[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the strongest bending element?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: betheleaf.png (123 KB, 333x250) Image search: [Google]
betheleaf.png
123 KB, 333x250
Alot of guy think airbending is the strongest thats ridiculous.
>>
>>84456820
waterbending technically = all other bending
>>
Depends on what you mean by strongest. If you mean greatest capacity for ruining shit then lavabending has it beat.
>>
The element of SURPRISE!
>>
>>84456830
How?
>>
If we include every possible technique and look at what every master of each was able to do? Waterbending.

Bloodbending m8.
>>
I thought the idea was that none of them are inherently the strongest. They all have balance.
>>
File: ArcanaAvatars.jpg (428 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ArcanaAvatars.jpg
428 KB, 1280x720
The videogames have always made airbening OP, but we can't really use them as a reference. I think it has advantages in Aang's timeline because nobody knows how to fight airbenders anymore, so they're always caught off guard. I bet 400 years before his time Airbenders were pretty weak. I would vote for water, you can freeze people's organs pretty simply I bet.
>>
>>84456896
I didnt say hax you fucktard I said STRONGEST.
>>
File: worldfire.jpg (482 KB, 1105x629) Image search: [Google]
worldfire.jpg
482 KB, 1105x629
>>84456898
If they all had balance then fire needs more healing properties.
>>
>>84456896
If we include EVERY possible technique it has to be firebending, because firebending includes control over heat, and that's terrifying.
>>
>>84456830

Technically all bending is all other bending.

And I dont see how you beat someone who can fly and deny you breathe though lava bending is probably better for mass destruction. You can probably create volcanoes and definitely massive rivers of lava.
>>
Bloodbending
>>
why did waterbending get so many other variations.
water and ice bending, healing, bloodbending, plantbending, spirit purification. Seems they get more than the other elements.
>>
>>84456953
Water bending can do the same with liquid
It's basically organic manipulation on top of that
>>
>>84456959
>lava bending is probably better for mass destruction.

It is hands down better as the bending equivalent of a WMD. Remember when Ghazan took down a giant wall and a temple that had both stood for centuries in a matter of minutes?
>>
>>84456980
Because it's the most fluid
>>
>>84456922
Why wouldn't you include the absolute strongest of what each element is capable of then?

>>84456953
>firebending includes control over heat, and that's terrifying.
Is that true? I thought it was just manipulating fire and lightning.
>>
Could an airbender bend the air out of someone's lungs?
>>
>>84456820
One element isn't inherently stronger than the others. The creative team deliberately made it that way so that skill would be the more important factor.
>>
>>84457075
Yeah. Zaheer did it.
>>
>>84457062
In "The Avatar and the Fire Lord," at the end of the episode, you can clearly see Sozin siphoning the heat out of the volcano.
>>
File: Zaheer kills the earth queen.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Zaheer kills the earth queen.jpg
44 KB, 1280x720
>>84457075
Yes, and it has been done on screen.
>>
>>84456936
It does, ever heard of cauterizing?
>>
>>84457062
Thats not strength thats hax anon.

How powerful is the electrical currents generated by firebenders?
>>
Water.
Bloodbending OP.
>>
File: 891.jpg (103 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
891.jpg
103 KB, 640x640
>>84457153
Zaheer was such a fucking savage
>>
>>84457202
In ATLA it was sort of implied to be a one hit kill shot.
>>
>>84456980
This. Does Air even get a sub element?
Fire has lightning (for some reason) and Earth has Metal (which is just earth again). I would guess that Air gets sound or something.
>>
File: Henry-Rollins.jpg (543 KB, 2500x1667) Image search: [Google]
Henry-Rollins.jpg
543 KB, 2500x1667
>>84457257
And he was voiced by a modern day renaissance man.
>>
>>84457264
Air has flying, which is pretty broken on its own.
>>
>>84457056
Good one but actually air is the most fluid
>>
They're all pretty equal. Isn't it all about balance anyway?
>>
>>84457264
Air's advanced technique is flight, which only two airbenders in history are known to have mastered.
>>
>>84457264
Gas bending or something?
>>
Going off >>84456953 , can a firebender just sort of snap their fingers at someone and cause them to combust?
>>
>>84457260
Yes but so is any bending attack with logic applied, whats the largest thing the electric current can destroy?
>>
>>84457264
Flight, but also control over oxygen since Gyatso pulled a murder/suicide by sealing a room and voiding the whole thing.
>>
>>84457264
astral projection
>>
>>84457334
>Yes but so is any bending attack with logic applied
Umm no. The enternal logic of the show itself implied it was a kill shot.
>>
>>84457353
Gyatso never did that.
>>
>>84457264
Air should get sound but that would probably be obnoxious in a cartoon
>>
>>84457369
>enternal
*internal

>>84457281
The only thing I know him from is He Never Died.
>>
>>84457328
Combustionbending is a thing, and finger snapping is not even required, you just need LOS, you give your target the stink eye, and BOOM.

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Specialized_bending_techniques#Combustionbending
>>
>>84457353
>Gyatso pulled a murder/suicide by sealing a room and voiding the whole thing.
Total fanfiction
>>
>>84457400
He also voiced Mad Stan in Batman Beyond. He was also the singer for Black Flag, is a comedian, and is a published author.
>>
>>84457440
Who the hell does this guy think he is?
>>
>>84457394
>>84457430
I thought that the way the whole room looked when Aang found it, all the soldiers skeletons, Gyatso's clothes on his corpse remaining unburnt, and the fact that it was a huge mass grave implied that he took them all out.
That's what I thought, at least.
>>
>>84457440
He also talked shit about Robin Williams committing suicide.
>>
>>84457408
So would it be possible to produce a kiloton(Hiiroshima) grade explosion in an avatar state with this?
>>
>>84457514
Was it about Robin specifically, or more about suicide in general, and Robin was just his excuse to rant about it?
>>
>>84457655
I think he called Robin, and everyone else who killed themselves, weak, which pissed off a lot of people. Kind of ironic given that he probably ran into Zelda a few times when recording his lines.
>>
>>84457632
Possibly, though we've never been shown any avatar that knew how to combustionbend. Just like before Korra no avatar knew how to metalbend, but then, before Aang metalbending straight up didn't exist. So, in conclusion, it should be possible, you just need Korra or some future avatar to learn how to combustionbend, though seeing as we've only seen two combustionbenders, they appear to be a pretty secretive club.
>>
Ok so fire has literal explosions with combustionbending, and then it electric currents that can destroy rock formations bigger than your house if Azula's feats are anything to say so Firebenders have the most energetic bending meaning they are the strongest.

However basic firebending is weak to the other basic bending forms so theres that.
>>
>>84457710
That sounds like he's more against suicide in general, and didn't have any issues with Robin himself. I share that viewpoint, but I don't voice it unprovoked, especially not where family members or friends might hear me say it.
>>
>>84457824
I think that's what pissed people off. He sounded more disgusted with the people than the act itself.
The guy is apparently kind of a dick, so it doesn't shock me.
>>
I gotta say earth. Earth benders can throw up basically infinite fortifications, turn earth to quick sand, bind people in stone, create sandstorms, and even lavabend.
>>
>>84457890
>and even lavabend

I think lavabending is supposed to be super rare, like even rarer than metalbending, which only 1 in 100 earthbenders are capable of doing.
>>
>>84457890
How common is lava bending though. I mean, can it be taught or is it just a skill that you're born with. Ghazan seemed excited when Bolin revealed that he could do it.
>>
File: 87687432.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
87687432.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>84456896
In theory a metal bender could pull a Magneto and bend the iron in one's blood, achieving similar effects. Then again the logic behind metal bending in the show has always been really fucking inconsistent, so who knows.

Hell, shouldn't it be possible for every other bending school to achieve fire bending-like effects by bending their respective elements in a way that generates a shitload of friction, and therefore heat?
>>
>>84457264

A bunch of anons on /co/ tried to explore soundbending once

It didn't end well
>>
>>84458152
screencap?
>>
>>84458070
That's how Lavabending works, doesn't it?
Also I think how metalbending is "supposed" to work is by bending the impurities in the metal, which is unprocessed stone. I don't think the iron in blood would have that.
But who fucking knows.
>>
Earth bending for combat versatility.
Strong, fast fortifications, and highest level unlocks machine gun. Tremor sense + dust screen useful too.
>>
Couldn't an airbender lower the air pressure in a room so much that it causes your blood to turn to vapor?
>>
Airbending, ridiculous capability that is both fast and simple
>flight
>concussive blasts
>shields
>basically telekinesis
Wielded by a non monk it would be terrifying
>>
>>84458899
>flight

That only two people in 4,000 years have managed to figure out.
>>
>>84458924
You can create one of those hover bubbles that Aang loved or use an air glider and get the same result

If we're talking subclasses of bending then magma, combustion, and metal are all more destructive but in terms of raw bending by the average bender air is probably the best
>>
>>84456820
Obviously earth because the whole fucking Earth is made of earth.
>>
>>84456936
There was that firebender who restored Korras memories using firebending
>>
>>84456830
Water benders is overrated!
Fire benders is the best
>>
>>84458897

Do you even know how skin works? The old school sci-fi notion that you simply explode in space is as idiotic as the notion th you would implode at double atmospheric pressure underwater. Note; it doesn't happen you fucking autistic retard.
>>
>>84456820

Are you the same guy that got asspained and beyond triggered when someone suggested that Waterbenders weren't nearly as op as he believed?

Because that guy is a pussy.
>>
I'm sticking with Firebending and I'll try to be as in depth as possible. Feel free to tell me what you think of my reasoning. The main reason I'm picking Fire over any other element is because fire itself is a feared natural force, you go out in the woods and you see a flowing stream, oh well, you see a bunch of rocks and dirt slide off a nearby hill, cool, A powerful wind hits you and you move back a couple steps, it happens. But you're in the woods or in your backyard or whatever and you see a roaring flame you know you need to act fast and you need to not get burned. Firebending also has a very destructive sub element, lightening. If used properly no one can stand in your way. No one is fast enough to dodge and react to lightening and once you're hit with lightening, game over. If I had to choose a different element I would choose Air, but with using airbending, I'm not going to be in the peaceful mindset of the airbenders from the Last Airbender Show. If I fight it's a fight to the death, simply by taking the air out of your lungs and watching you suffocate or fill your body up with so much air you pop. But that's my opinion of it.
>>
File: 1468210658294.webm (3 MB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
1468210658294.webm
3 MB, 640x272
>>84459202
>No one is fast enough to dodge and react to lightening
>>
File: 1381199317596.gif (364 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1381199317596.gif
364 KB, 350x350
>>84456820
Earth easily. All bending save for avatar state and Zahier flying requires footwork to some extent, earth bending takes that away and in Tophs case turns it against her opponent. Sure Air bending can keep you off the ground but their attacks at range do fuck all to a grounded earth bender plus floating around takes up more stamina then using your feet.

Then of course you got metal bending and all the crazy shit possible with that, and the ultra rare lava bending which has even more applications.
>>
>>84457202

Lightning bending is pretty weird in the show. So weird that I think they should never have put it in. There's no reason Zuko should have been able to outrun that lightning bolt to protect Katara.
>>
>>84456858
did lavabending fall under earth or fire, i can't remember

or is that avatar-only anyway so the distinction doesn't really matter
>>
>>84457353
This actually makes sense, never thought about it like that.
>>
File: Azula smirk.jpg (89 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
Azula smirk.jpg
89 KB, 600x849
>>84456820
Fire. Because burning things is fun! Earthbending is also great, such as metalbending and lavabending.
>>
>>84459746
Earthbending, as Ghazan was seen just bending earth, but never fire, and Bolin is definitely an earthbender. Supposedly having a mixed heritage like Bolin(father was earth nation, mother was fire nation)makes it more likely(though still rare as hell)for an earthbender to be able to lavabend. No word on Ghazan's heritage though.
>>
Earthbending for 3 simple reasons

1) requires less footwork and movements

2) it's fucking everywhere and everyone needs to stand on the ground

3) with 1 and 2 into account, you can basically ambush people, bury them alive and they'll fucking die with no change to bend their respective element.
>>
>>84460215
>Supposedly having a mixed heritage like Bolin(father was earth nation, mother was fire nation)makes it more likely(though still rare as hell)for an earthbender to be able to lavabend
That was just conjecture that spread around for some dumb reason.

Lava isn't fire+earth, it's just molten earth. People just thought it was an avatar thing only since only an avatar was shown bending it.
>>
>>84460225
Yeah, my special snowflake donut steel character I invented hated fighting earth benders for those reasons. With the other types of bending you just gotta worry about dodging their shit, but with an earthbender, you have the added complication of them being able to alter the terrain. That's a pretty substantial advantage in a fight.
>>
>>84460255
In the real world we know lava isn't earth+fire, but in punch wizard land it makes as much sense as anything else.
>>
Air bending should include sound bending for it is nothing else then vibration of said air.
>>
>>84460520
Aang had the bison whistle thing. I think it was implied that he used airbending to boost the sound volume.
>>
>>84460613
Yeah but I talk about real soundbending.
Frequencies that can destroy stuff, cutting soundwaves from music instruments, etc.
That kind of stuff
>>
>>84459315
Technically Aang's only able to dodge the lightning because Ozai is telegraphing when and where he's going to shoot it. If one could lightning bend using only concentration the same way Yakone does with waterbending, then there's no avoiding it.
>>
>>84461751
Why does everyone keep saying that Aang is aim dodging?

The later shots sure, but the initial shot clearly has the lightning coming straight at him and Aang moves out of the way after seeing it coming.

Zuko had enough time to run into the path of lightning after it was already being bended. That's clearly enough time to get out of the way.
>>
>>84456820
Feces
>>
Could a water bender attack someone with rocks in the water they're using? or would it all just fall out from underneath?
>>
>>84462115

Maybe if they froze the water around the rock or something, otherwise yeah, the rock would probably just fall through.

Seems like even if you could hold it in normal water it would be more of a strain than it's worth.
>>
>>84460351
It actually doesn't since there are no known mixed element styles. So far everything has been divided into one of the four elements with no crossover.
>>
>>84457936
We have no idea how it works, it could be something like metal bending, fairly common once you know how it works. Like Lightning bending from Atla, where it's rare and hard to understand, but technicly anyone could learn it. Or like combustion bending that i think was said to be a single clan of people who can use it, which to me implies it's some kind of genetic ability.

Though i would think the last one the least likely since Bolin never knew he could do it, but sort of "learned" it watching Ghazan.
>>
>>84458899
Aang mentioned Air baldes aswell, so they might be able to cut people too.
>>
>>84462196
In LoK, the Wolfbats probending team bends water with rocks in it at their opponents, so it is possible.
>>
>>84457786
>more energy
nha dude, earth bending can move literal tons of rocks at once, that takes far more energy.
>>
>>84456820
Realistically, Earthbending.

You can take pretty much anyone out with a decent sized rock and a well aimed blow to the head.
>>
>>84458070
>bend iron in blood
That wouldnt do much though since your blood barely any iron in it that allows bloodbending like puppetry. It also takes magnetar level magnetic fields to rip the iron out of your blood.
>>
In a fight? Probably Earthbending. It seems the most useful for reasons that have already been stated in the thread, not even counting the weird shit like lava bending.

Practical applications? Probably Fire.There's a reason the fire nation had airships and shit before anyone else. They can boil water and smelt metal easier. Would seem trivial for the fire nation to just leverage their tech advantage and get further ahead, then start the whole genocide plot. Even better once they discover usages for electricity because of lightning.
>>
>>84456989
No, Waterbending can only heat up liquids. Firebending has control over heat everywhere and on nearly everything.
>>
File: 1463023658709.png (821 KB, 819x730) Image search: [Google]
1463023658709.png
821 KB, 819x730
>>84456820
Air: can't really kill anyone. It's literally just air. And if you're thinking, 'oh, but zaheer did it'.. Any real fighter will just man up and bend a rock at his face or someshit instead of waiting to die.

Water: It's useless against plenty of things; fire can just use lightning and water is fucked; earth can just throw a giant boulder. Oh, and since LoK people can overcome bloodbending by just not being a bitch. Hell, even a little bitch (Mako) was able to do it. Man up.

Earth: It's fucking earth, you can probably kill something with it. Metalbending is good against fire, but weak against lightning. Lavabending is slow and useless. Earth itself is slower than most element when attacking; fire is literally just punching and air can evade very fast. However earth is fast to defend for some reason; more than once they created giant walls very fast. It's the best element for defense.

Fire: fastest element, can be used anywhere (unlike earth and water), is stronger at day and certain occasions (Sozin's comet), can bend lightning (auto-win against water/metal). The only real issue is defense; you can't create a huge shield so the only thing you will be defending against is air, perhaps water at some degree. It is the best element for ofense.
>>
>>84457303
Totally, because you can definitely balance lavabending with something else. Or flight. They're broken as fuck.
>>
File: 400.gif (2 MB, 300x171) Image search: [Google]
400.gif
2 MB, 300x171
>>84456820
>What is the strongest bending element?
earf
>>
>>84456820
>Alot of guy think airbending is the strongest thats ridiculous.

At high level they can fly on their own free will, and if you have more than one airbender together they can create tornados big enough to hold off the entire Earth Kingdom army.
>>
>>84459478
>All bending save for avatar state and Zahier flying requires footwork to some extent, earth bending takes that away and in Tophs case turns it against her opponent.

Yeah, except if you put an Earthbender in the ocean, they sink like a stone. Meanwhile the other benders can fly away, jetpack away, or motorboat away.
>>
>>84466691
You mean slow down, not stop. Also, no one there even tried to earthbending so it's basically bullshit scene.
>>
>>84458070
All other elements CAN do it.
Waterbending does it with ice, turning it into water or further into steam.
Earthbending does it with earth, turning it into lava.
Airbending, literally just heats up the air.
And firebending... Duh.

And btw, the show isn't being inconsistent with the way they metalbend. Metalbending is achieved by bending the impure earth inside of metals. And that's the kind of metal all metalbenders use. PLATINUM is too pure to bend, so a single bender hasn't done it before. Awesome GIF btw. :D
>>
>>84466719
>You mean slow down, not stop.

Still pretty good feat for two kids to stop a ten thousand strong army equipped with tanks.

Now imagine if it was, say, a dozen adult airbenders.

There's a reason why Monk Gyatso's skeleton was surrounded by dozens of dead fire nation soldiers.
>>
>>84458070
No, they couldnt. They weren't even able to bend the giant metal machinery inside the giant platinum robot
>>
>>84458989
If going by your logic, then airbending, since, air is EVERYWHERE.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (92 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
92 KB, 1440x1080
>>84466589
>Air: can't really kill anyone. It's literally just air.

A tornado can drive a piece of hay through a tree. Gyatso took out multiple firebenders soldiers, all hooked up on Sozin's Comet.

But all airbenders were monks, hence why they couldn't really kill anyone.
>>
>>>>84466757
>ten thousand
Where was that number stated? And as i said, if they really wanted to harm them they could just earthbend.

>there is a reason why Monk Gyatso's skeleton was surrounded by dozens of dead FN soldiers
Because it's what happens when you mix a lot of fire with air, not because the Monk went on a rampage. If you notice, the place is closed. They basically killed themselves.
>>
>>84466856
See >>84466921
Also, Airbenders can't do anything as strong as a tornado. At least that's what Aang tells Sokka in the comics.
>>
>>84459478
Did you see Zaheer vs Korra? He completely demolished her in her Avatar State (yea she had poison in her system.) But she threw more than what you said at Zaheer, and he still got the upper hand. Flight itself is extremely versatile, and is the best type of movement, out of every element. Fire itself can easily match up against Earth though. Fire can also fly, can have more range (With lightning). You do have a point that firebenders can't stay up there for that long, but air can. Fire also has combustionbending which is the ultimate ranged weapon.
>>
>>84466589
>Water: It's useless against plenty of things;

They can heal and icebend. If they are in their element, they can be as deadly as earthbenders. If not, they can still carry water with them to bend, and they can cut metal with it.

Earth is obviously great but only has so much utility, and they cannot function at all when not in their element.

Fire and Air both have the least weak points, they can be used everywhere, and can be extremely surgical. The only problem is that they don't have any physical way of defending.

They are all balanced IMO. And when used by a big group, all 4 elements can create huge catastrophes. Firebenders did scorched earth stratagem, airbenders created tornados and hurricanes, waterbenders can do floods that destroy entire fleets of ships, and earthbenders can split chanks of land off the continent and turn them into an island.
>>
>>84466968
>Also, Airbenders can't do anything as strong as a tornado. At least that's what Aang tells Sokka in the comics.

- Aang was a kid, not an adult monk; he may not have known all the secrets of his order.
- Their limitation at creating a tornado may have come not from the lack of ability, but the lack of will, since they were monks living in peace.
- Did you miss the part in Korra where they actually go ahead and create a fucking tornado?
>>
File: Aang1.png (301 KB, 4133x2755) Image search: [Google]
Aang1.png
301 KB, 4133x2755
Airbending rules
>>
>>84467000
Ice melts and gets destroyed by giant bolders. Healing is useless in battle.

>they can cut metal with it
I assume it takes forever to do it, if it ever happened in the show
>>
>>84459712
I imagine it like, lightningbending is man-made lightning, so obviously not as fast as real lightning.
>>
>>84456820
Not counting any bullshit from Korra, only TLA:

Earthbending is the best for building things, but that's about it. Metalbending provides a hard counter for metal weapons and machinery but isn't extremely useful in close combat at the level Toph has it down in TLA. The main problem with earthbending is that it's very slow in comparison to the others.

Firebending is the most lethal and best for both hand-to-hand combat and also for large scale destruction. Fire is also a necessary element in survival so it's very versatile in that manner, and can be used to provide energy for things like machines as well.

Waterbending is by far the most versatile, and is obviously the best for fighting if there's a full moon out thanks to bloodbending. Waterbending is also extremely limited by the fact that there needs to be water around (unless you know advanced techniques like pulling it from the air and plants). If you were an average person who didn't fight at all, the best choice would be waterbending. If there's a large source of water or obviously if you're in water waterbending stomps.

Airbending could theoretically be very lethal (as it is in Korra) but it's hard to gauge it's danger based on how Aang uses it. It's good for personal transport and evasive maneuvers but that's about it, by all accounts it's the weakest bending for fighting and for average use.

All around waterbending is the best choice in my opinion for both fighting and pedestrian use, thanks to all its bullshit enhancements (bloodbending, healing, pulling water from the air and plants, manipulating plants). Pulling water from the air is probably the most op one of all for fighting, since it basically turns you into an unstoppable machine with no limitations at both fighting and survival. Even being able to turn it into ice is kind of OP since no other elements can alter the temperature of their element (until Korra). I would pick fire personally.
>>
File: omi goes full avatar.jpg (25 KB, 637x468) Image search: [Google]
omi goes full avatar.jpg
25 KB, 637x468
Avatar is just a Xiaolin Showdown rip-off.
>>
>>84467040
>Aang was a kid
Stated to have mastered airbending. Even if somehow lacking in power, this just means you need an insanely high amount of mastery to be on par with the other elements. It Could be the lack of will (Aang himself simply sais he can't do it, not stating reason), but it's notable how 'tornado' is a very subjective term as Aang was able to make many smaller ones (Sokka was referring go a big tornado)

About Korra, i'm considering 1 Bender. I could argue that a couple of firebenders can burn an entire fucking country, going by ATLA. So lets consider 1x1.
>>
>>84467127
>not counting any bullshit from Korra
Living on the old patch, my friend?
>>
pure Earth bending. But not in a straight-up one on one fight. Here's why; with a group of co-ordinated and powerful earth benders you coud literally reshape entire landscapes. You could suss out fractures deep within the landscape and trigger earthquakes and tsunamis. With a powerful enough earthbender you could terrorize entire civilizations. Frankly I don't know why the Earth benders put up with the Fire nations shit for as long as they did.

Also, seeing as the Fire nation were their universes equivalent of the Nazi's (at least in terms of military aggression) it would've been interesting to see a modern day fire nation acting all apologetic and shit like how Germany does today
>>
>>84467127
>since no other elements can alter the temperature of their element (until Korra)

You mean that earth into lava change right?

Airbending had Aang not be cold at that poles. And firebenders can alter the temperature of their flame.
>>
>versatile
No we are talking about the strongest element not the most versatile.
>>
>>84467231
Yes, the shit from Korra was not well thought out and makes it difficult to compare the elements. Probably airbending is the strongest when you can suffocate people without even breaking a sweat and literally levitate. That's assuming you can't bloodbend all the time though, which I guess is equal to airbending? Lavabending is maybe even stronger, because presumably it has farther range than air or blood. And don't forget streams of lightning (although the street style of lightningbending seems to nerf its power, so I guess that's a fair tradeoff)

I'm also personally not familiar enough with Korra to make a fair assessment, there's probably a bunch of mistakes in what I just said
>>
>>84466367
>There's a reason the fire nation had airships and shit before anyone else
Because they stole the tech from that Earth Kingdom scientist and his Water Tribe assistant at the Air Temple?
>>
I always wanted to ask. Can't earthbenders just bend boulders and then stand on it to fly?
>>
>>84467392
The psychic bloodbending thing was broken, bloodbending would have been balanced if it took complicated body motions to execute an action like all other bending in general.

Also the puppetry thing seems iffy because assuming you are using the blood in a dude's arm to control it which is impossible because the blood cant output enough force to move the arm even if you made all the blood in the vessels in your arm force their pressure on the borders of the vessels then your hand wouldnt even budge an inch at all.

So what about the entire body? Also impossible see there is a reason why WE NEED FUCKING MUSCLES to move and dont just act on liquid pulses like most single celled organisms what would most likely happen is your blood vessels exploding but your body wouldnt move at all. Then there is the levitation thing which would be possible due to waterbenders levitating water but thats all a bloodbender could really do levitate your body but you would be in complete control of your motor actions.
>>
>>84467457
Really? I don't remember watching enough of the series to know that.

Still, only takes one person inventing a steam engine to realize that firebenders don't need to burn fuel to generate a fuckton of energy, hot air balloons could be at least somewhat useful, I'm not an engineer or anything, but there's probably a ton of real world applications for firebenders, more so than most of the others, I'd wager. Electricity from Lightning would be very useful, but that's out of context before Korra, since electricity isn't well known or understood.
>>
>>84467481
Maybe in AtLA the rules would say they couldn't.

But with that whole "Don't take a rooted stance, stay light on your feet while earthbending" bullshit in probending I wouldn't be surprised if a person levitated on a boulder and launched it while they tried to surf it making sure it didn't turn and have them fall off.

>>84467457
Shhh. Let him dream.

>>84467392
>Probably airbending is the strongest when you can suffocate people
The Queen stood there doing nothing and Korra was out of it from the poison finally taking its full stop effects. It's like when Kuvira held Varrick by the metal on his uniform, if the person can't bend against it or have chi enough to counter it or is incapacitated then the technique can work.

>>84467529
The puppetry thing and bloodbending was in AtLA first though. LoK went full retard with moonless psychic variants though.
>>
>>84467481
Theoretically, they probably could but it would be too difficult to be done practically.
Most earthbending moves end in a "shove" which launches the earth at a high speed in one direction. For all intents and purposes, the earthbender loses control of the rock at that point and it follows it's trajectory (hence why Toph can anticipate where a rock will be based on her opponents moves) so trying to fly on a boulder would probably result in you launching yourself at high speed and crashing. Continuously bending and redirecting a boulder in mid air, sizeable enough to carry an human, whilst riding on it and never losing your balance would take an insane degree of mastery and precision that probably borders on impossible.
Remember that bending isn't just telekinesis, there's a physical, martial artistry element as well.
>>
>>84467255
>Airbending had Aang not be cold at that poles

I'm 40% positive it never states that he heated up the air around him or anything like that. They don't show him saying he's cold or wearing warmer clothes but I don't think Katara did either, only Sokka. I''m gonna read over the script in a minute but I'm moderately sure it's not real. I would definitely believe he is capable of doing it but I don't think they don't show it

>And firebenders can alter the temperature of their flame

I'm also like 40% positive there's no evidence for this other than Azula, and the problem with Azula is it's never stated that the blue fire is actually hotter (the dragons' fire being many colors kind of puts that into doubt, and real world principles can't be assumed to be true in cartoon world unless there's evidence for it). It's more likely I think they just made her fire blue to make her unique and didn't think it through too hard.

It makes sense that they would be able to do both those things but I'm pretty sure there's no evidence. If they could, it would make sense that lavabending is significantly rarer than icebending because it's a much higher melting/freezing point, and why fire/air can't phase change because they don't have another phase to really change into. Actually, altering air's temperature would be pretty op.
>>
>>84456830
>waterbending technically = all other bending
Don't you mean:
>airbending technically = all other bending
>>
>>84467392
After Korra bloodbending becomes a joke; Mako got over the grasp of the strongest bloodbender simply by not being a whiny little bitch for a second. So basically force of will counters bloodbending.
>>
Anyone else think Legend of Korra ruined bloodbending?

The fact that it could only be done during a full moon was part of what made it cool and ominous.
>>
I like how everyone in this thread automatically ranks the elements in terms of what's best for murdering people with.
It really depends what scenario I receive bending in. If I'm in the Avatarverse during the Hundred Year War, then maybe Fire's worth considering, if it's bending in my current life then Fire is absolutely fucking useless.
>b-but you can kill people
Yeah, and get shot or arrested
>b-but it can boil water
Son, I own a fucking kettle. You think I'm gonna take the batteries out of my smoke alarm and dance around, manually fire bending until the water boils when I can just flip a switch.
>b-but it can warm your room
Yeah, by setting fire to it. Firebenders can warm themselves up, which is near, but they don't have all singing, all dancing mastery over all temperature
>b-but it can toast your pop-tarts
I don't even eat pop-tarts
>>
>>84467255
>>84467708
Nvm, you're right about the airbending. It's definitely true about fire too if it's true for the other 3, but it's strange than only Azula shoots the hotter fire. I guess it's not really that advantageous.

Lavabending is still stupid because it's a ridiculous temperature change in comparison to the only minor changes the others are capable of.
>>
Couldn't airbending become a form of combustion-bending by sufficiently exciting the air?
>>
>>84467794
Guru Pathik and the illusion of separation.

All are connected.

Look beyond the physical.

Something something spiritual.
>>
>>84467847
You could make explosions with airbending by taking a volume of air then compressing it until it becomes superheated then releasing it, every single explosion on earth the majority of the force if the kinetic energy in the air burst even nuclear explosions meaning Airbenders powerful enough could cause nuclear explosions.

How? Well you see if the air is compressed to the point where its temperate is around 1 million C then released it will be a nuclear explosion.
>>
>>84467847
Roy Mustang <3
>>
>>84457322
Air is gas. Or, more accurately, gas is air.
>>
>>84467847
If it based worked on physics, sure, but that's not how Avatar's world works.

We're talking about a setting where lightning is explicitly made up of chi separated into its Yin and Yang halves, rather than electrons. Bending works on philosophical principles as much as on physical ones.
>>
>>84467822
>Lavabending is still stupid because it's a ridiculous temperature change in comparison to the only minor changes the others are capable of.

Gotta give them a power creep. Wouldn't want Bolin to just be "that guy," would you? Gotta give him the special snowflake terrorist ability that you gave the special snowflake terrorist have to convey danger.
>>
>>84467822
Actually I take my words back again, since according to the wiki the air temperature control was only stated in Korra. It's sensible that the other elements would be able to do it but also OP since applications of heating air would be ridiculous.
>>
>>84467925
Gasbending has happened though since Meelo bended his farts and farts are sulphuric gas not air. So an airbender can basically control anything that is gaseous.
>>
>>84457936
I feel like lavabending has to have a parent who is both a fire and earthbender (Im assuming that's how Mako and Bolin have both types of bending). Either way it seems like it's stupidly rare, far more than metalbending which can almost always be learned).
>>
>>84467959
Airbending would be OP if the temperature could be changed you could just air currents that vaporize or freeze people its basically firebending on steroids.
>>
>>84467942
But what if I want to earthbend my own skin into diamond armor or some bullshit?
>>
>>84467903
It could be called soundbending. The hidden airbending art of rhythmically compressing and decompressing air.

At low skill levels, sounds could produce a distraction or disorient the opponent. At high skill levels.... BOOM!
>>
>>84467957
Wasn't lavabending originally a fire thing? I'm pretty sure we see master firebenders making a volcano erupt in a flashback in atla.
>>
>>84456820
This fucking show was totally ruined by Korra.
>>
>>84467966
Yeah, stands to reason. It's not Oxygenbending.
>>
>>84468001
He caused an eruption.

Lavabending took existing solid dull earth and morphed it into a really hot piece of earth.

If we saw Ghazan erupt a volcano then that would be different. But he just had the stuff ooze out and plop about.
>>
>>84467957
Metalbending already underwent something of a power creep in korra though didn't it? Like didn't Kuvira basically shoot bullets off the metal on her arm?

I don't know why they made it seem like Bolin was genetically predisposed to be incapable at metalbending, definitely would've been a more meaningful arc to show him struggling to learn metalbending than just "a ha I'm special after all"
>>
>>84467998
Soundbending would be controlling the molecular vibrations in air, and it would be OP as shit since sound is intangible and can fuck up your organs. Just make a high pitch sound to make your opponent stop fighting or use low pitch loud sound like a thunder next to their body to burst their organs. I also believe ultrasound can fuck with your mental state.
>>
>>84467708
>I would definitely believe he is capable of doing it but I don't think they don't show it
I recall there was a similar under the table hand wave regarding how Aang survived being frozen in an iceberg through making a cocoon of energy or something.

Which brings me to my next point, if we're talking the strongest bending style it's energybending. Even if you don't like LoK it shows up in ATLA. You can remove bending, give bending, bend in the spirit realm, bend rays of light, create an astral projection that can bend. If OP wants us to pointlessly go down the road of ultimatum that is the final Fuck You style of bending.

Of course there's the drawback of having a weak spirit and all that nonsense, but it's a self-defeating weakness since anyone who can acquire Energybending to begin with is obviously extremely capable and willpowered.

I mean people complain about the cop out of consequences from not killing Ozai, but I felt the bigger gripe was honestly trying to sell the fake out that Aang would be overtaken by Ozai. This kid, the Avatar, has gone through all this spiritual bullshit, demonstrated he's able to now control his berserk state while the unhinged Comet Ozai is going apeshit and I'm really supposed to buy he's going to slip now?

Really? Get the fuck out. With Neo and Smith it was unclear who would win because Smith had gone through as much sudden development as Neo, so the stakes were relatively even, but since Ozai was shelved so long there was absolutely no reason to buy that this guy whose only real achievement was scarring his son who was unwilling to even fight is in any shape way or form that big a deal.

If it were Azula or Iroh I'd humor the possibility of Aang being in danger, but all Ozai ever did was nothing. That was his big thing. His wife left, nothing, he kicks his own son out and his brother ends up doing a better job raising him, nothing, his daughter runs off with her friends and gets more done than the Firelord, nothing.
>>
>>84466662
>>
Clearing this up. Is there actually any evidence that waterbenders can boil water?
I know they can freeze and melt water, so from a scientific standpoint, it makes sense. But bending is spiritualist if magic, it could be as simple as "Water=Cold Element=can't boil water"
Unless it's been featured in canon, I'm sceptical as to whether it's possible.

Same for any theoretical bending, it's cool and all but unless we've seen it, I doubt it's possible.
>>
>>84467942
>We're talking about a setting where lightning is explicitly made up of chi separated into its Yin and Yang halves, rather than electrons
I think in this context, "Yin" and "Yang" can be understood as referring to negative and positive charges.

This is a world where science and technology are in their infancy. Iroh's talking about "jing" and "chi" doesn't mean the Avatar universe has different laws of physics and biology; it just means they have a different understanding of them. One that is based on intuition and analogy, rather than repeated observation and objective reason.
>>
File: shriek batman beyond.jpg (173 KB, 500x662) Image search: [Google]
shriek batman beyond.jpg
173 KB, 500x662
>>84457399
>that would probably be obnoxious in a cartoon
Well fuck you, too.
>>
>>84468098
>Avatar universe has different laws of physics and biology

Considering that vastly less dangerous nature of fire/explosions, the vastly more efficient nature of steam power, and shit like Wolfbats, turtlefucks, and giant sand fish, and the whole spirit realm thing, I would say that...

Yes, the Avatar universe DOES have different laws of physics and biology.
>>
>>84468028
Not really. ATLA was tarnished by an asspull ending that nullified Aang's moral agency, but Korra can't do anything to the original series.
Korra was fairly poor, though.
>>
>>84468046
>Like didn't Kuvira basically shoot bullets off the metal on her arm?

This is what happens when Bryke listen to the fandom for techniques.

But she was taking a steady stance and flinging metal that could still be countered.
>>
>>84468141
Spirits exist in our world too though.
>>
>>84457046
Lava is molten rock, would you not need an earthbender and a firebender?
>>
>>84468269
No because its molten rock you just have to heat up the rock by increasing the kinetic energy in it or just making the molecular bonds go further apart until its a liquid.
>>
>>84468093
If we take Iroh's word for it the differences and similarities between the styles are as important as they are irrelevant. By imitating waterbending he developed lightning redirection and absorption, so if a Waterbender imitated a Firebender they could probably instantly evaporate or superheat a fluid.
>>
File: 1406462681112.png (149 KB, 480x351) Image search: [Google]
1406462681112.png
149 KB, 480x351
>>84468250
You should take the trip off when you say stupid shit like that.
Ah, what's the harm? You tripfags are uniformly retarded anyway, no harm in having actual solid evidence.
>>
>>84460255
I was rewatching the original series recently, and we actually see Sozin bending lava in the flashback to Roku's death.

They're both on the mouth of the volcano pushing the lava back down.
>>
>>84468098
Anon, yin and yang may be negative and positive energies, but that's simply what makes them a good replacement for the actual science of electricity. Iroh redirects the lightning safely by channeling it through the sea of chi in his gut-- something that would still fuck up a person in the real world. Atla's universe works on fundamental principles based on Taoist philosophy, and that's fine because it's a setting rooted in myth. It doesn't need real world physics to be coherent and consistent, and trying to reconcile its philosophical underpinnings with actual natural laws only dilutes its themes.

Atla's universe is just at the beginning of its scientific revolution, true, but that doesn't mean that the laws of nature its scientists discover should be our own. For the most part they need to have the same or similar outcomes, in order to present a recognizable world-- things still fall down, and for the most part we don't need to know why-- but where tone and texture of the setting are concerned, that needs to take a backseat.
>>
>>84468374
No Sozin was removing the heat from the magma also its called magma if its still in the volcano dumbass.
>>
File: 1459919923323.jpg (36 KB, 579x577) Image search: [Google]
1459919923323.jpg
36 KB, 579x577
>>84456820
> Implying
> Just suck all the air out of someone to death.
> Just blow all the air into someone to death.
Yeah.
>>
>>84468399
If it came out, and you used magical martial arts to put it back in, is it still magma?
>>
>>84468159
>ATLA was tarnished by an asspull ending that nullified Aang's moral agency
when will this meme die? he made the choice of not killing Ozai and had to be able to control the avatar state to do so. Get over it.
>>
>>84468427
>Just suck all the air out of someone to death.
takes forever

>Just blow all the air into someone to death.
never stated to be possible in a lethal way.
>>
>>84467794
Nah. Psychic Bloodbending was astronomically rare, so much so that the only two known users were directly related.
>>
>>84468427
Isnt it impossible to breathe in the middle of a hurricane once the wind speed is above 130 mph?
>>
>>84456820
I think earth bending would be the best. If you're decent at it, you could probably build a small city by yourself over your lifetime.
>>
File: 1466028864123.png (102 KB, 226x280) Image search: [Google]
1466028864123.png
102 KB, 226x280
>>84468566
Fuck off with your shit logic.
> takes forever
Implying, AGAIN. When has any airbender tried at full force to suck the air out of anyone?
> never stated to be possible in a lethal way.
> It's not canon if it didn't happen on screen
Kill yourself please. Of bloody fucking COURSE it's "never been possible in a lethal way", why the fuck Aang or all the other air MONKS to try to KILL someone intentionally?
>>
After thinking about it, S3 of TLA is just as bad as Korra. It makes a lot of the same mistakes (nonsense OP abilities, bad lore, bad ending). I think if it didn't have the character development and world building from s1-2 backing it it would be as hard to watch as Korra.
>>
>>84468708
>When has any airbender tried at full force to suck the air out of anyone
I should be the one making that question; when did it happen since you're claiming it's possible?

>Of bloody fucking COURSE it's "never been possible in a lethal way"
if you cannot prove your claims don't make them.
>>
>>84468763
Energybending an asspull, Aang could have beaten Ozai by just covering him in water until he passed out then having him sent to a prison similar to Pai Lee making his own firebending impossible at the same time his hands would be shacked with metal to make him kill hisself if he tries to lightningbend.

No stupid asspull would be needed if Aang had a fucking brain.
>>
>>84468763
>It makes a lot of the same mistakes
everything in ATLA S03 makes logical sense. In LoK things happen just to move the plot and no other reason.

> I think if it didn't have the character development and world building from s1-2 backing it it would be as hard to watch as Korra
S03 is when the characters are developed the most; actually it's the season that was made for character development, so much that it looks like filler some times.
>>
>>84468818
>No stupid asspull would be needed if Aang had a fucking brain
you do realize Aang DID defeat Ozai without energybending, right? he imprisoned him in earth, and only after that used energybending, something he didn't even need to do. How can it be an asspull if it doesn't help at all?
>>
>>84468779
It's called, logic, dumbass. If real world science can make experiments that prove that via high pressure chambers, then what proves some universe of beings capable of out doing technology can't do the same? Again;
> It's not canon if it didn't happen on screen
I wish fuckers like this would just die already.
> if you cannot prove your claims don't make them.
> I wish fuckers like this would just die already.
>>
>>84468869
>If real world science can make experiments that prove that via high pressure chambers
airbenders doesn't work like high pressure chambers, or at least you can't prove they do.

Logic does not cover the assumption that airbenders can move just the exact quantity of air necessary to enter through someone's mouth without moving the rest of the body, with the exact force necessary to break from within.
>>
>>84468864
Because its an asspull it literally came out of nowhere.
>>
>>84456860
CARLOS!
>>
>>84468533
He got a new super power gifted to him out of nowhere in the penultimate(?) episode that let him bypass the decision he had been agonising over since he left the gang behind.
He didn't kill Ozai because he suddenly gained a new option at the last minute and didn't have to kill him.
ATLA isn't perfect, get over it.
>>
>>84468981
First of, energybending is discussed since S01, we are just not sure of what it does. Second, if it didn't do anything it's not an asspull. It doesnt help Aang in any way, it just closes the discussion of what energybending can do.
>>
>>84469041
He didn't kill Ozai because he trapped him with earthbending, not because of energybending. Basically, Ozai was defeated before it, só it didn't end any conflict. Also, Aang had to control the avatar state for it to be possible, something he would never be able to do without his journey.

Add. That to the fact that we knew about energybending since S01 (but not the total extent of what it could do).
>>
>>84458924

I'd argue plot inconvenience on that one so they didn't have to explain why all the air benders didn't just fly away from fire nation when they attacked. There is no logical explanation with the way that bending is shown to work that any one who was a decent airbender couldn't fly or at least glide.
>>
File: 490.jpg (48 KB, 627x626) Image search: [Google]
490.jpg
48 KB, 627x626
>>84468941
So you're saying you know everything about airbenders because you created the series and own everything to it? Or that you claim that airbenders flying, running at the speed of sound, up walls, and can do pic bloody related >>84457153 without being able to just sap a bit of air juice from the common fucker?
>if you cannot prove your claims don't make them.
Follow your own advice. "Logically" airbenders could do this. Science proves what was "not proven" can be proven by logic.
>>
If Aang simply didn't kill the Firelord and they omitted the entire part where he agonized over what to do there wouldn't be a problem. There's no difference between just capturing him and taking his bending away and then capturing him. The problem with the ending is that they tried to use taking his bending away as an equivalent punishment for killing him which is just silly, and the fact that he got the ability from a deus ex machina.

Also Aang kills plenty of people throughout the show, and none of them are genocidal maniacs, so honestly if he just killed him with no deliberation and they did a Disney-style death I don't think anybody would bat an eye.
>>
>>84456866
Huh bloodbending.
>>
>>84469172
Name one person Aang killed
>>
>>84469164
The only one claiming anything here is you. You claim that 'it is logical' as well whithout explaining why. You said that Airbenders would work just like pressure Chambers (that needs a closed space to work), so tell me how.
>>
>>84457489
This seems like a legitimate way to interpret that information.
>>
>>84469108
A non-depowered Ozai would be a problem, Sozin's Comet or no. One way or another, Aang would have had to make the decision.
And let's not get into the whole Avatar state thing, because that's arguably an even bigger asspul:
>have to make decision between the girl he loves or the power to defeat the bad guy
>makes the decision, stands by it
>"you're looking a little tense, Aang, let Dr. Stone, licensed chiropractor, work out those knots in your back"
>free Avatar state

>Add. That to the fact that we knew about energybending since S01 (but not the total extent of what it could do)
The point is, he didn't work for it, or go on some spiritual pilgrimage to learn how to use it: you may as well replace the Lion-Turtle with a photograph of a nervous Bryke pacing their office for Christ's sake.
>>
>>84469409
Just cut off Ozai's hands and he cant firebend anymore. I just realized how stupid the humans this show are, they didnt even have to make all of those cages for Red Lotus they could just lop off their arms well except Ming Hua and they would be harmless.
>>
>>84469251
Tons of nameless fire nation troops and earth kingdom troops and other miscellaneous people who got thrown hundreds of feet, or off boats, or off cliffs, or got hit in the head with rocks, or smooshed by rocks, or suffocated by water, or frozen.

Sure, none of their deaths are shown and cartoon people are especially resilient, but even if we assume everybody Aang ever fought survived the grand total of injuries he's inflicted is undoubtedly morally worse than killing one villain.
>>
>>84469409
He had his hands imprisoned by earthbending, if he tried anything he would burn his hands.

Also, he is only a problem during Sozin's comet. After that he can be imprisoned like a normal firebender. They can literally just throw him in prison, like boiling rock. Are you implying they kill all firebenders crimminals?

About the rock thing, it's how he lost it in the first place. The same shit happening again to get powers back is hardly an asspull.

Also, the point is not to get in avatar state. If he was just in avatar state he would have killed Ozai. However since he could CONTROL the avatar state, he didn't.
>>
>>84469462
People don't need arms to bend. It is just less effective. Also, if you're planning to imprison them cutting their arms just means you will have to feed them yourself, and help them with other things so it's not practical. For 99% of the benders, a common prison works just fine anyway. Hell, no one could escape boiling rock and it is fairly normal considering what they did with red lótus.
>>
>>84469462
Pretty sure bending can be performed without hands. Combustion bending and flight alone are evidence of that, it's the same problem I have with the Harry Potter universe's reliance on wands as magical conduits. Even if you have the argument that other forms of bending can't be done without hands, that's just a matter of writing: no one could bend metal before Toph decided she'd give it a go.

>>84469546
He was still a nominal Emperor with an army and loyal secret service behind him, though he lacks legitimacy as a Fire Lord when he can't actually command fire.

>About the rock thing, it's how he lost it in the first place.
The Guru straight up tells him he can't use it if he's bound by Earthly connections, there was a whole thing about it.

>Also, the point is not to get in avatar state
He couldn't control it if he couldn't do it, so that point is moot.
>>
>>84469618
>Hell, no one could escape boiling rock
Boiling Rock Warden pls. A bunch of fucking teenagers got out, remember?
>>
>>84469546
You know what I find weird about people who take issue with the Lion Turtle and rock spinal tap and all that? They usually seem just fine with the Full Moon, Sozin's Comet and Eclipse, which are all universal forms of taking and giving bending for suspense or convenience or what not.

When exactly is the bullshit okay and when is it not? I call shenanigans on the whole thing.
>>
>>84469739
because astronomy is a real thing and giant lion turtles that poof magic on to people are not
>>
>>84469739
Avatar has always relied on deus ex machinas, and that is fine. It's like the universe's way of restoring balance.
>>
>>84469618
Ok then remove the entire arm.
>>
>>84469715
A bunch of fucking teenangers who happen were taking down the FN, not just like random teenangers
>>
>>84469739
"Coincidence can be used to get the main character into trouble, not out of it".
Basically, the comet was a handy plot device to set up an overarching threat.
The Lion-Turtle and the rock just helped Aang Bryke get out of a seemingly genuinely hopeless dilemma.
>>
>>84467743
This
With airbending you can make vortexes and bend the other elements
Aang does it all the time
>>
>>84469672
>The Guru straight up tells him he can't use it if he's bound by Earthly connections
Not sure Aang should be taking the word on what needs doing in the world from some old ass dude disconnected from the world eating bananas and onions and shit all day with animals in the wild.
>>
>>84469672
According to the comics, not having firebending doesnt mean he can't be the firelord. That's why new Ozai society wanted him back in power.

About the avatar state, he was hit in a marma/chakra and that's why he wasnt able to enter the avatar state, and not because of some mental block. The reverse argument could be done for the way he got it back if you're going that far; "mindset is what made his bending come back, and not the rock".

Again, if getting hit on that point is how he lost it, why not get back the same way? I mean, getting hit in combat is far from an asspull.
>>
>>84469772
See
>>84469672

>>84469798
May as well have been. Being morally virtuous doesn't suddenly make you any more capable than the next guy. Friendly reminder that Sokka and his Bae weren't even benders.
>>
>>84469832
>eats bananas and onions all day
>lives for 150 years
maybe we should listen to him
the only people to live past 100 have been avatars
>>
>>84469832
It doesn't mean you can't have possessions or loved ones. It just means that you must accept that all things will eventually die and not get hung up on it. And Aang did learn. That's why he was able to face the fire lord by himself despite knowing his friends were all probably in danger.
>>
>>84469849
Anon top tier bending technqiues requires at least two arm movements to execute so removing an arm nerfs them. Also Ozai could only attack or defend at a single time with a single arm you dont seem to realize how important arms are to benders.
>>
>>84469832
>show about spirituality and balance
>character meets an enlightened monk who demonstrably proves that his shit is legit while meditating in the halls of the MC's dead civilisation
>MC is about to reach enlightenment and everything that comes with it, knows for a fact that it's within his grasp, but chooses to refuse
But nah, he was clearly an unreliable nutjob.
>>
>>84469918
>top tier bending technqiues requires at least two arm movements
No bending technique requires at least two arms
Bumi bent himself off of a hanging chain and up a hill just by flexing his muscles and using his chin
>>
>>84469800
>"Coincidence can be used to get the main character into trouble, not out of it".
Sounds like a double standard to me. Just look at cases like Invincible and Spider-Man where that dang ol' Parker luck just starts to wear thin.
>>
>>84469936
>But nah, he was clearly an unreliable nutjob.
Which of the two saved the world from the Firelord and changed society with his group of friends again?
>>
>>84469845
I need to watch the show again, because as I remember it, Aang was told in no uncetain terms that it was either Katara or the Avatar state. Black and white.

As for the question as to why not the rock, it's Pixar story-telling rule 19. Pixar's rules are by no means set in stone, but I think as a whole, Pixar's body of work is superior to Bryke's.
>>
>>84469956
Actually, bloodbending and sucking air out of someone's lungs require two arms. Lightning was originally supposed to as well, but it's been less consistent in Korra.
>>
>>84470001
That "Parker luck" is ironically used to mean bad luck: Peter's life is constantly in the shitter.
Invincible is just thrash.
>>
>>84467096
i'm not sure what you mean by this but it's still just electrons arcing, the cause of it has nothing to do with the speed of the efffect
>>
>>84469956
>Bumi bent himself off of a hanging chain and up a hill just by flexing his muscles and using his chin
Yes and no bending feat of that lack of effort has ever been performed not even by fucking Toph in Korra. Even Avatars swing their arms when they bend you need fucking arms to do top tier bending techniques.
>>
>>84463055
Didn't iroh create the lightning redirection firebending technique from watching waterbenders?
>>
File: 1465149238426.jpg (34 KB, 720x544) Image search: [Google]
1465149238426.jpg
34 KB, 720x544
So how come they were able to bend the metal poison out of Korra's body? Is it some secret technique to bend pure metals or did the writers literally forget why things like Platinum couldn't be bent
>>
>>84470056

Everything was less consistent in Korra. Lightning and metal bending being common, magma bending, Zaheer being a master airbender immediately, everyone is a master chi-blockers, not to mention they destroyed the entire lore of the avatar in one episode (even if it happened to be the best, or only good, episode of the series).
>>
>>84470104
>not even by fucking Toph in Korra
Didn't she bat Korra around just by stomping her feet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zouRX2Tw6Ew
She has her hands behind her back half the time, especially when she does the earth wave riding thing
>>
>>84470132
because it was metal, that's it
poison works by stopping cells from functioning
remove the poison and cells stop dying/start functioning better

pure metal doesn't mean the same thing in the Avatar universe as it does in ours. It doesn't have to do with how well the element is refined or how much dirt and/or rock is present within the smelted product
Platinum is a pure element
Iron mercury and copper aren't
Again, pure metal obviously doesn't mean the same thing in the Avatar universe as it does in ours
>>
>>84469832
If his advice is inaccurate he serves no purpose in the story. It's just like Stan losing his memory in Gravity Falls, if you're just going to asspull your heroes out of having to make the big sacrifice because 'muh kids show', don't even bother with setting up the reason for the sacrifice in the first place. Or if you want to keep a little tension, at least make it clear that it's not guaranteed that the bad thing will happen
>>
>>84470104
Benders can also kick their elements, chief.
>>
>>84470126
He did, but he doesn't use waterbending. He just applies the principles to firebending.
>>
>>84470297
what about mudbending
>>
File: Iroh.png (187 KB, 418x332) Image search: [Google]
Iroh.png
187 KB, 418x332
>>84470244
Metal bending was discovered because Toph saw earth in the metal through vibrations, so she bent the earth inside the metal, not the metal itself

Platinum doesnt have earth inside, it is too refined. It cannot be bent

Bending liquid metal would be like bending a rock out of a lake, assuming there's earth in the liquid metal at all. You can bend the rock out of the lake, but the lake is still there
>>
>>84470172
Shes still using her fucking limbs and not the BUMI SKIN ON FACE horseshit.
>>
>>84469739
Sozins comet was established in more than one episode. lion turtle is just an asspull.
>>
File: azula8.png (298 KB, 623x478) Image search: [Google]
azula8.png
298 KB, 623x478
>>84470383
>comets are made of ice
>increases fire bending power
>>
>>84470367
The thing is a metal bender bended that platinum into Korra to begin with, so yeah.
>>
>>84470413
And that still doesn't make sense, they shouldn't be able to bend it at all, but apparently the writers forgot how metalbending worked despite it being incredibly prevalent in their show
>>
>>84470027
That's not actually a real argument, you realise.
In fact it does nothing to address the points in the post you're quoting.
>>
>>84470403
>applying irl logic
Do you even know what an asspull is
>>
>>84470367
>Platinum doesnt have earth inside, it is too refined. It cannot be bent
This isn't consistent because you could just refine any metal to the same quality as platinum
Either that or you're using the wrong definition of refined

Not only that, but in the comics, metal benders bent metal ore in huge deposits
The deposits were so enriched that regular earthbenders couldn't move them
If there was a decent amount of earth in the deposits, regular earthbenders could have moved them
But since there were not, Toph's students had to learn how to metal bend super well
>>
>>84470374
but your point was that they had to wave their arms around, that top tier bending techniques require at least two arms, and removing someone's arm would nerf their bending skill
>>
>>84470462
>all earth benders can metal bend

Only metal benders are trained and capable of bending earth within metal
>>
>>84470403
>comet
That was clearly a meteor burning in the atmosphere anon, these are retards that dont even know what outer space is.

But if its close enough to burn in the atmosphere wouldnt it like FUCKING HIT THE PLANET.
>>
>>84470495
That's not the point anon
The point is that the iron ore deposits are completely iron
and even if they weren't, especially if they weren't, regular earthbenders who haven't been trained would have been able to move them

refining metal is essentially melting down rock and specific ores and trying to maintain as much of the ore you want
>>
>>84470489
Thats earthbending all other bending forms need arms.
>>
>>84470562
waterbending doesn't
we see katara walk and run on water
airbending doesn't
we see aang shoot blasts of air with his feet
firebending doesn't
zuko's really cool panty melting hip hop dance routine
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.