[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is he hated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 9
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 156x144) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 156x144
Why is he hated?
>>
He's a cunt.
>>
He has foreskins attached to the side of his head instead of ears.
>>
He's a douche.
>>
He's a total dick for no particularly good reason.
>>
He's an asshole.
>>
>>83140912
Not only is he a douchebag, but he's a tool as well.

He broke off his friendship with Ronaldo(implied to be his only friend) because he wanted to look cool. He tries to impress the Cool Kids with his "too cool for school" shtick, while failing to realize the Cool Kids are live and let live types. He basically takes advantage of Sadie's feelings for him while acting like a jerk to her all the time.

Honestly, the only hope for this character to stop being the worst is if The New Lars has him take a total 180 and just flat out apologize for being an enormous jackass for most of his life.
>>
File: shituation.png (158 KB, 816x754) Image search: [Google]
shituation.png
158 KB, 816x754
>>83140912
His character development reverts every time he reappears. He's just a dick 'cos "Oh he wants to be cool but nobody likes him", and we're supposed to feel sorry for him more times than not because of this. Like most the human characters on the show, he's also really fucking boring.
>>
>>83140912
He's a shitty and uninteresting character and episodes that focus on him take away from time that could be used to cover things people actually care about.
>>
>>83141297
>180
> Not 360
>>
>>83141297

>"The new Lars" will be an episode where Lars comes out as trans
>Laura is still an asshole though
>>
File: 1462243354139.png (75 KB, 254x299) Image search: [Google]
1462243354139.png
75 KB, 254x299
>>83141402
Thankfully Sugar is not as blunt about subverting norms as that. Trannies won't ever be directly discussed. If indirectly discussed it will be through Stevonnie. It's called plausible deniability. Stevonnie isn't a trans, Stevonnie is a space magic hermaphrodite. Or if that is too divisive then SHE is just a space magic girl with some boy mixed in some undisclosed way.
>>
>>83141402
Honestly, if this was a thing, that's exactly what would happen.
>>
>>83141402
I don't like SJW agenda but this would actully be hilarious man
>>
File: 1431826692414.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1431826692414.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
>>83141402
>people will pay more attention to Laura than they ever did to Lars
>will defend her even if she's a total dickweed because omg ur so brave
>>
>>83140912
he's kind of an asshole.

but worse than that, not even an entertaining asshole. Which is one of the most important parts of writing an asshole character.
>>
>>83140912
he's too real.
>>
>>83141031
this.
He's a tryhard who cares too much about what people think about him while lacking the self-reflection to see how douchy he is.
>>
He's a cunt with an ugly design
>>
Lars and Ronaldo are the two humans I want most to see get brutally sodomized by the Crystal Gems.
>>
He's mean, whiny, faggoty little asshole.
>>
>>83142402
The same can be said about every character in Fat Fuck Universe
>>
>>83140912
I read that Mr. Smiley is Lars step Dad and his Mom is dead. Its why he was a normal kid then became an edgelord asshole.

Mr. Smiley super depressed at dead wife. Lars says Why not try smiling for a change? and earns his nickname.
>>
>>83142327
That's not the case with any SU character.
>>
>>83143061
Mr Smily confirmed for cuck. Needs more Sinbad
>>
Because he doesn't believe in Steven.
>>
>>83140912

He's a selfish jerk.
>>
>>83140912
I can see lars just being a total dick to steven.And then the mayors son just magically comes down on a bench tell him to blow him.Knowing lars he will do it just to get in with the "cool" kids.Then buck will just say hey to steven and ask if he wants to hang.Steven might say "no thanks im good".Lars might be like "HEY buck you know im fr-" *bucks flys away on the parkbench*.
>>
He insulted a kid's dead mom.
>>
>>83147226
Lars: Hey Steven, fked your mum last night.
Steven: My Moms Dead!
Lars: Oh, is that why she didn't move?
>>
>>83140912
He tries too hard and he has a toxic co dependence with Sadie.

I learned to dislike Sadie a lot more to be quite honest family. At least Lars didn't hold her hostage for weeks so he could be the only intimate human contact. Or nearly kill her from a prank.
>>
>>83140912
Cause hes written to be hated.
>>
>>83147567
This honestly

Sadie and Lars are just as bad as each other, just in different ways
>>
>>83146657
thats a SU ep right there that can happen.
>>
>>83147661
Sadie looks like a monkey child and why she likes this skinny most likely to be a prison bitch lars is beyond me
>>
Lars looks like he snitch on someone.Like he is ready to tell on anyone at any minute
>>
>>83141297
>Implying Ronaldo wasn't just as much of a dick by trying to show everyone an embarrassing picture of him getting attacked by a fake ghost.

Even if it was unintentional, Ronaldo screwed up just as bad by not respecting his wishes to keep the picture private. He was just as full of himself.
>>
>>83140912
I love Lars. He's an asshole, but in the way many insecure teenagers are, which makes him relatable and redeemable to me.
>>
>>83140912

Because he's legitimately a terrible person?

He's had like three episodes dedicated to trying to make him a decent human being and he's still a turbo-douche.
>>
The New Lars will probably have him be more sympathetic than anything
I relate to him solely because I was a lot like him at that age, but also because it's an accurate representation of teenage fuckboys rather than just making him cool or a surfer guy like other shows tend to do
>>
He maybe a cunt, but Sadie is a total nutcase for trapping him on that island like that
>>
>>83140912
Because he's a big meanie-bo-beenie and nothing in life can ever excuse that

Now can we please get back to worshipping the perfect blue girl who tried to steal all water on earth?
>>
>>83147737
Fat ugly teenage girls love twinky boys who hate their guts, they always have and always will.
I know I did.
>>
>>83141402
>Laura
Larissa you mean.

>asshole
Except people don't care when girls are assholes. Most of /co/ even finds it hot as proven by the boners nursed for bitchy popular girl characters.
>>
>>83148299
What's the end game? Feminization or just pegging?

>admitting to being fat and ugly
Don't do this. I like to imagine girls on /co/ to be the cute thin nerdy type.
>>
>>83140912
he acts more like a real human that any of the characters in the show and you cant have that in a show targeted to tumblr, if it was a kids show you could because kids can handle it better than them
>>
File: 1462157052922.jpg (48 KB, 490x490) Image search: [Google]
1462157052922.jpg
48 KB, 490x490
>>83148755
>tumblr
>hating lars
ha
>>
>>83148725
Highschool girls don't want to peg or feminize, they just want qt boyfriends to hold hands with and go to the state fair.
Maybe the twink thing is about wanting features you've absolutely failed to manifest yourself, like grace and beauty.
>>
>>83148755
Yea but in a sense when ppl talk about this shows lesbians honsetly with the males displayed who can blame em
>>
>>83142362
You.
I like you.
>>
>>83148755
>real human
You mean a real shitty person. Even Steven acts realistic. For a socially sheltered kid like he is. It's school and overall interaction with kids their own age where children act that people are shit and you should always be on your guard around them.

Realism has nothing to do wit it. Lars is a jerk without any redeeming features as a person or as a character. He's not even the type you love to hate, he's just the type you hate, too dull to be entertaining in his jerkiness and too pathetic to be cool.
>>
>>83140912
>He
>>
>>83149127
humans are shitty people sometimes, rick and morty said it best, think about a charcter. If you dont have memories of him offending you and being an ass its not a real human.
But you dont watch steven universe for the plot, nobody does, you watch it as a escapist fantasy
>>
>>83149127
he only seems like such an asshole and irredimable because every other character seems to come out of a disney movie. Take lars and put him in another show and your opinion will change
>>
>>83140912
Because male rape victims are never taken seriously.
>>
>>83147523
But Steven IS his mom.
>>
>>83149258
>>83149302
Bullshit. I like both Rick and Bojack. They are both objectively awful people. Worlds worse than Lars. But they are also complex and entertaining. Lars is just a jerk and a bore. Lars is literally what you would write if you asked for a character liked by no one. Even a Hitler type has fans, Lars does not.
>>
>>83149432
grab lars and grunckle stan and make them switch shows
lars is now 100 times more likable and gets redeeed as part of the cast which is a bit of an ass to dipper
grunckle stan is satan
>>
>>83140912
He's really ugly and really annoying.
>>
>>83149432
and the reason he is a "bore" is because he is never given anything exciting to do or an opportunity to shine.
Steven and lars are contrasts, lars shows you the part of you you want to ignore, he is weak, selfish, etc. Stevven shows you the part of you you could never become that makes lars an actua character while steven is just your vehicle to the wonder universe
>>
>>83141402
What? No.

"The new Lars" is the upcoming fusion, Larsteven.
>>
File: i_eat_kids.png (677 KB, 1024x546) Image search: [Google]
i_eat_kids.png
677 KB, 1024x546
>>83149576
>grunckle stan is satan
Grunkle Stan is bubbled
>>
>>83149676
why would Lars dance with Steven?
Lars hates Steven.
>>
>>83147826
>>83141297

To be honest, I find Lars and Ronaldo equally irritating.

The show seems tot ry give reason behind every character's action and grow from it, but both of them refuse to do the growth part.

Lars continues being a jerk to mask his insecurities and Ronaldo continues to be that short-sided dickbag who believes himself to be the center of the universe.

I suppose it fits in the theme of "nobody in here is fucking perfect" but is odd that they seem to lack any kind of growth.
>>
File: char_141484.jpg (10 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
char_141484.jpg
10 KB, 210x240
>get one episode
>get nothing ever again

lol
>>
As terrible as he is, at least he never trapped anyone on an island and made a fat boy corssdress
>>
>>83149885
the only character that realisticly grows in amathyst and it almost happens off camera
steven almost grows when he is betrayed by petridot but then it turns out he wasnt being betrayed by petridot and the message is completely lost
connie is a self insert
pearl is a mess and when she fucks up its completely justifyed
garnet is only allowed to be wrong when she turns into two not garnets
petridot changes sides with almost no motivation and her new loyalty isnt actually challenged
>>
>>83149576
No. You put Stan in SU and you get a charismatic con artist who exploits gem activity for tourist bucks. You put Lars in GF and you get a poor man's second Robbie.

>>83149671
There is nothing interesting about him. The height of his aspirations is to be considered "cool", yet he has no talent, personal quality or hobby witch might elevate him to that level.
>>
>>83149885
Nobody on the show really seems to grow I don't guess, except for Connie and Sadie maybe? But their growth is a bit negative in some ways.

Everyone else just seems to sorta "spead out" I guess. Their personality is expanded upon, but nothing else really comes from it. No one ever exceptionally evolves beyond their original traits.

Peridot seems to have grown too, but in the opposite direction. She's been flanderized into being a zany, "better than you" mad scientist with a napoleon complex. When we first saw her, she was cold and calculating. Now, while others will see her as cute, I just find her kinda annoying and a replacement for Connie before she became serious, or maybe for Pee-Dee who has just been phased out of the show for some inexplicable reason. I guess because Steven's only human friends need to be his dad and Connie, and Connie is appearing less and less and Steven gets more entrenched in gem affairs.
>>
>>83150094
Is less on how good the development actually is and more that there is one.

Even if not by much, Steven has become slightly more aware of the situation and isn't AS naive as it was at the beginning of the show (The lackluster redemption of Peridot aside, the fact he immediately questioned on her picking the transmitter up on the moon rather than just obliviously believe her like any other cartoon would to drawn out the plot shows Current Steven ain't the same as first season steven who just let Lapis go and was completely a-ok.)

Amethyst has developed a lot since the beginning.

Connie at least has her family issues that have shows little but SOME of a development. (Learning swordfight, making up with her mom.)

Pearl has gone through a lot of shit all completely justified which fits with the theme of the show of everybody not being perfect. But she has also shown her moments of strength.

Sadie is still pretty bad, but she seems to have become slightly less clingy on Lars, even if so slightly. (I may be one of the few people who thinks Sadie's Song wasn't as bad. Mostly cause i focused on the ep rather than steven in a drag)

Peridot's redemtion has been debated a lot but is still something.

The one I give you for sure is Garnet, cause she hasn't changed at all except when split.

The thing is even if it's a small progress, development has happened with the characters. Lars and Ronaldo are, whatever it is because of few episodes with their focus or not, exactly on the same spot they were at the beginning of season 1.
>>
>>83149815
No, they're in love with each other, you're just not watching the show correctly.
>>
>>83150141
here is the thing, lars is robbie. Is robbie hated half as much as lars is? no
and gruncle stan, written as gruncle stan in steven universe would be anything but charming, and he is still a disney character.
>>83150141
steven aspirations are be good, thats it. Steven isnt interesting, garnet is interesting, fight scenes are interesting, mistycal temples are interesting but steven is the blandest mc in the history of cartoons.
There is plenty of slapstick in the show, its never ever funny. Slapstick is funny when it happens to a character you can relate to, an atropomorphic duck who always gets the short end of the stick is more relatable than anyone in this show
>>
>>83149885
>>83150094
Characters don't have to grow to be well written, the problem is when you keep treading old ground while not really bringing up anything new or interesting

SU is a lot less about character development, and more getting to know characters. The problem is the humans are pretty simple and boring while the gems are thousands of years old aliens who fought a massive war and are still sort of dealing with that
>>
>>83150483
They might both love Lars.
Maybe if Steven snuck up on a a dancing lars and felt "wow Lars is cool" while Lars air-guitared like the spastic dick he is, they'd fuse into a Stevie's hero-worship version of Lars and Lars's pathetic projection of a cool dude he has of himself so he doesn't an hiro.
That would be an amusing and interesting plot though, and probably won't happen.
>>
>>83150721
>steven aspirations are be good, thats it.
To live up to his mothers image?
To grow stronger and master his powers?
To try and stop whatever threat?
To look for a peaceful solution with people and gems?
To somehow become a leader?
To try and get closer to Connie who he obviously has growing feelings for?
To achieve whatever little thing he wants to that day be it get a donut to go on a roadtrip?

No he doesn't want to just "be good", that is such a terrible simplification.

>There is plenty of slapstick in the show, its never ever funny
Last episode with Garnet saying he will land softly and then him falling face first was great
>>
>>83150094
well steven grows as a character in age aswell i mean he doesnt even know what its like to have a mom.Gems brake in to dust if they hear somethin about rose.And he still manages to keep his cool about all this.
>>
>>83150141
Really who the fucks says cool anymore
>>
>>83150454
ok, steven does question petridot i give you that
the crystal gems rely on him more too, the problem with steven is the way he is presented in the show
pearl regressed, every new episode she is shown less reliable and composed than the previous one
connie is completely irrelrevant, the moment i saw connie i inmediately knew her whole role in the entire show, anyone expecting development frfom connie or looking foward to more connie is a retard
who is sadie?
petriot fucks up the whole villain redemption ark so much that its ridiculous, they are lucky she has such a great chemistry with the other characters or else i would hate her
i hate both ruby and saphire, it was a cool plot twist sure but their characters are so bad it actually takes away from garnet as a whole.
Not that growth is anywhere near my biggest complain with the show
>>
I wish that when amethyst does something its not like making a puppy sit in a corner.I mean most of her eps are just her being told she is a mistake and i guess if steven or the other characters bitch abit they all forget and forgive
>>
>>83150972
To win the fight and go out for pizza?
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 480x324) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 480x324
>>83140912
Because hes a fucking jerk who takes advantage of people or atleast treats them like shit TFW the character im most like on that show is lars
>>
>>83150778
>Characters don't have to grow to be well written
out of 8 crystal gems 3 are well written and 1 didnt have enough screen time yet for me to judge
>>83150972
i never saw steven give enough of a shit about her mother legacy to make that an actual motivation, he outright states that he didnt know his mother at all so it has zero emotional impact to him
yeah, not either steven doesnt train to get his powers, they just appear
so to be good,
to be good
when did steven gave the smallest semblance of a fuck about leadership?
having a romantic interest is not a character trait
wanting food is not a characer trait
>>83150979
he does state he doesnt care, he says i thought i would cry but it turns out i dont feel nyhting
>>
>>83151123
>expecting development frfom connie or looking foward to more connie is a retard
But she went from a shy girl, with no friends, who couldn't open up to more confident, standing up to her mom, being pretty open with Steven and started to learn how to fight willing to risk a lot for him

She isn't the most amazing character but I seriously think you need to rewatch the show just to see how many characters were different at the start.
>>
>>83150979
hell steven not giving a fuck about rose is the only realistic aspect of steven
>>
>>83151386
the moment i saw connie i knew everything connie was going to do in the show, i wont be surprised by connie, i knew from the get go someone was going to train her to fight alongside steven, i knew that her parents wouldnt like that before seeing them and i knew the dinamyc she and steven where going to have
connie to me is a robot i cant get emotionally invested in a tool
>>
>>83140912
this is the face of pre teen cock sucker who got raped by the football team in the bathroom
>>
>>83151355
>i never saw steven give enough of a shit about her mother legacy
It is something the show brings up a lot, that episode you reference Steven feels sad as he wants to carry on what she was doing and use her power to help

>not either steven doesnt train to get his powers
He doesn't have to train tow ant them to grow stronger, also the first episode is about this and we have on later of steven trying to get in shape cause he wants to be strong like Sugilite.

>so to be good,
>to be good
Stop shitposting, being good is such a general term it means nothing here. So many things could be classed as being good that you could over simplify most characters in anything to just wanting to be good

>when did steven gave the smallest semblance of a fuck about leadership?
Again we have an episode on this, Steven fakes that the trials were super hard to make the gems feel better cause as Garnet straight up says they need him to be a leader to them. After which we see steven take a much more active role in gem stuff

>wanting food is not a characer trait
You said all he wants to do is be good, but then you want to ignore when he has more specific goals in an episode?

Most of the things you tried to get around here steven has specific episode on
>>
>>83151541
more like face of a low budget Dr.seus film
>>
>>83151503
Well it is great you are so wise and know exactly where characters are going to go, doesn't change you are wrong by saying she wouldn't. In fact now it makes you extra dumb
>>
Honsetly with all these depressing characters steven deals with he have to stop being happy boy all the time.I like that steven took a head butt from jasper and didnt break a tear
>>
>>83140912
It's the ears I hate more then anything.
>>
>>83151648
>Saying that she wouldn't
Saying that she wouldn't what? I don't even understand what you are trying to say
>>
>>83140912
He contributes nothing and his design is fucking awful.
>>
>>83140912
He's mean spirited and his hair is dumb. I think he's hated too much though, clearly just a kid looking for attention in the wrong manner.
>>
>>83151882
He is such a tumblr character.
>>
The human characters are all awful. They're like the nameless friends of the middle daughter in any sitcom ever.
>>
>>83151590
No, Steven is sad because he wants to care but is unable to
Yeah but Stevens reaction to getting the powers is a new power? How about that?
Maybe I can have fun with this?
Saving earth and making peace are goals but not motivations the only reason Steven wants this is because he wants to be good
We have one episode that hints at it and then the concept is completely dropped forever
Having one episode about something and then having 20 episodes that proove that wrong must mean something
>>
>>83151791
It's the cherry on the shit sundae that is his character.
>>
File: tumblr_n5jd0lMjtl1rfwfq9o1_500.jpg (48 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5jd0lMjtl1rfwfq9o1_500.jpg
48 KB, 469x463
ronaldo's true design
>>
>>83149925
Good, fuck that autist and the autist who voices him
>>
>>83152032
Oh I agree he's a shit character, but I just hate those ears I can't unhate it. I'm totally that guy who will always say you have a shit hair style if you have it. Even if you're a good guy part of me will always hate you for that haircut as long as you have it.
>>
>>83152180
he sounds like a disney channal character.
>>
Alittle off topic but i wanted to watch a video.And a ad for LGBT came up that ended with dont smoke...........what does it suppose to mean ?
>>
>>83152018
>wants to
oh so I guess you could say that is some type of goal, that he is able to learn about his mother why she was so great, use her power and fill her place. Glad we agree

>Yeah but Stevens reaction to getting the powers is a
You didn't prove anything I said wrong, those are still two examples of him training and steven has still shown want to gain more powers and be able to control them. We even see he becomes incredibly sad when he loses his healing spit, these are things that mater to him

>Steven wants this is because he wants to be good
Already explained why you are bullshitting by over simplifying. You could boil down the most complex motivation to they are doing this to be good. If you really need someone to explain to you the motivation behind someone living on earth wanting to save it and everyone they care about on it then you might be retarded

>We have one episode that hints at it and then the concept is completely dropped forever
> After which we see steven take a much more active role in gem stuff

>Having one episode about something
So it doesn't count when it happens cause it is not the most central motivation to his entire life
>>
>>83152096
He's just a fucking kid, the poor fucker is allowed to be awkward and passionate about stupid meaningless shit.
I'm sure he'll "straighten up" and kill every little quirk about himself so he can manage the fry hut just the way daddy says it should be run, and blow his brains out at fifty.
>>
>>83140912
Reminds me of a friend that is extremely unhappy most of the time just because he wants to pretend to be something he's not.
>>
>>83151046
What, did rad and groovy make a comeback?
>>
>>83152221
He might as well be one, nowadays.
>>
>>83152334
I never discussed goals, goals are limitless. The important part are motivations
No Steven isn't motivated to become strong, loosing a cool toy isn't the same as becoming motivated to become strong
The song says it pearl wants to protect earth because of the memory of rose not because she wants to be good, garnet wants to protect t earth because she is free to be herself here
Garnet wants to protect earth because she was born in earth and earth is fun
Hell petridot wants to protect earth because she likes Steven
Lapis gives the tiniest shit about earth but has nowhere to go
Steven wants to be good, I'm sure that he also wants to protect others as a second motivation which doesnt make him a any better nor does it add more depth or dimension to him
Dipper from gravity falls has motivation. He is selfish, he is curious, he is willing to sacrifice a little bit of himself and others to know more
Every character in gravity falls has motivation, every character minus Wendy is allowed to fuck up too
Steven universe doesn't have real characters. Garnet never fucks up, Ruby fucks up and Ruby a shit
Pearl fucks up once and then never stops fucking up
Amethyst is the fuck up so instead she should do something really good because that's the equivalent
Steven fucks up but never hurts anyone along the way so it doesn't count
Petridot doesnt fuck up either
Listen I like music, I like character dynamics and I like the cool gadgets that show up from time to time but it doesn't make Steven universe a good show even tho from time to time it's enjoyable
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.