[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been ripping my hair out trying to fix this but I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: received_1200093086670250.jpg (110 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
received_1200093086670250.jpg
110 KB, 800x600
I've been ripping my hair out trying to fix this but I'm not sure how. Long story short. I cross threaded a bleeder valve on a brake. I realized it so I tried to loosen it and take it out. It won't even come out now. It just infinitly loosens or tightens. How could I get it out
>>
>>>/o/
>>
>>1001364
replace brake caliper
ideally get a mechanic to do it because you are too fucking useless to be trusted to do it without fucking up
>>
>>1001384
haha
>>
>>1001364
lol fool, how is getting it out going to help?
>>
>>1001364
Warning: I am not a expert mechanic....

Various thoughts, numbered to make arguing easier:
1. If the rest of the brake system is still put together and you step on the brake, then the stripped plug should pop out. It may come -flying- out, actually.... Maybe with some brake fluid, but anyway.
2. Next,,, how can this be fixed? Well, you might wanna go ask a real mechanic if it is even practical to try. Because...
3. The usual way to repair threads is to use a "helicoil" insert. However....
4. As far as I've seen, helicoils were straight threads, for mechanical fasteners. And in this instance they would need to be tapered (pipe) threads, in order to seal properly. The nature of using a helicoil means drilling and threading a hole that is somewhat larger than the original hole, so the top of the bleed screw isn't likely to cover up the helicoil junction.
5. Even if it might work, you likely could not do it yourself economically (helicoil kits cost money, and the hole size you'd need to drill is over a half-inch) and it's a questionable repair to pay a mechanic to try to do. He may even refuse that job and advise you to just go buy a new caliper. Because for all the time he'd have to spend doing it, you could get a new caliper cheaper.
6. Also buy a torque wrench too perhaps, and don't over-torque the new bleed screw.
>>
File: vac.jpg (306 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
vac.jpg
306 KB, 1280x960
>>1001364
>replace brake calliper

This or cylinder if its rears. I have a similar car in my country and replaced a wheel cylinders as it was leaking. Didn't cost a whole lot. Have also replaced a calliper using one from a wreck I have.

I built a /diy/ vacuum bleeder which makes life so much easier. Left hose goes to bleeder nipple. Right hose goes to manifold vacuum via a long air hose. Put some bricks or similar around the bottle to make sure it won't fall over. Make sure you don't run the master cylinder reservoir dry.
>>
>>1001626
>Because for all the time he'd have to spend doing it, you could get a new calliper cheaper.

The net suggests they are in the $30 - $50 range.
>>
>>1001364
You have to get a new caliper. If you don't , any repair you did will fail and you are going to lose you brakes on the highway.

Don't play around with brakes
>>
>>1001384
100% correct. Replace line and fitting, replace caliper, get someone else to do it so you don't fuck up something this mundane again.
>>
File: DSCN0304.jpg (32 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0304.jpg
32 KB, 640x480
>>1001643
Nigga, you over complicated it.

All you need is one tube and a water bottle
>fill water bottle 3/4 full of clean fluid
>attach to bleeder, open it
>pump your brakes
>air in line pushes out, bubbles out in the bottle on downstroke
>upstroke pulls pure fluid back into the bleeder

Eventually clean fluid from the reservoir will have pushed out all the air, and you will have let 0 air back into the system from the caliper side.

I do this on all my new beaters, if you do it long enough that the fluid runs clean its not just a brake bleed, but a brake fluid flush.
Ive owned a mighty va bleed gun and it never worked as well or as quickly as the water bottle method.
>>
>>1001384
this. Calipers are not expensive. It won't be possible to drill out and re-tap the hole because the tap will hit the back of the hole before you can get it threaded all the way through.
>>
>>1001704

could use a bottoming tap.. but then enjoy the metal shavings destroying your cylinder bore.
>>
>>1001648
Yeah and mechanics are typically $100 an hour and for even an experienced mechanic it would probably take atleast half an hour to 45 minutes. Plus tapping it wont work and its fucking stupid and no mechanic would ever do that shit
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.