[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Earth Battery with Zinc and Copper wires
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: Potato Battery.jpg (81 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Potato Battery.jpg
81 KB, 720x480
How would this work in reality?
>>
The rods will corrode, that's kinda how a battery works.
>>
>>1002430
What I mean is how would this be assembled, the copper and zinc rods being combined with a chargers cord.
>>
>>1002428
.25 x12 inch Zinc extrusion:15$
.25 x 12 inch copper: 8$
Wire: 5$, free
USB: 5$, free

23-33 dollar experiment OP. Amazon has everything you'd need. Hell, you cpuld probably source copper for free. Zinc may be harder.
>>
>>1002432
What do you mean how? It shows you. Id notch the rods at the top to wrap wire around, and solder if possible. Clamping with plastic should work. You'll then need to wirenut to the USB male adapter. Id personally just measure the voltage, as I don't see how the fuck you're going to get DC 5V from the ground.
>>
I could see getting measurable voltage from this (depending on soil conditions) but not charging a phone. The voltage would be way too variable. Soil temperature, Ph, and moisture can all change based on weather, and all of those wil laffect he effficiency and even existence of a battery.
>>
>>1002437
What's the wire suppose to be made from? I'm starting to get interested in this sort of thing so I don't know much.
>>
>>1002434
old scrap zinc plated roofing panel: free
salvaged wire from old appliances: free
salvaged copper pipe: free

You can use anything galvanized since most all of it is zinc. However you don't need zinc specifically, you only need two different metals, any will do. Though the amount of voltage you get depends on what two metals they are.

>>1002428
I used zinc-coated nails and pieces of copper pipe. You have to use something like a plastic pot scratcher and baking soda to shine up the metals so they make better contact. Then stick them in the ground. You also need a shit load of them and they need to be fairly close together. Oh, and the ground has to have enough moisture content to make it work. And, if you want it to be a biological action you'll have to ensure there's enough microbes in the soil you're using to actually steal their electrons from to make it work (mud is best really.) However, if you want better voltage you'll have to piss on everything so the ground is soaked with electrolyte. Because soil types are different everywhere.

Yeah, you won't be making enough wattage from this to charge a phone. You are literally better off sticking the electrodes into a jar of your own piss, or vinegar, or basic electrolyte.

Big tip, take the carbon rods out of old dead batteries to use as one of the electrodes. Alternatively you can buy gouging rods that you use with a welder to cut metal with.

The one I made was like the OP image. There's more cost in the metals than anything else and you need to use series-parallel to get your volts and amps just right for your device, but like I said you need a fuck ton of electrodes for it to have enough wattage for anything at all.
>>
>>1002428
Why stick it in the ground? Just use an electrolyte solution, it'll be more efficient.
>>
>>1002428
buy a fucking potato clock if you want to try this kind of thing out, all of the energy (voltage) comes from galvanic corrosion. you can use any two metals pretty much, google the anodic index or some shit to see, the bigger the difference the more voltage you get, zinc and copper are just easily obtainable, anything galvanised (like nails or rod) is just covered in zinc, thats what glavanised means, and copper pipe/wire is used for plumbing/electricity.

>>1002439
literally anything it doesn't matter. use bell wire, equipment wire, mains wire hell even tv coax if its all you have. the thickness of the wire determines the current before it melts, the thickness of the insulation determines the voltage before you get a shock through it. for a few pegs in the ground both current and voltage will be so low you will struggle to find wire that won't be capable.
>>
Did the same thing OP, got a bunch of copper rods and zinc plates.
5 cu rod + zn plate cells yielded 2.56 V DC. Went up to about 3V when I >>1002442 pissed all over it.

It's a cool concept that does work, but it's not nearly as easy or simple as your picture suggests. Also, yes your copper cathode will corrode as the galvanic effect occurs. If you want to make a real battery, get a bunch of mason jars and use lead plates and zinc plates separated by plastic or insulation. Fill with piss, connect, and then find some way to use the meager amount of power
>>
Would this have better results in cow slurry?
>>
>>1002428
theres vids on youtube of how to do this.
it doesnt work very well
>>
Could it power garden lightts?
>>
>>1002902
maybe... but do you really want a big pile of cow shit or piss in your front yard with little probes sticking all over it when you could just get some of those nifty solar lights??
>>
>>1002428
Yes, but you would need A LOT of rods and it's not cost effective at all.
>>
File: earthbattery_43rh4_ac.jpg (408 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
earthbattery_43rh4_ac.jpg
408 KB, 960x1440
>>1002428
i warned ya bro
>>
>>1002902
>>1003694
You could with the LED lights. You can use the tiny pcb from the solar yard light to up the voltage to make the LED work. Or, make your own inductor or Joule Thief to do it. You'll need the amps to get anything useful out of the lights though and that will be difficult.
>>
I've never understood the whole "earth battery" thing. You do realize the power comes from the metal, not the earth, right?
>>
It may work, but I would recommend using a capitor to maintain its charge, possibly even a series pass transistor circuit. Or you could power a portable charger from the ground and then use that to charge your phone to be on the safe side
>>
>>1002444
To trick dumb africans into thinking it's magic ofcourse.
>>
>>1003718
k-kathe?
>>
>>1003788
The metal came from the earth.
>>
File: 18awuv2ejkwwfjpg.jpg (17 KB, 500x241) Image search: [Google]
18awuv2ejkwwfjpg.jpg
17 KB, 500x241
>>1002428
No thanks, I have one of these.
>>
>>1002434
>>1002428

yes, but I doubt you will get exactly 5 volts out of it.

if it actually works, you could ruin your phone
>>
>>1003788
lemon battery
alkaline battery
Weston cell
>>
>>1003861
Couldn't you just make a voltaic pile and have it be more effective than an earth battery? I mean literally the first battery ever developed blows an 'earth battery' out of the water.
>>
>>1003861
No shit. I'm saying you don't get free energy from the ground. It's more efficient to just put both electrodes in a cup of vinegar or something.
>>
>>1003861
3deep
>>
hmmmmmm pennies have both copper and zinc....

how do I make rolls of pennies power my cellphone?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.