Is it to reduce emf or is it to act as a half wave rectifier? Hard for me to understand from the schematic
>>
>>1003561
Those are not made for continuous-duty use, it'll burn out. Get a small AC blower (all metal parts) that's rated for continuous use, and set up a diverting valve arrangement so you can control the airflow into your forge.
>>
>>1003787
Its to reduce inductive spiking. It should be used when switching any inductive load.
This is a good video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXGtE3X2k7Y
>>
>>1003561
>I want to put a dimmer switch on it also, to regulate the air flow into my forge.
dimmer switches don't like inductive loads like motors
please for fuck sake will people stop trying to do this what is the fascination
a hairdryer motor will probably work on mains voltage, you should have looked at what was inside the switch on the hairdryer
an autotransformer (variable transformer) would be ideal
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.