[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You ever think that Disney could just close down the comics branch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4
File: tumblr_o06gwcvFEo1sff0xeo1_1280.jpg (462 KB, 1280x1284) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o06gwcvFEo1sff0xeo1_1280.jpg
462 KB, 1280x1284
You ever think that Disney could just close down the comics branch of Marvel if they have a bad year or two in sales? I've been thinking about this ever since Disney closed down their Console Gaming Division when Infinity didn't do so well last year. With Marvel pretty much approaching $6 to sell issues of their events, it seems like they're really trying to get the most money out of people.

Should we be concerned, or are comics safe?
>>
>>83282162
As long as there are events and X-fags, Marvel is safe.
>>
Things would have to get much much worse for that to be possible.

Right now comic books are a great way to test new stories and characters.
>>
>>83282197
And Spiderfags, forgot them,
>>
>>83282162
No the comics are an IP goldmine for a billion dollar business

They are smart enough to not cut the golden goose
>>
>>83282197
We could be losing X-Fags soon.
>>
No, and there are two reasons. A) The comics are a pretty good way of seeing how well stories work. B) The PR. Marvel comic movies are, as of now, money printing machines. If disney cut off their comics, which the movies more than adequately pay for even if the comics made zero profit, then their reputation would be soured and people would be less inclined to see the Marvel movies. I think we will eventually see Marvel be shut down, though. Just not in the immediate future. These movies will eventually go away and I'm not so sure the comics can survive that.
>>
>>83282260
If EXM, All-New O5 and rehash of Decimation didn't have them drop books, nothing will.
>>
>>83282359
That I agree with. If these movies start to fail, so will comics.
>>
>>83282162
It would be for the best. The current comics are absolute garbage. They just need to keep the classic reprints going. If they keep publishing comics and Trump becomes president marvel is probably going to hire tumblr posters to write their comics.
>>
Marvel Comics's potential as an IP source makes them too valuable to shut down. At worst, Disney would just play musical chairs with management positions like Time Warner did with DC. I'd imagine some would love to see Ike Perlmutter out.
>>
>>83282359
But with the recent captain America controversy I could see Disney fearing the sjw writers will hurt ticket sales by turning people off to the characters. For the sake of keeping the movies and cartoons going they really need to kill off the poison that is modern marvel comics.
>>
>>83282473
If Marvel goes out of business, all of comics will collapse. Shops will close all over if the company that sells half of the market disappears.
>>
>>83282213
Did you miss where OP pointed out that they shit down their entire Video Games division just because they didn't see enough money in it? With
the MCU division separate from the comics division, the comics not making much money comparatively, and the movies being the basis for most toys and merchandise now, there's very little reason for them to keep the comics division up.

Knowing Disney's history, it's only a matter of time.
>>
>>83282162
>This bait is the baitiest bait I've ever seen baited.
Go directly to jail. Do not pass go. No dirty Henry Cavill underwear with fresh racing stripes for you.
>>
>>83282813
The movies are based on the comics, not the video games.
>>
>>83282903
are you fucking illiterate or something
>>
>>83282848
Not trying to bait. I'm outright saying that one bad year with Infinity was enough to shut down the entire console division of Disney and lay off 300 employees. The same could happen with Marvel comics.
>>
>>83282922
>illiterate
Said the person who couldn't find proper punctuation if it was stuck in his ass.
>>
>>83282813
And keep in mind, video games are a pretty massive market. To withdraw from it and yet keep comics, which rarely sell 1 million issues anymore, makes it seem a lot more shaky.
>>
>>83282984
Yeah, I also understand that this is completely bait and you're retarded if you think this is even a real thing.
>>
>>83282813
>Disney shuts down Avalanche who they only acquired in 2005 because Infinity wasn't as successful as they hoped
>This is somehow comparable to shutting down Marvel Comics who have been around since the 40s
>>83283032
They are not going to produce their own games, they will still contract third parties to make them.
>>
>>83282260
quality doesnt matter to x-fags
>>
>>83283067
And you are too confident in comics
>>
They easily could do that and just put out reprints if there are any things that require publication to keep the rights.
>>
>>83282998
disnigger please go
>>
>>83283111
>implying a division's age matters at all
>>
>>83282813
You don't understand how much money was poured into Infinity. In comparison comics are a MUCH safer investment, and even if the market is kinda shit in general Marvel is dominating it
>>
>>83283284
Avalanche has made nothing but Infinity for the last few years and a handful of games for Disney before that.
Infinity is not a normal video game venture as there's the toy-to-life aspect.
Disney Interactive Studios is only a publisher.

Do you understand yet? This big "shut down" means jack shit other than that Infinity was running at a loss.
>>
>>83282359
Right because that on going ant man with retired old Hank was where they got the idea for 2015 Ant-man
Oh wait no it was like every other Hollywood venture and the idea just rises to the top and was made.

You could burn Marvel comics to the ground and Disney will make mad bank of the films. The only reason Marvel comics is alive is a hope cross marketing works like Civil War 2 and the like. They will drown that baby if it's costing them more money then they care for.
>>
>>83283250
I'd insult you again but it's painful watching you spend 10 minutes trying to summon up the intelligence to answer.
>>
>>83283392
>forgetting Junction Point
>>
>>83282542
>It's a 4Chan pretends tumblrinas matter episode

These Twitter "controversies" mean jack shit. Remember when people were supposed to boycott Marvel as a whole because the evil CEO donated to the evil Trump funding? Or when Cho was supposed to lose his career over the SpiderGwen covers? Or when people wanted to boycott the movies because of the problemaric faves?
>>
>>83283417
Always hilarious to see the kind of winners Disney attracts.
>>
>>83282802
Marvel makes 1/4th At best of a brick and mortar store
DC has been selling better than Marvel in the last few years films be damned and a good chunck of smaller studios are making splashes in sales.
>>
Think about the dignity of the fictional characters. If they are to be remembered in a positive light they need to stop publishing these god awful comics. The movies aren't ruining the characters even if they are making way too many of them, but these comics are so shit it is starting to make me hate the characters.
>>
>>83282162
>could
I would love this to be honest.

What is the downside? SERIOUSLY?
>>
>>83283392
>Do you understand yet? This big "shut down" means jack shit other than that Infinity was running at a loss.
You know that anyone with a three digit IQ would know that, but you are talking to DC fans so you might want to dumb that down and use smaller words. After the lousy year they've had, they need this to be true and about the only thing they have to look forward to this year is the Killing Joke with Conroy and Hamill.
>>
Imagine you had like a model and a bunch of painters that made these awesome pictures of her that everyone paid billions of dollars for. Sure the model doesn't do anything other than sit around and get paintings done of her these days but why the fuck would you kill her?
>>
>>83283480
>My side is marginally less shitty than yours. yeah, take that!!!
>Always hilarious to see the kind of "detectives" DC attracts.
>>
>>83283484
>somebody posts sales figures filled with Star Wars and #1s to counter you
>you argue for trades
>they argue that BvS was bad

Every actual argument has been made ten times over on this board. There is no reason for either side to ever argue in good faith.

Just call the fans of the company you don't like a bunch of faggots and leave it at that.
>>
>>83282813
That is not how the market works anon, Disney was irrelevant in the large scale of gaming, they closing down means almost nothing. Comics are an entirely different situation, you would need to be literally retarded to think about closing Marvel.
>>
>>83283488
It's also worth noting the cross market is pointless
the movie versions are at best what the heroes were like in the 80s
Hell even Captain America civil war felt more like a 80s Jim Sterling Avenger story then something made in 2005

The comics are not even trying to bait in the movie crowd and I think for once that is a big mistake
>>
>>83283541
Because we already have images that can be replicated. Why do we need to keep her around while her tits start sagging and she gets old as fuck?
>>
>>83283579
I'm the anon you are responding to and frankly I feel they are both shit companies in the comic field.
>>
>>83283634
Not the anon you are responding to but I agree. Too bad that you can't make a complaint about one side without being accused of being on the other side.
>>
>>83283599
This is absolutely true. The comics are nearly unreccongnizable version of the characters. And yet the movies feel like the comics did before they went to shit. Why not just go back to those classic characters? Why not hire competent writers who aren't trying to reinvent every character?
>>
>>83283599
>The comics are not even trying to bait in the movie crowd
Marvel is.
>>
>>83282226
Marvel hasn't created a popular IP in like 20 years. Disney already has the IPs, they don't need Marvel Comics and the pittance they make compared to Marvel Studios.
>>
>>83283766
Because all everyone wants is to play with the Marvel and DC toys from the Marvel and DC toys boxes

>Moore was right
>>
File: Alan Moore was right.jpg (45 KB, 396x495) Image search: [Google]
Alan Moore was right.jpg
45 KB, 396x495
>>83283862
Got you covered.
>>
>>83283833
The Hydra-Cap twist was handled way better in the movie tbqhfamalam
>>
>>83283847
Care to share all these fresh IP's that DC has been cranking out lately?
>>
>>83283906
>someone says something negative about Marvel
>FUCK YOU DC SUCKS TOO
Lick clockwork.
>>
>>83283847
Except they do otherwise they'll lose the trademarks. The last thing they want is to have DC gain the "Captain Marvel" now or have another The Champions situation happen.
>>
>>83283906
I didn't say anything about DC. They don't have any fresh IPs either. What are you talking about broseph?
>>
>>83283847
The problem is that if you take something out of a niche other stuff will take its place.

To put it in simple words: There is a corporation that owns a variety of beer, wine, juice and soft drinks. They are not going to simply stop selling juice just because beer and coke sells a lot more. You don't just go and close up something just "because", the Gaming Industry used to do that and in the end all they got was a quick trip to the red finances zone while other products took over niches they once held tightly.
>>
>>83283906
>B-but DC havn't done anything either
Nice try mouseketeer
>>
>>83283484
>Marvel makes 1/4th At best of a brick and mortar store
>DC has been selling better than Marvel in the last few years
What fucking alternate universe are you living in? Marvel has almost 50% of the market while DC only has 25% and Image rounding up the number 3 spot with 10%, and the remaining ~15% being fought over by over a dozen smaller publishers.
>>
File: 1463235371614.jpg (163 KB, 599x657) Image search: [Google]
1463235371614.jpg
163 KB, 599x657
>>83284010
>>83283906
Grrrrr, fukken [other company] shills
>>
>>83283978
>broseph
>Oh, look everyone I watch GEICO commercials too.
>>
>>83284126
He says while pic related.
>>
File: aa30.jpg (19 KB, 333x203) Image search: [Google]
aa30.jpg
19 KB, 333x203
>>83284127
>>83284164
>>
>>83284050
He's probably referring to bookstore numbers where DC was #2 last year while Marvel was #5. But the original comment was talking about LCSes so that was dumb of him. Still interesting to look at though:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/tilting-at-windmills-bookscan-2015-analysis
>>
>>83284193
Meme boy is here. The day is saved!!!
>>
>>83284208
Oh yeah, DC definitely outsells Marvel when it comes to trade sales via bookstores as does Image, that's nothing new. Marvel fucking sucks in the trade department partially because how much more expensive their books are compared to DC and Image's. But we were specifically talking about the fact that without Marvel around, LCSs would collapse since they make up nearly half of Diamond sales. And if LCSs and Diamond would collapse then there goes the floppie market in its entirety, which would then require a complete and drastic shift in how comics are sold and made that the industry potentially wouldn't be able to survive.
>>
>>83284262
>the only anon who still pays you attention is here
Fixed, and you're welcome.
>!!!
Level 3 mad.
>>
>>83284319
Meme boy has returned and the day is saved thanks to the Mighty Heroes.
Level 3 amused.
>>
>>83283599
>Jim Sterling
>>
>>83283599
But Starlin only wrote The Avengers (1963) Annual 07.
>>
>>83284302
Disney probably would just license the Marvel brand to some other company though, if they close the comics division, like what they plan to do with games from now on.

They'd still get new comics and concepts, without needing to put any effort into it.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.