[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New616
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: Mcnivencivilwar.jpg (107 KB, 324x492) Image search: [Google]
Mcnivencivilwar.jpg
107 KB, 324x492
With all the rewrites. Revivals and deaths. Retcons and ruined characters
Do you think the marvel universe needs a new52 style reboot
>>
>>84097104
They already have. It was called the Ultimate Universe and they ran that into the ground too.
>>
>>84097115
Given last year's relaunch.
>>
Yes. Send those shitty mutants away from 616. We already have Inhumans as powered minority so X-Men are irrelevant.
>>
Marvel doesn't reboot, they just ignore whatever they want. It's not an exaggeration to say that over 99% of Marvel history might as well have not happened at this point.

DC rebooted because continuity is a lot more important to their stories.

>>84097121
That's not a reboot, that's an entirely separate universe.
>>
>>84097104
they just did one last year, Marvel was just too lazy to actually rewrite new backstories for anyone and are just going to let new stories contradict old ones when continuity errors pop up.
>>
>>84097104
They should have a new reboot every ten years. They have no use for continuity anyways as they always ignore it. I can't understand why they don't just reboot and start with a Young Parker, Civil War less Iron Man, no X-Men... Why torture themselves with something they clearly don't want.
>>
File: jv7sGcME.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
jv7sGcME.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
Id rather have marvel keep their integrity than reboot every year like DC
>>
>>84099510
Marvel's continuity is just too heavy to be reboot-shy.
Its fine for something like Savage Dragon or Sonic or whatever to run for decades without a full reboot because that's just one series worth of continuity, but with hundreds if not thousands of series' continuity built up, Marvel's canon is kind of unwieldy.

Personally I think they should run things the way Image runs their superhero books and have each character have their own continuity with versions of all the other characters. Like how Invincible can meet Spawn, but that doesn't mean all of Spawn's adventures are canon in Invincible's universe.
>>
>>84099510
>Marvel
>Having integrity
Kek.
>>
Marvel wants to keep certain characters like the X-Men and the Fantastic Four ruined until they get the rights back. Until then, don't expect a true reboot with everybody coming back.
>>
>>84097196
>they just did one last year
No they didn't. A relaunch and timeskip is not a reboot. DC's OYL was not a reboot. Rebirth is not a reboot. Likewise, ANAD is not a reboot.
>>
>>84097104
Nah, they ruin it like they did with the Ultimate universe.

All we need to do to improve Marvel is get rid of Perlmutter and his goons.
>>
>>84097104
When do reboots actually work? They always bring back all the old stuff they rebooted out.

It really is just better ignoring history rather than trying to get rid of it, because it just confused everyone.
>>
Who's the guy with the white mask behind atlas?
>>
File: group-shot-e1414773027551.jpg (166 KB, 650x414) Image search: [Google]
group-shot-e1414773027551.jpg
166 KB, 650x414
>>84097104
I do like a good character group picture. Do they all have to look so fucking miserable though?
>>
>>84101521
Looks like a member of Alpha Flight, Guardian I think
>>
>>84101548
Upper left corner has a lot of reasons to be miserable.
>>
>>84101652
Puck? Why, did he die or something?
>>
>>84101749
I was talking more about the Stamford bbq crew
>>
>>84097104
Yes. Marvel's a cluster-fuck of idiocy right now with no cohesiveness to it. They are desperately in need of forming some order, or they'll die. The majority of Marvel's income is from it's movies after all, and I think we can agree that most current fans of Marvel don't read the comics.
>>
>>84101521
>>84101629
Vindicator?
>>
>>84102129
Rebooting and giving Bendis his own parallel universe where he has no say on 616 continuity would solve a lot of problems
>>
>>84102199
I never said anything about Bendis. Get REAL writers.

Bendis used to be decent at writing, I think, but I have no idea what the fuck happened.
>>
Reboots solve nothing. Furthermore, for what purpose, the decades-long mess of Marvel, with long forgotten characters showing up suddenly, is one of its few charms.
>>
>>84102230

He's been shoved into books he probably doesn't want to write. He goes to far with post-modern meta writing crap, and that's why he's gotten shitty.
>>
>>84101286
>get rid of Perlmutter
Haha good fucking luck. He's the third highest share holder of Disney after Bob Iger and George Lucas. The only person in a position to do that is Bob Iger, and that's never going to happen.

Perlmutter will remain president of Marvel unless he dies or replaces Iger as CEO of Disney.
>>
>>84102077
Oh right I'm with you. I had pretty much forgotten about that, just like Marvel's writers
>>
>>84102230
He got lazy, was put on a bunch of books that don't play to his strengths, and writes like 6 fucking books at once.

If he was restricted to like one MAX street level superhero noir comic and then one solo teen hero ongoing then everything would be golden.
>>
>>84099510
They have a company-wide event and relaunch at least once a year.
>>
>>84097181
Motherfucker. It was a basically a reboot. You can argue semantics all day everyday but if Marvel had cancelled everything 616 the day the Ultimate line was launched, you would've had the Ultimate line exactly as it turned out.
...Except maybe it've lasted a bit longer.
>>
>>84097104
I'd finally stop reading desu
Then again we now know it's NEVER EVER going to happen, since they had it perfectly set up at Secret Wars and still didn't.
>>
Ultimately Marvels problems are the same as DC's too many book and not enough quality writers.

If they cut by their titles by a third.
Banned their writers and editors from working on more than 3 or 4 books at a time.
Upped the page rate to attract writers from outside comics they might stand a chance of turning things around.
>>
>>84097104
Doom Secret Wars was a wasted opportunity
>>
>>84102988
Is this a meme or something. I've seen this being repeated since past couple of year. IT's also wrong considering DC has less books than Marvel and more quality writers as of now.
>>
>>84103074
DC certainly seem to be making more progress in that direction they've still got a ways to go though
>>
>>84102245
>Reboots solve nothing.
I would actually argue that they only exaccerbate all the problems already present.
If you suck at writing compelling plots and your world building is complete shit, the last thing you should do is try to world build and plot everything from scratch again.

How people can think that Brian Bendis and all the boring literally whos around him can build a good universe from scratch all on their own again is completely beyond me. Even if Ewing actually did stick around for longer and tryed to fix all their clusterfucks from the side-lines.

Marvel has many reasons for being shit right now. Continuity is not one of them. Continuity is just a tool that can serve the writer. It doesn't take hostages.
Especially with the state of Marvel's current """editorial"""
>>
No, fuck off you autist. Besides, Ewing already made the sliding time shit work so there's an in-universe explanation for ignoring past events.
>>
>>84102326
>Bendis
>Meta
What in the fuck are you even speaking of

Besides, Ewing and Morrison are the best cape writers right now, and they both get meta as fuck.
>>
They should reboot the Marvel universe every year.
>>
>>84102975
>hey we're totally gonna smooth out the timeline
>gonna make a lot of things make more sense now, take a bit of the ridiculous parts out and streamline some stuff to go forward from there
>Lol, just kidding, we're gonna bring Miles and Maker to 616 and call it a day. Then we're gonna use it as an easy excuse to be extra lazy on all upcomming stories because things don't have to make sense with each other anymore, because who even cares anymore. Oh also Cyclops died off-screen or something. Did we mention Cap is Hydra now? Please buy our books.
>>
>>84104308
What the fuck are you even talking about? Can you point to some systemic lack of internal continuity with the comics right now?

How do you not understand characters being missing?

How do you not understand what literally everybody does about Hydra Cap, that's it's Xavier-grafted Red Skull fucking with his memories?

How is your shit so fucked at literally every level?
>>
>>84097104
Both the big two need to kill the cancer that is continuity.

The solution to all the shit is to hire good writers to write a run with a beginning and an end. Then when they're done another person can write a book and say that it's in continuity with whatever books they want it to be. If they fuck up and do something stupid the next writer in line doesn't have to play doctor with the story line. They can just ignore it and do their own thing.

In other words treat each writer as their own universe. Push the writers over the characters.

The only one who seems to be moving in this direction is Morrison with his "all comics are real" multiverse over in DC.

>>84104411
Not that guy, but the problem is future writers have to deal with retarded shit like Hydra Cap and AK AK Red Skull.

How about whatever was whispered in Thor's ear to make him unworthy? You really want to be the writer that has to handle that shit?

Marvel "continuity" has been fucked for a long time. Care to explain why Tony isn't in jail for war crimes because of Civil War? How about when Civil War II ends? Why was Namor the only one to take the fall for fucking up other Earths during Hickman Avengers?

Just because Bendis wants to shit the bed with events doesn't mean other writers have to suffer. That's all continuity is anymore. It forces good writers to work with the shit bad writers crap out.
>>
>>84104567
>"That's all continuity is anymore. It forces good writers to work with the shit bad writers crap out."

That's literally a Bendis quote.

>doesn't mean other writers have to suffer

They don't, though. The best writer, Ewing, makes a fucking game of dancing around stupid continuity, and it's rad.

And the best part is, it's fucking comic books, you can literally just use the parts you like and not the rest. You can complain if writers aren't clear with what's up, but how could anyone possibly make the argument that having total continuity as a toolbox is a bad thing?
>>
>>84104567
It's how they messed the ultimate universe. Morrison seems to use some kind of continuity. Writers developing a plot using past continuity and using some sort of reference from a character's 75 years of existence is great.
>>
>>84102135
It's Guardian
>>
>>84097104

son that's what makes it so fun
>>
>>84104665
>Bendis Quote
Did not know that. Still doesn't mean its wrong.

>Ewing makes a game of dancing around stupid continuity

I agree he is great. I like Life Bringer Galactus. Imagine if he didn't have to dance around shit and could fully do whatever he wanted though.

Life Bringer Galactus is a tragedy because you know he's going to become mean and purple again. But imagine if that wasn't the case? Imagine if you gave Ewing total freedom?

>total continuity as a toolbox
As a toolbox yes its good. As an OPTION. That's what I meant with my writer plan. Writers would be expected to craft runs that stand on their own, that are complete and whole. If they wanted to use the continuity an setting of another book they'd be free to do so.
>>
>>84104888
I think that tends to be how it works, though. The good writers make up what they need, excavate some stuff they like, and ignore the rest.

Bad writers don't, but they're bad anyway, so who cares?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.