[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you describe a mean-spirited show vs. a funny show
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: fam.jpg (90 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
fam.jpg
90 KB, 1200x675
How would you describe a mean-spirited show vs. a funny show about assholes? The only cartoon I can think of that fits mean-spirited is modern Family Guy, but people still use that term to describe stuff like Gumball or TTG.
>>
>>83785281
It doesn't really mean anything.
Basically just I don't find this show funny and it relies on lazy shock humor or the joke being "I'm a massive cunt"
>>
Is Bob's Burgers mean spirited? I mean it's funny but damn Bob just gets the shaft in life, just like reality
>>
>>83785281
The difference is how they are supposed to be viewed. BBT doesn't work because the characters are complete dicks, but the show attempts to manipulate scenarios so you feel bad for them or cheer for them. In ASIP, they acknowledge how awful the characters are, and don't expect you to do anything but laugh at their misery.
>>
>>83785281
>mean-spirited show vs. a funny show about assholes?

That's basically it. If all the assholes are funny, enjoyable to watch and well written, and the assholish-ness is kept in moderation, it's a funny show about assholes.

If it's not funny or clever, has a miserable tone and is just people being dicks to each other nonstop to the point where it starts to get uncomfortable, you have a mean-spirited show.

Bender and Strong Bad are examples of funny assholes. They're dicks, but they're both written in such a way that them being dicks is seen as endearing and mischievous. They never cross lines that would be considered unforgivable since the writers know people wouldn't root for them anymore afterwards.

Peter Griffin is an example of a mean-spirited asshole. He frequently gets away with destructive acts, physical and mental abuse, and murder with absolutely no remorse, and yet we're supposed to find him funny and lovable.
>>
>>83785500
what are these abbreviations
>>
>>83785664
Big Bang Theory

Always Sunny in Philadelphia
>>
>>83785664
>Big Bang Theory
>Always Sunny In Philadelphia
>>
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the prime example of a funny show about assholes.

I think that the clincher is, are there consequences? Because there's a difference between just being a grump and being a really malicious, destructive fiend, and if the latter is the case, are there consequences? Or is awful behavior the beginning, ending, and entirety of the joke?

It really like IASIP because the gang's prolonged exposure to each other has created a very toxic codependency on each other that has turned it into a show about a lobster bucket and it's really just as much a tragedy as it is a fucking great, grotesque comedy.
>>
>>83785406
Bob has too much of a theme of genuine familial love to be considered meanspirited.
I mean it's basically "my family are a bunch of freaks, but I love them" if it were Family Guy it'd probably be "my family are a bunch of freaks, I hate them so much but I've given up on life so whatever" and they'll say that. They won't be clever about it.
>>
>>83785613
>They never cross lines that would be considered unforgivable since the writers know people wouldn't root for them anymore afterwards.
Hasn't Bender sold off orphans before? And has done despicable things to children and animals in general? I feel like he has crossed the line many times.
>>
File: 1332230027421.jpg (43 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1332230027421.jpg
43 KB, 256x256
>>83785281

Mean spirited: The characters didn't deserve it

Show about assholes: The characters deserved it.

Simple explanation that defines both terms and does not describe either as good or bad.
>>
>>83786595
Probably missed those episodes. Doesn't he usually end up getting comeuppance when he does stuff like that?
>>
File: 1457046527284.png (221 KB, 588x441) Image search: [Google]
1457046527284.png
221 KB, 588x441
I think Seth got some sort of sexual thrill from being able to do this
>>
File: cap cover.jpg (2 MB, 3368x2292) Image search: [Google]
cap cover.jpg
2 MB, 3368x2292
>>83787636
She deserved it for being meanspirited
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ghj2waD-E
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.