[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is George Takei the Neil Degrasse Tyson of entertainment/com
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19
Is George Takei the Neil Degrasse Tyson of entertainment/comic books? How is Marvel concerned about sales in China cringe worthy? China Uncensored did a video explaining why Marvel may have cast a white woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xP45IXbObU

This is based on evidence and presented in a rational manner. The argument George is making is an appeal to emotion.
>>
>>82746514
yeah but he's right here
race changing for anything is retarded shit
>>
It's okay to race change to blacks but we can't hire any Asians.

He's right.
>>
>>82746548
Even for a potential additional $100 million? That's a retarded reason?
>>
no, Takei isn't annoying and pedantic
>>
>>82746514
>>82746548

they cast a white woman, in tibet, wearing traditional tibetan monk robes, doing a tibetan form of martial arts, while Dr Strange spins tibetan singing bowls.

and then said she was "celtic" and in no way asian related.
>>
I don't know if he's right about her being cast because she's white but he is right that the China excuse is bullshit
>>
Real talk though if they were to cast Takei as the Ancient One I might have been okay with that.
>>
>>82746514
>Is George Takei the Neil Degrasse Tyson of entertainment/comic books?

I don't understand this sentence.
>>
China went to see Iron Man 3 in droves to see Mandarin.

They were more pissed off than us he wasn't in it.
>>
>>82746635
NDT is a huge faggot who hates fun so I don't understand it either.

And the new Cosmos was shitty.
>>
If you want to play the race card, then the only actor they can cast as The Ancient One would have to be Tibetan or you're saying all Asians are interchangeable.
>>
>>82746639
No they weren't. You're confusing Chinese people with Americans who call themselves Asian.
>>
>>82746635

neil degrasse tyson points out scientific inaccuracies in everything he watches, especially things space related.

and it was funny at first, now its just annoying and he goes out of his way to do it (like saying bb8 in the new star wars wouldn't be able to roll on sand or some bullshit)
>>
>>82746514
Then, why didn't Marvel just change who the Ancient One is for the MCU?

Make some situation where the Ancient One doesn't have to be Tibetan, and can be some new age, morrisonfag wet dream?
>>
>>82746626
Nothing in his argument argues against the China issue. The Ancient One is Tibetian. Tibet is a sensitive issue. The issue if the character, not the place it's being depicted.

>>82746639
And yet the people pissed off about Dr Strange praised that subversion of expectations and calls it a win for diversity.
>>
>>82746688
>Tibetan
You mean Chinese. Unless it's the 1940's again.
>>
>>82746514
It shouldn't fucking matter what race the actor is, as long as said actor doesn't give a shitty performance.
>>
>>82746588
Yes it is.
>>
This whole fucking issue is making me mad. I would accept the argument that it's white washing if they would just make a stronger argument than the argument for appealing to the CCP. Instead the argument is an appeal to emotion and just expecting you to agree.
>>
>>82746575
I can see this to degree yes, but I'm starting to think this problem is being overstated a bit. I actually do see some asians in marvel's films (including this one) They race swapped Strange in Gotham, the race swapped some archie characters into Asians, the got some asians in a lot of the X-men films, and they got some in Agents of Shield. Is that still not enough or is the damage from dragon ball, ironman 3, and the last airbender too great?
>>
>>82746712
Ah. And the other guy? I only know him from being the asian trekkie.
>>
"It's ok when you race change as long as you race change to a white person" - /co/
>>
Anyone angry at Tilda's casting is just a sexist trying to keep women from having important roles in films. I like that there's a female character who gets to be the wise teacher for once instead of just the love interest.
>>
>>82746746
Xi Jingping pls.
>>
>>82746698
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/03/business/iron-man-china/
>>
>>82746791

thats what he is.
hes gotten kinda more famous in the internet age just by being openly gay and asian and old?
>>
Goerge Takei is insufferable these days. The guy is on a crusade about something or other fairly regularly.
>>
>>82746796
There are plenty of people on /co/ who believe there's nothing wrong with black Wally, for instance, so I'd imagine those are the same people.
>>
>>82746796
Thing is white countries and white people don't have the same problems PoC's do. In Into Darkness, Khan was a white person based on fears of negative backlash about showing a Sikh, and from progressives of all people.
>>
>>82746844
Okay, so, he is nothing to comic books then? What is OP complaining about.
>>
>>82746866
I wouldn't even mind the crusades if 90% of his shares hadn't turned into clickbait. Something tells me he doesn't even access his Facebook account anymore.
>>
File: Constantine - Eh.jpg (202 KB, 910x822) Image search: [Google]
Constantine - Eh.jpg
202 KB, 910x822
>cast an asian, people bitch about stereotypes
>don't cast an asian, people bitch about whitewashing
>>
>>82746780
So are companies suppose to now be agents of social development, improvement and promotion, rather than tools to make money as is their intended nature by design? Isn't the former suppose to be the job of government and the people?
>>
>>82746514
People need to make up their minds whether it's ok or not to change characters races. Equality means equal people.
>>
This is difficult. On the one hand I love Tilda and think it's going to be a great performance by her, on the other hand it's starting to seem more like Marvel(or Disney, depending on how you look at it), are afraid that American audiences won't want to see a movie without a majority of white people in it.

When they cast ScarJo as Makoto I just shrugged it off as them keeping their go to actress around, but now it's starting to seem really stupid that they just don't hire a fucking Asian-American actor to play the Asian character.
>>
It wouldn't matter if it was this one movie: it's shitty because hey, Tilda is pretty great and she will probably do a good job. But there isn't a lot of Asian roles, they are hella typecast, and it sucks that the same shit arguments keep being used when its pretty obvious Asians are being excluded.
>>
>>82746514
China is mega racist my man, and they have a big white people fetish. A lot of people in America are under the misconception that only white americans are racist and are incredulous that America is actually fairly above average when it comes to tolerance.
>>
>>82746899
Well, I'm pretty certain he never ran his facebook, but he likely dictates the subject matter, but yeah it got hard to follow with all the clickbait and politics.
>>
>>82746955
Isn't that true of Japan as well? Aren't all the anime characters deigned after white people?
>>
>>82746835
Thanks for proving my point idiot.
>>
>>82746989
Nope. That's a myth. There isn't actually a single anime character that looks white, with the exceptions of western characters who are actually white in setting of course.
>>
>>82746989
Japan is breaking that mold. It's starting to get pretty mixed.
>>
>>82746949
I think they were banking on people being happy about it because tumblr loves her.

They didn't do their oppression calculations right. Despite Asians kicking ass in every other field they still fall lower than white women in movies.
>>
>>82746514
Who?
>>
>cringeworthy
Huh, so even elderly men develop the social media vernacular when they spend enough time on it
That's kind of interesting.
>>
>>82746514
Not gonna lie I was disappointed when I saw this although I think Tilda is a great actress.

Honestly I would rather keep Tilda and recast Strange tbqh familia.
>>
>>82746949
>on the other hand it's starting to seem more like Marvel(or Disney, depending on how you look at it), are afraid that American audiences won't want to see a movie without a majority of white people in it.

They're probably not wrong. Not in in the sense of racism, but like how white people probably aren't watching stuff like Empire in large numbers.
>>
>>82747067
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXHEMj1XORM
>>
>>82747058
Should've just got Mickey Rooney to play her.
>>
>>82746900
1 of those actually gives an asian actor a job
>>
>>82747088
But Empire is good! It's about awful people and how they fuck up their own goddamn lives and the lives of those around them.
>>
>>82746900
Even though I think asians claiming victim is laughable considering their superiority in terms of socioeconomic status and no general ill feelings in the US against them, it seems to me that they generally think that while both are bad, the stereotyping would be preferable to the whitewashing.
>>
>>82747110
and its comic accurate

it really shows the hypocrisy of /co/ that it's ok to not be comic accurate only when its for more white people
>>
>>82747058
How many privilege points do Chinese people have? On one hand they were exploited by Western powers and oppressed for being Chinese, on the other hand they commit some pretty brutal actions themselves, like culture genocide, mass starvation, ect.
>>
>>82747151
>superiority in terms of socioeconomic status
lol do you think that just happened? that they were given that status or something?

Also the no general ill feelings in the US against them is retarded, there are plenty of cases of racism against Asians and not just the "positive racism" or bullshit like that
>>
>>82746635
Some people, even on social media, have grown agitated by his insistence on giving his "expert" opinion on things outside of his field.
It's also crazy at how much exposure he gets for being the black science man, but I don't think anyone has actually changed opinions on that front - you either hated it from the beginning or you didn't.
>>
>>82747110
>The appeal may have something to do with additional scenes added into the Chinese version of the film. The extra four minutes of footage feature product placement for a Chinese-branded milk drink and two new characters, Dr Wu and his assistant, played by top Chinese actors Wang Xueqi and Fan Bingbing,
They try to even it out
>>
>>82746893

you could read the link?
but George Takei, and many others are mad about Tilda Swinton (the whitest woman ever) being cast as the The Ancient One, a Tibetan Monk who trains Dr Strange.

Marvel claims they made the character "Celtic" because they didn't want to piss of China by saying that Tibet is a real place. Except they didn't make her Celtic (as far as we can tell), they merely made her a white Tibetan monk.
>>
File: Egg Fu.jpg (57 KB, 389x427) Image search: [Google]
Egg Fu.jpg
57 KB, 389x427
>>82747155
>>82747110
>found the racists
>>
>>82746631
Could he pull off the beard?
>>
>>82746635
Meme celebrity.
>>
>>82746949
>When they cast ScarJo as Makoto I just shrugged it off as them keeping their go to actress around, but now it's starting to seem really stupid that they just don't hire a fucking Asian-American actor to play the Asian character.

that movie is being done by Dreamworks and Paramount, aka no relation to Disney/Marvel.
>>
>>82747132
Yeah but people see it as a "black show" so they think it's not meant for them, at least if you look at audience percentages. It's a weird phenomenon.
>>
>>82747211
The argument that they cast a white woman to avoid Tibet reference is null and void if she is shown AS Tibetan. Now THAT'S a counter argument, but one based on more information.
>>
>>82747187
Shut the fuck up. If you're seriously going to try to convince us that Asians are a disadvantaged group in the US, then take your identity politics bullshit and kill yourself, m8.
>>
>>82746900
This argument is simple ALWAYS ignore the first fucking group.

Nothing good comes from listening to them.
>>
>>82746989

no, we (americans) just assume they're white since they have fairer skin tones, and we generally think asians = yellow.
>>
>>82747218
its racist to be comic accurate?
>>
I am Asian and I would fuck Tilda Swinton
>>
File: 7d7ec21387f6f8cc95fcc04c3047f6d8.jpg (412 KB, 1161x1600) Image search: [Google]
7d7ec21387f6f8cc95fcc04c3047f6d8.jpg
412 KB, 1161x1600
>>82747029
Actually, you're both wrong. The Japanese don't really seem to give a shit about the "race" thing in anime because it's not real and they aren't modeled after real people, races, or ethnicities unless it's explicitly necessary for the viewer.

No, really; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DhoBuU1Dtc

Japan's got it's issues, but it's people are pretty fucking based.
>>
>>82747285
You haven't seen enough self-insert hentai where the men are yellowish and the women are still pinkish with bright pink nipples.
>>
>>82747274
>Don't have a dissenting opinion, or I'll whine about it! Racism is dead, Fresh off the Boat is a sitcom now!
>>
>>82747274
>disadvantaged group in the US
When the fuck did I say that?

Ok just answer this question. Yes or no. Do you think Asians in the US ever feel the effects of racism ever in any field. Just a simple yes or no.
>>
>>82746514
Takei seems absolutely right here. I remember Carlyle's interview in which he detailed the problems with casting a Tibetan Actor because of China, but he completely neglected to mention that it was going to be Nepal, so it wouldn't even matter.
>>
>>82746900
People don't care about stereotpyes anymore. Remember they also wanted Iron Fist to be Asian because he's a kung fu man.
>>
>>82747309
Sometimes.
>>
File: 1359971724666.png (10 KB, 408x286) Image search: [Google]
1359971724666.png
10 KB, 408x286
Isn't it racist and sexist to say that a white woman couldn't be a Tibetan monk?
>>
>>82747256
>so they think it's not meant for them

Funny how this mindset it supported by progressives.
>>
>>82747412
So you were ok with the Mandarin change too?
>>
>>82746514
>casting tilda swinton is cringeworthy
George Takei is dead to me.
>>
>>82746514
>Is George Takei the Neil Degrasse Tyson of entertainment/comic books?
By that do you mean someone who is nearly universally well-liked and respected in their field?
>>
>>82747425
You sir. I like the way you think.
>>
>>82747459
Nah, they should have cast a Chinese guy. They just shouldn't have made it completely comics accurate. They should have worked with a good dramatic Chinese actor to come up with a portrayal of the character that isn't an outdated, offensive stereotype.
>>
>>82746885
the Khan change was retarded, and even more racist than the original casting because it implied that a white guy would be the pinacle of human evolution.
>>
>>82747425
It would be if they were changing a white woman to be Tibetan.
>>
>>82747353
>strawmaning
Nobody claimed racism is dead. Just that it's hardly an issue in an average Asian person's daily life. If it was, they wouldn't be complaining about stupid shit like stereotyping in movies.

>>82747354
I'm sure occasionally some do. And it's no more severe discrimination than the kid in elementary school who gets thick glasses, or the kid who's scrawny and gets picked on a bit.
>>
>>82747454
There are some aspects of cultural appropriation that are real (like ceremonial garb being worn as a costume), but yeah. It's largely dumb when you start saying you can't eat another culture's food or sing their music without being racist.
>>
>>82747354
>Do you think Asians in the US ever feel the effects of racism ever in any field.
No
>>
>>82746688
No they wouldn't.
Just as it wouldn't be a problem in any way for someone from Norway to play a Swedish character.
>>
>>82746614
http://www.davidmeyercreations.com/mysteries-of-history/celtic-mummies-in-china/

If Doctor Strange, a european, can go to Tibet to learn Tibetan traditions, why is it so weird for another european to have already done this?

Yes, I know that the comic character is canonically Tibetan, but the movie character is still just as plausible as Strange is. I'm not remotely coming at this from "white guy wants to see white faces" either, I'm a solid devotee of 70's kung-fu flicks (come to think of it, Bolo Yeung would have been awesome for this).

But the studio said "Tibet is a touchy subject, avoid it. It's not in Tibet, he's not Tibetan, think of something else" and that's all it is. I was okay with Fury, I was okay with Heimdall, and I'm okay with this.
>>
This nigga is acting like they're denying work to asian people.

The actors aren't the only people involved in the movie, you know.
>>
>>82746514
Steve Ditko would probably agree with Takei, but probably also not give a damn about the movie.
>>
Neil Degrasse Tyson ruins fun.
Takei elevates the work he participates in.
>>
>>82746930
They're making hundreds of millions regardless. Having an Asian play an Asian role isn't going to cost them $100 million dollars. Whatever 'loss' they do suffer is negligible anyway. I can't believe you're defending that as the reason anyway, talk about being a complete fucking shill.
>>
>>82747612
>Takei elevates the work he participates in.

What does he participate in?
>>
>>82747532
is that really what it implies? isn't Khan and his people a eugenics experiment? though it is retarded since it's supposed to be the same continuity from before but diverting at the death of Papa Kirk. Khan should still be a Nazi Sihk.
>>
>>82747249
Oops, well my bad.

But you have admit that Scar is the go to actress for female lead action movies these days.
>>
>>82747285
Asians are not yellow, they have skin as white as any white person.
>>
>>82747425
From one Buddhist to my faggoty brothers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pema_Ch%C3%B6dr%C3%B6n
>>
>>82747573
Because it leads to whitewashing. Takeo is right, this isn't an example of the Tibetian culture being celebrated this is an asian role being handed to a white person.
>>
>>82747532
>the pinnacle of human evolution.
That's the exact opposite of Khan in TOS. Augments went against evolution, being bread to be superior to all humans. Evolution had no part in Khan
>>
>>82747611
This
>>
>>82746599
Is that sarcasm cause he is
>>
If you are ok with this, then you should be ok when they change a white guy to a black guy to appeal to a wider demographic.

It's that simple.
>>
>>82747654
A company will always want to make more money than less money. It's a simple fact that can't be denied.
>>
>>82747713
They have a distinct yellowish-brown tone, dude.
They're not Simpsons yellow but it's a clear difference from white skin.
>>
>>82747790
They did, Nick Fury.
>>
>>82747550
>>82747537
are you niggas fucking serious
>>82747808
Yeah and he's saying that if you had a problem with Nick Fury and not this then you are a hypocrite
>>
File: 1452420813732.jpg (251 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1452420813732.jpg
251 KB, 1280x720
>>82747801
???
>>
>>82747790
Stop assuming /co/ is a hivemind.
>>
>>82747667
He was the time-travel guy's father in Heroes.
And...um...he gave a guy a handjob on the Howard Stern show...
>>
>>82747838
Always wanted to bang her.
>>
>>82747841
I'm not. I'm just saying that if you don't like the white -> black change and you are ok with this change, then you're a hypocrite.

Addressing each individual.
>>
>>82747836
Not if you also had a problem with this race change. But don't worry, keep pretending like /co/ is one person and picking out the opinions you don't like from each thread.
>>
>>82747845
Reading it in his voice was mildly entertaining
>>
>>82747790
Good thing I'm not okay with either.
>>
>>82747320
They have the phrase "shikata ga nai"(It can't be helped) really ingrained into their vocabulary and culture. If something unfortunate happens they just say "shikata ga nai" and move on instead of worrying about it. Also

>Why do you think anime makes characters look like white people instead of japanese people?
>It's so you can tell the characters apart, right?
kek
>>
>>82747885
But who in this thread likes one and not the other?I've not seen that sentiment expressed at all. Contrary to what you may think, most people on /co/ don't dislike race swaps because they're racist. They dislike it because it fundamentally changes a character they like.
>>
>>82747838
I can see the difference from the thumbnail, anon
>>
This casting does bother me because it just feels weird.
>>
>>82747801
depends. while it's easy to just assign a color to a race. Asians and whites come in an assortment of tones. there are probably whites and Asians with "yellow" skin.
>>
I find it hypocritical from Marvel considering how they keep touting themselves as the Champions of progressives, but show their true colors when it comes to pandering to the Chinese market. I don't care about race bending, but it's a bigger and a different thing than race bending, when it comes to a big company like Disney denying the existence of a persecuted country to gain acceptance to xenophobic views of another country.
>>
>>82747836
>if you had a problem with Nick Fury and not this then you are a hypocrite
What if I didn't have a problem with either?
Because Sam Jackson is awesome. And Tilda Swinton is awesome. And Idris Elba is awesome. And Ben Kingsley is awesome (though he's not technically Mandarin anyway).
>>
>>82747910
Not half as good as kiri-sute gomen.
>>
I love Tilda Swinton, but this casting is just fucked up.
>>
>>82747886
>Yeah and he's saying that if you had a problem with Nick Fury and not this then you are a hypocrite
>and not this
Keep not fully reading posts before replying
>>
>>82747346
that's more out of their values of beauty and this
>>82747320
race is such an abstract thing to begin with
>>
>>82747532
How is a white guy being the pinnacle of humanity more racist than any other color?
>>
>>82747968
I am. I just don't understand who they're directed at. They seem to assume that a sizeable amount of people on /co/ are cool with this race swap are also cool with other race swaps.
>>
>>82747747
>one post shuts down the entire debate
>nobody sees it
>>
>>82746635
It's a dumb comparison anyway. He's closer to the Bill Nye of nerd shit since he's a charlatan using his status to promote himself as an expert/leading voice and push his political agendas (general social justice shit in Takei's case, global warming in Nye's).
>>
>>82748047
are not*
>>
>>82747865
Because he's an asian he's a girl?
fucking racist
>>
>>82747933
This kind of progressiveness is all about lip service to begin with so they can do both.
>>
>>82746514
>blah blah blah
right or not (and i kinda think he is) i LIKE tilda swinton as an actress, and shes already played good roles as a man so fuck if i care
>>
>>82747999
>race is such an abstract thing to begin with
This is going to come off as bait and, ironically, kind of racist, but race seems to be a paradigm that pops up mostly in predominately white countries. Any other time you're just a foreigner and it's more about nationality than skin color or nose/eye shape.
>>
>>82748050

because it doesn't shut down anything.
its just an example of a white woman who became a buddhist, which really has nothing to do with the debate of CHANGING an asian person into a white one.
>>
>>82747941
then you're not a hypocrite. Good work anon keep it up
>>82748014
That's a matter of opinion, but one might say for the same reason that white pride is racist and black/asian/whatever pride isn't.
>>
>>82748150
I'm looking, and I don't see anything outright saying he was Asian.
>>
George is right full stop about Asian casting but I can also understand Marvel wanting to avoid the old Asian magic man cliché here. Kind of a damned if you do or don't situation really unless they made major changes to the origin. That said I like Tilda and look forward to seeing her in another magical comic book movie after Constantine and hope Marvel gives us Shang Chi or something for the Avengers.
>>
>>82748159
What if I don't mind Fury because I think it was genuinely just due to them liking the actor but I do potentially mind this because it seems politically driven rather than just casting the person they liked the most? End result is not the only thing here to consider, intent matters
>>
>>82748146
But this is pretty true in white countries too, you just dont' realize it.

Think about the type of racism Asians experience (minimal if any) to blacks (significant). Then think about which group has fully integrated into main US culture and which one still has not. Race is just a way to see difference at a glance. At the end of the day though it comes down to wanting to be near people who are culturally similar to you.
>>
>>82748199

he was born in Kamar-Taj, a hidden land high up in the Himalayans.
The Himalayans are a mountain range in Asia, so if someone is from there, they're Asian.
>>
>>82746514
Until I see the movie, I'll defend this under the idea that she's some kind of alien being. You don't cast a woman that androgynous as a character that is originally a man by accident.

Unless they did, and I'll take it all back.
>>
>>82747910
>They have the phrase "shikata ga nai"(It can't be helped) really ingrained into their vocabulary and culture. If something unfortunate happens they just say "shikata ga nai" and move on instead of worrying about it.

Stiff upper lip uh? Wonder if this is related to their nature as island nations.
>>
Well, he has a point.
>>
>>82748159
>one might say for the same reason that white pride is racist and black/asian/whatever pride isn't.
And they'd be wrong. White pride is celebrated by white supremacists. If you look at individual ethnic group celebrations, they are not racist. St. Patrick's day is not racist. Oktoberfest is not racist. Italian festivals are not racist, etc. Celebrating the CULTURE of a people is not racist. White pride COULD do that, but it's used most commonly as a legitimately racist rhetoric and so its use is corrupt. There is nothing wrong with white people celebrating their culture just like any other group.
>>
>>82748150
>CHANGING
Earth-199999 != Earth-616
We've been through this before. It's a different character in a different dimension. MCU Fury being black did not change comics Fury. It added Nick Jr, but did not retcon Ma Fury's boy. MCU Ancient One is not retconning 616 Ancient One to be a celtic woman.
>>
>>82747550
Are you retarded
>>
>>82748146
That's because white countries are the areas that actually have a bunch of races living together.
Everyone else values their own people too highly to allow such high numbers of outsiders inside - the exception is the UAE who need skilled workers to build and maintain their nation.
>>
>>82748260
Honestly, it was probably because of China. There's no way the Chinese government would let you put a Tibetan face on anything that'll see mainstream audiences.

And being close enough to tibetan would be an issue as well for the same reason. Honestly though, "Asians" coming from geoge tekai is hilarious. The chinese and japanese hate each other and asians are just as diverse and racist to one another as hispanics can be. To portray them all as one people is either ignorant dishonest or both.
>>
>>82746631
I love the guy, but he's a shit tier actor.
>>
>>82747230
Better than Swinton could.
...Maybe.
Someone shop the beard on to her. I honestly can't tell.
>>
>>82747713
But they do have Ching Chong eyes and buck teeth. That, sir or madam, is a fact.
>>
>>82746787
Dragon Ball had a lot of asians the only non asian was Goku a fucking Alien and Bulma
>>
>>82746614
> yfw Agatha Harkness will be played by Whoopi Goldberg.>>82746614
>>
File: 1453510413087.jpg (77 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1453510413087.jpg
77 KB, 690x460
>>82746514
>the Neil Degrasse Tyson of entertainment/comic books?

He's more like the Neil DeGrasse Tyson of social media

He doesn't have fucking shit to do with comic books
>>
>>82748576
The Neil Degrasse Tyson of Neil Degrasse Tyson.
>>
>>82748576
He auditioned for Spider-man on Broadway. Was pretty passionate about it, too.
>>
I feel sorry for the writer who shared his personal opinion on a podcast with his friends and started a shitstorm because people assumed he spoke for all of Marvel.
>>
>>82748459
This. Aside from the occasional cameo and commercial, dude just cannot roll with the big leagues nowadays.
>>
>>82746514
>China Uncensored
Anyone who believe in a word that dick says is a fucking moron
>>
File: ayy lmao.jpg (32 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmao.jpg
32 KB, 640x640
Does anyone else think it's a good casting because Tinda Swinton looks like a fucking alien?
>>
>>82746514

>Neil Degrasse Tyson

The faggot who thought he was being shocking by pointing out what parts of Star Wars were unrealistic as if people didn't grasp they were watching make beleive?
>>
>>82746940
Equality isn't that simple. There's equality of means and equality of outcomes; when means were deliberately denied, historically, it's not unreasonable to suggest outcomes should be compensated.

Imagine two runners in a race that's four laps long. Runner B is given hurdles for the first lap, while Runner A was not. After the first lap, neither Runner has hurdles. By lap four, would you say the whole race was equal?
>>
>>82746712

>(like saying bb8 in the new star wars wouldn't be able to roll on sand or some bullshit)

He was proven wrong on that anyway.
>>
>>82746514
>muh ayyjuns
Fuck that noise. If they hired an asian retards would complain about the "stereotypical asian wise master"

There is no pleasing these people. So just don't try

>>82748671
Maoist shitposter guy from youtube?
>>
>>82746514
George be fucking happy you got a part in star trek you flaming fuck.
>>
>>82746514

>George Takei

Oh fuck him. He posted some image with The Punisher next to that gay X-Men Wedding with "If you let your kids read THIS but don't let them read THIS" kind of shit implying people should be ashamed they let their kids read Punisher comics but don't let them read X-Men because of Northstar's faggot wedding when kids don't read Punisher anyway

And he's an even bigger dipshit for not having read either and not realizing the kind of sexual and violent shit in X-Men comics that aren't appropriate kids either. But because two gays get married on the cover and it's part of his group it's okay.
>>
>>82748697
Y'know...
all they have to do is say that the Ancient One is/was male and used dat SORCERER SUPREME magic to become androgynous because genderfluid and no one would be able to complain without looking like a cis oppressor.
>>
>>82748764
>Maoist shitposter guy
If you're referring to me, yes, yes I am one.
If you're talking about China Uncensored host, he's one of the most cringe inducing person I have ever seen. His humor is sleazy bar open mic level of bad, and he claims to love China and hate the government, which ironically shows how little he understand Chinese people.
>>
File: file.png (33 KB, 567x156) Image search: [Google]
file.png
33 KB, 567x156
>>82748730
In addition to being stuck up his own ass, he's wrong a lot
>>
>>82748719
but doesn't attempted equity simply result in modern inequality?
>>
Neil DeGrasse Tyson is the kind of guy Morrison was talking about in that "who changes the Batmobile's tires" quote that people like to misinterpret.
>>
>>82746548
Not that I'm disagreeing or trying to start shit, but what about when they recast another ethnicity for a character that's always been white? Take the Iron Fist backlash for example
>>
>>82748797
you suck at reading comprehension and just suck in general.

He was pointing out the mental disconnect between people who are fine with horrific acts of violence as entertainment for kids but are terrified of boys kissing.
>>
>>82748892

>'it's a fucking made up story' as a justification for poor story logic

Where's the misinterpretation?
>>
>>82748856
All they have to do is not explain a damn thing to anyone.
>>
I come from an Asian country. Asian Americans are whiny, entitled progressive cunts that lack good traits from either homeland or adopted country. US media must be picking on them very hard for them to be so mentally damaged and believe they are being discriminated against. They have an inferiority complex.
>>
>>82749039
Funny that you say that, as a latino american I think the same about US-born latinos.
Does the US atmosphere pussify them or what?
>>
>>82749067
They wanna get in on the oppression olympics along with women and blacks.
>>
>>82749002
You're misinterpreting by thinking it's a commentary on internal story logic while it's really a commentary on how people like NDT simply cannot accept the internal logic of the story even if it makes sense.
>>
doesn't the chinese love Pai mei? The old chinese kung fu master is one of the old character type in china.
>>
>Hollywood is situated in a primarily caucasian region.
>Chooses to primarily cast caucasians in lead roles

I don't ask for more white people to star in Cantonese or Bollywood movies because my demographic isn't the primary consumer base. Is there any evidence to suggest that whites are no longer putting the most money into ticket/merchandise sales? If such spending data existed I feel that Hollywood would start catering to whatever demographic became the new biggest part of the market.
>>
>>82749067
>>82749083
It's more the fact that they are ethnic minorities in the country they live in.
>>
>>82749067

I think, in the USA, the culture of individuality makes them feel like they are very special and valuable, when in reality, many are average. Consequently they have the kind of attitude that you only see rich people have here, demanding special treatment and throwing their weight around. Emphasizing their heritage is another way to profile themselves as more unique and special to lord it over their peers. it is an American disease you also see in white Americans who claim they are Irish or Native
>>
I dislike engrish speaking actors, not that they're bad actors or anything, but I hear enough engrish from my family don't need that shit in my movies unless the role deems it kind of appropriate, not too sure I want it even then, just irritating.
>>
>>82749135
Except unlike Hong Kong or Bollywood, Hollywood creates entertainment for the entire world.
>>
>>82749135
Hmm you know this is a decent point. I watch Japanese dramas and sometimes there's a Caucasian character and rarely do they actually cast a white person. Usually it's a Japanese person with an odd wig and they're just like "He's from Germany" and then comes a few really bad phrases in Engrish.
>>
>>82749149
I didn't know Asian Americans had it so rough. Poor souls.
>>
>>82749189
That's interesting considering that Bollywood/Chinese films are all still readily available to North American audiences.

Again, Hollywood is a primarily white region making things for a primarily white audience. It exports films in the same way that weebshit from Japan (video games especially) get exported out to consumers worldwide, that doesn't change the target market though.
>>
>>82749135
The unfortunate reality is that it's inevitable that it will change due to the massive demographic shift in the West.
I think we're just holding on for as long as we can.
>>
>>82747218
>that robot licking his lips while waiting to eat Metal Men
>>
>>82746796
I can only speak for myself, but changing a character's race doesn't bother me as long as it's not integral to the character to be something other than what the actor looks like.

For example, the Craptastic 4 with black Johnny Storm would have been fine had Sue also been black; seeing as Torch and Invisible are the only two who can turn their powers off and on at will (Ben's always Thing, Reed's always stretchy) then it's something within the Storm DNA itself. So making one adopted (that is what it was, right?) makes no sense.

Black Jimmy Olsen would have been fine if the character wasn't looking like your everyday dudebro. Like if they got Kel Mitchell or something to play something more nerdy it would have worked.
>>
>>82746900
>Asian gets a role so that the film can have a stereotypical asian
>The Asian actually needs to be a character so they choose white people
>Asians get no good roles
>>
>>82748051
Global warming is not a political agenda, it is scientific consensus. Go speak to your state climatologist as I have and stop listening to right wing pundits.
>>
>>82749281
I honestly don't give a shit about the ethnicity of actors in Hollywood productions (so long as the ethnicity isn't an integral part of their character, a Chinese Shaft or a black Snow White would upset me quite a bit); I just dislike that minorities are complaining that this lack of representation is some sort of malicious conspiracy/racism when it's really just pretty fucking basic market research.

If the USA does eventually undergo a shift to brown/black/asian actors taking the majority of leading roles I will assume that it's because those demographics are now spending more money than white people. Since I'm not a huge racist I'd still enjoy the movies even if the main character doesn't happen to look like me.
>>
Takei is absolutely right. This is insulting on more than one level. Marvel/Disney studios being such slaves to the Chinese market that they won't portray a character as he should be is an embarrassing lack of integrity and courage. It legit makes me not want to see the movie.
>>
>>82749322
Keeping Sue white was probably the most racist thing they could have done there. That was just a joke.
>>
He only cares if the minority is Asian or LBGT. Huge hypocrite
>>
>>82749409
A huge portion of the SJW movement is centered around privileged people finding ways to paint themselves as victims. That only works if they themselves are part of the oppressed group.
>>
>>82746514
They made fucking Heimdall a nigger, so why not a white lady doing magical martial arts?
>>
>>82746514
Looks like Takei doesn't like nigger superheroes either.
>>
>>82746639
china went to see iron man 3 for the five minute scene specifically for their audience where they got a lot of chinese product placement and some old guy and some dumb bitch talking about nothing before doing surgery on tony's heart
>>
Let Marvel crash and burn. Fuck them.
>>
>>82746514

The only solution is to cast Keanu Reeves in all Asian roles again. Half Chinese, passes for White, unholy... acting... Talent!
>>
Takei is a jap and hasn't lived in Asia ever so I don't know why he thinks his opinion is worth hearing.
>>
He is literally an oldfag who still wants to be relevant by having shit opinions
>>
>>82749468

Whoa, tone it down Snyder
>>
>>82749449
Where does he say that?
>>
>>82749263
Well, unless you are also a member of an ethnic minority in your country, you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>82749332
From what I understand the fact that global temperatures are rising is agreed upon in the scientific but the jury is still out on whether it's completely caused by humans, completely due to natural causes or a mix of the two, also there is debate to the extent of the long term damage it will cause in the future from one side saying it will be only mildly bad and another camp claiming all life on earth will end and dozens of arguments that fall in between.

Bill Nye from what I recall falls into the hysterical camp.
>>
>>82746514
When people wanted to change Spiderman to a black actor, fans rightly flipped their shit. Same when they wanted to make him gay in Amazing Spiderman 2.

Because it was wrong to change such an important character they kept him white and straight.

I can see the point of complaining when they decide to cast a white person as an important character that isn't white.
>>
>>82749751
#donaldforspiderman

would've been better than the ASM movies we got
>>
>>82749519
Because he's an Asian American actor and he's really talking about whitewashing in Hollywood, not Tibet
>>
>>82749689
Those poor, poor, unfortunate wittle Asian Americans.
>>
>>82749850
Are you trying to make a point about something
>>
>>82746575
Because blacks will take to social media and rage like a bunch of angry apes. SNL lack of blacks females is an example of that. Nevermind the fact that they still had a non-mexician or non-asian play either of them.
>>
>>82749837
>Marveldrones, the thread
Fixed.
>>
>>82749850
>Those poor unfortunate Nigerian Americans
see it's easy
>>
>>82746514
I love how people dont seem to understand that the cyborgs where never ment to look asian in GITS, hell, even the creator said that they wherenot ment to look asian.
>>
>>82746514
I can't not read this is in his voice. It's too funny and I don't even care about the point he's making because it's too funny.
>>
>>82749962
Nigerian Americans do quite fine, actually. African Americans could learn a thing or two.
>>
>>82749932
>implying it's just blacks
>implying twitter hashtags targeting casting is represented of the whole group
Whether it's Asians or Blacks bitching on twitter, it ignores the asian characters that already exist to harp on a few films that were deemed offensive
see also>>82746787
>>
So has anyone considered the idea that maybe a white person got cast because all of the yellows - sorry, Asians - blew the audition?
>>
>>82748719
I know people here hate it when Tumblr is used as a buzzword, but this is absolutely the most Tumblr thing I've ever read. It reeks of the whole "prejudice plus power" stuff.
>>
>>82749962
Most Nigerian Americans are fucking loaded dude.
>>
>>82750095
then why did Disney release a statement saying "we purposefully didn't cast a Tibetan because we want big money from China"
>>
>>82750125
that's the joke
>>
>MFW when the only Latino in the MCU is Luis
>MFW when me and most Mexicans are fine with that

He was GOAT and one of the best things about Ant-Man.
>>
>>82746787
>hating on Last Airbender
It is an entertainment marvel that taught as a great number of things about how to make a movie and the importance of the source material.
>>
>>82750163
You should feel bad because he sucks.
>>
>>82750118
Then explain why it's wrong
That's why people here don't like the word 'tumblr,' or most buzzwords.
You're just slapping it on to his post so you can dismiss it without addressing even thinking about it
>>
File: 15616515.jpg (156 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
15616515.jpg
156 KB, 1280x800
>>82750163
Does Zoe Saldana count or not?

Always wanted to know
>>
>>82750212
>Having this much shit taste.

>>82750263
Is she Latina? I guess if she was raised as a Latina and identifies as one, yeah.
>>
File: wally west2.jpg (52 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
wally west2.jpg
52 KB, 600x315
>we can't keep pretending there isn't something deeper at work here.

Sucks, doesn't it? Like everyone told me, I will say the same to you. Fucking deal with it, this is the way things are now. Don't like it? Don't watch the movie. There are plenty of people who will watch the movie. Why should they cater to you?

:^)
>>
File: 1407402375669.jpg (419 KB, 2160x820) Image search: [Google]
1407402375669.jpg
419 KB, 2160x820
Reminder that most people on both sides of the argument are hypocrites.
>>
>>82750263
Green don't count.
>>
>>82750332
Or when they make Sailor Moon characters, who are suppose to be Asian, into black people.
>>
>>82750379
And fat
>>
>>82750332
>black people in a setting based on Anglo-saxon myths
Why? That would be as dumb as putting East Asians in a fantasy setting based on African myths.
>>
>>82750305
>m-my stereotypical culo mexican character
Nah

>>82750316
>There are plenty of people who will watch the movie
Because they're drones. If this wasn't a Disney movie, like Fant4stic was, it'd fail.
>>
>>82750422
Funnily enough, they actually did put some asians and non-whites in Laketown for the last two Hobbit films
Chinese market?
>>
>>82750305
>and identifies as one, yeah.
ooh...
>>
File: oompa loompa dr strange.jpg (393 KB, 1024x1578) Image search: [Google]
oompa loompa dr strange.jpg
393 KB, 1024x1578
>>
>>82750150
You don't think that's less embarrassing for orientals - sorry, Asians - than "We really wanted to hire one but they were all so unemotive and bad at acting!"?
>>
File: plebshit.jpg (183 KB, 1280x1219) Image search: [Google]
plebshit.jpg
183 KB, 1280x1219
>>82750379
>>82750332

>>82750483
Do you have something to say? Because Zoe is Dominican. It's not some Dolezal case.
>>
>>82750526

>>82750520
IT'S AN ACTING STYLE DAMMIT!
THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE BAD!
>>
George Takei is pretty dumb sometimes but he's right, changing a character's race for no reason is stupid under any circumstances.
>>
>>82750422
Remember people bitching that the Witcher 3 set in 13th century Poland didn't have enough black people?

The Polish devs got really fucking sick of Americans telling them about their own country's racial past
>>
>>82750467
Nigga do you really think that something that small could have any effect at all in the movie's sales in China
>>
>>82750526
>She has often spoken of her pride in her African ancestry, and has said: "It doesn't matter how much backlash I will get for it; I will honor and respect my black community because that's who I am."[7]
I don't really know if this counts as identifying one way or the other so I might be wrong
>>
File: Fat_Moon_Princess_by_comethime.jpg (83 KB, 550x969) Image search: [Google]
Fat_Moon_Princess_by_comethime.jpg
83 KB, 550x969
>>82750332
>>82750379
I don't care if people make all the race-changing mods or fanart they want so long as they don't go full retard with the THIS IS WHAT THEY SHOULD BE bullshit.

>>82750414
Yeah, that is bizarrely common (not that muh dick minds).
>>
>>82750520
The writer explicitly said the tibetan issue is why the Ancient One isn't asian anymore, so you can stop trying to concoct meme magic, /pol/.
>>
>>82750611
No, I was being facetious, but Marvel adding Chinese ads and two asian characters for the Chinese release, is a tier or two above that
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.