[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /co/ like Don Rosa?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: Don-Rosa-affisch.jpg (637 KB, 900x1203) Image search: [Google]
Don-Rosa-affisch.jpg
637 KB, 900x1203
Does /co/ like Don Rosa?
>>
>>84278118
Yeah, quite a bit. I wish someone else would come along who's just as knowledgable about the Duckverse. It stinks we have to end it at Rosa, now that he's retired.

A similar Mickey-verse would be cool, too. To my knowledge he's never had the comics lore that Donald has, aside from the newspaper strips.
>>
Also, just curious, is Don Rosa autistic? Not trying to be insulting, but the way he remembers details and the Carl Barks lore is, frankly, astounding

Also he just posted a bunch of photos of his yard on his facebook and mentioned in detail exactly what was on each picture and how many passes of the mower it took to mow it properly
>>
>>84278186
He seems to be more OCD than straight up autistic. He seems pretty socially aware in interviews and stuff.
>>
>>84278118
The madman gave me the feels over ducks. DUCKS I say!
>>
Be sure to count the number of posters in this thread.

Let's see if all of /co/ likes him or just some of /co/ likes him.
>>
>>84278146
I doubt we will get another one though, Disney did not deserve him, and if someone as brilliant as him comes around again, they'll probably have learned from the mistake Rosa did, and go someplace else

>>84278186
He kept rereading the same stuff as a kid, and built the majority of his career around it not much of a surprise he can remember stuff
It's about as surprising as when an expert on Greece can recite a long speech Achilles holds after slaying Hector.

>>84278400
I think he once fixed a tiny historically inaccurate detail with one of his stories, because he was told "only about 200 people would be able to point out the inaccuracy"
>>
I love him.

A better question is how many Americans on /co/ like Don Rosa? He's basically a legend in Scandinavia, but I never hear Americans talk about him.
>>
>>84278450
Well there's always gonna be a contrarian.
>>
File: tumblr_n1kk1ulR3x1qcf65wo1_1280.jpg (666 KB, 1171x1724) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1kk1ulR3x1qcf65wo1_1280.jpg
666 KB, 1171x1724
He's great. I generally prefer his physics gimmick stories, like "Cash Flow", "Matter of Some Gravity" and "Universal Solvent." I like authors who can bring a sense of reality to their settings, though it is a bit weird that he did this so well to a comic about cartoon ducks.
>>
>>84278118
Yes, love his work.
/co/ love towards him is ambivalent.
>>
Fucking love his style and lore. This is one of the things I can read and reread time and time again.

>when scrooge reveals why he came out of his citizen-kane like state
had me in tears
>>
I'm looking forward to starting Rosa. I'm just getting into Carl Barks with Lost in the Andes and The Old Castle's Secret collections

The Barks stuff reminds me a lot of Tintin in how enjoyable and funny it still is decades later
>>
>>84279406
The "Only a Poor Old Man" collection probably contains the most seeds to Rosa's interpretation of the characters.
>>
He's my hero desu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWwSVOo5K_k
>>
>>84278118
He put a lot of heart into his work, Ican think of just one other person who cared so much about his comic - Dave Sim.
>>
Pretty great, yeah. I've been getting the slipcases of his work since Fantagraphics started putting them out. Can't wait for the rest.
>>
>>84278186
>but the way he remembers details and the Carl Barks lore is, frankly, astounding
Remember that he does not remember every piece of Barks and only recognizes things he remembers as a kid in the 50s as canon
>>
>>84281667
Not true.
That man has a collection of every barks story, and the only stuff he "ignores" is stuff that goes against the majority of other barks stories.
>>
>>84278186
He's a professional artist and writer. Keeping track of these details and building stories around them is literally his job. Well, was, but you know...
>>
Well my whole country loves him, and I'm no exception. He was really cool when he came to visit our office a couple years back.
>>
What would you guys say are the most essential Barks stories? I've read Life and Times and a couple of other Rosa stories, but I really feel like I should read at least some of the Good Duck Artist before going into more of Rosa's work.
Ones that are particularly closely linked to Life and Times would be appreciated.
>>84280749
>That video
Shit, man, I'm tearing up.
>>
>>84281865
Right so he picks and chooses
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.