[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/co/ unpopular opinion thread? I really hate Steve Dillon's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
/co/ unpopular opinion thread?
I really hate Steve Dillon's art. His characters all look like GI Joe dolls. I'm convinced the only reason he's had a lasting career is due to being attached to Garth Ennis's better stories.

inb4 "I liked BvS" or "AoU" this board is filled with too many of those arguments already.
>>
Not an unpopular opinion around here, friendo.

It's also a bad opinion. Dillon is great.
>>
>>84352378
That's not unpopular though. Most people on /co/ dislike Dillon's art, it's why FrankFace became a meme.
>>
>>84352378

Dillon is great in Preacher and some of PunisherMAX, but yea, most of his stuff over the last 10 years is like a parody of himself; especially when it has coloring like OP's pic.
>>
File: 9sBt29g.jpg (647 KB, 2415x1857) Image search: [Google]
9sBt29g.jpg
647 KB, 2415x1857
>>84352378
>I really hate Steve Dillon's art.
I'm with you.
>>
>>84352436
>>84352378
It's so bland and unappealing. How does he even get work?
>>
>>84352378
>/co/ unpopular opinion thread?
>I really hate Steve Dillon's art.

Did you just discover /co/ in the last month or so?
>>
>>84352498
Like most of people in comics industry: cronyism.
>>
>>84352378

>Dillion

I will never forgive the man for ruining huge parts of important Hellblazer arcs with his fucking abominable art, fuck you Dillion you CUNT
>>
>>84352424
I wasn't even a fan of it in Preacher. I read that comic DESPITE the art because the story drew me in. And I only got around to reading it two years ago after putting it off for a while due to the art work.
>>
>>84352378
Wow, how did you have the courage to post such a controversial opinion? What a hero. You really don't play by the system's rules. You're a free thinker.
>>
File: 1467734628116.jpg (35 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
1467734628116.jpg
35 KB, 500x328
>>84352585
>OP wants to have a circlejerk over topic
>posts as "unpopular opinion"
>guaranteed responses
Seriously, this happens dozens of time a day. Are you surprised?
>>
>>84352436
I like this, but I kinda consider it comedy, is it supposed to be action with no comedy?
>>
>>84352378
Meh,i've seen worse, most of his arts fine.
>>
>>84352378
I'm going to get a lot of angry comments around here. But I really really don't like Gary Frank's art, everyone seems so plastic and creepy.
>>
>>84352585
Ironic.
>>
File: 1459865157135.jpg (99 KB, 980x515) Image search: [Google]
1459865157135.jpg
99 KB, 980x515
>>84352378
>not liking Dillon
>>
File: absolutely disgusting.jpg (24 KB, 182x224) Image search: [Google]
absolutely disgusting.jpg
24 KB, 182x224
>>84353208
I agree, and while Legion of Three Worlds was fantastic, the art hurt it some. Pic related, this is Saturn Girl. Imra looks fucking terrifying, and not in the way she ought to.

However, I feel Frank would do well in horror books.
>>
>>84352378
M8, that's not an opinion. That's a fact.
>>
I enjoy the works of Alex Ross
>>
>>84353367
I will kick you in the teeth.
Seriously, though. AR is a fine artist. He should just stick with doing covers. His style doesn't really work in comics (except perhaps for special occasions like Marvels).
>>
>>84352378
That was probably the worst Hulk run in recent history, and not just because Hulk is small and looks like Drax .
>>
>>84353120
I don't remember most of things from that Thunderbolts run, sorry.
>>
>>84352378
IT'S THE FACES... OR SHOULD THAT BE "FACE" GIVEN HE ONLY EVER LEARNED TO DRAW ONE FACE!
>>
File: 1464892913237.gif (2 MB, 330x166) Image search: [Google]
1464892913237.gif
2 MB, 330x166
I'm an artist; not an amazing artist, but I like drawing and I do it a lot. One of my favorite things to do is look at peoples' faces and discern what makes them so different. I like to observe specific individual traits, shapes, profiles, trends among heritages or races, angles, even stuff like hair or head ratios. Whenever I draw I try to make characters as different-looking as I can because that's what I find interesting.

Conversely art like Steve Dillon's pisses me off to no end because all of his characters share so many of the same features. Same eyes, same forehead, same nose, same ears. The guy knows how to draw one set of features and then copypastes them everywhere, even on to women. Do you know how fucking different a man and woman's face can be thanks to subtle traits like cheek density or earlobe height? You could write a book on it. Same thing pisses me off when an artist gives everyone giant featureless koala noses that no human being on earth possesses.

I'm preaching to the choir here but god I hate Frankface.
>>
>>84353568
>TL;DR Sameface is bullshit.
I'm right there with you, dude. There's nothing worse than not being able to tell the characters apart because they all look the goddamned same. It's why I support the general sentiment of encouraging a wider variety of body types in media, if only so it's that much easier to give each a character a unique appearance.
>>
>>84353673

Body types in media is more of a hiring problem than an artistic problem. We can go back as far as the '30s to see really fat, skinny or funny looking people in cartoons.
>>
Dillon back in his prime on 2000 AD was really good. Around the time he got on Preacher was when the early onset of Frank Face started showing up though.
>>
>>84353568
Just out of curiosity, who's your favorite artist?
>>
I like Dillon in that he's good at expressions in spite of his awful faces. I don't think it would be difficult to break the habit, but he seems rather complacent about the status of his art.
>>
>>84354039
Raven Molisee
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.