[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't more supers in the United States carry guns? Not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: frank.png (24 KB, 324x377) Image search: [Google]
frank.png
24 KB, 324x377
Why don't more supers in the United States carry guns? Not necessarily as a primary means of attack, but just in case they need one.
Obviously this doesn't apply to supers whose powersets can serve the same function as a gun, supers whose enemies wouldn't be hurt by bullets, and supers with no-killing-ever-period-not-even-to-save-millions codes. But even eliminating them, it's pretty rare.
>>
File: bugle-e1283148372666.jpg (45 KB, 318x315) Image search: [Google]
bugle-e1283148372666.jpg
45 KB, 318x315
>Spider-Man, Spider-Man
>does whatever a spider can
>spins a web, any size
>then he shoots the bad guys
>look out! He's got a fucking gun!
>>
Comics code in the old era, ultra leftists in the new era, soccer moms all the way through.

Look at a quick sample:

Nick Fury. WW2 era. The Shadow. Pulp era

Then in the late 80s, and EXTREME 90's, between the decline of the comics code and the rise of the modern SJWS, you have a bunch of gun using characters. Punisher, Cable, Deadpool. Hitman, Spawn.

Practicality doesn't really matter. Civillian defensive gun use in the comics is lighting strike rare. Alfred and the Kents come to mind, just barely.
>>
>>83916708
Punisher is 1970s, dumbass
>>
>>83918166
Even then his weapons hardly resembled actual guns.
>>
File: Phoenix2.jpg (3 MB, 4788x3200) Image search: [Google]
Phoenix2.jpg
3 MB, 4788x3200
Exactly! How can we expect heroes like Pheonix Jones to protect us correctly without a gun? The pepper spray does nothing #GivePheonixJonesAGun
>>
>>83916431
>Why don't more supers in the United States carry guns? Not necessarily as a primary means of attack, but just in case they need one.

Going by the amount of shit that new Green Lantern gets, I don't think it would go over very well.
>>
>>83918476
what!?
>>
>>83916651
kek
>>
File: sbdgle9qq8sxujwliftn.jpg (143 KB, 736x668) Image search: [Google]
sbdgle9qq8sxujwliftn.jpg
143 KB, 736x668
>>83919744
Name me what type of gun this is, because it's nothing that I've seen before.
>>
A Green Lantern tried and the internet made fun of him so hard DC retired him

Bucky carried a gun when he was Cap
>>
>>83919902
dude, it's obviously a badly drawn M-14
>>
>>83919930
>A Green Lantern tried and the internet made fun of him so hard DC retired him

I think people would have had less of a problem with it if he wasn't fucking waving it around all the time in the promotional art. If it was holstered that would be fine, but as is it's like

>I GOT A FUCKING GUN I'M GONNA FUCKING SHOOT YOU BANG BANG FUN GUN FUN
>>
>>83916431
wat
>>
>>83916431
because superheros without a kill code are extremely rare american or otherwise
>>
>>83920836
maybe have more of an even mix of drawn and holstered
>>
>>83918166
And in the 70's, he was only allowed to be a villain back then. Also, the comics code was fading then.

His ongoing, where he's used as a hero wasn't until the mid 80s. Like, Dark Knight returns, to put it in the timeline.

You're losing your shit too hard over that anon.

>>83919930
>>83920836
A big part of the problem is that his power set and design isn't exactly complimented by a gun. Hes got "the most powerful weapon in the universe" on his finger.

>>83923483
This is also a very important point.
>>
>>83920836
It would help if his mask didn't make him look like a robber. The racist jokes write themselves!
>>
Guns are evil
>>
>>83916431

Most of them don't want to kill anyone, and "just shooting people in the legs" is a turbo-meme.
>>
>>83919902
It's a concussion rifle with a stiff action
>>
>>83919902
M-14, US service gun at the start of Nam and currently still used by marksmen.
>>
>>83916431
Because street level heroes are dead and they're the only ones who would fucking need them, dumbass. And even then, half of them can't fucking use them, or it'd be worse than their power set.

>Daredevil with a minigun
>>
>>83924356
indeed
>>
>>83919930
Cap should always carry a gun. A WW2 vet with limited ranged attack ability would be carrying. Even if he just uses rubber bullets most of the time.
>>
>>83924371
>"just shooting people in the legs" is a turbo-meme.
to be fair half the stuff batman does should kill people to,
>>
>>83924510
Yeah, but it's easier for normies to ignore that than "shoot him in the legs" given how much the latter's been parodied by shit like Family Guy at this point.
>>
>>83924533
i loved when they addressed it in modern warfare
>>
>>83924116
>The character was a hit with readers and started to appear on a regular basis, teaming up with both Spider-Man and other heroes such as Captain America and Nightcrawler throughout the 1970s and early 1980s.[10][11][12] Conway said the Punisher's popularity took him by surprise, as he had intended him only as a second-tier character.[13] During his acclaimed run on Daredevil, writer and artist Frank Miller made use of the character, contrasting his attitudes and version of vigilante action to that of the more liberal character of Daredevil.[14]

Seems like you're trying pretty hard to paint him as a villain because you don't understand the concept of an antihero and you imagine that all currently popular characters were created with solo ongoings in mind. Frank Castle has never actually been used as a hero and as you can see was only ever a second-stringer intended to echo then-popular cultural fads like Dirty Harry (just as Luke Cage was an echo of Blaxploitation, and Danny Rand was basically ripped off from David Carradine).

Not knowing what an antihero is must make it difficult for you to understand a lot of X-Men comics from the mid-late 70s, Hulk, Iron Man, the Sub-Mariner...
>>
>>83924116
>A big part of the problem is that his power set and design isn't exactly complimented by a gun. Hes got "the most powerful weapon in the universe" on his finger.
It's potentially useful as backup if they pull the "hurr durr the villain pulls off your ring" shit that they pull whenever they want to job a lantern.
>>
>>83924371
>What is the femoral artery?
>>
>>83924575
Don't invent positions for me, especially if all you intend to do is to imagine my ignorance.

I was sloppy with the terminology, but I also didn't expect you to be so pedantic.

Antihero or no, there was a time that Punisher would have never gotten his own ongoing, specifically because of the comics code.

Cage in particular also represents a weakening of the code.

Whether this changed in the late 70's or early 80's isn't that important to my argument. As I noted it was a quick sample.

Or are you arguing that I just fucked up the start date, and that I should cite the 70s as when this takes place? You could have been clearer by simply citing some earlier examples of gun using heroes from that time.
>>
>>83916431
I'd like to see Karate Kid do some gun kata style shit if only for the comedy of seeing a melee based character dealing with an even somewhat realistic interpretation of gunfire
How many supers have died to gunfire? I mean a lot of bullets/lasers get shot around the place, something has to have stuck at some point randomly
>>
>>83924673
One or two of the watchmen. And some of the fuckers from The Boys.
>>
>>83924356
No, he needs to be wearing a hoodie while holding a bag of skittles and an Arizona tea
>>
>>83924612
But then they need to find some OTHER way to have the lantern job. And he should have it holstered most of the time.

>>83924388
I dare you to use that phrase in a /k/ thread.

>>83924504
It is my headcannon that he doesn't carry a gun because of posse cometaus. (Federal Army doesn't handle policing inside America), and would only carry a gun if the President declares war.
>>
>>83924650
That's why it's a meme.
>>
>>83920836
It's so dumb. He cab make 50 cals and bazookas with his will. It's like a dude in a tank popping the top to nail a far if target with a bow and arrow
>>
Would the Flash's guns be powered by Speed Force?
>>
>>83928566
You're memeing but actually that would work. Captain Boomerang II used speed force on his boomerangs.
>>
That webcomic grrl power does it, I dropped it a while ago so I'm not gonna post the page but basically supers are all military and as a deterrent sticking a gun in someone's face work better than pointing at them with a finger, even if the finger can shoot lasers far more powerful than the gun
>>
>>83924473
And also complete crap compared to other rifles.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.