[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Superman have a cape? He can fly without it and bullets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: superman-hamburgers.jpg (833 KB, 1313x1256) Image search: [Google]
superman-hamburgers.jpg
833 KB, 1313x1256
Why does Superman have a cape? He can fly without it and bullets bounce off him so it's not for protection. I read his costume was designed to emulate the circus strongmen of the 20s and 30s, like the tights and red undies, but how does a cape fit into that?
>>
>>84373523
He can use it to protect other people.
>>
>>84373544
Couldn't he just use his own body for that? Is the cape bulletproof too?
>>
Whos going to pay for all that shit?
>>
>>84373523
It's just part of his image, people expect it.
>>
File: shield.png (192 KB, 483x353) Image search: [Google]
shield.png
192 KB, 483x353
>>84373555

in the early golden era days, his suit was explicitly said to be made of an ultra-durable Kryptonian fabric that was almost as sturdy as he was, and he did things like shield other people from bullets with it, or something like pic related from the 40s cartoons
>>
File: supershit.jpg (54 KB, 273x496) Image search: [Google]
supershit.jpg
54 KB, 273x496
>>84373556

We all are.
>>
I think the cape was supposed to make him look "weird", like if an alien dignitary came to Earth Siegel and Schuster figured he would wear a cape or something
>>
>>84373523
Because his suit was based on carnival strongmen acts.
>>
>>84373523
He should have eaten lard/cooking oil if he was so desperate for calories. In fact considering how powerful his body is he could very well eat sawdust like if it were sugar!
>>
>>84373523
Because depicting motion, including flight is easier with a frame of reference like a cape flapping in the wind or a scarf. Hell, it's what makes drawing him when his max power was just leaping over tall buildings.
>>
>>84373772
But if you drink straight cooking oil you'll feel like shit for the rest of the day. I know.
>>
>>84374419
Not if you are superman. I bet he can eat graphite and shit diamonds.
>>
>>84373523
Kryptonian fashion.
>>
>>84373523
It has a pocket. He keeps snacks in it.
>>
>>84375301
He keeps his reporter clothes in it actually, But come to think of it, what about his shoes and boots.
>>
looks cool and he keeps stuff in the pocket that's on the underside of it
>>
>>84375159
He could probably just crush it in his hands to make diamonds. Come to think of it Superman's an asshole. He could solve world poverty in a day but chooses not to.
>>
>>84375378
How could that solve poverty? It would just devalue diamonds.
>>
>>84373523
It's for the flair motherfucker, capes look cool when they flutter in the wind.
>>
>>84375333
>what about his shoes
They cheat, he can just "compress" them into a little ball in the one story I've read where Superman keeps his Clark Kent clothes in a pocket on his cape.
>>
>>84375378
We can already make artificial diamonds for cheaper than the ones we pull out of the ground. Diamonds used for industrial tools are pretty much all synthetic.

>>84375418 is right. Making more diamonds just makes diamonds less valuable.
>>
File: a voracious superman.jpg (1 MB, 1313x1256) Image search: [Google]
a voracious superman.jpg
1 MB, 1313x1256
I don't have anything to contribute to this thread except that I liked that picture so I made a textless version
>>
>>84375713
Thanks anon, looks good. Saved.
>>
>>84375495
We actually control how many diamonds enter the market so finding a new source won't deflate their value.
>>
>>84373523
He is genetically predisposed to wear it.
>>
>>84373814
this
The cape also provides secondary motion, making it easier to tell superman's momentum
>>
I read somewhere it was because the original artist couldn't draw backs for shit, so they gave him a cape to cover his back
>>
>>84373664
> Superman's shit is like Nibbler's
>>
>>84373523
He's stylistically designed to be that way
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.