[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are X-Men movies dying? People paid more to see a rated R
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 14
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 600x400
Why are X-Men movies dying? People paid more to see a rated R solo movie than an X-Men movie.
>>
>>84210047
Because we've had the same shit for almost 16 years
>>
>>84210047
It has dragged on for a very long time, and people only liked Wolverine, which has gotten old too.
The fact that after 16 years it's still stuck at Magneto being the bad guy doesn't help.
>>
>>84210047
People paid more to see a good movie that was true to it's source material than a mediocre movie that makes Mystique the main character because the actress is currently popular.
>>
>>84210047
Part of it is the general preference of movie going audiences for single-character films. The more characters, the more complex the movie needs to be, and most people aren't going to action movies to think about group interactions or keep track of who has what powers.
TLDR - movie goers are dumb, and large casts thend to confuse them.
>>
Maybe if the movies were X-Men movies and not Wolverine And His Amazing Scene Furniture people would enjoy them more.
>>
>>84210100
>The more characters, the more complex the movie needs to be, and most people aren't going to action movies to think about group interactions or keep track of who has what powers.
TLDR - movie goers are dumb, and large casts thend to confuse them.
>What is The Avengers
>What is Captain America: Civil War
>>
File: 1462885025022.png (330 KB, 400x301) Image search: [Google]
1462885025022.png
330 KB, 400x301
X-Men should be a fun, colorful adventure with a diverse and enjoyable cast, something closer in tone to Guardians of the Galaxy or The Avengers.

The first X-Men movie was kind of close, hitting the right balance of comics hero humor along with some entertaining action sequences. But it was a bit too dark, and these movies always have been.

It's crazy when Deadpool is more violent and adult-oriented yet is still the more upbeat and colorful movie
>>
>>84210075
>Wolverine

See I disagree, I think they is WAY too much Wolverine. Any movie he's in he's the main focus. Look at the Avenger movies, they all get equal time it's not just Iron Man.
>>
>>84210047
I planned to go see it but was put off by the length of the movie plus the shitty showtimes at my local theater.
>>
>>84210194
This. Also, they need to focus on the team as a whole, not just on which characters have the highest paid actors.
>>
>>84210140
Top kek
>>
>>84210194
Speaking of colours...
>>
>>84210462
It's gold.
>>
File: 475412511.jpg (66 KB, 507x338) Image search: [Google]
475412511.jpg
66 KB, 507x338
>>84210140
Furniture people really are hard to please tbqh
>>
they don't respect the source material, and the 'joke' is getting old
>>
>>84210516

>they don't respect the source material

That has nothing to do with film quality.
>>
File: highground.png (264 KB, 476x488) Image search: [Google]
highground.png
264 KB, 476x488
>>84210475
>>84210462
It's Golden Yellow
>>
>>84210047

I can see the solo movies doing better. I think X-men, as a team, just isn't appealing to casuals.
>>
>>84210516
>>84210529
Anon's kinda right, a movie can be enjoyable despite departing to the source material

But that being said, that can still be one reason why some people aren't compelled to see and like the movies
>>
>>84210529
it obviously does
>>
>>84210550
Yet none of the two Wolverine movies made a significately bigger buck than the team ones, and he's arguably the most famous of the bunch
>>
>>84210584

No it doesn't. Constantine is nothing like the source materiel and it's still an entertaining film. Hellboy as an adaptation is loose if we're being generous, both those movies were good. Wanted was hilariously nothing like the comic and that was still a damn entertaining action movie.

And a decent number of the X-films are good. 1, 2, FC, DOFP, The Wolverine, Apocalypse depending on which side of the lien you're on.
>>
>>84210623
The first one leaked online and the second one had no hype surrounding it.
>>
X-men should be a TV series, where the interpersonal drama (what made it grade in the 70s) is played with time and detail. Rushing to action is normally boring for the X-men because many powers are abstract and some of the main characters are too powerful.
>>
>>84210623

Well when the first movie is Origins, you're bound to stumble a bit. Las one was good enough so maybe this next one will be better received.
>>
>>84210047
yes and no

people actually "paid more" to see Apocalypse than, well, any of the other X-Men movies, because the price - even adjusting for inflation - is much higher now than at any previous time

but of course fewer people actually paid to see it, so the audience is far smaller than at almost any other time (haven't done the breakdowns, but it was declining domestics even with the overall gross remaining roughly the same across 2000-2011, and certainly fewer went to see this than X3 or X2)

as long as movies make money it doesn't really matter whether they're any good, which is why Chris Nolan is still in demand after TDKR
>>
>>84210047
Continuity is crap.

Its why MCU does so good. It's consistent and has 1 vision. It seems X-men goes for whatever flavor of the moment. Not to mention they let Jennifer Lawrence basically kidnap the series.
>>
>>84210703
>which is why Chris Nolan is still in demand after TDKR

Ignoring the fact that TDKR was still critically well-received, you don't just dump someone with such a curriculum for stumbling once

>>84210722
What's funny is that we know for a fact that the MCU producers and directors/writers make shit up as they go, and yet they at least try to make shit feel connected
>>
>>84210047
superhero movies have to be comedies to succeed
>>
>>84211010
Bendisisms
>>
File: Busiek's Marvels.jpg (472 KB, 1200x1845) Image search: [Google]
Busiek's Marvels.jpg
472 KB, 1200x1845
>>84210194
>persecuted minority analogies
>fun and colorful
>closer in tone to Guardians of the Dance Off

Know how I can tell you jumped on the bandwagon with the MCU?
>>
>>84211327
Bendisisms?
>>
No quips
>>
>>84210047
Singer, and the stupid shit he keeps pulling over and over again in his movies. He has absolutely no interest in showcasing anyone in a team, in a team movie, outside of j.law. I don't even like cyclops, but the dude has been relegated to more or less a cameo in all the x-men movies.
>>
>>84210194
>It's crazy when Deadpool is more violent and adult-oriented yet is still the more upbeat and colorful movie

Its really fucking crazy that Deadpool had more color, life, charm, comic booky-feel and happy moments than the entiriety of Batman V Superman.
>>
>>84210194

x-men was never fun and colorful. they were constantly being discriminated, insulted and shat upon and they have to sit there and say "thank you can i have another" while saving humanity's ass over and over again.
>>
File: deadpool vs deathstroke.jpg (479 KB, 1920x1020) Image search: [Google]
deadpool vs deathstroke.jpg
479 KB, 1920x1020
>>84211551
Deadpool is literally a parody of a grim n serious DC character, so no.
>>
>>84210047

They are mediocre to terrible flicks with poor continuity, watered down the source material so much that no one cares anymore.
>>
>>84210462

God how did that thread fucking HAPPEN jesus christ
>>
File: colicos1.jpg (65 KB, 1055x742) Image search: [Google]
colicos1.jpg
65 KB, 1055x742
>>84210047

So I'm gonna let you guys in on a secret:

Apocalypse is not a serious villain. He's a punching bag, a veritable telethon of comically inept villainous melodrama who is primarily enjoyable because of how incredibly over the top he is. Pic related is almost the entire reason he has any popularity or fame at all. The other reason is that AoA was, despite being thoroughly ridiculous, actually quite good: one of the only times a major cross-over AU event has been sincerely enjoyable from beginning to end.

In almost every appearance, Apocalypse is built up as this huge threat who is then summarily curb stomped with little ceremony or impact. He's a flavor-of-the-month event that got hilarious exposure from an incredible performance and one major event that actually had very little to do with him.
>>
>>84210047
Not enough shirtless Jackman.
>>
File: fuck dude step it up.png (70 KB, 600x633) Image search: [Google]
fuck dude step it up.png
70 KB, 600x633
>>84211869

That is not a fucking argument. You have proven literally nothing, other than stating the connection between Deadpool and Deathstroke exists.
>>
>>84212167
Yes it is.

>deaddpool had more color, life, charm, comic booky-feel and happy moments than a film about actually serious characters, one of them actually called the "Dark Knight," often treated with the gravitas of Greek gods

Deadpool's a joke character; of course his movie was funny.

And what the fuck does "comic booky" mean, anyways?
>>
>>84211363
Xmen always get worse when you focus too much on worldwide drama and muh analogies that don't really fit.
>>
>>84210194
>X-Men should be a fun, colorful adventure with a diverse and enjoyable cast, something closer in tone to Guardians of the Galaxy or The Avengers.
This is why I wanted a real sequel to First Class. Could have been great.
>>
>>84210047
>Why are X-Men movies dying
Just because Apocalypse was a stumble doesn't mean they're "dying." First Class and Days of Future Past were easily the best in the series. Not to mention Deadpool.

That being said, I kinda wish the were dying so Marvel could buy back the rights. Though I wish that more for Fantastic Four if only so Dr. Doom can be an Avenger villain.
>>
>>84212475

Now you're getting closer to an actual argument.

>Ignore the lack of life, color, charm, and happy moments.
>In a movie about Superman

Ok mate.

Comic booky means it "feels like a comic book movie based on the actual source comics and characters as opposed to pretentious cunt waft wankery"
>>
After 16 years Fox still doesn't know how to make a fucking superhero movie. They just get lucky every now and then. Like deadpool, Fox refused to make that movie for 7 years and all their executives said that a tiny fan base couldn't make back the money it cost to make. Those idiots look down on their customers and can't understand today's markets.
>>
>>84210096
deadpool was better but it wasnt really true to the source material
>>
>>84210047
does not matter,xmen has a story while avengers is same thing over and over again
and besides,marvel comics right now are utter shit so eventually they will have nothing good adapt
then we will see how they make money
>>
>>84210047
they are doing good?
down jr will disappear, while x-men will remain
>>
>>84213531
>xmen has a story

Explain the fox-men story.

Here is some of the "Avengers" story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACL8nKOUoxk&index=125&list=WL
>>
>>84210047
they are doing better than mcu
>>
Long live x-men, stay away from robert downey jr
>>
>>84213606
wow,talk about an in denial MCU faggot
instead of that why don't ya watch the avengers movies again to see if they have any story whatsoever at all period
x men has a story while avengers have nothing
and avengers movies will turn to shit the moment they adapt the recent comics
>>
>>84213606
oh,and what about civil war 2?
is that not rehashing the same thing?
>>
>>84213703
Explain the fox-men story.>>84213606
>>
>>84210299
Yeah but the problem with that is the other characters are garbage. Would you like to see Salsa's embarrassing acting skills given as much showtime time as Wolverine?
>>
>>84213724
first class and days of future past
what about you?
and no civil war shit please
you know very well that marvel movies will be shit with how their comics are nowadays
its strange,every marvel faggot keeps ignoring the fact that marvel will have nothing good to adapt eventually giving an automatic win to fox
>>
>>84213772
>first class and days of future past

I ask you to explain the story and you list 2 flick.

Serious question: Are you retarded?
>>
>>84210299
Civil War had more Iron Man than Cap.
>>
>>84213804
you posted a civil war related video
thats a flick too
>>
>>84213860

Factually incorrect.

Captain America- 36
Iron Man- 33:45
Winter Soldier- 21
Widow- 11:45
Falcon- 10:30
T'Challa- 10:15
Scarlet Witch- 10
Zemo- 9:15
Spider-Man- 8:30
Vision- 7:15
War Machine- 6
Hawkeye- 4:45
Ant-Man- 4:45
Sharon Carter- 3:45
Secretary Ross- 3:15
Crossbones- 1:45
Howard Stark- 1:30
T'Chaka- 1:30
Everett Ross- 1:15
Aunt May- 1
>>
>>84213912
Can you do the same thing with lines, not time on screen?
>>
>>84210047
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6OkpWxFpiI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqVmd266VA8

*mic drop*
>>
>>84211536
I think part of the reason Apocalypse didn't do as well is because Singer's pretty much run out of tricks. A significant amount of DOFP was basically "hey guys, remember X2?" and that worked once, but doing it again fell flat. Even positive reviews for the movie had a tendency towards calling it "more of the same, nothing new."
>>
>>84213226
>Just because Apocalypse was a stumble doesn't mean they're "dying."
The movies have actually been earning less and less for years. DOFP was the only one to reverse the trend of earning less than its predecessor (thanks largely to having the biggest marketing campaign of any X-Men movie), but then Apocalypse went right back to it, and on top of that wasn't well received by critics.

People are losing interest in the series.
>>
>>84214749
The series just needs a break. It's running on fumes and its continuity has become a mess. It just needs to take a good 10 years off and reboot.

I doubt that will ever happen because the rights will probably expire if they take that long.
>>
>>84214749
>>84214894
First Class represented an upturn of interest in the series which DOFP continued to carry.

Apocalypse lost interest because it foundered a bit as a third-act in the trilogy.

Deadpool is part of the X-Franchise and has a general appeal for an R-rated movie. I wouldn't exactly describe the brand or franchise as worn out when Deadpool made such a splash. While the mainline films series experienced a downturn in Apocalypse, I don't get why this site is so convinced that the franchise is in the crapper.

It's exactly like people on /v/ who insisted that "Nintendo was over" when Iwata died and the WiiU wasn't as huge a success as it could have been.
>>
>>84210047
Because Bryan Singer never got the point of the X-men.

It's not about Xavier and Magneto it's about the kids.
>>
>>84215092
Thing is, Deadpool is technically part of the franchise but people still view it as separate. It's kind of its own thing.

The problem with citing FC and DOFP as upturns of interest is that doing so acknowledges that there was a downturn to begin with. Fatigue has been there for a while. FC did well critically but it made less money than Origins. At that point, you could argue the franchise became stable rather than continuing the downward spiral, but it still wasn't as big as it had been. DOFP was the one that really turned things around, but all the goodwill seems to have been squandered.

The reason the franchise is considered to be back into decline isn't because of one bad movie, it's because it's been in decline since 2006. Like I said, even positive reviews for Apocalypse indicated a sense of fatigue. The franchise isn't dying, it has a few films left before it starts really sinking, but they need a better direction for it if they want to avoid that. It briefly turned away from that course, but now it's right back where it was before DOFP.
>>
>>84210188
Because Avengers and Civil War took the time to give most of the cast solos and build up their characters beforehand.
>>
>>84215318
That's a fair point, I suppose that popular appeal can only last so long before burnout occurs.

There's that and the fact that Apocalypse was just an okay movie, I liked it better than Civil War but that doesn't excuse the fact that it's more like a bunch of neat ideas and scenes strung together rather than a fully coherent story.

Why people see Deadpool as separate franchise rather than a spin-off, which would be more accurate, is a little baffling. There were even direct X-Men tie-ins, and Colossus finally got a part longer than a few seconds. But I guess the intertia-killing Last Stand still has it's effect.

I'm actually looking forwards to the next X-Movie, but we'll see how it plays out.
>>
>>84215318
>>84215420

Also, I forgot to add:

There's now substantially more competition in the genre of "superhero" films than there was with the original X-trilogy. Audiences now had the option to go to three large overblown blockbusters (BvS, Civil War, and Apocalypse) rather than just one and a few unrecognizable comic-book adaptations. I feel like that's a factor in the decline of box office returns.
>>
>>84210047
Why is Deadpool trying to shoot Ivan Ooze?
>>
>>84215443
This is something to consider, though I think that may have been something they took into account when making Apocalypse but it probably worked against them. The movie's very bombastic and big on special effects in a way most of the X-Men movies haven't been. In some ways it felt like it was going for being loud and flashy at the expense of the story, which wasn't quite as developed. It's possible Singer and the producers wanted to do this as a way to compete with other superhero movies.
>>
>>84215491
Yeah, this one was a little more Michael Bay-ish.
>>
>>84215393

No, I disagree. You can never assume that a person seeing Movie A has seen Movies B and C to understand the characters. Every movie still has to stand in its own right and make the audience understand who is who, what they can do, what their motivations are, etc. and has to be able to juggle them all effectively to be good in and of itself. While, say, the relationship between Cap & Bucky has been built up over two previous movies and is most powerful having seen all of them, it still has to be presented in a coherent and meaningful way by Civil War alone. You grok?

As loathe as I am to agree with Moviebob, I think his video a week or two ago criticizing the X-Men franchise had a few good points. One of them was they've never really learned from either their mistakes or their successes. They're still making many of the same styling and storytelling choices they made on X1, sixteen years ago. While there is something to be said for consistency, when you don't learn, you can't improve. I hope that Singer's departure, as much as I've appreciated his work on the movies, leads to improvement.
>>
>>84210047
I think it's a loss of interest and they even ran Wolverine into the ground plus I hate how everyone was sucking Jlaw dick in the movie
>>
>>84210047

Because they are every hollywood exec movie stereotype given life.

Copy paste plot, focus on the exact same characters of an ensemble cast, whoring out of the good parts of previous movies.

You have an entire franchise consisting of hundreds of different characters to pull from and build an entire universe out of, yet you focus on the same fucking 5? Even after one of them doesn't want to be in the damn thing.

DC/Marvel and others may not be groundbreaking new, but they aren't as insulting to the brain as fox.
>>
>>84210584
Do you know how many movies have taken the source material and then thrown out the window? And then managed to still be a great or even better movie?

A shit ton of them. Comics aren't some special unique snow flake that must be 1 to 1 translated. HIstory, books, poems, etc have it happen all the time.

The problem is the writers/directors/project managers/etc are fucking up by not planning out what needs to happen to make the film work. A good example of this is compare the thoughts behind Sony's Spidermen films to the MCU notes we get.
>>
>>84210047
Is that the Ooze guy from the Power Rangers movie?
>>
>>84213772
>nothing to adopt

Assuming Marvel continues on the SJW trend with nothing good in the future.

Marvel still has over a decade's worth of stories they could slot in with ease. You realize strictly from a story point of view, there's nothing holding them from doing a secret war(s), galactic storm, annihilation, armor wars, and a shit ton more of arcs/events? Yes a lot of things would have to be changed, but as Cap CW proved, sometimes change is for the better.

And not to mention that the MCU will not go on forever. Eventually they will reboot so new audiences can hop onboard and start the ride anew with their kids.
>>
>>84211363
>"They're not worth it."
Fuck dude I read that only a month ago and now you're making me want to read it again.
>>
>>84211965

What thread? Elaborate please.
>>
>>84213703
The most recent cap movie adapted a terrible, god-awful storyline and is one of the best entries in the series.
>>
JLaw
>>
>>84210722

This.

Part of the reason the new x-men movies are so lame is alot because of the production and writing but since the start of the franchise they felt the need to shoehorn in mystique as an actual xmen character when is retarded, then instead of letting her go after the first trilogy they just recast her and kept going

nobody gives a single fuck about mystique other than the almost naked makup and boobies you get to look at sometimes.

Rogue, Storm, even fuckin Jubilee/Dazzler would have been a more appropriate character to shove into every single movie as a main protagonist.

days of future past was a god damn embarassment.
>>
>>84215713
No every movie doesn't have to be able to stand on its own without the backing of the rest of the series, this is only a rule to sell movies well, not a rule of making good movies. What are you gonna tell me the part 2 and part 3 of the human condition are bad because they require the context of the earlier movies? Nah.
>>
>>84215951
>Marvel still has over a decade's worth of stories they could slot in with ease. You realize strictly from a story point of view, there's nothing holding them from doing a secret war(s), galactic storm, annihilation, armor wars, and a shit ton more of arcs/events?

Sure, we all know that... but theres no way in hell theyre going to properly adapt any of that, they just churn out shit, speaking more of FOX btw not the MCU movies although i fuckin hated CW other than the airport fight.
>>
>>84214292
/thread
>>
>>84211701
All that grim prejudice stuff didn't really exist until Claremont took over the franchise.

In the beginning, the Xmen were more about fun. The comics were pretty bad, but they were more upbeat than what they are now.
>>
>>84217339
Yeah, they were a pretty basic superhero team in the first run. There was a notion that came up now and then that mutants were distrusted but it was never central, and it was usually only mentioned in passing. It wasn't until Claremont seized on that idea that it became a defining part of the X-Men's story.
>>
>>84215951
Fox employees are desperate and don't want movie goers pulling a ASM campaign like after ASM2 where everyone was demanding Sony give Spidey back to Marvel. So they pay people to go into online forums and pretend the X movies (and Fox's FF) are good and that Marvel studios would rape them. Despite Fox still refusing to give the X-Men colorful costumes and making the movies Unfun and literally only focusing on Magneto, Prof X, Magneto, Wolverine, Magneto, Mystique, and Magneto.
>>
>>84217409
>Magneto, Prof X, Magneto, Wolverine, Magneto, Mystique, and Magneto.
I can't wait for the next movie to have Magneto go right back to being a douche and having Xavier talk him out of it yet again.

Oh, sorry, my mistake, this time they had Xavier fail to talk him out of it, but instead Mystique talked him out of it... by reminding him of what Xavier had already told him.
>>
>>84218305
>Hey Erik, you sure you don't want to stick around?
>Nah I'm gonna fuck off and do nothing and pretend I didn't kill billions
>Okay, see you in the 90's when we have this exact same conversation again
>>
>>84210047
Because Deadpool has a strong fanbase and is popular. The fact that Fox didnt know this and tried to kill the movie shows how fucking incompetent they are an that they have no clue what makes the X-Men popular.
>>
apocolupse looked bad and the add campaign was shit
the film was average

Make a good movie and a decent add campaign it will do

Deadpool was awful but the ad campaign was great. (it fooled me into seeing it)

>INB4 deadpool was funny
it wasn't...it really wasn't
>>
>>84210462
Paralympic gold, we already have been through this a thousand time
>>
File: colinsrsly.jpg (21 KB, 347x365) Image search: [Google]
colinsrsly.jpg
21 KB, 347x365
>>84217409
>Fox employees are desperate and don't want movie goers pulling a ASM campaign like after ASM2 where everyone was demanding Sony give Spidey back to Marvel. So they pay people to go into online forums and pretend the X movies (and Fox's FF) are good and that Marvel studios would rape them

Yeah, they totally do that... thats a thing, that they do... I know this because I can tell you're a totally grounded individual and not at all FUCKING CRAZY

holy crap get a hold of yourself before you spin off the god damn Earth
>>
>>84219260
>muh opinion is a fact
kill yourself
>>
>>84219698
It's time we face the facts: we're all shills. We're here to try to convince regular posters to support movies made by our studios, but there are no regular posters. We're just shilling at shillers. This isn't a productive use of time or manpower.

But I can't tell my bosses this because then I'll lose my job. I have to keep up the charade and pretend there's anyone here that isn't already being paid by someone. I have loans to pay and a family to feed, so I need to keep up the charade. I hate this. I hate every minute of it and I need a way out.
>>
>>84220114
Kid, I've been in the shilling business since the 80's. I've shilled for the Warners. I've shilled for Disney. I've shilled for Fox, Columbia (back when it was still just Columbia) and I've shilled for Tristar and Orion. God help me I've even shilled for Cannon and Carolco. You're eventually going to face the same reality I did: there's no way out. There is no escape. Once you've entered the shill game, the only way out is death. The studios are going to buy and sell you like the cheap whore you are and each time you get a new master you're going to suck their dick and smile like you mean it. The only way to survive is... dehumanize yourself and face to shilling.
>>
>>84211965

Is it archived somwhere?.
>>
>>84220114
>>84220260

Why the hell do people care so much about others being fans of what they like? Its like some latent high school group think bullshit...

nice pasta btw
>>
Took a quick glance at the earlier posts, didn't see it mentioned: Ryan Reynolds is a more well known actor than anyone in Apocalypse aside from MAYBE JLaw. You couldn't tell it was Poe Dameron under Apocalypses makeup either. Deadpool had a much bigger draw to it than Apocalypse.
>>
>>84214292
This.
>>
>>84217151
Dazzler would have been great in DOFP.

Mutant powered by loud disco music.
>>
>>84219698
Go away, Fox Emplyee. Tell your bosses to stop raping the X-Men franchise and give it back to Marvel.
>>
>>84210047
>why do X-men films keep dying
1. They get young actors and actresses that need to take acting classes and watch classic movies to better understand how to act.
2. They are constantly making origin movies
3. Overuse of Wolverine and other over-popular characters
4. Co-dependent on using the words Fuck in PG-13 rated movies.
5. They try way too hard to be edgy, but lose all the class they had in the original X-men movies (specifically the first X-men movie)
>>
File: 1349209311137.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1349209311137.gif
2 MB, 320x240
Apocalypse felt more like a rushed tv show than anything else, it's could have been good, but jesus christ the villain was shit
>>
>>84210047

DeadPool gimmick will die.
Even if the sequel is a competent rendition, the novelty has gone (say goodbye to it).
>>
>>84210047
Because not enough Wolverine and Bryan Singer sucks.
>>
The movie was good.

The marketing team has only themselves to blame, or budget they had.
>>
>>84210047
Because Bryan Singer is a shit director who has a complete lack of understanding for the X-Men. Fucker couldn't write an ensemble to save his life. He keeps repeating the same conversation over and over again, barely gives two shits about his own continuity, and decided that it was "too difficult" to faithfully adapt the comic-accurate suits despite the fact that Marvel has been doing that for almost 10 fucking years now. When he finally gave it a shot, he (or should I say his team) even managed to fuck that up. The only good X-Men movies were First Class and Deadpool, both of which had different directors going different directions. And for fucks sake Singer, Cyclops is the leader of the X-Men, so stop shoving him in a corner because you have such a fucking hard on for Wolverine.
>>
>>84210047
why /co/ likes shitty mcu and disliked good x-men?
>>
>>84217339
bullshit. they were already grim around lee / kirby era, filthy casual
>>
>>84214292
why people are spamming with this shit

>>84217291
>>84224684
samefag
>>
>>84228718
>The movie was good.
If your benchmark for good is "series of special effects sequences with a paper-thin storyline" then yes, this was a good movie. But even by that standard it wasn't a great movie because its effects weren't all that good, and in several scenes the bluescreening was just awful.
>>
>>84217409
lol, mcucks in a nutshell

I can insult you for free
>>
>>84219930
>triggered
>>
>>84213993
Cap and Tony had about the same amount of lines. Give or take literally like 2 lines
>>
>>84228898
>"series of special effects sequences with a paper-thin storyline"
you just described every marvel movie
wow
>>
>>84228923
>he's criticizing an X-Men movie, he must be a Marvel shill!
>>
>>84228923
Eh, not all of them. That's definitely both Avengers movies, though.
>>
>>84213413
compared to Mystique being a founding member of the x-men..
>>
>>84228957
At this point the only things Mystique has in common with her comic counterpart are being blue and shapeshifting... neither of which she even does much anymore. She morphed what, twice in Apocalypse? Including that stupid scene where she pretends to be Psylocke and Apocalypse falls for it and then it doesn't matter anyway because she can't do shit to him.
>>
Because outside X2 being great the entire franchise has been good too really shit, with most of its movies being fairly mediocre.
>>
>>84229039
As it was, Mystique didn't have that much in common with her 616 self to begin with, but they were at least both villains and both used deception as their MO. Now the character's gone completely off the rails. She's a bow and arrow away from being Katniss.
>>
>>84229039
My point is the X-men franchise consistently takes shit on their source material. Deadpool actually seemed like they gave a fuck about the source material
>>
>>84228898
Nah son, you can't deny it was a good fun movie.

Not that great but I don't know what you expected. I pretty much got what I wanted out of it.
>>
>>84210047
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0A-NntFU4

Producer meddling. Tom Rothman and others.
>>
>>84229039
Maybe she actualy isn't Mystique. Maybe she will change it to Copycat
>>
File: PicsArt_06-30-01.02.43.jpg (426 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_06-30-01.02.43.jpg
426 KB, 1536x2048
I'm just surprised at the lack of branching out X-men has had after the Avengers movies. We could be getting soooo many movies from the never hitting the same cast twice

>X-men
>New X-men
>X-Factor
>Six-pack
>Excalibur
>X-Force
>Mutant Academy
>Brotherhood

Look at that list Fox should be killing the MCU with their barely known superheroes. X-men was the biggest franchise in comics next to Spiderman and they lost their place to the Avengers. Fucking no one liked the Avengers over the X-men before the 90s and Fox has ran them into the ground with their incompetence.
>>
>>84229093
Didn't hurt that Ryan Reynolds is the most perfect actor in all existence to play deadpool backed the movie for years
>>
>>84229791
And they have the fantastic four why hasn't storm been in the FF yet
>>
>>84219930
>you aren't allowed to dislike a terrible movie
>>
>>84216921
I also have gotten wanted to see the original thread
>>
>>84210299
Fuck you wolverine is the best and always will be
If you ask me he doesn't have enough time
Watched every movie for my favorite superhero
Yeah he's my favorite I didn't abandon him like every other faggot did
Fuck marvel for replacing him with cartoon clone girl
And origins was fantastic
Fuck your gambits and deadpool they could have made them all black and I wouldn't care as long as it's wolverine in the center it can bastardize anything else
>>
>>84211701
And that's exactly why they should be in a seperate universe the differing attitudes are retarded
>>
File: 1445099616607.jpg (214 KB, 714x596) Image search: [Google]
1445099616607.jpg
214 KB, 714x596
Not enough quips.
>>
>>84214292
This pretty much OP >>84210047
>>
File: a.png (65 KB, 933x572) Image search: [Google]
a.png
65 KB, 933x572
>X-Men movies are now dying because more people paid to see Deadpool than a X-men movie

I'm not sure what this logic is supposed to prove. It's not like X-Men has been slowly making less money with their films. On the contrary they are generally making more these days with their most financially successful film being released in 2014. Even bombs like Wolverine are making a lot more than most of their older films.

Also Deadpool selling better than current X-Men says absolutely nothing about the state of X-Men. Why? Because X-Men never sold better than Deadpool did. Once again their most succesful movie was Days of Future Past, which came out 2 years ago and Deadpool topped that.

tl;dr OP never even bothered to check and see X-Men was never more successful than Deadpool at the box office. X-Men is more popular now than when the first movie came out

Sidenote: Deadpool and X-men go together more so than compete with eachother. One of the draws for many people seeing Deadpool was it had X-men
>>
>>84233374
While I agree with you this current "worry" about X-men movie relevancy is ridiculous, you should note that just because it makes more money, it doesn't mean profit.

For example, did you know MoS literally made WB more money than BvS? You've got to factor in way more things than just straight up box office.
>>
>>84228936
well, yeah, you are a marvel shill, samefag
>>
>>84233374
you are a gentleman and a scholar.
the thing is, op is a marvel intern, and will make this thread every day, because he thinks that X-Men will magically go back to marlel
>>
>>84234591
I don't understand why, "fans" are worried about profit. You either like the movie, or you don't. Leave the worries about profits to people who made the movie. Unless you are a shill
>>
>>84210462
It's mango ice cream color.
>>
>>84210047
Capeshit movies are losing their luster.

People are getting tired of them and want something new from Hollywood Blockbusters.
>>
>>84235608
Ant-Man, Captain America Civil War and Deadpool were all loved by critics and audiences. And Jessica Jones and Daredevil are popular.

So no, it's not that people are tired of cape movies.

People just have higher standards for cape movies.

Maybe you should try making a GOOD cape movie next time, Singer/Snyder.

*slaps face*

And please think before you say something stupid, hmmmkay?
>>
>>84210462
He's black.
>>
>>84210047
Because Deadpool is an actual popular character (and the fact that Fox just now realized this is sad).

People would love to watch X-Men movies. But Fox only makes Prof X and Magneto movies (and sometimes Wolverine movies).

>We will never have a Doop movie
>>
>>84211869
He didn't start as a parody, that came later. He was a pretty serious character in the beginning. You dolt.
>>
>>84210075
This. When they did the reboot with First Class, most people were pretty happy. It was a solid movie, with good casting and good actors. Great action, good SFX. 8.5/10. Days of Future Past was also really cool, great SFX, but didn't really push the main story. I thought it was just intended to be a well done filler movie. And although I haven't seen Apocalypse yet I feel like it's going to be the same as Days of Future Past (and friends who have seen it confirm my suspicions) At this point they have basically killed a lot of their hype from First Class.
>>
>>84214292
Moviebob is actually right this time
>>
>>84211010
>Ignoring the fact that TDKR was still critically well-received,

>In reaction to fan backlash to some of the negative reviews, Rotten Tomatoes chose to disable user commentary for the film leading up to its release.[204] Some fans had threatened violence against critics while others threatened to take down the websites of movie critics who had given the film a negative review.[205]

This from a movie which had a very early and heavy "viral" push.

> you don't just dump someone with such a curriculum for stumbling once

You do if he's only ever made Batman movies. If he hadn't squeezed out Inception a few years before he'd be relegated to the kind of low-budget arthouse crap he worked on before.

Hell, if he'd made TDKR the exact same way and released at the same time but it had only made $400m, he'd be sitting at home wondering why nobody calls any more.
>>
>>84234817
This is probably the one phenomenon I don't understand, even when I take part in it.

A lot of Zootopia fans on /co/, for example, were pretty psyched to see the film top or equal 1 billion in box office sales worldwide. Specifically, they wanted it to top Frozen. The things is that Disney was behind not only both Frozen and Zootopia, but also Avengers and Jungle Book, all four of which have performed well at the box office. It makes no sense to feel any sort of pride about one over the other, especially when as a fan I'm not partaking in any of that money.

The same thing holds with Deadpool and X-Men. It feels like a false equivalence to say that since Deadpool (itself branded as part of the X-Men universe) does better than X-Men, the X-Men franchise is now in decline.
>>
People are gay
>>
>>84210643
And two of the X-films are good. 2, FC
fixd
>>
>>84210075

These movies are shit because Wolverine is a fucking faggot that hogs all the screen time
>>
>>84213734

the other characters aren't garbage, FOX are just retarded like you

the general audience used to think Captain America was cheesy until the recent movies and Iron Man and Thor were C list characters, but Marvel aren't retarded like FOX and actually give them things to do in their movies

>let's have wolverine do everything by himself and cyclops and storm twiddle thier fingers for 2 hours
>>
>>84210462
>colour

can you please brexit from this thread?
>>
>>84229959
My guess is FF isn't allow to crossover with X-men due to whatever contract Fox used to get them.

Otherwise I picture FF would have a lot of X-men references and the movies themselves would just be X-men flicks with token FF in the background.
>>
>>84239094
>>84236454
THIS
H
I
S
>>
>>84239134
I'm not british, but they taught me english in school, not american
>>
>>84239876
Did they also teach you that American is a language?
>>
>>84237061
It's not that hard to understand, actually. Many people, while most still like it, think of Frozen as an overrated movie, fans were exited to see Zootopia beat it because that would've been a testament to the latter's quality over the former. Also an high success means higher chances to get a sequel.

It's more or less the same with Deadpool. Sure, it's still part of FoX-men (although not really a lot, Reynolds himself said it's more of his own thing and we shouldn't even try to place it in a timeline), but fans care about the challenge between the movies because they wish in the future they could see more stuff like Deadpool rather than more stuff like Apocalypse
>>
>>84239982
Did you skip the sarcasm classes? baka
>>
>>84214292
>Movieblob

fuck off
>>
>>84210462
It's Goldenrod, right?
>>
Fuck you all, I've been waiting since DoFP for a Sinister movie and I had to suffer through Apocalypse to get it.

Don't convince them not to make it ;_;
>>
>>84228894

Because it's true.
Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.