[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on the FOX-MARVEL Cinematic Universe?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7
File: Fox Cinematic Universe.jpg (34 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Fox Cinematic Universe.jpg
34 KB, 600x450
What are your thoughts on the FOX-MARVEL Cinematic Universe?
>>
The only salvageable franchise they got going for them is Deadpool - which has the potential to fill a niche as a parody series of the MCU.

R-rated Wolverine might be good.

Gambit was scraped wasn't it?
>>
It's very existence is pathetic. A clear and desperate attempt to try and get some of that Disney money. At least Universals Monster Cinematic Universe is built on the old school cinematic universe based on theironsters from the 40s and 50s. Fox is just straight swagger jacking.
>>
File: RGdnkF6.jpg (48 KB, 480x684) Image search: [Google]
RGdnkF6.jpg
48 KB, 480x684
After tediously building back up their audience with First Class, The Wolverine, DOFP and Deadpool due to losing them with X3 and Origins, it sounds like Apocalypse is going to kill all that momentum again.

Pretty much guarantees that Deadpool will be shoehorned into everything from now on even more-so than if Apocalypse was good.

I'm fairly scared for the future of the Fox-men. They really need to make sure Wolverine and whatever is directly after that takes the blow of this movie and keeps on rolling or else we're in for some dark times again.
>>
My thoughts are that since Fan4stic failed and apparently men Apocalypse sucks, their universe is just barely in better shape than DCs.
>>
>>82689287
>At least Universals Monster Cinematic Universe is built on the old school cinematic universe based on their monsters from the 40s and 50s.

They don't have a cinematic universe. A planned series doesn't mean shit.

Dracula Untold was garbage, and we'll be lucky if the Mummy reboot with Tom Cruise an Sofia Boutella is any good.
>>
>>82689198
Shame the current plan is get rid of Gambit and replace it with Deadpool 2, Deadpool 3, Deadpool and the X-Men, X-Force movie from the creators of Deadpool, Deadpool vs X-Men.
>>
File: marvelousmovies.jpg (199 KB, 1024x480) Image search: [Google]
marvelousmovies.jpg
199 KB, 1024x480
>>82689288
Fear not. You can always find comfort in the bosom of the MCU. Disney will take care of you.
>>
>>82689467
Let's be honest, Gambit was always a long shot. They should have gave Storm a movie before Gambit.
>>
>>82689550
>>82689467
I'm still baffled they wanted to make a Gambit solo movie.
It's just so fucking random.
Like DC with the solo Cyborg movie.
Seriously, who wanted that?
>>
File: cyborg-8-inch-figure.jpg (38 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cyborg-8-inch-figure.jpg
38 KB, 600x600
>>82689581
I-I wanted a Cyborg movie. Just not the way we're gonna get it.

I want happy, tech obsessed, mechanically inclined, come to terms with his mortality Cyborg. Not the daddy issues on we're gonna get.
>>
>>82689198
Still can't be convinced to see Fant4stick, even torrenting it, but their X-Men have had a pretty good run, and the Wolverine movies are my guilty pleasures. Deadpool is the thing there with the most promise going forward. Gambit, I don't even really have anything to say about. Probably not even worth mentioning. Wolverine is going to be the only one they can support a solo franchise on, and at this point, it's likely to be cancelled.
>>
>>82689632
But what would it even be about?
Cyborg has always been more like an addon to the Justice League.
>>
>>82689644
All they gotta do is take Robocop, add a young persons personality and tech based super villain and your gold. You could make that on a 100 million dollar budget.

The real question is how are they gonna make Aquaman. An all underwater movie for a character who is perceived as a joke. ANY budget is too much for something like that.
>>
Gambit is not happening
>>
>>82689477
Kill the disney with fire!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>82689668
This.
They got Channing Tatum to see if they can bank in on the horny girl cash like Thor movies do, but I seriously doubt it's going to get made.
>>
>>82689288
currently, the rating is 53% on RT (if someone cares)
>>
>>82689288
Actually, First Class and The Wolverine had some of the lowest real audience figures of the series, but managed grosses in line with the first X-Men. X2 and X3 did much better, but not incredibly so.

DoFP likely only made as much money as it did because of the presence of the entire old cast (who may represent an audience segment that has in effect moved on from the series) and Jennifer Lawrence (who has a lot of fans).

>>82689216
It may have been scrapped. The promo images they put out were awful (that fedora was somebody's choice) and the star they had went and made Jupiter Ascending, which is awful.

>>82689287
The problem with the Monster Cinematic Universal plan is that Hammer already did it for like 20 years, and both Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are dead.

>>82689581
Who wanted an Iron Man movie?
>>
>>82689744
>Who wanted an Iron Man movie?
Iron Man got extremely lucky because people ended up liking RDJ.
That's all.
>>
>>82689664
I'm genuinely not expecting Aquaman or Flash to even start filming.
>>
>>82689771
Flash may happen because people already got exposure to him from the TV show, but I have serious doubts about Aquaman.
Another one is Wonder Woman, I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen when it comes out.
Suicide Squad will probably do fine tho.
>>
>>82689198
Why did they even try with Fantastic 4 again, just to keep the rights?
If I remember correctly, they need Marvel's permission to have the Fantastic 4 and the X-Men in the same universe.
>>
>>82689744
Jupiter Ascending and the disappointing Magic Mike sequel. Although it was neat seeing Michael Strahan and Kevin Nash being strippers.
>>
>>82689819
Yep, just to keep the rights. If it was a success they would have run with it. If it's a failure, which it was, than at least they've fucked over Disney for another 7 or 8 years.
>>
>>82689819
>If I remember correctly, they need Marvel's permission to have the Fantastic 4 and the X-Men in the same universe.
Source?
>>
>>82689890
It's funny that Disney offered them to keep the Daredevil rights in exchange for Silver Surfer and Galactus and they refused even though they were already in plans to make a new Daredevil movie.
>>
>>82689795
Her movie is already done. It's coming out. The problem is, I think it'll bomb. They're releasing it against Will Smith and Bad Boys 3 and a week later World War Z comes out. A week after that , Cars 3 comes out. A week after that Transformers 5. And to end the month, Despicable Me 3. Oh, and the week before WW comes out, Pirates of the fucking Carribean. They dropped er in the middle of the murderers row of the 2017 summer movie schedule.
>>
>>82689964
Jesus christ, why?
Why not release it at the same week BvS did?
Filming is already over, I doubt they need more than a year to finish it.
>>
>>82689964

>and Bad Boys 3

They're making a Bad Boys 3?

>A week after that Transformers 5.

They're making a Transformers 5?

>Despicable Me 3.

They're making a Despicable M3?

>Pirates of the fucking Carribean.

They're making another POTC??

And they all come out next summer? The fuck.
>>
>>82690014
Yeah.
You probably haven't heard much because most of those are still in pre-production so not much is known.
>>
>>82689985
Maybe they're trying to swing their dicks to show off. A kind of "we can hang with the big boys too" sort of thing. To be honest, March and April aren't much better with the likes of Furious 8 and Beauty and the Beast floating around. I'd personally release it at the end of the summer in August. No shame in that. Both Guardians of the Galaxy and Straight Outta Compton came out in August and both did great. They could rule August with Wonder Woman, literally nothing else is scheduled for then.
>>
>>82690014
And don't forget the new Baywatch movie with Dwayne Johnson and Zack Efron. Or the new Jumanji starring Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart. I'm actually looking forward to that last one. More than I am about any upcoming FOX marvel movies.
>>
>>82689198
Hit or miss
More hits than misses . . . I think.
>>
>>82690014
Yeah, Cinema has kinda been dead for a while.
>>
>>82689819
I heard rumours that unless they have another Fantastic 4 movie by next year, rights go back to Marvel. Not sure how true that is butwould be funny
>>
File: badboys.jpg (287 KB, 620x382) Image search: [Google]
badboys.jpg
287 KB, 620x382
>>82690195
Did you not read the previous post? Bad Boys is back! Cinema is alive and well.
>>
>>82689964
BAD BOYS 3 IS FINALLY HAPPENING!?
>>
>Thread about fox MCU
>Tangent about Will Smith and Bad Boys develops.

Well, I guess that shows how interested people are in this fox knockoff shit.
>>
>>82689985
They need time to try and turn Gal Gadot into a star. Good luck to them.
>>
>>82689964
>>82689985
>>82690050
Oh come on WB, think smart.
>>
>>82690485
They don't need to be smart, they've got Wonder Woman! Remember how well a movie with her AND batman and Superman did? Just imagine how well a movie without the latter two and up against Will Smith and Kevin Hart will do!
>>
>>82689903
They weren't sold on a single contract. That they're originally from a shared universe is immaterial - the one contract was to make X-Men shows and movies and the other to make Fantastic Four shows and movies, and nothing else. Not being able to cross them over is no different to not being able to cross them over with Alien or Predator - it's the choice of the ultimate rights*owner* as opposed to the leasing rights*holder* as to whether they want to complicate the legal back end.

The other problem (which is easier to overcome) is that FOX almost certainly doesn't hold both sets of rights at the same corporate entity - that would mean they were holding all of their rights at a single entity, which would mean massive potential to get cleaned out should they end up in chapter 11 or whatever else. No coming back for a broke studio without IPs, so you plan against that eventuality and limit exposure to risk.

Given that incorporating a company in a tax haven is the work of 5 minutes and has no real overhead beyond the setup cost of a few hundred dollarydoos, they may well have literally every IP at a separate shelter.

>>82689910
The Daredevil movie was a feint. They didn't have time when it was announced - couldn't be done even if the funding had been there, which it wasn't because there was no script. It was intended to give some value to the rights in Marvel's eyes, but it turned out Marvel could just sit tight and let it come home anyway.

If they'd made a tv show, ironically, they'd still hold the rights.

>>82689985
>Why not release it at the same week BvS did?

That would have hurt both movies.

>>82690207
No, it's on a 10-year clock including active production - filming. So 1994 ashcan to 2004 filming/2005 release, 2014 filming/2015 release. Sequels probably only add a few years - maybe 5.

Same story with Daredevil (which was sold around the same time) and likely with X-Men.
>>
>>82690258
>u finna say we be some kino Bad Boyz
>>
>>82690671
>That would have hurt both movies.
I mean the same week in 2017, obviously, you know, right at the beginning of Spring Break.
The movie ended up filming like a few days ago.
>>
>>82690671
>Why not release it at the same week BvS did?
>That would have hurt both movies.

I think they meant release it the same week next year. So Wonder Woman would have a March release with less competition instead of the jumbled June one it has now.
>>
>>82690685
I don't get it.
>>
>>82690353
Maybe people will start to care once Apocalypse comes out.
>>
>>82690711
Oh, I guess. My understanding is that it could have been ready to go this year.

>>82690687
It's a dead zone. Big names can do well, but smaller names will get swallowed up. And of course, if it looks empty (which it doesn't - Beauty and the Beast, Power Rangers and even Ghost in the Shell are already too big for it - ScarJo has legs) then someone else will likely dump their big-name but not-too-promising movie in the same slot.

Wonder Woman is well-known from one show forty years ago that ran for three seasons and wasn't very good; the new incarnation does away with most of what made that popular (about eight cup sizes) and threatens to be more of the same Bullshit vs Stupidity; so it's maybe smarter to put it out when there are more people attending, because once those audiences are actually at theaters and find that the showing they wanted is full up, now Zoidberg is the popular one.
>>
>>82690996
One anon suggested August as a good time to release WW.
>>
>>82689198
A more valid rival to the MCU than DC.
>>
>>82689744
Iron Man was still several tiers above Gambit or Cyborg, come on now anon.
>>
>>82689964
Yo when's Mahvel.
>>
>>82692647
Was he though? At least before 2008, Cyborg and Gambit had been main characters in successful tv shows. Iron man's show bombed and never connected with anyone.
>>
>>82689198
Do you last Wolverine movie with Jackman, let him retire from that.

Make your Deadpool movies, that's basically a separate franchise anyways.

Take five years off before making another X-Men, and do a complete reboot. Start from scratch; new directors, new writers, new actors, everything. DON'T include Wolverine -- save him for a sequel.

You can still make New Mutants and slot it into this new universe if you want, and Deadpool wouldn't be hard to fit in either. Gambit won't get made so that doesn't matter.

>>82689581
Because Channing Tatum is a big star, and Fox wanted to make a movie with him. They want to be in "The Channing Tatum Business". So they take a look at what properties and scripts they own, give him some choices, and he picks what he wants to do. Apparently he picked Gambit, so that's where they're going. If he had looked at the list and said, "This Cannonball dude sounds awesome", we'd have a solo movie full of nigh-invulnerability when he's blastin'. It has absolutely nothing to do with Gambit, and everything to do with Tatum.

But with all the stops and starts, I don't think this movie is going to happen anyways.
>>
>>82689198
I want F4 to be good
>>
>>82689198

I think an X-men crossover is the only way to salvage F4. They've had those in comics so it's not like it's entirely new.

The only thing is if they want to fix up and keep going with the Fant4stick or just do another reboot with no origin.
>>
>>82689632
Why are they not doing a live action Teen Titans? Wouldn't that be something the kids/teens will be into?
>>
>>82692985
They can't crossover the X-Men with the F4 without the permission of Marvel, so it's not going to happen.
>>
>>82689198
Its dead now that they just sunk the x men franchise again. F4 was going back to marvel but now Xmen is fucking up hard too
>>
>>82689459
>they don't have a shared cinematic universe

Believe it or not they actually want to:

That's exactly what the end of Dracula Untold was meant to set up.
>>
File: 1462816869922.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1462816869922.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
>>82693064

Yes. A good teen titans movie would sell like hot cakes, but if BvS taught me anything it's that WB is run by a gaggle of retards who have no idea what makes comic books or films good, let alone what is appealing to audiences.
>>
>owns EVERY female mutant
>NOT ONE FUCKING MOVIE WITH THEM!
FOX can get fucked.
>>
>>82693199
They'll have a young actor as Robin to rival Holland's Spidey. I'm not sure what WB is doing. I thought they want money.
>>
>>82690258
So what kind of role did they have to shoehorn Jayden into to get Will back?
>>
>>82692720
Yeah but I think people knew Iron Man is as like a comic book character. Gambit and Cyborg were more known as being part of teams.
>>
I liked The Wolverine. Deadpool was good, too. Fant4stic is one of the worst movies ever made and I wasn't a huge fan of DOFP or First Class. So I have no fucking idea how Apocalypse is going to be.

As same-y as MCU can be, I don't think any of their movies reach the lows that Fox/Sony/DCU do. It sucks, I really want more great comic book movies.
>>
>>82693206
not only that, but they push fucking mystique out of all of them as the leader of the team
>>
>>82692835
I think the problem with Deadpool is likely that the rights are part of the X-Men package - even if they weren't originally, because they've been crossed with each other it's pretty much a given now.

The problem with that is the same problem FOX had with their 2016 Silver Surfer movie - it was announced years ago, planned, but never went anywhere and then they had to make a movie about the FF to actually retain the rights, because secondary characters don't count for the headline, so without a main X-Men franchise in some form (including perhaps an unrelated tv series) they can't retain the rights to Deadpool.

I do think that FOX will fight to keep the X-Men rights, but having said that I also think the time will come when they're not making any money, the FF rights are just sitting there with years left to run and this toxic legacy, and they'll offer both rights quietly back to Marvel for a quick cash boost.

>>82695399
That wasn't really planned. They were going to use her because the character was distinctive, is basically nude, and already had makeup designs done from 2000; they cast Jennifer Lawrence long before she blew up and now they're stuck using her because they can't afford to renew and they can't afford not to use her.
>>
>>82694681
Agreed. MCU films are like a seal of aproval. The quality may not always be top notch, but you know that at the very least, there will be some quality.
>>
>>82696793
people are way too forgiving for mcu movies, considering how much the movies influence the comics
>>
>>82693206
How many marvel movies will be feature a female hero? One? And it'll be about captain marvel.
For fuck sake. Neither SW nor BW will get a movie, and frankly, can't blame them, they suck.

And in case of fox, which movie you would like to see? Because I don't remember any succesfull comic featuring x-woman
>>
>>82697460
Just make a Storm movie. She rules.
>>
>>82689903
Fox didn't get the FF rights at the same time as the X-Men rights; the FF rights were bought by Constantin Films sometime in the 80's. It wasn't until the 00's when Constantin and Fox made a deal with the rights, and so their contract might be somewhat different than the X-Men film one.

Also if they had been allowed to do crossovers, they would've started aggressively pushing FF references into the X-Men films.
>>
>>82692985
>The only thing is if they want to fix up and keep going with the Fant4stick or just do another reboot with no origin.

If (and I really doubt this considering what happened with last year's film) Fox wanted to do another Fantastic Four movie, they're definitely going to have to reboot. I can't recall an instance where a complete financial and critical failure of a film got a sequel.

However, I would've been okay with Tommy Wiseau directing a sequel to Trank's FF though.
>>
File: 1463040256480.gif (3 MB, 640x266) Image search: [Google]
1463040256480.gif
3 MB, 640x266
>>82697460
>Apocolypse bombs
>Singer's "Dark Phoenix" movie is demoted from mainline X-movie to a JEEEEEEEAN spin-off
>I get muh Onslaught movie after all
>>
>>82689903
A lot of stuff can be read between the lines.

Last year someone who worked on the special effects leaked info on the early script drafts of F4. One was from 2014, the other early 2015. The 2014 one actually makes references to mutants. But the 2015 draft omitted all of them entirely.

The Motley Fool made a report saying that Fox was going to do an X-Men/Fantastic Four crossover, but then had to quickly make a public retraction, like as if there was legal trouble involved.

And then leading up to the release of F4, they said they were considering a crossover between F4 and X-Men on the same Earth, but then also had to quickly say that the F4 exists on a completely different Earth than the X-Men.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.