[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm honestly really surprised Green Lantern stuck around
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: GreenLantern.png (244 KB, 300x443) Image search: [Google]
GreenLantern.png
244 KB, 300x443
I'm honestly really surprised Green Lantern stuck around past the Silver Age

The child of a WWII fighter pilot who gets his powers from a downed UFO out near Roswell- I can't think of a character that is a better example of "product of their time." Sure you can always update the origin by pushing the dates forward, but I feel a good amount of the thematic ideas surrounding the character are lost.
>>
File: Damn it Hal.jpg (86 KB, 453x432) Image search: [Google]
Damn it Hal.jpg
86 KB, 453x432
I'm just surprised he didn't fall down some stairs and die.
>>
>>83421904
Most people dont know where he came from anymore
>>
>>83421980
I'm surprised he hasn't been featured on To Catch a Predator yet.
>>
>>83421904
Fighter pilots never stopped being cool
>>
>>83421904
This is why New Frontier was the only Green Lantern story I ever really liked. Modern GL just feels like a flashy Bay blockbuster
>>
>>83421904
barely
>>
>>83421904
He almost didn't. He kept getting cancelled and for awhile was a backup in Action Comics with no title of his own, and then for awhile was quarterly. It wasn't until his trip across America with a Guardian and Oliver that he finally got some love and some decent stories, then again when they started focusing more on the Corps as awhole in the late 80s.
>>
>>83421980
>john stewart reboot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9M9rodtoTU
>>
>>83423217
>He kept getting cancelled and for awhile was a backup in Action Comics with no title of his own, and then for awhile was quarterly. It wasn't until his trip across America with a Guardian and Oliver that he finally got some love and some decent stories
I think your timeline is a little messed up there friend

GL didn't get cancelled for the first time until GL 89, which was 13 issues into GL/GA (which was a fairly acclaimed run at the time but sold like garbage)

The second cancellation was in the late 80s after the book had been retitled Green Lantern Corps for a couple years, then Hal had a solo feature in Action Comics Weekly THEN GL relaunched with vol 3 in the early 90s
>>
So it's suffering being a GL fan? Does anyone like Simon bazi bachi?
>>
>>83423526
Simon was cute in GLs Rebirth
>>
>>83423526
>So it's suffering being a GL fan?
Yes
>Does anyone like Simon bazi bachi?
Yes
>>
>>83421904
Because aliens will never stop being cool.
>>
>>83421904
Stan Lee's radiation characters and especially Captain America are much more "products of their time".
>>
>>83422019
How many times did Johns drive home that origin story?
>>
>>83426694
Did you know his dad died in a jet accident?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.