[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is everything about comics books in this era seemingly so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: Kilian-Eng-Silver-Surfer.jpg (413 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Kilian-Eng-Silver-Surfer.jpg
413 KB, 900x600
Why is everything about comics books in this era seemingly so uncomfortable and steeped in populist identity politics and social media culture? I feel absolutely alien in the world of comics as they are now.

I really don't like it /co/. I feel like I've lost such a cozy part of my life, like I used to live on a quiet street that I could take walks along and drive around at night with the windows down just to breath in the atmosphere, but now it's an impersonal highway with screaming traffic and oil stains.
>>
>>83306056

Stop reading the big two. /thread.
>>
>>83306077
Why do you feel like you should dismiss me off hand like this? I thought it would be clear that I made this thread looking for interaction and conversation. This isn't just about reading the books themselves, it's a matter of the subculture as a whole
>>
Because it's an era of identity politics and social media culture.

Comics didn't change. The world did.
>>
File: 1463885097435.jpg (88 KB, 619x630) Image search: [Google]
1463885097435.jpg
88 KB, 619x630
>>83306077
>implying non big 2 comics don't suffer from the same thing
>>
>>83306369
It's such an ugly, profane world that we've made for ourselves.
>>
>>83306421
I like it. I can reinvent my online identity at a drop of a hat, and trying out different online personas helps me refine my offline personas
>>
File: Tiger_Mask_IV_2.jpg (57 KB, 330x380) Image search: [Google]
Tiger_Mask_IV_2.jpg
57 KB, 330x380
>>83306056
Because the market for comics shrunk to a miniscule size in the 90s, and as a result they're more dependent than ever on publicity stunts and gimmicks to drum up any modicum of interest from an intensely apathetic public
>>
>>83306479
I find it dehumanizing and ill fitting, like I'm walking around with my skin peeled off
>>
>>83306056
Comics got big. Marvel and DC were always about making money. Now the money seems to be in playing to a crowd that bluntly doesn't buy comics. You can see marvel's experimentation with this in hiring webcomic authors like Ryan North and artists like Erica Henderson. Big two Comics already suffered from their deadline format, not to mention copyright fuckery, their blunt refusal to end stories and give them a cohesive beginning, middle, and ending now we're getting people used to vomiting out low quality drek and throwing them into the american comics industry.

what I'm saying here is the Big Two are dying. The Iron Age is over. We're transitioning over from Floppies to trades, maybe digital distribution. This is assuming Marvel and DC IPs aren't just eventually farmed out for Movies, Cartoons, and video games.

The industry always suffered from Diamond Distributor's Monopoly It's starting to look like the internet will end that simply by removing the demand for big two comics. Thus the shifting demographics and desperate attempts to find new readership...often at the cost of causing old readers to leave.

I dunno man, I stopped reading Marvel and DC aside from the occasional pirated comic ten years ago. now I only read IDW, Archie, Valiant, and Darkhorse and so on.
>>
>>83306575
I've never had much use for my Humanity. Discard the flesh, embrace the digital.

Ave Machina!
>>
It will get worse before it gets better, but it is encouraging to see that people are wising up. Things aren't supposed to be this way.
>>
>>83306575
the truth is you never had skin
>>
>>83306664
The flesh is a gift squandered by those who would sacrifice it in order to fit in and seem normal.
>>
>>83306664
The realization of our humanity is the very reason we're here in this world anon. I know your joking, but it's heartbreaking to see our society reject and denigrate the human identity
>>
File: n7mxmufHHJ1qzrzuvo1.png (251 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
n7mxmufHHJ1qzrzuvo1.png
251 KB, 500x375
>>83306056
>get off mah lawn
>>
>>83306732
You'd stand by and do nothing while your land is ripped up and sown with salt?
>>
death to videodrome, long live the new flesh
>>
>>83306654
>Comics got big.
>Now the money seems to be in playing to a crowd that bluntly doesn't buy comics.

?
>>
>>83306704
if humanity fails to meet my standards what choice have I but to become someone other than human?
>>
File: tumblr_mcqryqWEZO1r2tbuso1_1280.jpg (211 KB, 760x567) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mcqryqWEZO1r2tbuso1_1280.jpg
211 KB, 760x567
>>83306785
It's not humanity that failed you, it's you who failed to live up to what it means to be human. Your false sense of righteous indignation is just an excuse that you've made for yourself so you don't have to face the titanic struggle of actualizing one's identity. It's easier to pretend that it's all of humanity that failed
>>
>>83306056
That's just life anon, things you thought were fixed and dependable turnout to just be passing fads. Things you thought would blow over turnout to be the new normal. Our parents had to deal with it, our kids will too.

It can be hard to adjust but ultimately things tend to end up better
>>
>>83306056
That's what they want
Don't make them get to you.

Or learn French and read Euro comics, they don't care about that bullshit.
>>
>>83306056

You weren't around during the 70s, I take it?
>>
>>83306077
>/threading your own comment
Faggot
>>
>>83307220
>It's the "old comic writers were identical to the stealthbragging, in-group signaling hacks of today" meme
From a writing standpoint alone, they're far too different for any meaningful comparisons.
>>
>>83306421
Why do you say it's ugly and profane?
>>
You could try actually reading comics (one-off panels in daily "rage" threads don't count) and see that your problem is not the case for the majority of publications.
>>
>>83306195
Comics reflect the culture of their target audience.

How old are you op?
>>
>>83306056

Comics, like all media, have always carried social/political messages, some more explicitly than others. You only think something different is happening right now because 1) you've reached an age where you can identify it, and 2) those social and political messages are moving away from what you consider to be the norm, or "common sense".
>>
>>83306056
>implying comic books haven't always been steeped in the cultural issues and values of their times
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.