[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel like the contrasts and comparisons between Batman and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
I feel like the contrasts and comparisons between Batman and Green Arrow could be written in a way that differentiates them from one another and allows for a more expansive understanding of their ideologies and methods as vigilantes, rather than just amounting to dumb jokes about how Green Arrow is a Batman knockoff.

We could see them reflect the extreme perceptions of their opposing ideals in one another when their personalities clash, with Batman being an authoritarian fascist who acts as an imperious strongman for the police and institutions of Law in Gotham, and Green Arrow acting as an anti authoritarian anarchist in Star City who is a perpetual source of inner instability and subversion of ideals and social structure in his city.

They wouldn't have to be enemies at each others throats even with their conflict of ideals either, they would simply gain a bew perspective of themselves through their interactions. I really feel like they could have a very meaningful and interesting friendship if written correctly.
>>
Somebody talk about the authoritarian and anti authoritarian ideals of Batman and Green Arrow.
>>
Desperate bump to stimulate conversation.
>>
>>83517456
So pretty much:

>Batman: cops are good
>Green arrow: cops are bad
>>
Sadly most team up issues with Bruce and Ollie end with him calling Bruce a facist and then Bruce shitting on Ollie for ripping him off.

Hopefully Percy and/or King are willing to take it a little deeper one day and do something similar to GL/GA.

Also they need to have a dad off
>>
>>83518965
If that's how you want to understand it, yes that's what I'm getting at in essence. Batman is aligned with the ideal of society having authority figures such as law enforcement officers, himself an idealist who became Batman in part to fight the corruption levied against these ideals, while Green Arrow is wholly aligned with antiestablishmentarianism at targets the very institutions on authority within society that Batman is aligned with as an inherent source of corruption, but as a result of this anti authoritarian fervor, every victory he has also brings with it inner instability.
>>
>>83519082
I haven't really thought about what they would see in each other in their relationships with their fathers that much honestly. That could be interesting. I've always liked to think that Ollies father was a new money post modern upstart from a reletively poor and no name background in Star City, while the Wayne's are an old money institution of power in Gotham with generations of history and legacy.
>>
>>83519082
Is Bruce or Ollie a worse dad?

The GL/GA storytime makes me say Ollie, but 90s and afterwards Bruce is pretty bad
>>
>>83520055
when did Bruce became a bad "father"?

I think it was when Dixon started pushing Dick as the nice guy of the family.
>>
>>83520102
He was pretty bad to Jason, not really on purpose but more out of ignorance, but 90s is when Batjerk became his default mode
>>
>>83520147
He was? I remember him actually caring about Jason and trying to set him straight.
>>
I feel like this contrast with Batman could serve as a great turning point within the mythos of Green Arrow to show his growth from a Tyler Durden esque insurgent within Star City who forms a band of like minded rebellious types from the displaced and lost youth of Star City,in the style of Robin Hood and his band of Merry Men, into the man who eventually assumes responsibility as a social leader in Star City as the Mayor.
>>
>>83520147
>>83520187
Yeah, it wasn't Batman's fault Jason turned out the way he did, Jason just had a lot of hatred in his soul that he couldn't overcome. In all regards, he did an amazing job of raising Dick and preventing him from becoming as damaged and disillusioned as he is. Dick grew up to be a well rounded superhero who is personable and outgoing, and even the leader of his own superhero team
>>
>>83520055
Ollie is kind of defined by his tendency to cut and run on his family and loved ones when things start getting too stable and normal
>>
>>83518965
Batman always thought Gotham cops were corrupt until he met Gordon. So no, not really
It more has to do with their views on laws. Green Arrow hates how men who are criminally rich are basically pretected by law, and thinks the poor deserve more than what they are getting. Batman doesn't care, and thinks anyone beyond himself breaking the law should be locked up in order to prevent worse crimes against humanities. It's not really cops, but government

Batman: laws are good
Arrow: laws are bad
>>
>>83521635
I wouldn't say that Batman doesn't care, as he does a great deal of charity work, especially orphan focused work, in Gotham in addition to personally spending what time he can in the slums of Gotham saving individual people from minor crimes to make his presence known to even the lowest of criminals. He's most certainly has a lofty understanding of himself as being above the law as it applies to average people, but I don't think this is unearned or out of some egotistical misconception of himself, as he genuinely is beyond average people in his nature.

Otherwise, I would agree with you. Batman is a defender of the Law and it's system, where Oliver is a rebel against such systems.
>>
Red Arrow and Nightwing have a better interplay than Green Arrow and Batman.
>>
Is Deathstroke a better villain in relation to Batman or Green Arrow?
>>
>>83522971
Has Slade ever had a proper interaction with leftie Ollie? I know he showed up in that last New52 GA arc but Ollie was pretty non-political
The whole "Man of the people vs Man of the wealthy" angle seems like it has a lot of potential.
>>
>>83523273
It does, and even the show didn't touch on this potential
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.