[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Waid's Black Widow has been really good. Discuss.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
Waid's Black Widow has been really good. Discuss.
>>
It's been pretty action-based, but I'm all for seeing Samnee pull it off.
>>
Friend told me they didn't like the first issue because it didn't have enough words. I jokingly recommended Bendis as a reflex from all my time on here and they said they were looking forward to his Civil War II. I can't believe these people exist.
>>
I didn't even know Waid was on black widow.
>>
>>82489487
Meh.

Do we need yet another Natasha atones for her past while dealing with a shadowy Russian bad guy?
>>
>>82489862
I've never really read any black widow stuff, do I figured I'd give it a shot, I've liked it so far tho
>>
Well Samnee has been co-writing it.
>>
>>82489574
First issue was still shit. An overdrawn action sequence is not visual storytelling.
>>
>>82489487

>Waid
>good

lol.
>>
>>82489487
Nah.
>>
Is it a good jumping on point?

I have no knowledge of Black Widow other than the movie.
>>
>>82494134
stop getting upset over sjws anon
>>
>>82494083
>Ellis dies it
Holy shit that was absolute badass, Ellis you fucking genius.
>Anyone else
Meh
>>
>>82489487
It hasn't. The plot is pretty generic and it's hardly given me a reason to care for Natasha or anything else. I've dropped it with the third issue.
>>
>>82494188
Ellis MK is the most overrated "run" of the past 5 years.
>>
>>82494183
Stop being such a scared pussy. It's issue one, if you're still too scared to try it just go back to /tv/
>>
>>82494188
Not a big fan even when Ellis does it, but Ellis' issues do have a plot, instead of decompressed generic action for the whole issue.
>>
>>82494134
H-He was good in the 90s
>>
>>82494083
I agree with this, and I'll try to articulate why.

1) It's not an actual silent action issue like everyone implies. All the key plot points have accompanying exposition to tell you what's going on, rather than letting the artwork speak for itself. For instance, instead of a panel with a shield agent searching for something and another of Natasha slipping a package into her suit, we get someone on the intercom telling everyone to capture Black Widow because she stole something.

2) Black Widow herself is silent through the whole thing, but all the shield grunts are rather talkative. You get some of their personality through their dialogue, which is nice because Samnee's facial expressions are so neutral. Which makes Widow look like a dullard since she doesn't say anything to establish herself.

3) The action scenes themselves have no hype or intensity. There's a lot of sterile paneling simply showing one vignette after another - no build up from one scene to the next, no calm before the storm. All the brawl scenes are so closely zoomed in that you can't make out the fight choreography. The chase scenes merely show where one vehicle is with respect to the other. On top of all this, it's bog standard spy stuff that we've all seen before.

All in all, it's certainly competently done and the art quality is fantastic, but that just leaves it as average. There's nothing exceptional that makes it stand out. Nothing that shocks or surprises you.
>>
>>82494206
Thanks.
Sick of seeing casuals with their "HURR IT'S THE ONLY GOOD MOON KNIGHT RUN"
Go fuck yourselves, all of you.
>>
>>82494268
And today!
>>
>>82494206
It might not be a masterpiece, but it was definitely enjoyable.
>>
>>82489487
I'm just glad the third issue was less cringeworthy with it's random use of Russian words than the second one was.
>>
>>82489487
>character that already flt like outdated Cold War movie shit in the 90s
>author clearly doesn't know much about the Soviet period
>random russian words thrown in for no specific reason

It's shit. The closest thing to a well-written character from any ex-communist country in Marvel were these stories where various commie villains like Radioactive Man were shown as heroes back at home. Also honestly Black Widow is just pretty boring conceptually.
>>
>>82494888
>there will never be a comic about Black Widow dealing with the consequences of 90s Russia, written by someone who knows history of the criminal underworld well

Just kill me. How some of the Russian gangs spread internationally and became semi-legit businessmen is such an interesting concept for a cape/spy comic, but no one does anything with it. The closest to what I mean (not good but closer than any Black Widow run) I remember that shitty Maverick comic, but I believe i'm the only one who read that.
>>
File: the_winter_guard.jpg (335 KB, 900x1236) Image search: [Google]
the_winter_guard.jpg
335 KB, 900x1236
>>82494888
I remember the Winter Guard mini that was okay-ish when it comes to this stuff, I guess, but went nowhere. Don't remember the Radioactive Man one.
>>
>>82489487
I want to check this out. I love tactical/espionage stuff set in superhero universes. Weird spy fiction, if you will.
>>
>>82489487
I like it, it's nothing groundbreaking but it's enjoyable so far.

Art is amazing.
>>
>>82495038
It wasn't a mini, iirc, but Radioactive Man did show up as a national hero in Slott's Mighty Avengers and probably a few more books from the post-CW period, that's actually why people were upset when he became a flat villain again in ANAD.
>>
Nothings been happening and its yet another Natasha atones for her past story.
>>
>>82489862
This, the end of her last run wiping away it's own purpose really soured me on Black Widow.
>>
>>82495257
If your post was out of context, i would have assumed you are talking about Waid's DD.
>>
>>82495038
I'm still pissed they did nothing with Anton after this book.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.