[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Urban Fantasy is Dead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: won73.jpg (82 KB, 352x548) Image search: [Google]
won73.jpg
82 KB, 352x548
Superheroes are ostensibly a type of urban fantasy. Mundane setting, fantastical elements. But lately, it seems like this just isn't the case anymore. With the over-saturation of events, world breaking threats, and the noticeable phasing out of supporting casts, capes just don't do the slice of life thing anymore.

And frankly, that makes them less interesting.
>>
That's why you have street-level heroes. You don't read Fantastic Four, Superman, Avengers or Green Lantern to see them fight a random mook on the street or taking on a crimelord.
>>
>>83868952
>HURP DERP POWER LEVELS
Just because a character is powerful doesn't mean they should exclusively deal with cosmic level shit. There's no reason to limit the kinds of stories you can tell.

The FF often enough deal with the other residents of the Baxter Building, Superman is a journalist, the Avengers are all heroes who do street level stuff in their own books, and Green Lanterns are literally cops.
>>
>>83868680
They are primarily science fiction.
>>
>>83868952
Street level has been dead for at least ten years because the average capecuck finds it boring.
>>
>>83868680
Speak for yourself.
>>
>>83868680
That smile creeps me the fuck out
>>
>>83868680
>And frankly, that makes them less interesting.
I disagree
>>
This was the day I learned somebody actually likes supporting casts.

There are so many nightmares in this world.
>>
>>83868680
>and the noticeable phasing out of supporting casts

I fucking HATE this. Every superhero now just hangs out with other superheroes.
>>
>>83872100
Holy shit how could one anon have such shit taste
>>
>>83872100

>This was the day I learned somebody actually likes supporting casts.

As opposed to...?
>>
>>83872345
Top-selling Bendis comics prove that most comic plebs want to read stories where the supporting cast is mostly other heroes and a few token OCs.
>>
File: Taco Wondy.jpg (183 KB, 650x953) Image search: [Google]
Taco Wondy.jpg
183 KB, 650x953
>>83870993
Well, in fairness, Diana is ultimately a politician.

>>83872100
>>83872192
For me at least, it's something of an investment issue. Superheroes go around helping people, so shouldn't we actually get to know some of said people?

That, and logic dictates that the protagonists can't do absolutely everything. It's like in Star Trek where they'd always send the command staff on away missions.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.