[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please help me before I fucking snap. I live above a pool at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: 20160529_180309.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160529_180309.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
Please help me before I fucking snap. I live above a pool at an apartment complex. It's so fucking noisy and I cannot deal with this anymore. Can a sliding glass door be sound proofed? I am totally at fault for choosing this apartment I thought it would be nice to stare at hot chick's but I got were screaming kids. I am going to break my lease and eat 2 grand penalty if I move. I also can move into the back of the apartments but I would like to try and sound proof if possible. I am a terrible handy man, here's a pic of the door. Please help me before I fucking go crazy, there is no deduction of sound when the door is closed. I am losing sleep, I can't sleep, it's fucking hell.

Please help me.
>>
File: 20160529_180329.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160529_180329.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>
>>1000852
bungee cord a matress against it
>>
>>1000852
Short answer is no, you can do things like >>1000854 if you want but it won't help a whole lot, it will just dampen the sound, the most obvious choice is just get some ear plugs (Especially for sleep) or some good headphones if you want to watch tv/listen to music.
>>
>>1000852
>>1000854
Throw the mattress into the pool, it will take a crane to get it out.
>>
File: EH-759x430.jpg (42 KB, 759x430) Image search: [Google]
EH-759x430.jpg
42 KB, 759x430
>>1000857

There's no special glass I cam buy fitted to a proper sized door frame and install myself? I probably sound so dumb I am an idiot with this stuff. Man this sucks. I am just moving, going to buy a house in the fucking woods God damn it. Man this is no good, cannot live like this. I don't even blame the people being loud it just fucking sucks it's literal hell, I cannot escape it. Even my bedroom is worse. Can't sleep any where, was actually contemplating sleeping in my closet but that wouldn't even matter.

I bought a big box fan to damper the noise in the bedroom and it's not enough. I tried ear plugs and had no luck, but they may have just been shit. My headphones are bulky as fuck so I can't sleep on my sides, man I need to figure this out. Fucking moving time I guess. Ty for trying to help.
>>
>>1000860

Fuck that I am going to buy 60 baby Ruths and throw them in. Better yet I ll save my cats crap for 3 months and dump it all in there, bet they have to close that dirty water hole then. Hrmmm might actually do this!
>>
>>1000862
If you tried ear plugs and they didn't work, you were either using them wrong or they were shit.

Yes you can sound proof a room, but you have to do it from the ground up, just throwing some shit over the door or replacing the glass wouldn't do it.
>>
>>1000865

They were some shitty gel based ones, you have any recommendations for pro tier ear plugs I don't care about cost.
>>
>>1000866
I'm a contractor, so I deal with loud shit all day erryday.
What you do is squirt a bit of expanding spray foam into your ears, then pull it out when you're done.
Works like a charm.
>>
>>1000862
I don't know why everybody is talking such shit.
you can get glass that blocks sound better, it's used in some houses/apartments near traintracks and highways.
find a local glass installer, call and ask if they have it.
it'll cost a fair bit but it'll mean that you don't have to move
>>
blankets, foam mattresses, drapes, cardboard boxes filled with packing peanuts stacked up against the wall and door. Don't squash the peanuts becuase you want the sound to get aborsbed thru the packing material, hence, don't use solid bits of large styrofoam either

and even a matress if you have one spare.

put a shade cloth if you can outside mounted properly so it looks nice and then hang another 4 layers.
>>
>>1000909
Because then the sound will come through the walls instead. You can see in the photos that it's just wood cladding, unless you want to add some noise canceling insulation and plasterboard it's not going to be effective.
>>
>>1000852
what about fixing up panels of sound studio foam, pointed outwards towards the outside?
>>
File: turd in pool.jpg (11 KB, 271x186) Image search: [Google]
turd in pool.jpg
11 KB, 271x186
i bet people wouldnt use that pool so much if every few days a turd was found floating in it.
>>
>>1000913
That's not what that stuff is for...it doesn't stop sound from penetrating, it stops reverberation around a room.
>>
>>1000852
best option is sound cancelling earmuffs.

http://www.amazon.com/Crate-Convoluted-Inch-Mattress-Topper/dp/B000MZYDF6

This is the cheapest egg crate style mattress topper I could find. This should block a good bit of sound if you seal up gaps tight.
>>
>>1000913
>>1000921
>Foam soundproofing
Reminder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOzfq9Egxeo
>>
>>1000919
hmm, thanks
>>
>>1000912
yeah but the walls will insulate against sound better than the glass already.
he'd he better off doing the glass and seeing if the improvement is sufficient.
>>
>>1000909
>>1000921
>>1000928

Ty so much. Going to do all of this. If all else fails I will shit in the pool.
>>
>>1000852

BUILD a room within a room with egg cartons and foam and shit glued between the multiple wall layers, just make sure you can take it apart when you eventually move bro. Turn it into one of those slightly raised hearing test booth things.
>>
put up flyers saying there is a pedo in a non-existent apartment
>>
>>1000852
ok op

I got your solution here but yer not gonna like it.

It's a really cheap one but yer not gonna like it.

This process should take a month.

Let yourself go. Don't shave, don't bathe. Don't comb your hair. And what you have to do is, you have to go down there.

Go down there whenever there are kids playing.
Watch the kids play. Don't take your eyes off of them. Lick your lips every now and again.

Do this consistently for a month, and you'll be able to sleep sound with only infrequent clean up visits to that pool.
>>
>>1000949

Thanks dude think this is definitely going to work. I will play non stop sound garden off my phone too. DIY coming through with the clutch ideas I thank you man.
>>
>>1000946
you compounding retardedness with idiocy now - just explain its too fucking loud, and move round back, everyone happy, end of. about thirty seconds research (or half a brain) would have made it fuckng obvious, exactly who hangs out at a communal pool (and screams lots) all day anyway. like, dude, wtf.
>>
>>1000952

I know man its my fault. Been here 4 years too and it's only bothering me recently which is odd. But anyway I take all the blame. I think I will just have to shit in the pool or go the pedo creeper route. Definitely buying those ear plugs though if that doesn't work I ll move.
>>
File: darkness.jpg (3 MB, 2038x1471) Image search: [Google]
darkness.jpg
3 MB, 2038x1471
>>1000923

Watching this 2 hours before my birthday, thanks bro. Cheery stuff m8.
>>
>>1000954
It makes me feel warm on the inside :3
>>
>>1000949
>how to get harrassed by cops or beta numale dads
>>
Roxsul safe and sound mineral wool insulation. Fabric store and 3m spray glue. Wrap each panel and glue. You can crank out a bunch in a few hours. Then stuff them into the windows. Best sound insulation on the market. Relatively cheap as well.
>>
hang sound dampening curtains
>>
>>1000949
You forgot the tattered, peek-a-boo bathrobe over a stained wifebeater/yellowed boxers combo.
>>
>>1000928
>he'd be better of spending a heap of money on something that probably won't work

sure, ok.
>>
>>1000852
Chuck a bucket of shit and animal parts into the pool that should keep it out of use for a week or two.
>>
After 4 years you still have a two grand lease penalty?

I'd check the last lease you signed to be honest.
>>
Fill the pool with acid and car batteries
>>
>>1000915
Underrated post
>>
>>1000915
THIS

Just buy some fake floating turds and throw them to the pool
>>
A dead hooked floating face down should do the trick...
>>
OP here, thinking of doing a dead hooker that might work.
>>
>>1000852
just tell management to close the pool after 11. wtf kind of shit hole do you live in?
>>
>>1000865
not op but similar situation.
I sleep with ear plugs because its the only way I can get to sleep. After wearing them for >=8 hours a day for a couple months straight I now wake up with horrible pain in my ears and they are sore to touch for about half an hour after waking up.
I use to have over the ear headphones too but they broke due to the stress of laying on my side. Also over the ear headphones, if smooth plastic on the muffs, can cause backed up sweat glands/zits or whatever around the ear inside the ear lobe.

tldr: ear plugs/phones are not fun
>>
>>1000906
wouldnt it be better to spray the foam in the source of the noise?
>>
OP you're going to waste more money attempting to sound proof your apartment than you would lose by breaking the lease. If ear plugs don't help, no affordable amount of wall padding and replacement windows/doors will reduce it enough to matter to you.
>>
>>1000852
>>1002012
I think op could get out of it if the landlord didnt disclose that the apartment was noisy to the point that its unlivable.
>>
>>1002013

This is how I feel, OP here and I feel like I got jewed hard. I know it's a community pool but Jesus Christ it's loud. Going to throw some battery and acid, and a hooker into the pool that should sort it out.
>>
>>1002016
yea op, if I were you Id relocate. The landlord should have told you its a shithole. Pretty sure thats illegal under fair disclosure laws or something.
Youre in america right?
>>
>>1002016

How long a lease did you sign? Wait it out and don't renew when it expires. Then visit the area your new proposed accommodation is in at various points in the day and at night to get a feel for noise and behaviour. I've ended up living in untenable tenancies before because of lack of research.

Once bitten, twice shy. Worth spending a few hours checking out a new premise before signing and handing over a deposit etc.
>>
Just put one of those automatic dog whistle things and turn it on 24/7 to piss off the swimmers lol
>>
>>1001634
Underrated post
>>
Add a new sign.

======
Adult supervision mandatory for EVERY child, child protective services will be called immediately upon suspicion of neglect.
======

... aaaaand, done.
>>
>>1000864
This. There are plenty of ways to get a pool shut. For a start try fucking with the chlorine levels, a couple of chemical burned kids ought to shut it down for a good couple of weeks.
>>
>>1001993
A granola bar makes a good improvised pool turd.
>>
>>1002011
In the kids mouths? Great idea.
>>
>>1002098
In the UK at least tenancy law entitles you to "quiet enjoyment" of owned or rented premises. Meaning that anything that breaches the peace could be an illegal offence, regardless of the time of day. Check your local laws, you could have grounds to sue (or at least break your lease without penalty).
>>
>>1000852
could get double glazed windows. they'd save you money on your heating bill too
>>
>>1000915
>>1001993
>>1003570

Nah, not really. You wouldn't know how many times kids shit in pools. I worked as a lifeguard for a few weeks last summer and it happens quite a lot. You just fish out the bits and pieces with a net and that's it. Most people don't even notice it and the pool is definitively not closed.
>>
File: 5663670000000_2.jpg (31 KB, 640x648) Image search: [Google]
5663670000000_2.jpg
31 KB, 640x648
Ear tampons
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.