[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Doctor Strange Movie Tie-In Comic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 23
So today Marvel released one of two issues that are supposed to serve as preludes to the Doctor Strange movie. As you might expect from most movie tie-in comics, it's not very good. However, it at least gives us our best idea so far on how the magic is going to be depicted in the movie, as well as giving us a look at some of the characters from the movie we haven't seen much of yet.

As you can see, they cheaped out on the cover.
>>
Wouldn't be magic without some non-descript runes and sigils.
>>
>>84305854
>>
>>84305955

Oh, hey, it's Wong. He's a wizard now.
>>
>>84306032

So, the Masters of the Mystic arts seem to be the MCU's Green Lanterns (but for magic), at this rate. Oh, also, we finally get official confirmation on who Mads Mikkelsen is playing, though it had leaked months ago as a rumor.

Also Kamar-Taj was the small Tibetan village the Ancient One was native too. In the MCU it's either this fictional city, or possibly just the name for the Ancient One's temple. It's unclear.
>>
Is that all?
>>
>>84306125

And here's Brother Voodoo and Nico Minoru's mom. I don' think they're actually in the movie, and them appearing her is probably just because there were limits on which movie characters the comic could use, but you never know. Maybe they're minor players in the movie.

Kaecilius seems to suggest Drumm should be elsewhere here, so I guess he's the Master of Mysticism is charge of keeping any eye on the Caribbean, maybe?
>>
>>84306181

I guess Kaecilius has a pair of special knives he uses.
>>
>>84306208
>>
>>84305805
The thing is, why use Kaecilius?
>>
>>84306254
>>
>>84306125

>several masters of the mystic arts

That's fine, there's tons of "masters of magic" or whatever, but Strange is still Sorcere Surpeme. The only mantle that should matter

>Daniel Drumm

DOCTOR VOODOO NETLIX SERIES WHEN
>>
>>84306181
Daniel Drumm is Jericho's brother
>>
>>84306299

>>84306325

Ah, damn, that's right, I always get their names switched around. Yeah, I think we can safely say neither of these characters will be in the movie. They're just so they could have some extra wizards in this comic.
>>
>>84306383

So is this artifact supposed to be the Staff of One or something?
>>
>>84306416
>>
>>84306181
It'd be cool to see these characters in the movie. But I'm not holding my breath
>>
>>84306437

You know, a lot of the magic combat in this seems to just be hitting things with sticks and knives while some glowy lights flash. That has me a bit worried. One of my least favorite parts of the Dr. Strange Animated movie was that they translated all his weird magical battles from the comics into just him and Mordo conjuring some lightsabers and having a swordfight. Also kind of irritating how in the new Aaron run Strange mainly just summons an axe and then hits something with it instead of his oldschool "blast it with untold arcane power" approach.
>>
File: image.jpg (321 KB, 1026x1590) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
321 KB, 1026x1590
>>84306383

>amplifying doubt and fear

D'spayre?
>>
>>84306502

Continuing the Green Lantern analogy, Kaecilius is clearly Sinestro. Slightly arrogant guy who's still a team player and gets along with everyone else, but eventually betrays the organization and tries to do his own thing, forming a rival organization.
>>
>>84306579

>>84306521

I was thinking it was drawing on the Darkforce myself.
>>
>>84306579

>everyone has Wanda and Staffs

Come on
>>
>>84306635
>>
>>84306691
>>
>>84306715
>>
>>84306735

So apparently in the MCU the Sanctum Sanctorum is the Masters of the Mystic Arts' secret vault for storing magical artifacts, while Kamar-Taj is their HQ.

Calling it now: Kamar-Taj (or at least the temple complex) gets destroyed and the Ancient One is killed, along with most of the MotMA, with only Strange, Wong, and Mordo escaping to the Sanctum Sanctorum, which they turn into their new HQ.
>>
>>84306801

And that's all she wrote. A generic, unremarkable story with mediocre dialogue, but we got a few minor insights into the movie.
>>
>>84305805
thanks op
>>
>>84306502
On the other hand, would you see them put little explanation boxes overlaid on top of the movie?
>>
>>84309521

No, but I'd hope they design the visuals of the spells in such a way that you could figure out what was happening. Ditko was really good at that, making the spells look weird and otherworldly, but still giving you a sense of the push and pull or what was going on.
>>
>>84306383
Extra wizards related to wizards who are actual characters, in case Marvel Studios ever wants to use them in future.
It's the little things.
>>
>>84306521
Source?
>>
>>84311970

Makes you wonder who'll show up in the next issue. Baron Mordo's granddad? Wong's fiancé?
>>
>>84306383
The sceptre...hmmm...could it be the same sceptre but in different manifestation?
>>
>>84311970
Those "extra" wizards are actual characters.
>>
File: 1467768559343.jpg (70 KB, 703x493) Image search: [Google]
1467768559343.jpg
70 KB, 703x493
Please don't let it just be a flashy kung fu movie.
>>
>>84314540

Here's hoping, Anon. Surely Dr. Strange has to blast the shit out of some motherfuckers at some point, right?
>>
>>84305805
>>
>>84306032

Wong had magic powers in the old Doctor Strange TV movie with Peter Hooten.
>>
>>84306579
>Kaecilius
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Kaecilius_(Earth-616)
>>
File: brak.jpg (78 KB, 1080x608) Image search: [Google]
brak.jpg
78 KB, 1080x608
>>84306299
>BRAK
>>
>>84306287
Disposable villain of the month.
>>
>>84306032
Hasn't Wong always been a wizard, just not as good as Strange?
>>
>>84316062

It's pretty obvious at this point that MCU Kaecilius isn't going to resemble comic Kaecilius very much.

>>84316601

Nah, Wong was originally just introduced as a manservant. Later comics made him a martial artists, and sometimes that's been extended to Iron Fist style Chi-shenanigans, minor super human agility and strength, that sort of thing. For the most part he's just a well trained human, though he knows a lot about magic both from his training and from hanging around Stephen for so long.

The idea that Wong was a peer to Strange and also knew magic is relatively new, first introduced in (I think) JMS' "Beginnings and Endings," a non-canon retelling of Strange's origins, and then continued in the non-canon "Season One" story, and then picked up by stuff like the animated movie. It's a newer interpretation of the character that seems to be growing in popularity.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.