[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
melt pvc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: FQ9OHWKGM9QL9H8.LARGE.jpg (109 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
FQ9OHWKGM9QL9H8.LARGE.jpg
109 KB, 1024x768
Any ideas for stretching out a pvc pipe to 2-3x its diameter? Think of sort of a large reducing adapter, with one end being the original pipe size and it growing out in a bell shape to the larger diameter.

(The heating would be done with a heat gun.)

Ideally I would love to be able to mount it on a lathe, and turn/spin it to stretch and size it....but that's a bit over budget.

The current plan is just to mount it in a vise and use a rod to bend the shape outward, or clamp the rod and bend the pipe around it.

Someone else was asking about milk bottles; would those be a viable option for flattening into a good size sheet and then joining the sides to make a funnel shape? It won't be under pressure and it doesn't need to be super rigid...
>>
Why?
>>
>>1001550
an equal part would not be as nearly readily available, or would have ridiculous markup
>>
File: grid-cell-28225-1413652026-11.jpg (27 KB, 625x588) Image search: [Google]
grid-cell-28225-1413652026-11.jpg
27 KB, 625x588
>>1001492
This would be perfect to stretch it out.
>>
>>1001559
it wouldn't be nearly thick, hard, and long enough
>>
How about air pressure like glassblowing? Block off one end and blow into the other forcefully after the heated end goes slack.
>>
>>1001566
not a bad idea....I had a toilet flapper I used before to seal up an end up a pipe; no idea what happened to it though
>>
>>1001566
Sounds like you'd make a ball before you'd stretch the tube.

Also enjoy your fumes.
>>
>>1001574
obviously using an air compressor, not one's mouth

and even if it did round out to a ball shape, that would be fine...I'd let it cool a bit in that form, then heat just the latter part to finish expanding it to the final size
>>
>>1001575
>heating plastic will only produce fumes in a small localized area around the plastic
>it will definitely not fill the entire room
Once again, enjoy your fumes.
>>
>>1001492
Find a steel or wooden cone of the size you need. Then heat the PVC, force it on and away you go.

Depending on a the diameter, the tapered wooden feet on an older styler bed might be perfect
>>
>>1001595
there's this new thing, called the outdoors....and also masks

>>1001602
the problem would be I don't know where someone would get something as large I need it to be (starting with 3-4" pipe)
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.