[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WTF happened to Astro City? Why is it so shit now? I just read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: acsa_01_001 copy.jpg (1 MB, 1280x2013) Image search: [Google]
acsa_01_001 copy.jpg
1 MB, 1280x2013
WTF happened to Astro City? Why is it so shit now?

I just read Silver Agent. That shit is MINDBLOWING that anyone could write on that level in the cape genre. This might be literally the pinnacle of all cape writing just in terms of sheer scripting quality.

This series has gone from THAT to "Kurt Busiek writes random garbage no one wants to read but literal faggots defend because 'MUH FEELZ'".

How do you go from 20/10 caliber scripts that realized the promise and potential of Watchmen better than any other comic in history (and just happened to be sentimental and emotional) to something driven purely by sentimentality and forced attempts at "emotional" scenes?
>>
While we're at it, what's /co/'s favorite Astro City story?
>>
Do you really think the current arc is garbage, cranky?
>>
>>84378899
The whole recent volume is the worst thing Busiek has ever done.
>>
>>84378644
Haven't read Astro City in years but I figure sometimes creators just run out of steam.
>>
>>84378880
Probably the one where their Batman analogue was a vampire.

Shit was like Batman RIP before Batman RIP.
>>
>>84378945
I haven't kept up with it. I don't have anywhere near as high an opinion of the Silver Agent stuff as you do though - and Busiek has written a hell of a lot, it's really his 'worst ever'?
>>
>>84379106

Yeah, Confession was awesome.

My other favorite stories include that one when Jack-in-the-Box is attacked by two versions of his future son that had become vigilante montrosities, and the one about the Ghost Rider/Punisher analogue who protects a lawyer that became enrolled with a mafia family.
>>
>>84378644

What the fuck are you talking about? The current Astro City stuff is just as good as the old stuff.

That whole arc about the reformed villain/monster guy was great.

The recent follow up to the Jack In The Box story, set up the "twist" that we got in the very first Jack In The Box arc, and really fleshed out everyone's relationships.
You got shit taste OP, its okay.
>>
I sorta thought the recent Steeljack and Jack-in-the-Box continuations were unnecessary, but I understand your concern. At least the recent arc where it basically takes a perspective on the Skrulls fighting the Fantastic Four was neat. I'd like to learn more about the stuff that happened during the Dark Ages too, like the Apollo Eleven or the Timatw Nullifier analogue.

Also, I'm surprised nobody drew a crossover pic of Silver Agent and The Boss yet. They're basically two sides of the same coin.
>>
>>84378644
Anon, the whole story about Samaritan being forced to go out of action for a period was fantastic. One of the best single issue AC stories. Get your head out of your ass, its still a great comic. Not every arc is going to be Dark Age you fuck.
>>
>>84379276
Having an Apollo Eleven arc would be dope.
>>
File: nearnessofyou.jpg (49 KB, 583x449) Image search: [Google]
nearnessofyou.jpg
49 KB, 583x449
>>84378880
The nearness of you. It was one of those 1/2 issues but it was beautiful. It made me openly weep. Its fuckin script I read before the issue sans any art on it's own had me openly weeping.
It was despite it's lofty concept so grounded and utterly human it's themes....one of the finest stories I've ever read.
>>
Did anyone ever storytime the second half to that new Jack-in-the-Box two-parter? I don't remember seeing it on here.
>>
>>84378880
>>84379914

I don't like Astro City at all but that's a Top 10 all time great comic
>>
>>84378880

Confession is probably my favorite, but there's just so damn many that I love. Quite a bunch of single issue stories are very close to my heart, like the Supersonic special, the story about Atomicus, the very first issue and the Samaritan Special. There's nothing quite like Astro City when Busiek's at the top of his game.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.