[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the best American anime? Samurai Jack or Avatar: The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
What was the best American anime? Samurai Jack or Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra?
>>
>>84344707
what the fuck does "anime" mean? I'm serious, people use it to describe all sorts of zany shit. is KotH an anime? Is Celebrity Deathmatch an anime? is Spawn an anime? is DCAU an anime?
>>
>>84344728

anime is literally animation from Japan, but Samurai Jack and Avatar take so many cues from Japanese animation they can be described as anime
>>
>>84344757
I mean they take cues and inspiration from a very specific genre of anime

things like K-ons and To Love Ru and Hamtaro are all animes too, its kinda a gross generalization and a horrible case of people being misinformed that a lot of american "anime fans" only seem to think that anime means shonen action shows
>>
>>84344757
No that's not how it works. Anime is animation created by Japanese people for a Japanese market for consumption in Japan.

Avatar and Samurai Jack were influenced by Japanese visual tropes and storytelling methods, but they were created for a Western market and an English speaking audience.
>>
>>84344707
>American anime
If it were up to me you'd be banned.
>>
>>84344728
>what the fuck does "anime" mean?
Okay serious response:
Japanese word for cartoon.
Also a Jap to English loanword for Japanese cartoon.

Any other usage you see, like this retard thread, is wrong.
>>
>>84344707
KOTH
>>
>>84344707
Popeye the Sailor.
>>
File: 1377544493678.jpg (109 KB, 800x509) Image search: [Google]
1377544493678.jpg
109 KB, 800x509
>>84344707
It might not be American but Oban Star Racers is definitely one of the best western animes ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZtonOhTKwk&list=PLFPKIFqyC_41edFUtp2sJHyfSw3cHrTIP
>>
>>84344707
Not only the best American anime, but widely considered to be the best anime in general. Satoshi Kon, before his passing, even expressed regret that he never had a chance to make a movie based on it.
>>
File: Simonlaweed.jpg (102 KB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
Simonlaweed.jpg
102 KB, 260x260
Sonichu
>>
>>84344728
Anime is literally a shortened word for animation.
It's only used as a term for Japanese animation outside of Japan.
To the Japanese, everything you listed is anime.
>>
I dunno, I feel like anime, as a word, has kind of evolved to reflect stylistic choices rather than country of origin
>>
>>84344707
mook animation's subsidaries SORATIA inc. as it is based in Uruma, Okinawa-based production studio. America technically owns a part of okinwana so any animation made there is technically as close to American anime as possible.
>>
>>84346416
Hayao Miyazaki who we all know believes Anime is a mistake made an exception for Cory in the House as he should.
>>
>>84344707
And to no one's surprise OP once again is a faggot.
>>
>>84346521
Well you feel wrong, Feely McFeels, because that's not how it works.
>>
>>84344707
>>84344757

Literally everything animated in the west is American Anime you dumbfuck. Japs call Disney Movies Anime. In an alternate universe you'd be asking "What was the best Japanese Cartoon?" Do you realize how fucking stupid it is?
>>
>>84344707
Teen Titans
>>
This is the dumbest fucking thread.
>>
Cartoon and Anime are different tiers of quality among animated works. In descending order, it goes: Japanimation -> Anime -> Animated Series -> Cartoon

Of course, as we all know, Japanimation was discontinued decades ago for being too good
>>
>>84346416
i cri evrytiem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inSHJVtwUFs
>>
>>84344757
Jack takes more cues from live action Japanese cinema than animation.
>>
>>84348360
>Cartoon and Anime are different tiers of quality among animated works.
> Anime -> Animated Series -> Cartoon
Okay.
>>
>>84344707
>not Megas XLR
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.