[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fell for the "Habibi is GOAT" meme and am now 44
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: habibub.jpg (84 KB, 409x450) Image search: [Google]
habibub.jpg
84 KB, 409x450
I fell for the "Habibi is GOAT" meme and am now 44 dolaridoos poorer Amazon had it for 15, fuck

What can I expect? Let us discuss "Habibi" by Craig Thompson.
>>
>>83447080
Why don't you read it and find out, fucking dumbass? You already bought it, might as well read it. Dumb faggot.
>>
>>83447188
>t. Habibifag
>>
Who the fuck sold it to you for 44 dollars? It literally has a price of $35 on the back cover.
>>
>>83448899
>>
Well, this was all very awkward and depressing.

I don't really know what possessed me into buying it. Maybe it was a desire to better understand a culture unfamiliar to me or perhaps it was just the art that drew me in.

In the end I felt I understood less than I did before and was all the more uncomfortable for it. And while my understanding of the art grew, I felt no better for it. Like trying to get inside a faberge egg to find sustenance.

I don't know what this book was trying to say to me but it tried it's best to say it.
>>
Is this in any way comparable to Persepolis?
>>
*SMACKS LIPS*
>>
>>83449888
Comparable in that it's black and white, persian, and indie.

This shit is fucking deep though.
>>
>>83447080
I absolutely loved it. I mean, you're an idiot for not buying it at a cheaper, but it's great. The art is fantastic and the story is awesome.

>>83449561
This certainly isn't the book to read if you want to learn about middle Eastern culture. Persepolis does a better job presenting a realistic representation. Maybe you need to reread it? Or read it later? Maybe the meaning isn't super obvious, but that doesn't mean it's not there.
>>
>>83449561
>Maybe it was a desire to better understand a culture unfamiliar to me
This is an author who grew up as a Christian fundie writing about Islam.
>>
>>83450306
>This is an author who grew up as a Christian fundie writing about Islam.
That makes me want to read the opposite, if there's any chance of such thing existing.
>>
File: 67b.png (642 KB, 600x848) Image search: [Google]
67b.png
642 KB, 600x848
Nadim Damluji of The Hooded Utilitarian called the book "an imperfect attempt to humanize Arabs for an American audience", taking issue with Thompson's ignorance of the Arabic language, his depiction of Arab culture as "cultural appropriation", and the revelation in the later chapters of a modern, Westernized city in proximity to a primitive harem palace typified by sexual slavery. Though Damluji expressed awe of Thompson's technical skill, and found his artwork "stunning" and his ideas derived from his research "fascinating", he observed that Dodola and Zam arrive are given depth by contrasting them against "a cast of extremely dehumanized Arabs", and summarized the work thus: "Habibi is a success on many levels, but it also contains elements that are strikingly problematic...The artistic playground [Thompson] chose of barbaric Arabs devoid of history but not savagery is a well-trod environment in Western literature....The problem in making something knowingly racist is that the final product can still be read as racist."

>Hooded Utilitarian
>cultural appropiation
>problematic
>>
>>83450306

Well, that was illuminating.

>>83450194

Perse is actually a favorite of mine. I find the Iranian Revolution and all that Argo and CIA bullshit kind of fascinating. And Marjane's a real interesting bitch of a woman.

But I don't feel the need to look back at Habibi. It's better off and more appreciated in someone else's bookshelf.
>>
I read it when it was storytimed here. I thought it was okay. It's main flaw was that it tried to tackle way, way too many topics to the point where the story became a bloated mess. The artist was way over-ambitious, but it is an interesting piece in places.

Uh... I mean... something something sandniggers
>>
>>83450885

I thought we were doing mudslimes now?
>>
>>83450944
I'm not one to be up-to-date on the day's hot epithets. You'll have to go to /int/ for that
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.