[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat /2016/06/03/devin_faraci
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 706x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 706x540
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/06/03/devin_faraci_paints_fan_culture_as_out_of_control_and_entitled_but_is_it.html

The response to Faraci's article is now worse than his original article.

>At Comic-Con, fans aren’t just consumers: They’re sharholders, actively courted by the likes of J.J. Abrams and Zack Snyder. Logos, costumes, and long-range plans are rolled out for their approval. When a Hollywood studio puts its money behind the latest iteration of Superman or Captain America, they’re not just paying for a familiar character. They’re buying into decades, even generations, of fan involvement. But that deep-seated attachment, so difficult to create from scratch, comes with a catch. Please the fans, and you’ve got an army of unpaid promoters on your side. Anger them, and you’re all but sunk.
>>
>>83442896
How long until we round up all fans and put them in camps?

Fat Camps
>>
I want to punch Devin Faraci in the face until he cries blood.
>>
>audiences are stupid and bad
>>
>>83444783
He should fuck off to writing indie comic books.
>>
And yet Faraci has been doing nothing but propping up how great the new Ghostbusters will be.
>>
>>83446014
He shits on DC, that's all it takes for me to respect the man. He's right about nerds too!
>>
File: Capitan Marvel.jpg (192 KB, 1400x460) Image search: [Google]
Capitan Marvel.jpg
192 KB, 1400x460
>>83442896
>Anger them, and you’re all but sunk.
Pft ha. Anger the fans and you've got an army of unpaid promoters that are too dumb to know that's what they are. Welcome to mass social media.
>>
>these fans are getting to uppity
>better make them ashamed for having opinions!
>>
Faraci's right about fan entitlement and I think it's crazy how much of a voice fans seem to want in production of the shit they like. Or think that buying something is like buying stock
>>
>Fans are over. Fans don't have to be your audience anymore.
>>
>>83446014
Yea that one already burned out the entire bridge and is only making it worse going forward.

New/Old argument is "well the old movies will still be around, so what's the problem?"
>>
File: 1454717454338.jpg (24 KB, 314x295) Image search: [Google]
1454717454338.jpg
24 KB, 314x295
>>83444496

underrated
>>
>>83446117
And if they hate it so vehemently that it makes positive promotional material impossible?
>>
>>83446314
Then you need to ask yourself how you fucked it up that badly instead of shitting where you eat.
>>
File: 1456161010123.jpg (57 KB, 586x438) Image search: [Google]
1456161010123.jpg
57 KB, 586x438
>>83442896
is he actually defending the new ghostbusters movie?
>>
>>83446391
Of course he has. He's a feminist. This is the hill they chose to die on. They win either way. If it tanks they get to prattle on about the patriarchy for another decade and if it suceeds they can rub it in everyone's faces. Also GamerGate will be mentioned many times for some reason, regardless of outcome.
>>
>>83442896
I wanna fucking bash this guys skull in. We are entitled as fans, to good and non batterd workss of art. This guy is just a whiney asshole who wants to make exoerimental crap with no consequences.
>>
Its kinda ironic since this new wave of bitching came about because of normalfags.
>>
File: why.png (353 KB, 850x455) Image search: [Google]
why.png
353 KB, 850x455
>>83446449
that's depressing
>>
>>83446391
According to Judd Apatow if you dislike the new Ghostbusters then you're a Trump supporter.
>>
>I'm allowed to be a critic, but no one else is! Also you're not allowed to criticize me.

I wish we could round up and gas these people.
>>
>>83446391

His defense is basically "Ghostbusters sequels are a bad idea. But these are funny actors, Fieg has made good movies, Spy had horrible marketing but was great. Let's wait and see"
>>
>>83446449
Least if it's shit Sony will panic since they've already put so much into establishing a Production Company for a Ghostbusters franchise.

Maybe we'll get the good one a few years down the line.

The one that planned taking ideas from the comics and using a mixed gender team. Not this current bullshit trying to grab headlines.
>>
>>83446563
>But these are funny actors, Fieg has made good movies, Spy had horrible marketing but was great

Kek
>>
>>83446193

>Faraci's right

No.
>>
>>83446563
Everything I heard of Spy was the male actors were good and McCarthy was McCarthy.
>>
Didn't Faraci get his fat ass beat in a boxing match in like 10 seconds?
>>
>>83446563
And yet he was okay with attacking James Rolfe for saying he had no desire to see it.

Don't try to make him sound reasonable. He's a giant cunt.
>>
>>83446601

>But these are funny actors

I feel like this is inarguable? They have almost the same bona fides as the original ghostbusters for crying out loud. Like even if/when SNL wastes you if you can get on SNL you're pretty good at being funny. That shit is hard to join

>>83446653

Rose Byrne was the funniest part and I think people talked up Statham because they didn't know he could be hilarious. Everyone in it was great really. McCarthy shifted into that yelling crash persona for a scene or two but not very much.
>>
>>83446563
Fans have explained what they want in a Ghostbusters sequel since it was talked about in the late 90s "passing of the torch" being the primary part of that.

Instead we get a Reboot nobody wants and they are trying to sell to women like it's something they need in their lives.
>>
>>83446563
>Faraci
>right
pick one.
Faraci has never been right a day in his life.
>>
>>83446754

>Fans have explained what they want

That doesn't matter? And also hasn't that been the plot of like the video game and comics and shit?
>>
>>83446754
>and they are trying to sell to women like it's something they need in their lives

Even funnier when they try to claim women can't/don't enjoy the original stuff.
>>
Sorry, but wanting fans to accept shit, then expecting them to "Buy the next issue" to have said shit explained is not at all valid.

The amount of comic creators who RT'd Faraci's original post is eye opening. They really can't take criticism. And jumping on "death threats" as if thats what everyone is doing is super lame, too.
>>
File: seiwat.jpg (87 KB, 363x343) Image search: [Google]
seiwat.jpg
87 KB, 363x343
>>83442896
This is the same exact brand of demagogic shit they teach at marketing-related classes in my college. I truly cannot understand how anyone can believe this crap.
>>
>>83446806
That death threat shit is so meaningless these days that the instant someone brings it up I know immediately that they're taking the piss.

They're just trying to deflect criticism.
>>
>>83446737
Thing is they are playing it wrong according to the trailers. Ghostbusters was played straight everyone believed in what the were doing to some extent (Aykroyd and Ramis literally having background in the supernatural).

I don't want to see comedy in a trailer I want to see them doing a serious talk about how dangerous this stuff is.
>>
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1soodpg

lol slott
>>
>>83446806
>Nerds are just crying entitled piss babies that'll never leave their momma's basements!
>HELP I'M BEING THREATENED IN CYBER SPACE CALL THE GOOGLE POLICE!
>>
>>83446882

I mean pretty much everything has shitty trailers, I dunno what to tell you about that. also this is a comedy franchise...
>>
File: Dubious.jpg (44 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
Dubious.jpg
44 KB, 500x331
>"We want to make movies with giant built in fan bases ... but not for the giant built in fan base."
>>
>>83446449
I have to hand it to feminists. They've constructed a flawless, unassailable movement. Whatever happens, they always come out winning. Whatever argument you may use against them, they have tenths of clichés and dogmatisms to counter them. They've taken doublethink to a completely new level.
>>
>>83446779
Yea, just take from that moving forward. Not reset stuff back to retreading the originals but dragging shit out. Hell they've got Zuul name-dropping at the end as a sequel tease.

Though for Zuul to declare they pick their own means of destruction after they've already wanted that having Rowan ape that.
>>
>>83446978
They're just utilizing female privilege.
>>
>>83446511
Welp I'm done watching Apatow movies.
>>
File: ZuulTerrorDog1.png (4 MB, 1920x1037) Image search: [Google]
ZuulTerrorDog1.png
4 MB, 1920x1037
>>83446989
Zuul's the Gatekeeper of Gozer though, not the big Shub-roaster itself. Like, if you're going to make the reference at least get it correct.
>>
>>83446779
>That doesn't matter?
Are you asking?
>>
>>83446511
>Trump ends up getting the Ghostbusters and Sanders vote.

Strange politics this season. Mass Hysteria I say.
>>
>>83447163
Good number invert that, can't get too rifled.
>>
>>83447164

yeah. I don't think it matters, anon makes it seem like it matters somewhat so i was questioning it.

>>83446989

do you realize how dumb that sounds? build off an old video game most people haven't played?
>>
>>83447248
Not building off the game just using that premise. Rookie was a stand in for the player. Just do similar throwing in a whole cast instead of just the one.
>>
>>83442896
Fans are entitled, that's nothing new. It's only more noticeable because the internet has brought hate together.
>>
>>83446737
>you're pretty good at being funny
Not the current crop, go watch some of their stuff online it's pretty bad

I really liked Kristen Wiig on SNL, but form what I've heard she spends all her time on set avoiding the director
>>
>>83446511
>According to Judd Apatow if you dislike the new Ghostbusters then you're a Trump supporter.
this is good because not only trump supporters hate the movie
now trump haters will complain with him, for calling them trump likers
>>
>>83447248
>I don't think it matters
So try simply saying "it doesn't matter" instead of being passive-aggressive about it. And by the way, you're wrong. Fan opinions do matter. Supply and demand exists for this reason.
>>
>>83447341

you might be right but people also have been saying that since SNL started so i'm gonna have to take it with a grain of salt.
>>
>>83447393

I thought a question mark left it open to a discussion instead of stating it doesn't matter and ending it there. my bad

I think supply and demand is a very small part of this type of filmmaking. and anyway if the demand was so high wouldn't the people putting up the money have seen that and made sure they supplied them with whatever?
>>
>>83446511
Read thaymt yesterday. Couldn't stop laughing.

Who knew that Ghostbusters would be one of the most political things outside the election.

If you watch it you support women/feminism/diversity
If you watch it you're racist
If you don't you're a sexist
If you're critical of it you're a white MRA virgin gamergater
>>
>>83446511
Trump has transcended to this boogieman status that these thin skinned shits look under the bed before going to sleep.
>>
>>83446978
It's neither flawless, nor unassailable. It's just that because of the accuracy of your last statement there, you really shouldn't bother trying to argue with them. Or engage them in any capacity at all.

Just find them a nice, unobtrusive corner to let them bury their heads in the sand in.
>>
In summation, fandoms are shit.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.