[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
this is one of my first times working with resin, im using easy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: FEDI4TRGA1BD48B.RECT2100.jpg (657 KB, 2100x1750) Image search: [Google]
FEDI4TRGA1BD48B.RECT2100.jpg
657 KB, 2100x1750
this is one of my first times working with resin, im using easy cast brand resin.

So im trying to encase a cicada in some resin, i mixed the hardener half and half with the resin as the directions told me. i have it all set up in a plastic mold, and everything going good, but i felt the side of the plastic, and the resin is really really hot. Is this normal?
>>
>>1001467
It is normal that quick-curing resins get warm. Also, casting large blocks (high volume to surface area ratio) makes them run hotter. Your cicada corpse might have some effect as well.
I hope you vacuumed the bubbles out.
>>
>>1001471
the bottom part that i set the cicada in hardened a little too much, so the top half has a lot of bubbles whereas the bottom is perfectly clear, i ran a hair dryer over it, which got rid of a good bit of the bubbles, but there are a lot that are too deep it seems for the drier to affect
>>
>>1001467
Resin curing is exothermic, so pretty normal. I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>1001474
Pic? Interested in trying this. Where did you get supplies/instructions?
>>
>>1001476
the instructions usually come with the bottles, i got mine at michaels, but i know hobby lobby should have it, maybe even walmart
as for casting the bug i just went off a youtube tutorial
>>
File: IMG_1035.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1035.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>1001476
>>
why the hell would anyone want to do this... cast dead bugs into plastic... like wtf
>>
>>1001874
bugs are natures robots, they're interesting to look at.
>>
While your resin is still very liquid, put it on top of your washingmachine at turbo force. That shake will take most small bubbles out, in case you can't take them out by other method.

And if it cures fast, it will heat, in most cases.
>>
>>1001874
Yet you come to this site.

What's not to understand ?
>>
>>1001467
you can use slightly less hardener and it will be slower / cooler to setup and you will have longer for the bubbles to rise. You'll need to experiment a bit to find the correct amounts. Ambient temperature and humidity also have an effect on how quickly these resins cure.
>>
>>1001874
A guy made a ball warmer and a piss powered hypnosis machine and the thing that weird you out is bugs in plastic.
>>
>>1001973
hahaha now that guy.....

he had a bunch of penile injections too
fuck man that guy was...something else
>>
>>1001968
Also run a vacuum on it to help pull the bubbles out as >>1001471 said
>>
>>1001874
>have mosquito suck your blood
>encapsulate said mosquito
>be resurrected in a future amusement park
>???????????
>Profit??????

It's like you never even saw Jurassic Park
>>
This >>1001968

The reason it's heating up is because you are pouring a large volume with a relatively low surface area. You can reduce the hardener, which will give you more time and probably result in a cleaner pour, or you can fill the mold 1/8" to 1/4" at a time and do several pours. The whole thing will still look solid and continuous even if it is really several layers.

As for bubbles, as previously mentioned you can vibrate them out or vacuum them out. Both methods are good, but the biggest thing you can do to get rid of bubbles is to never have them in there to begin with. When you are stirring the epoxy, stir really really slowly and don't slop it around. It takes longer to mix this way but you end up with a lot less bubbles. Also, don't scrape epoxy from the sides of the container; if it doesn't pour out by itself, don't use it. The epoxy on the sides is usually not mixed as well and will result in soft spots in your final cast.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.