[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>/co/ suddenly hates Watchmen what the hell happened? why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10
File: 960[1].jpg (54 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
960[1].jpg
54 KB, 960x540
>/co/ suddenly hates Watchmen
what the hell happened?
why has there been such widespread hate recently?
>>
I don't know what you're talking about, but I've always had ambivalent feelings about Watchmen.

The fact that it's impossible to talk about the comic if you're not fawning all over it has made me resent it a little bit though.
>>
>>83028720
Eh, it's just people sucking John's dick. I expect that when the poor guy who has to continue this storyline inevitably drops the ball things will be back to normal.
>>
>>83028720
Welcom to Johnsfags
They are just rabid fanboys that will jump on everything Johns does and do everything to justify it.
>>
>>83028720
/co/ doesn't hate Watchmen itself. People are just hating on how its getting whore out lately, see Before Watchmen, and how DC is apparently written by people that haven't read it and only know about Manhattan through memes, see Manhattan messing with universal forces in main DC and causing shit like 10 years being stolen from it.
>>
Lemme tell you senpai.

Marvel.
>>
>>83029372
what does Marvel have to do with this?
>>
We don't hate watchmen at all.

It's just a problem of people claiming we are mad about the rebirth shit because we consider it a sacred cow instead of the real reason and think those people are saying that don't like watchmen
>>
File: file.png (700 KB, 600x555) Image search: [Google]
file.png
700 KB, 600x555
>>83029439
They're not happy that DC managed to incorporate Watchmen into the Universe in a meaningful, cool way.

They're still salty they stole Angela and ended up with:
>>
>>83029372
WAAAAAAH ABLOO ABLOO MARVEL DID THIS
>>
File: file.png (26 KB, 120x135) Image search: [Google]
file.png
26 KB, 120x135
>>83029463
Please be civil.
>>
>>83029459
>incorporate watchmen into the Universe in a meaningful, cool way.
>WAAHH ALL COMICS ARE GRIMDARK BECAUSE OF WATCHMEN AM I META YET
how do people even defend Johns in this day and age
>>
I love Watchman, it's Johns who is shit.
>>
I dont hate it, I just dont consider it a sacred cow. Its a fantastic story in itself but the underlying affect it had on people who dont read comics (see: Zack Snyder) was not good for the industry

>>83029530
>>83029540
You niggers, hes criticing retards like Snyder, not Watchmen itself, he said that himself
>>
>>83029560
You can't expect turds to understand/appreciate diamonds.
>>
>>83029560
So he is critizing himself? Since Johns did a lot of edgy stupid stuff during his career

>nah it's fine when he does that because reasons
>>
>>83029560
I know what he's criticizing, it's just poorly done and poorly implemented. It's meta in a retarded way.

I hate edgy shit and Synder as well m8
>>
>>83029599
Im sure he is in some ways. People do grow and develop you know? They dont remain stagnant. Hes not saying that he himself is one above and that he never did wrong

Also its pretty clear theres a difference between people like Johns and Smyder
>>
>>83029639
I'll believe it when I see it
>>
File: mfw.png (76 KB, 292x200) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
76 KB, 292x200
>>83029459
I was fine with Angela being shifted to Mahvel, but her backstory is retarded nontheless.
It's almost as if Mahvel doesn't want anymore all the judaic/satanic stuff it created in the past decades.
>>
>>83029714
Don't you know? Judeo-Christian religions are offensive.
>>
>>83029778

inshallah, habibi
>>
>>83029778
just like DC considering now the Spectre works for Manhattan
>>
>>83028796
Wait what? I've been out of the loop for about a month now, fill me in?
>>
>>83029560
Ok, is DC gonna cancel all it's edgy comics now?
>>
>>83030153
I doubt they can survive without Batman
Not that I put it behind Johns to trash one of their few succesful franchises out of spite
>>
>>83029372
>5th post in is already companywars
Why so insecure?
>>
>>83029560
>"You niggers, hes criticing retards like Snyder, not Watchmen itself, he said that himself"
No he didnt you crummy retard, the closest he has said is that he really like'Watchmen' and 'BvS'
>>
>>83028720
Why on earth do you care? If you like something, like it.
I enjoy the things I enjoy, regardless of the opinions of young people on internet forums.

I do pop by here to hear about new stuff, though not as often as I used to, as all I see is moaning and complaining.
>>
>>83029966
The leaks about DC Rebirth's issue indicates that they directly say that dr. manhattan basically stole 10 years from the DC universe, creating the New 52.
>>
>>83030662
No, he literally said in a post-spoiler interview about Rebirth that he thinks some people took the wrong message away from it
Hes a high ranking member of a company, of course he has to support the product when directly asked about it. He was shitting on Snyser when he was aaying that he thinks some people misunderstand Auperman as well
>>
>>83029778

Exclusivism is, yes.
>>
>>83028720
Did you think "/co/ntrarians" was just a meme?
>>
>>83030805
I was on /co/ some years ago. Had a long period of not reading comics and returned.
I remember when the mem was :/co/ is love.
This is so fucking sad.
>>
>>83030788
"Pulling shit from my ass by reading into what isnt there"

fag
>>
>>83030966
>Johns believes, correctly, that the core message of Watchmen was grossly misunderstood and manipulated in decades following its release. The comic, Johns believes, was a warning not to become disillusioned with the values that have defined DC from the beginning: justice, legacies, epic storytelling, love. Watchmen was not an instruction manual for writing contemporary hero comics.

https://www.inverse.com/article/15992-dc-s-first-rebirth-comic-attacks-new-52-changes-regains-lost-heroes

Fag
>>
>>83031024
Its cute you think that means something but it really doesn't. Not to mention he's a big fan of the film.
>>
>>83031024
that really doesn't sound like an affront to Snyder in any way, al he is doing is criticising writers who use it as a catalogue. Didnt Before Watchmen happen under him as well?
>>
File: Kingdom_Come_TP.jpg (68 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
Kingdom_Come_TP.jpg
68 KB, 400x600
>>83031024
And i'm sure dragging Watchmen into the main continuity was the only possible way to call such attitude out, and nothing similar was ever tried before, right? And modern comics are as edgy as ever, for sure! Calling out these '80s influences isn't just necessary, it's OBLIGATORY! Surely, it must be an artistic decision that has nothing to do with trying to milk the frachise

Like, imagine if Watchmen itself was written with actual Batmen, Questions and shit instead of just satirizations of said characters. That's how silly (supposedly, none of us has read this shit) Rebirth seems to be
>>
>>83031088
>al he is doing is criticising writers who use it as a catalogue
And Snyder is clearly the worst case of this in recent memory

>>83031130
Its not getting dragged into main continuity outside of Manhattan
>Batman
Oh so you dont actually know anything about the history of Watchmen, okay
>>
>>83031208
Hardly, regardless your opinions on the film its clear that Snyder takes more inspiration from Miller than Moore.
>>
>>83028784
>>83028795
I don't get it though. I like Johns, and I like Watchmen. A lot.
Everyone should calm the fuck down. It seriously boggles my mind that people are so damn upset.
>>
>>83031208
>Its not getting dragged into main continuity outside of Manhattan
How do you know? Again, none of us as read this shit. The smiley pin alone already is out of place, even if we want to accept Manhattan

>Batman
>Oh so you dont actually know anything about the history of Watchmen, okay
Rorscharch's crusade can at times recall that of Batman, Nite Owl could be considered a not-Batman as much as he could be a not-Beetle... it's all bits and pieces, what did i get wrong? Just named a character
>>
File: 1358732754130.jpg (224 KB, 1325x312) Image search: [Google]
1358732754130.jpg
224 KB, 1325x312
Can't you just appreciate a little bit of crossover stuff?
>>
STRONG TOGETHER
UNITED FOREVER
THEY'RE THE BEST FRIENDS
>>
>>83031355
>Watch out!

It's funny because the comic already started with the puns
>I think we're being... watched
>>
>>83031295
I agree with you on the crusade thing but
>Nite Owl could be considered a not-Batman as much as he could be a not-Beetle
How?
Outside of the tech Bats and Beetle/Owl are barely comparable
Owl is a legacy hero who was never a vengeful and is pretty friendly. He retired, he gave up.
>>
File: 955572-the_evil_owlman.jpg (108 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
955572-the_evil_owlman.jpg
108 KB, 1920x1080
>>83031377
>Dressed as a nocturnal, flying animal, with cape
>His gimmick is gadgets
>Has a not-Batwing

Feels pretty not-Batman
Again, just bits and pieces
>>
>>83031437
I'll give you the first one but
>His gimmick is gadgets
>Has a not-Batwing aka has a not-Beetle
Are both pretty not-Beetle.
>>
>>83028720
We got redpilled on Moore.
>>
>>83031024
As I keep saying the metaphore works far better if its somebody from outside both universes trying to make the main universe more like the Watchmen universe.

Writers missed the point of watchmen and tried to emulate it the universe manipulator should represent them not the comic itself.
>>
>>83031490
Wasn't Watchmen originally supposed to have characters from Charlton Comics but they had to be replaced with original one with similar appearance and powers?
>>
>>83031490
I see him as an amalgam, what can i say. None of the characters need to be a 1on1 parallel
>>
>>83031529
Yes, Dr. Manhattan was Captain Atom, Rorschach was Question, Nite Owl was Blue Beetle, etc. Hence why Morrison made the Pax Americana universe in multiversity a watchmen homage using those guys.
>>
>remember thos comics you grew up with during the 80s, 90s and 00s??
>they are alll edgy shit! have some quip and Flash rogue now instead!

and people defend this
>>
>>83031622
He never said that tho, stop putting words in mouths
>>
>>83031088
You do realize Snyder loves what he thinks Watchmen represents and tried to bring it to DCEU. He has said multiple times he likes the idea Superheroes existing in real world, burdened by real world consequences and story being very reactionary to those themes. He grossly misunderstood Watchmen just like the writers that Morrison throughout his work criticized or Johns is probably trying to do with Rebirth.
>>
>>83031490
Moore said he's supposed to be sort of amalgam of all these types of characters.
>>
>>83031295
the smiley pin is there because the audience associates it with Watchmen, it doesn't need to mean anything else
>>
>>83031764
Yeah, considering its the last page and it wont get followed up for awhile, I assume its there for metatextual purposes
>>
>>83031653
that's the underlying message

if you liked the "edgy" stuff you are the problem and real fans are the ones that only like campy stuff and campy heroes
>>
>>83031622
>btw don't forget to buy the next epic chapter of DK3: The Master Race!
>>
Manhattan being behind the new 52: Is this real or speculation? Because that is fanfiction dot net level retardation and I wouldn't put it passed Geoff Johns.
>>
>>83032080
it's true
Johns even said that Manhattan is the next big bad guy and he wouldn't be simply defeated by Batman and company punching him
>>
>>83032080
But that's a fun idea is it not?

If Johns had made an original cast from an original world out to be behind the new 52 then no one would have flipped their shit like this. People would have just taken it whether or not they'd like it or not. It still wouldn't have been this manner of outrage some are having.

But what's the differences really? The world of Watchmen already has its set of characters and interesting aspects to both said characters and the world itself. It's something already established that already has its own fans, and just like "main DC" has its established world and characters.
And this is a chance for them to complement eachother in this story that branches over to some extent. And through the nature of the story we'll see different aspects of not only main DC, what with the new and the old, but also different aspects of Watchmen as well. And we'll see these different aspects complement eachother.

Whether or not this will be executed well or not remains to be seen. But it is interesting and exciting. And I honestly see no reason whatsoever why one would be so feverishly against it.
>>
>>83032243
People take these comics way too seriously.
>>
>>83031656
>"He grossly misunderstood Watchmen"
People keep saying this but i dont see it, thematically and visually only thing that major changed was no squid.
>>
>>83033006
It's pretty clear from interviews that he did.
>>
>>83034312
examples? because all i can tell is he has trouble putting his ideas into words.
>>
>>83028745
This.
>>
>>83028720
It's just marvelfags shilling for disney because they'll never have a comic that comes anywhere near the absolute perfection that is the watchmen.

Just ignore them OP. They're said and pathetic lives aren't worth fussing over.
>>
It's how Watchmen is being used that upsets people.

Much like the "before" Watchmen stories, it's completely unneeded. Watchmen was supposed to be it's own thing, you didn't need to connect it to anything else.
>>
>>83035004
Watchmen itself was unneeded. It's just a fictional story. No one "needs" any of this.
>>
>>83030833
/co/ WAS love. Not anymore. "Love" got seen as "tumblr" by the other boards (particularly /pol/, /v/, and /tv/) so they made it their holy mission to rid /co/ of all of its "tumblr."

And now here we are.
>>
>>83030833

Read back on old threads.

/co/ was never love. We were just better than some other boards. By now the worst boards have leaked in more, and amplified the most negative elements.
>>
>>83035004
>Watchmen was supposed to be it's own thing, you didn't need to connect it to anything else.
The same can be said for tons upon tons of comicbooks names and franchises under both DC and Marvel as well as other publishers.

But connecting them to other worlds to write a story with them can still be fun.
>>
>>83035248
Yeah but none of those comics were as literally perfect and transcendental and influential and post-modern as Watchmen. Watchmen is the greatest comic ever made and any reference of any kind to it is basically the equivalent of raping the medium and shouldn't be allowed.
>>
>>83035248
How many of those names and franchises were specifically built as meta-commentary and authomatically lose value when removed from such context?

Watchmen has to be separated from mainstream cape community because it was specifically designed to defy cape logic and tropes
Inserting Watchmen into main continuity would be like, say, writing an Alice in Wonderland crossover with American McGee's Alice, or coming up with a sequel where Wonderland is a 100% magical land and Alice is it's literal heroine
Oh wait...
>>
>>83033006
That's because you read it with the same mindset as Snyder.

You didn't read it as a deconstruction of the superhero mythos. You read it as you would any modern edgy cape book.
>>
File: 796.jpg (27 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
796.jpg
27 KB, 625x626
>>83035357
Man, i can't wait for the time where it will be officially taboo to take Watchmen seriously

Thanks, DC!
>>
>>83035380

I feel the same way about Lobo.

He was made as parody. I always felt the strength of the joke got diminished the moment they started using him in the DCU proper.
>>
>>83035497
this, but in full sincerity

shoulda stopped beating that horse when it died
>>
>>83035100
What a bunch of dickfags
>>
>>83035100
co is love was always a meme, a joke about how we're more open to newfags than other boards.

I still can't believe how many took it to heart.
>>
>>83035497
This but with sincerity

I'm still waiting for Miller to continue to rape his Batman with that ASBAR sequel so people will cry about it
>>
File: giphy.gif (3 MB, 749x395) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
3 MB, 749x395
>>83030750
>>
>>83035570
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKoZMke594A
>>
>>83035100
Christ, losers like you actually took that dumb meme seriously.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.