[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is it that Aardman and Laika are able to make stop-motion/claymation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Shaun_the_Sheep_MoviePoster.jpg (47 KB, 300x445) Image search: [Google]
Shaun_the_Sheep_MoviePoster.jpg
47 KB, 300x445
How is it that Aardman and Laika are able to make stop-motion/claymation profitable, but traditional animation is considered financial suicide?
>>
Because casuals will mistake it for CGI
>>
Because the only people who say that are financial suits who know nothing of the audience their trying to sell too and see everyone around them as dollar signs.
>>
>>83527584
because traditional animation has been done forever, stop motion is a gimmick "oh that looks cool" as long as you get 1 movie every 6 years or so.
>>
File: earth-full_940_600x450.jpg (39 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
earth-full_940_600x450.jpg
39 KB, 600x450
Don't they actually use CG now? Although I guess it depends on which project

Anyway "common knowledge" falls apart once you get outside of the unique economic toilet bowl that is the American entertainment industry. That's why there is nudity on TV in Europe, action cartoons in Japan, and soap operas all over the goddamn place in Korea.
>>
>>83527584
>but traditional animation is considered financial suicide
In AMERICA. For now.
>>
>>83527682
>1 movie every 6 years or so.
Laika is an animation studio specifically made for stop-motion and they make them in a fairly consistent pace
>They'll go out of business eventually
If the fact that they're doing financially well isn't enough the owner who created the studio is the son of the current CEO of Nike.
>>83527750
The Turks make the best soaps though.
>>
>>83527584
Doesn't Laika have a blank check funding situation? I seem to remember that it's run by the son of the CEO of Nike or something and he does it all for the art while his dad indulges him with whatever funding he needs.
>>
>>83527817
>>83527880
>other rich trust fund faggots waste their money on drugs and fast cars while getting a nepotism position at their dad's companies
>this guy is focused on preserving stop-motion animation as an art form

Nike's CEO has to feel like the luckiest rich dad in the country.
>>
>>83528045
>Nike's CEO
>Hard boiled businessman who is mostly into sports and get's all his money from foreign children giving a shit about art
He probably doesn't particularly care either way but he really is doing a pretty cool thing with daddy's money and daddy is probably at least glad he's doing financially well and not constantly begging him for more.
>>
i think if you 3d print each frame of the movie you're kinda missing the point of stop motion
>>
>>83528144
It's probably more that his son is trying to DO something instead of mooching off the fortune and getting into trouble.
>>
>>83528327
Yeah he is. Sorry the first "he" I meant his dad but I used "he" again to refer to his son who most likely then not cares about the art form if he's wiling to put this much cash on the table.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.