[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how is that indie cartoonist/comic artist/animator life going /co/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 17
File: Cartoonist Anatomy.png (128 KB, 900x757) Image search: [Google]
Cartoonist Anatomy.png
128 KB, 900x757
So how is that indie cartoonist/comic artist/animator life going /co/?
>>
Pretty fucking awful.
>>
>>83948396
I am in twenty-fifth chapter of my script since March, but the idiot responsable for the art is "too depressed to work". He didn't even started the first page

I got contacts, I found a damn publisher interested, and the bastard don't want to start his dream, since his girlfriend broke up with him 4 months ago. Sometimes i just want to kick him out
>>
>>83948495
>Sometimes i just want to kick him out

Then why don't you?
>>
>>83948478
Why?
>>
>>83948396
Pretty decent, really. Got two new minis thumbed out that I want have out by sometime in fall. Just gotta fit it in with freelance stuff and I'll be good.

Just got some new pages to ink from my editors, oh boy

>>83948478
Sorry, man. Keep it up!

>>83948495
If he's not working on the art after a significant amount of time, you should probably let him off. That sucks, though.
>>
>>83948518
Bastard got talent, everyone liked the first sketches of the characters. I can not promote it without his image at this point, and he already is kinda popular in my country. I will not post his art here for privacy reasons.

Oh! And he is my friend
>>
>>83948607
Oh no. That's even worse. I'm sorry, I hope that it works out for you guys!
>>
>>83948597
>If he's not working on the art after a significant amount of time, you should probably let him off. That sucks, though.

Thanks, but I'm trapped with this
>>
Just submitted my application for my uni's animation program, so I guess we'll fucking see.
>>
>>83948767
Good luck anon, you will need it
>>
>>83948767
Break a leg, anon!
>>
File: tumblr_nw7dt4tz831som6aeo2_540.jpg (136 KB, 540x726) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nw7dt4tz831som6aeo2_540.jpg
136 KB, 540x726
>>83948495
>I am in twenty-fifth chapter of my script since March, but the idiot responsable for the art is "too depressed to work". He didn't even started the first page
>I got contacts, I found a damn publisher interested, and the bastard don't want to start his dream, since his girlfriend broke up with him 4 months ago. Sometimes i just want to kick him out

Not gonna lie: I've collabed with people like this many times, and it's never been as worthwhile as just paying a reliable professional. If you're just in it for his following, see if you can push him down to a more supportive role like concept artist or colorist.
>>
>>83948867
That's in fact a great idea, thanks anon
>>
>>83948396
Pretty good. Paying all my bills, can still afford to buy myself some nice things and put money into savings.
>>
>>83948946
What's your projects?
>>
>>83948946
I do freelance illustration for most of my money, and my webcomic makes me some pocket change through patreon. Also working on a video game that should have a beta out late this year.
>>
>>83948396
Waiting for my new work to be published in a fanzine this august, really excited
>>
>>83948396
I always wondered if parents of famous cartoonists/animators are rather proud or ashamed of their sons career choice
>>
I created two squid-men characters inspired by Mindflayers and I'm thinking of making a script and making a comic book out of it someday

Of course first I have to learn how to do basic coloring since I only go for black and white and get past the fact my art is not very good
>>
I am too shy/I do not know how to have a social page for promotion, so I did not even friends or contacts with others in the industry for advice/criticism or others.

The only time I sent a proposal I was answered by a standard copy pasted text (Maybe we will contact you in the coming years).
I would have preferred a no with suggestions / criticism.

The comic I'm doing now I do 20 pages of 64 but I'm always readjusting the art of the old, I am too perfectionist, and I will have to do it again in the future, before I can send as a submission. Then I will send when it is finished all when it would be enought the first few pages as submission.
>>
File: Blake2.jpg (978 KB, 3300x2550) Image search: [Google]
Blake2.jpg
978 KB, 3300x2550
>>83948396
Any tips for screenwriting a 22-minutes episode animated series?

I've tried using the Blake Snyder formula but it is better suited for full-length feature
>>
File: 1422178021966.gif (143 KB, 500x402) Image search: [Google]
1422178021966.gif
143 KB, 500x402
>>83948396
I wanna get that comfy life, but I'm nearly 23 and am unsure how to start.

Also, I hate to be that guy, and I know you wanna protect your privacy, but I genuinely am curious to see your guises work, if you've managed to "make it".
>>
>>83949679
What's your skill level and have you worked freelance before? You can start pretty much any time, really, if you make good work. If you've never picked up a pencil in your life you'll probably have a bit of a bad time, though.

I started doing freelance a little before I dropped out of college at 19. I'm 22 now and I live off freelance for a few different companies, indie and mainstream. It can be difficult at times since some companies don't like to pay you on time, but working from home and being able to draw all the time is pretty fun.
>>
>>83948767
good luck with that debt
>>
lets say animation stops being outsourced to Japan and Korea
would you take a minimum wage job as an animator?
>>
>>83949734
I have not worked in freelance before. I used to draw everyday, but dropped it in order to "get a real job", but since art's the only thing that gives me life, the idea of struggling to get by doesn't sound so bad if I'm doing art. My main problem, I think, is that even though I stopped drawing, I would still watch speed draws and Picarto streams from time to time, so I see every flaw in my drawings and don't like them like I used to. So now, when I have time, I mostly focus on getting good by practicing figure drawing.
>>
>>83949916
That's good. Studying always really helps when you're in a rut.
>>
>>83948495
How do you get publishers interested with only a script? Trying to break in myself and in a not-dissimilar position of being too impatient for my artist.
>>
>>83949841
When shows are $1 million per episode and they are no bloated pay checks wages will not be minimum wage, they be much more closer to $25 dollars a hour.

Heck Voltron Legendary Defender is only $40,000-$90,000 a episode, at $1 million not only that the animation will sty in the US but it will be 40s quality to boot with NO FLASH/TWEENING.
>>
>>83950014
>>83949841
If this were the case, then yeah, I'd do it.
>>
>>83950026
In short, bring back Tex Avery & Bob Clampett.

TMS did it, why can't we?
>>
>>83949679
>Also, I hate to be that guy, and I know you wanna protect your privacy, but I genuinely am curious to see your guises work, if you've managed to "make it".

A lot of artists are at the point where if we say our name it suddenly becomes a thread about us. It's not a privacy thing so much as not wanting to turn this into a circlejerk.

Post your Skype or something and I'll sate curiosity though.
>>
File: tumblr_m25s9paA8Q1roamg8o1_500.jpg (77 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m25s9paA8Q1roamg8o1_500.jpg
77 KB, 500x385
>>83950444
>tfw I wanna know who people are too but if I post any contact information people would automatically know who I am

Being a working artist is suffering
>>
>>83950444
Fuck it.
The Badoe
>>
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 650x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 650x750
>tfw you see things you work on posted about on /co/ sometimes
>>
>>83948396

Rough.

Work's dried up. Been corresponding with a studio that does stage designs, and they seemed somewhat interested in my work, but... stage designs are not my business. I have no idea if I'm even qualified for the position.

Guess that's up to them to decide.
>>
>>83949240

Generally parents are happy if their children are successful and prosperous, regardless of profession. Those that aren't are psychos.
>>
>Draw since I was 5
>Got to 25 and kept seeing flaws in my art, comparing it to other people's progress (generally younger), lost passion for it, became a chore
>4 years later, in a shitty job, never draw anymore, no passion in life. Sometimes get 'inspired', but too afraid to pick up a pencil and start again because I realized I was always shit.

Not great.
>>
>>83948396
writer* fine I guess. Actually gonna audition for a part in a movie based on my favorite recent book series, maybe I'll get to leave the writing life behind.
>>
>>83950904
Good luck, anon, don't forget about the little people.

>>83950856
Afaik design work for theatre companies pays fairly well.
>>
>>83948396
Nigga, I got a career making real money. I draw comics ________for fun_______
>>
>>83950888
I believe in you, anon.
>>
>>83948396
Terrible.

Graduated in 2012 and haven't landed a job yet.

If I was such a shit artist, why did no one wait to tell me until I went into the real world? Now I'm a fucking cashier.
>>
>>83951445
Your teachers never told you how to improve?
>>
>>83949841
Oh hell yeah. I already earn min wage anyway. Might as well do something interesting that doesn't involve me interacting with the fucking public.
>>
>>83951472
I guess not.

At my uni, teachers were more concerned about pushing kids through the courses instead of investing time and nurturing talent.

Of course, I didn't realize this until I talked to a couple of classmates after the fact. We're all pretty mad.
>>
>>83951495
Holy hell thats unfortunate. Sorry about that, anon.
>>
>>83951445
Same, though I have 2 years on you. It doesn't help that I had people constantly telling me I was good, and that included people who were actually talented as fuck and making a living off it.
>>
>>83951514
Yeah. It sucks.

I'm working on putting something together to start a webcomic series just to keep from offing myself. Maybe once I establish it, I can get commission work and eventually get out of this min-wage rat-race. I just don't have a lot of freetime.
>>
File: PSX_20160530_094947.jpg (299 KB, 1038x901) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20160530_094947.jpg
299 KB, 1038x901
>>83950888
>also draw since early childhood
>mother pushes hardcore for me to go to this magnet art high school because I'm a skinny white kid going to the shittiest ghetto school in the county otherwise
>get learned up real good, skills are at least on par with some art school alums
>graduate
>pick up pencil
>put it down again
>realize that four years of working on art has made it feel like work
>can only really get into drawing when I'm bored and have nothing else to do
>manage to draw just enough to stay rusty at best
>terrified of losing this skill due to some psychological hangup
>>
>>83948396
Things are shaping up well enough at the moment. I've worked at some studios doing one-off jobs, but I always hated my work and decided to take some time away from it all to work on my skills. I've gained a lot since then and it was worth it, only need a little while longer before I can get back into the race.
>>
You cunts all made the same mistake; making your passion your job. It so rarely works. You should have gotten a career in something you're competent at and keep that art for yourself. You try to make money off what you love and it gets harder to keep loving that thing in the same way and to the same degree.
>>
After months of gathering a following and building a small niche for myself I am deciding that I should do a few commissions, and from there, when I have gathered enough money, invest it in a small business.
>>
>>83951592
Shut the fuck up, ya nasty bitch.
>>
>>83951592
>You cunts all made the same mistake
And yet no one told us not to fucking do it. We all probably had parents who were so fucking amazed that little Jimmy drew a pitcher. Wow he's so talented. He's going to be the best artist!!
>>
>>83951610
I know it hurts anon, I can see the pain in this thread. I don't know if it's too late for you, maybe you're young enough to change, get a viable career doing anything else and learn to love your art and your artmaking again.
Maybe not.
>>
>>83951641
It's one thing to give advice and quite another to be a condescending little shit. Fuck off, son.
>>
>>83951592
Jokes on you! I don't even like drawing. I just got into it as a job.
>>
>>83951641
>not knowing he replied to someone who has started a decent career in the comics industry

Whatever helps you sleep at night, anon. Being a big baby won't help you or anyone else here.
>>
>>83951592
To be fair, it's been constantly drilled into my head to 'do what you enjoy', and what I enjoyed was illustration. And when you've got artists, storyboarders, animators etc. who work at Disney, Cartoon Network and shit talking about how much they love their jobs on social media and shit, that just reinforces that notion.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (16 KB, 370x260) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
16 KB, 370x260
>>83951675
>>83951673
>>83951658
>>
>>83951677
>>83951622

Both very true. At least we live in a time where there are tons of available resources to help us get ourselves out there, teach ourselves to get better, join communities to help with critique, etc. It's not a complete pipe dream to be a good indie creator. Just takes time and work.
>>
>>83951709
Working on it. Like I said, not a lot of free-time.

I'm at a crossroads where I'm deciding whether or not it's beneficial to have friends or have time to work on establishing myself in the indie community because between this, chores, making food for myself, eating, and making sure I'm healthy, I don't have time for much more other than sleep.

I say as I'm wasting time on 4chan.
>>
>>83948495
You're a writer?
Then it's "He haven't even started on the first page"
Or "he didn't even start the first page yet"

Also, depression is utterly devastating, it's not "I'm a bit sad" it's "I don't care about anything at all" - if this goes on for more than a month, it's time to seek professional help.

Having said that, DO find another artist, and DO send him to a doctor.
>>
>>83948607
You need to get him laid desperately.
>>
>>83948396
When was this drawn? 15 years ago?
>>
>>83948495
Artists are bad people

Don't work with them
>>
>>83949630
What kind of series? Overarching plots, etc?
>>
>>83948396
Well I think my comic is good, but I've only got a few dozen followers. I've done no promotional work for it, so I think that's why. I admit my art needs lots of improvement, but that's always a given and a wip.
>>
>>83948607
Move in with him and start doing shitloads of drugs and really immersing yourself in the story. It'll provide a focus for his depression and afterwards, if you push him too far and he kills himself: Free Publicity!
>>
>>83948767
Get to know everybody who's interesting or talented, try not to sperg out or sleep with any of the girls unless you fall in love.

NETWORKING.
>>
going well- except that I seem to be losing vision in my left eye thanks to staring at screens all day.
>>
I'm trying to get back in the comics game but finding the time through the constant stream of real life responsibilities is hard. In two years I'll have enough professional experience to start breaking into the cartoon idustry, though, so I'm psyched for that.
>>
File: 20160123_231521.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160123_231521.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>83948396
Ive slowly began to show lack of intrest to this massive dream of mine and it has to do with me being a lazy sack of shit, its much easier getting personal projects done when i have someone to force me otherwise i do shit last minute and if making a comic or animated short has no due date its going to take.me forever

Anyway I recently came up with a graphic novel idea, about a luchador and another about an SCP like organization now i just need to better my drawing and write this shit then get some jews to publish it, i really wana do this, i dont wana do anything else but drawn and tell stories
>>
>>83949841
No id wana be the guy in charge, the ones that tell others what to draw and what the plot is

Also
>implying the west would resort to japans shitty employment levels
>>
>>83954921
Have you tried not being lazy
>>
Considering I have a day job, pretty well.
>>
>>83948396
Ive been trying to draw more, but with my depression, messy house where my drawing suplies get lost, and my sleepiness from antidepressants its hard.
>>
File: fidel castro.jpg (28 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
fidel castro.jpg
28 KB, 460x276
>>83948396

Pretty good. Although I'm just a writer, I have a crippling and constant lack of faith in my writing but I keep going.

The site is expanding and the numbers are growing.
>>
>>83948607
art is not about feeling, it is about discipline. get him to draw regardles of what it is, draw WITH him. Get in contact with his artfriends online and get them to draw with them.
he NEEDS to draw.
>>
>used to do illustration, animation, and graphic design for consulting company for 2 years, making $55/hr and getting regular work every week

>everything dries up in January
>need money, work at coffee shop near office
>months go by with barely any work
>I have no professional connections outside the company, and I have no following online
>also, 90% of my professional work is under NDA
>doing random design shit through freelance agency making okay pay
>applied for a bunch of jobs with barely any responses. Got a few people to look over my shit to make sure I'm not making a bad impression or anything

I'm doing okay financially, but juggling everything is cutting into my personal time and putting a strain on relationships with my friends/family/gf. If I stop the coffee shop job, I risk being out of work for a long time again, and I don't want to rely on the freelance agency or the other company that I still technically have a contract with.

Could be worse. Everyone I went to school with has office/retail jobs. Plus, I only have $5k left in my student loan. I wish that I could move out of my parents' place, but the city I'm in is one of the top 10 expensive cities in the US, and every neighboring city is jacking up rent prices like crazy.

/personalblog
>>
>>83948396
>Does entirely too much thinking about Balrogs and what Balrogs like and could you be friends with a Balrog
>mfw
>>
>>83957246
>Thinking deleting it is gonna delete the gif.
We have archives, anon.
>>
>>83957500
It was too small and blurry. I don't have the full size saved on my phone[/phone]
>>
>>83950923
Maybe but most of my work has been design for animation and concept art for live-action stuff. Not so much for stage and theatrical productions.

I'm not sure if my portfolio is even the kind of stuff they're looking for, but hey, they requested it from me, so maybe that's a good sign.

I'm currently doing concept art for a television pilot.

>>83951557

I'm going to tell you something that will be simultaneously encouraging and discouraging. I'm roommates with three other artists. Every single one of us studied animation in college, and it took every one of us nearly a decade to break into animation professionally.

So... don't think that you're either entitled *or* compelled to "make it" within the first couple of years after college.

>>83951592
Art *is* what I'm competent at. And I do treat it like a job.

I'm willing to trade the loss of a little passion for not having to work in a call center again.
>>
>>83953745
Yes, an adventure cartoon with overarching plot
>>
It hasn't even begun because the moment I put my pencil to the paper I'm filled with feelings of disgust and anger towards my own work that I just stop and stare at the blank page for days until forcing myself to try again.
>>
File: 1407866235729.png (5 KB, 281x256) Image search: [Google]
1407866235729.png
5 KB, 281x256
>>83948396
I earn the average salary of a USA Mcdonalds worker but that in my country is a fuckton of money, so yeah I'm pretty gud
>>
>>83948396
I spent thousands on an indie game that never made a profit and now I am deeply in debt. Also, it killed my relationship with my fiance and all my friends. I have nothing.

Wait, hold on, I found a piece of Cheeto under my chair. Pretty good.
>>
>>83948495
>I am in twenty-fifth chapter of my script since March, but the idiot responsable for the art is "too depressed to work". He didn't even started the first page
i hate to be the one to break it you, but...
>>
>>83948396
Sucky, but I developing a webcomic as means to promote myself and constantly have something to do (helps that the idea is pretty fun so I probably won't get bored of it)
>>
>>83948767
Good luck.
>>
File: 1457155512563.png (158 KB, 282x233) Image search: [Google]
1457155512563.png
158 KB, 282x233
Friend and I entered creatorsforcreators

We're gonna win it for you, /co/. Fight the good fight, not let tumblr win, all that good junk

keep your eyes wide
>>
>>83958229
kek

If you guys learn animation you can make big boy bucks on Youtube.
>>
>>83960007
Except YouTube's algorithm requires you to hit a sweetspot of uploads to retain views from your subscribers due to how it doles out updates on your subscription feed. That sweetspot is unrealistic for animators unless you're doing super crude shit.

Not only that, but the time and energy spent animating isn't worth whatever you make on YouTube unless you're doing commission work for a bigger channel or something.

It's just not practical.
>>
>>83960388
Tell that to Mike Inel. Guy makes baby bopper anime crap but he also gets millions of views per animation despite not having the subscriber base for it. He also makes 1.7KUSD a month.

That's pretty good for uploading as an animator.
>>
>>83960496
1.7K through Patreon, not his videos.
>>
>>83960592
Yeah, that would take a few years of work without getting much back.
>>
>>83961420
Sounds like lazy talk to me. Many animators get big by being creative and making interesting videos.

Can't handle it, don't animate.
>>
>>83962011
I wasn't saying it was impossible, just that you wouldn't start off with a lot of attention or money. It probably wouldn't come for a long time. That's the nature of growing as an online artist/content creator though.
>>
>>83962048
Of course. That's almost about anything when creating something for yourself. It often starts off new and empty. Just thought you were making excuses.
>>
File: 1453015788892.jpg (80 KB, 640x539) Image search: [Google]
1453015788892.jpg
80 KB, 640x539
Pretty bitchin'
I started a small business first and have finance to do anything i want for three years or so. Went back to school and learned the animation/traditional basics and about to take producer classes. Been writing and sketching some ideas out, down to two possible projects, i even made friend with some decent artists that can start drawing things out.
Overall, waiting was the greatest thing i could've done, i ain't struggling or drawing porn to make a living and even if my art stuff bombs i have a safety net
>>
>>83959838
>Friend and I entered creatorsforcreators
I want to, but the things I want to create have lots of sex appeal because that's what makes me happy, so seeing DeConnick and Gillen there makes me want to just not even try.
>>
>>83962390
>lots of sex appeal because that's what makes me happy
either join shadbase or quit that fucking attitude, you twat
>>
>>83948396
>fashion choices can best be summarized as "found this at the top of the clean pile"
>"I have given up" beard
>extra 30

Holy fuck this is so accurate to me right now. Only thing thats off, is that i dont like coffee
>>
>>83954434
I suppose i should also mention, Don't get your hopes up for finding a girl in the animation department.

They often tend to be the type who just don't sleep/date with anybody. Seriously it took my 3 years to realize that all of my female friends may actually be asexual, and thats why I couldnt snag a gf
>>
File: 1358755789777.png (18 KB, 336x309) Image search: [Google]
1358755789777.png
18 KB, 336x309
>>83962428
>either join shadbase or quit that fucking attitude, you twat
I don't care for those options.
Not to go weeb but I wish I could have the creative freedom to push stories with fanservice like grorious nippon.
>>
>>83962573
you do realize the only reason why dweeb shit has so much virgin fuel is because their entire culture is sexually frustrated, right? That's why it never works out for western "adult" media, right?
>>
>>83948396
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_DNpTMKXk
>>
>>83958345
Post a link to your game, maybe I could give you some tips.
>>
>>83948495
Hmm, I wouldn't mind working with you, is this basic webcomic level or professional? I mostly just want to get to get to grips with digital art programs and if your idea seems pretty innovative I'd consider giving it a shot.
>>
Pretty bad. I got evicted and am currently homeless so no pc to write muh comic scripts on. But I got a notes pad And use the pencils from the library. And I'm using life on the street as inspirational backdrop for a story combining homelessness, dimensional travel, and sorcery.
Still need a name for it....oh and residence. Need a residence too. But mostly a name for the story cos I suck at naming things.
>>
File: Bulbasaur was sent to your PC.jpg (33 KB, 383x455) Image search: [Google]
Bulbasaur was sent to your PC.jpg
33 KB, 383x455
>Want to make a silly webcomic on the side that updates once a week
>I work 9:30 hours mon-fri on night shift and have only 2 hours daily as free time
If I wasn't getting paid loads e mony I don't know if I'd go on
>>
>>83963934
Dem fishtits
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.