[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how do you guys think this will be? I only watched the first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 8
File: Luke-Cage-Logo-3-1-1.jpg (241 KB, 600x419) Image search: [Google]
Luke-Cage-Logo-3-1-1.jpg
241 KB, 600x419
So how do you guys think this will be?

I only watched the first episode of JJ, was he good there otherwise?

I just hope he has some kinda shout-out to his original costume, even if it's just a ripped yellow shirt.

Please don't make this a thread about how triggered you are that he tapped a white girl
>>
>>84415950
Didn't care much about JJ, but I thought he was one of the best parts about the show.

Good actor, excited to see how the series will be.
>>
Honestly he didn't even really do anything in JJ. Just hooks up with her, they argue when he finds out about his wife, and then he disappears for 10 episodes until the end. I forgot he was in the show for a while, he basically didn't matter.
>>
I'm just like "snap Kilgrave's neck bro", but it's never that simple. Cue Luke Cage vs JJ battle.
>>
>>84415950
The only triggering thing about him hooking up with JJ is that he could do so much better.

As for the show, I wonder what the chances are for a Power Man shout out that isn't painfully hamfisted? As in, no "Damn, your really full of power, man."
>>
>>84416700
I don't need them to call him Power Man, just acknowledge what he was. Make a joke about him wearing a tiara or suggest he use a chain for a belt or something. It's almost par for the course for this kind of thing.
>>
>>84419325
>>>/pol/

>>>/tv/
>>
>>84420217
WERE
>>
>>84420316
SOMEBODY
>>
>>84416779
>Make a joke about him wearing a tiara
God no, I'm tired of that.
>>
He won't be in any of the movies, so I don't care.
>>
he's to pretty for being handsome big luke.
>>
>>84415950
He already wore a yellow shirt in JJ. If you want to see him fight, watch the second-to-last episode.
>>
>>84415950
I want a Luke Cage that takes less shit.
Him in JJ was kind of disappointing, but to be fair he's been disappointing for awhile. The newest Powerman and Iron Fist is the first time I've really enjoyed him in awhile. But I'm almost positive I'm not going to get that. I'm going to get Luke trying to lay low after his shit went up in flames. He's going to reluctantly get dragged into some shit that probably has to do with Roxxon which had something to do with the experiments that gave him his powers. I'm willing to bet he'll never really show much emotion beyond trying to stay mellow to outright mopey.
>>
>>84415950
I'm expecting one main story stretched out obnoxiously, with the villains being uninteresting "this is how they became this villain" characters and a lot of unnecessary filler instead of just going episodic.
>>
>>84415950
is it wrong that i think he looks so cute
>>
I think the main issue will be the structure of the show.

Daredevil season 1 was structured perfectly. One story broken over two parts. DD fights the Russian mob, then Kingpen, but they were both under the umbrella of "Daredevil fights the mob"
JJ stumbled a bit because it had one story overall. It got a little silly later on to keep the plot going
Daredevil seas 2 had two plots going on at the same time, the Punisher and Black Sky. Unfortunately they were pretty much totally separate things and din't mesh into a single story.

But even JJ and DDs2 were enjoyable, even if not as good as DDs1, so I'm looking forward to Luke Cage
>>
>>84420745
The new PMAIF run is fucking horrid.
>>
>>84420815
I really liked the last issue. The first one was, I guess, unimpressive. But that last issue great. To me at least.
>>
>>84415950
Pfft, JJ was invented just to fuck LC so who cares? My issue with her show was the one track focus on based-Killgrave who then gets murdered instead of getting away to torment again
>>
>>84420801
Dis nigga gets it
>>
>>84416029
He had some great moments though. I loved the bar fight exclusively because of him. I liked how he just looked irritated by the thugs, like he was dealing with children.
>>
>>84420418
ELSE
>>
>>84421250
AND
>>
>>84421358
WE
>>
>>84421603
>>
>>84421723
BIG
>>
>>84421723
BLACK
>>
>>84421747
BUTTS
>>
>>84421766
AND
>>
>>84421814
SHIT
>>
>>84421825
LICKING
>>
>>84421850
SJW
>>
>>84421876
DYKES
>>
File: Screenshot_20160711-153241.png (643 KB, 1200x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160711-153241.png
643 KB, 1200x1920
>>84421850
You learn a lot about yourself, doing these captchas
>>
>>84421935
another good day in Australia
>>
>>84420879
Yeah I thought the latest one was definitely better than how the run started out. Still not a massive fan.
>>
>>84415950
I have high hopes. And they'll pretty much be met if he's shirtless for at least half the screen time.
>>
>>84420801
Sure the two plots didn't mesh well, but I still enjoyed season 2 overall more than I did season 1. I think the action was better, there were some great character moments, and they didn't undermine the importance of season 1, keeping the Kingpin as a major villain.
>>
I hope Colter is good.
>HE'S DEAD WHO'S NEXT
>>
>>84420786

The good thing about Luke's show is they have multiple villains and multiple plotlines which will allow for it to fit the 13 episode mark better than Daredevil and JJ.
>Cottonmouth as nightclub owner/mob boss
>Black Mariah as corrupt politician and Cottonmouth's cousin
>Willis Stryker/Diamondback and his connection to Cage's origin
>Shades is shown with Cottonmouth and will also have connection to Cage's past
>Misty Knight and Rafael Scarfe will have an investigation into who Cage is
>Cage becoming hero
>Claire playing big role in show (introducing her mom and possibly becoming love interest)

There's really a lot to explore instead of it feeling stretched out
>>
>>84415950

>"Luke Cage is written by Cheo Coker (Ray Donovan, Southland) and the first two episodes are being directed by Paul McGuigan (Sherlock Pilot, Scandal Pilot). Played by Mike Colter, it is the story of a bulletproof, super-powered man on the run from the law who, despite his checkered past, can’t help but become a hero. We like to say it's all Marvel but closer in tone to The Wire.

>TONE: Luke Cage is a dark, yet vibrantly kinetic world with cinematic scope -- SHAFT meets CITY OF GOD. The music is hip-hop in all its bombast and complexity, a living, breathing character in the show, with song choices ranging from the instantly recognizable classics to the fresh, next big thing. This unique tone will be the backdrop as we tell the story of a superpowered escaped convict at war with himself, who sets up shop in a community at war with itself. Marvel represents family entertainment. Our series will never show tobacco smoking or drugs. We are PG-16, never rated R.
>>
>>84424142

>SETTING: The Harlem of right now. A patchwork of brick-and-mortar history and a highrise future. Predominantly Black, the area is nevertheless a mosh pit of income brackets and ethnicities. Our hero, LUKE CAGE, moves in several worlds – he lives above a Chinese restaurant, and works for cash at a beloved barbershop by day. At night, he’s a dishwasher at a slick, gangster-owned nightclub. Within these different worlds Luke will notice a pattern: Harlem is plagued by crime, corruption, and gangsters, and needs a hero.

>THEMES: Identity. Power. Manhood. Who is Luke Cage? Is he the escaped con that just wants to be left alone, or is he railing against his destiny to become a hero and better his community? Over the course of season one, Luke will grow into the hero we've been waiting for.
>Luke Cage is the third of five Marvel premium Netflix series. It’s a dark, grounded, adult, premium cable show. Luke is one of Marvel’s most iconic “street-level” superheroes, with his origins going back to the early 1970’s, and he’s a huge fan-favorite."

Already sounds better than Jessica Jones
>>
>>84424142
JJ had weed though
>>
>>84415950
I dig the bracers, but why the lightning bolt shoulders?
>>
Am I the only one here who loved JJ and both seasons of DD?
>>
>>84424183

Yeah but nobody smokes it. Disney has a policy against showing people doing drugs.
>>
File: 1456715533044.jpg (22 KB, 497x518) Image search: [Google]
1456715533044.jpg
22 KB, 497x518
Why did they choose such a boring guy for Luke? It killed Jessica Jones for me because I was already giving it way too many chances and now I can't even get hyped about this.
>>
>>84424272

I liked him. He was fucking terrifying on the bus and chasing Jessica. He would be scary as just a big black guy, but this man can't be stopped (except by the concussive blast of a shotgun right against his face, but that was likely a one off.)

He is better than fucking young Uncle Phil as he is going drawn so often these days. Plus, he had to be careful not to outshine Ritter, I believe this was already acknowledged in an interview, that he was to play a supporting role.

We will be able to see how well he does, well, pretty soon actually. Roll on September.
>>
>>84424212
a symbol for merchandising
>>
>>84415950
Isnt his wife canonly white?

I just don,t want to see some BLM and other pandering shit.

But hey fuck marvel
>>
>>84424361
he's not very charismatic though
>>
>>84424554
What the fuck does that even mean?
>>
>>84424212
That was when Cage was leading a Thunderbolts team for awhile.
>>
>>84424467
His wife is the alcoholic detective main character from the Jessica Jones Netflix series
>>
>>84424588
like the actor doesn't have much presence on screen
compared to like Mack from AoS
he's just kinda bland
maybe due to the shitty JJ writers
>>
>>84424844

To me, his presence was more impressive, but understated. Likely for JJ's benefit. Mack was just loud and likable. Luke has always been a little surly, with simmering rage underneath.
>>
>>84415950
It won't be Blaxsploitation. So it'll be a shitty Luke Cage show.
>>
>>84424271
>Disney has a policy against showing people doing drugs.
what about that guy super jacked on heroin in Daredevil?
>>
>>84424142
>SHAFT meets CITY OF GOD
That sounds amazing
>>
>>84424255
You're not alone, although I do think DD 2 had some problems
>>
>>84415950
I thought AKA JJ was a bore that got overly praised due to politics. The original comic had a nice balance between serious and campy, the Marvel Netflix series don't know they're campy, which makes it harder to take them seriously.

So I can't say I'm looking forward to this. They'll probably have some political bullshit but it won't be as timely as the JJ politics and therefore will be even harder to enjoy.
>>
>>84424255
DD 2 > DD 1 > JJ

For me at least.
>>
>>84425371
You don't ever see them DO it.
>>
>>84425629
Regardless of what side of the conflicts you fall on, I don't see how you can think that racial heritage themes aren't timely for today.
>>
>>84425661

Please tell be that was because of Frank? I can understand some people liking DD1 over JJ, but the majority of season 2 bored me to tears. I actually prefer JJ to DD full stop, and a lot of the MCU in general, but that's just me.
>>
>>84415950
>I only watched the first episode of JJ, was he good there otherwise?
Yeah, he was literally the best thing about that whole mess.
>>
>>84425753
Nope, I loved DD 2 despite its flaws. I'd definitely say it's not as tight or flawless as DD 1, but I was just enjoying it more. I dunno.

To me, JJ gets worse each time I watch it due to plot holes. Also, even though I really subscribe to a lot of the messages that JJ espoused, I thought they were a bit hamfisted.
>>
>>84425814

Fair play then.

I think for me it's just that Daredevil has never been my favorite hero, I always found him a little boring, and that didn't change with the show. On the other hand, I loved Alias and Pulse (in fact, they got me back into comics after a decade and a half of dismissing them) and I think that blinds me to the Netflix shows faults.
>>
>>84426005
Totally fair. I actually didn't care much about Daredevil or Jessica Jones, but Daredevil really won me over. I don't not like JJ, but all the stuff that people are saying about it being a revolution or something is way undeserved in my opinion.

If a show tackled issues like JJ;s with DD-tier writing? Orgasm.
>>
>>84420801
The idea that a whole season has to have 1 plot has become poisonous to TV storytelling. Especially for characters like detectives and superheroes (or superhero detectives) who are made to have short individual cases.

I know it's a reaction to the old days when every episode was completely self-contained and there was no continuing storylines allowed whatsoever, but it's an over-reaction.
>>
>>84423539
I just couldn't care about the Black Sky thing at all.
>>
>>84425107
>Likely for JJ's benefit.
this was my impression. The JJ writers learned from DD and didn't make their side characters upstage the titular character. His final fight against JJ made me accept him.
>>
>>84426060
I agree. I guess it's part of the rise of binge watching. If people are gonna be sitting and watching 4 or 5 episodes at a time, they want it to be something other than rinse and repeat.

I'd like for Jessica Jones' second season to have more self-contained cases. Make Alias Investigations handle a bunch of smaller cases, each of which teaches Jessica a lesson.
>>
DD1 plot/characters/fights > JJ Characters > DD2 Fights >JJ Plot > DD2 Plot/characters > JJ Fights-that-felt-like-an-old-90's show

>Have to love that jump-cut flying.

I did enjoy all of them, though. Kilgrave and Kingpin are comparably awesome villains, though.
>>
>>84424467
>>84425629
>>84425742

>On whether Luke Cage would address current race issues, including Black Lives Matter, given the character's past (a wrongfully imprisoned black man), Colter said, "this is not necessarily the platform to hit it head on" but "the things that he's going through will ring true for a lot of people in law enforcement...and people who are on the street will also relate to this character."

I trust Cheo Coker (worked on shows like Ray Donovan and Southland) and I'm sure they'll show both sides. Urban politics isn't a one-sided issue, with the right answer being somewhere in the middle.
>>
>>84426060

Kilgrave masterminding a bunch of different smaller plots for JJ would have improved the show a lot. I have no problem with an overarching plot, but not every show needs to be Game of Thrones.
>>
>>84426416
>I'm sure they'll show both sides.

I hope so. I guess they kind of have to since aside from traffic duty, capes in the Marvel world face a lot of the same moral issues as police, including overreach being a major theme is recent years.

I just don't want "Race Politics the TV Show"
>>
>>84426318

I think they should make Curtiss Jackson/Power Broker the big bad for Season 2 and make him the head of IGH with Karl Malus as the chief scientist.

Start the season off with the Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation, who uses similar strength enhancements with side effects pills/supplements that Nuke got. Jessica and Trish investigate (maybe Trish can enter the ring as Hellcat) and have them befriend Dennis "Demolition Man" Dunphy.

I think that'd be a cool way to continue the thematic elements of Season 1 while also charting new ground. You could have Dennis and Jessica bond over their traumas and seek to help each other overcome their demons. Jessica's experience with her Kilgrave ordeal could allow her to empathize and sympathize with Dunphy's struggles (continuing the themes of the help group from Season 1), and this might inversely help Jessica to open up more and be more positive. Also, IGH and the UCWF would allow for various smaller villains (like Armadillo or the Grapplers) to be utilized, something Jessica really needs. You can even tie Nuke back in and continue his storyline.

Plus the legality of the Corporation/IGH and the Unlimited Class Wrestling Foundation, the ethicality of their actions, the mystery, the effect their procedures have on people mentally and physically is something that fits the tone of Jessica's world and the noir/detective nature of her series so well.

This would solve JJ's main problem of needing more storylines and would also necssitate better action scenes.
>>
File: Magnificent man.png (189 KB, 502x343) Image search: [Google]
Magnificent man.png
189 KB, 502x343
>>84426590

I dunno. JJ is a very different show than DD and I don't really care to see a bunch of dedicated fighting going on all the time.

I'd like to see something slower and more methodical like a detective show is meant to be. Either something original or (in my dream of dreams) a thematic adaptation of The Pulse. I thought that was such a great idea, if not pulse-pounding.

>tfw no Urich
>tfw no Spidey or Osborn
>tfw no Bugle
>tfw no House of M
>tfw no Danvers
>>
File: UncleCage.jpg (302 KB, 626x596) Image search: [Google]
UncleCage.jpg
302 KB, 626x596
>Why was this allowed...?

I mean, yeah it's fucking awesome, but I don't think it's what they were going for.
>>
>>84415950
>how triggered you are that he tapped a white girl

This is /co/ and that is canon.

We'd be triggered if it DIDN'T happen.
>>
>>84415950
>I just hope he has some kinda shout-out to his original costume, even if it's just a ripped yellow shirt.

Anon, do you have even the slightest idea how many times he got his shirts DESTROYED in the old days?
>>
>>84416700
>As for the show, I wonder what the chances are for a Power Man shout out that isn't painfully hamfisted? As in, no "Damn, your really full of power, man."

Anon, that's actually better than how he originally picked the name.
>"Just call it black power, man."

I'm not lying, look it up. Power Man issue 16.
>>
>>84426724

You can still have the noir detective stuff because the mystery behind the UCWF and IGH and Power Broker. However, one of the complaints the first season got was the lack of fight scenes. Using these characters would allow for that. It doesn't have to be fighting all the time, but it would add to a show that needs it.
>>
>>84426883

>BOOM
>"Dude..."
>"I've got unbreakable skin."
>"You need unbreakable pants."
>"I get that a lot."
>>
>>84426987
>However, one of the complaints the first season got was the lack of fight scenes.

By people who didn't know what they were watching. They heard "Marvel" and expected capes and lasers. Alias isn't that kind of comic book, and JJ isn't (by her own admission and preference) that kind of character.
>>
>>84420796
Nah.

>With Cute Cage and Curly Fist, will you be able to handle it?
>>
File: DannyCried.jpg (166 KB, 305x554) Image search: [Google]
DannyCried.jpg
166 KB, 305x554
>>84427051
>>
>>84426994
How sad is it that I know exactly what book that scene is from?
>>
>>84426994
>>84427151
>>84427157

I read these issues (no kidding) fucking yesterday. lmao.

JJ2 should definitely be Pulse.
>>
>>84426818
Yeah, but for a while there all I was hearing about JJ was
>BLACK'D cuck hurr
from our usual tourists.
>>
>>84427200

They need Danny to be introduced first, so he can be an absolute asshole.
>>
>>84427031

Well yeah but I don't think one or two fight scenes would hurt, especially if they're setting up Trish as Hellcat and if Jessica fights with the other Defenders in the team-up.

But the UCWF/IGH/Power Broker also adds a ton of characters and things to do for Jessica so that they won't have the feeling of stretching things out.
>>
Im hype.
that is all
>>
>>84424178
>Lives above Chinese Restaurant

Guess that explains the Madame Gao sighting, then.
>>
>>84427200
I dunno, my favorite parts of The Pulse involve the Green Goblin (Jessica flying after him, grabbing his glider out from under him, and smacking him with it), and the entire thing really only had three arcs, one of which was an event tie-in.
>>
>>84424178
>he lives above a Chinese restaurant

Shit. There goes any hopes of the Gem Theater being in the show, and keeping him up all hours with showings of Howard Stark's Kid Colt movies.
>>
>>84425341
Blackploiation isn't all Luke Cage has going for him, you know.
>>
>>84424142
>>84424178
Man, I really wanna read Buck's pitch for Iron Fist.
>>
>>84427276
Doesn't really work as well, because MU Danny had a long-standing relationship with Luke, prior to him meeting Jessica. Not on the show.
>>
>>84427449
>Shit. There goes any hopes of the Gem Theater being in the show

I know the feeling. Even if they don't go the Hero for Hire route, I was hoping they'd have him at least move into the Gem Theater and befriend DW.

Here's hoping that maybe his apartment will get trashed and destroyed and he'll have to find a new one and move into the GEM theater.
>>
>>84426283
yeah I wasn't really insulting him as an actor just what he was given was great to work with
I thought we were gonna get cool Cage
>>
>>84427449
If Madame Gao does indeed run "Genghis Connie's" it would be a segue way to meeting Danny, but yeah sad we won't see D.W. (Unless, as a small minor character, later on.)
>>
>>84415950
The only thing wrong about him tapping Jessica is that MCU Jessica is a shit. Luke Cage was the best thing about that show, him and discount Captain America.
>>
>>84427264
To be fair, the way they did the sex scenes in JJ was remarkably tasteless. Even Game of Thrones is more tasteful than that.
>>
>>84428780
Nuke's presence was retardedly convenient. A lot of JJ suffers from coincidence.
>>
>>84428808
the only good one was when the guy was eating Trish out, probably because it was funny
>>
>>84424142
>>84424178
I swear to FUCK if they play Panda...
>>
>>84428998

Most likely 90s rap
>>
>>84427592

Yeah that'd be tight. Most likely the show will be about Danny returning for K'un-L'un to get revenge on Harold Meachum with his kids all butthurt that Danny came out of nowhere and will take over the company
>>
>>84428998
>>84429058
>no soul/funk soundtrack
>no Isaac Hayes cameo
>>
>>84429058
They better at least have some MF Doom in there somewhere
>>
>>84429267

You can't have black people without soul music so I'm sure that'll be there, especially in Harlem

>>84429431
I could see him. Has that Nas-vibe to him.
>>
File: 1464565103337.png (2 MB, 2877x1622) Image search: [Google]
1464565103337.png
2 MB, 2877x1622
i literally only care about this in the off-chance that Iron Fist is in it

they should have just done Power Man/Iron Fist instead
>>
>>84430948
Luke Cage is the better and more interesting character though, so why would they skip his solo series?
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.