[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gunnerkrigg Court
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: 00001666[1].jpg (184 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
00001666[1].jpg
184 KB, 600x849
>Oh and this person.
>>
>>82464122
I still don't see the webcomics main characters, William and Janet. How am I suppose to care if they aren't here? I mean, is their relationship still a secret from everyone or not??? Has Annie told anyone off-panel??? We need to know dammit!
>>
>>82464122
>I love some of these guys!
>>
>>82464265
Says the teacher
>>
File: it begins.jpg (9 KB, 131x197) Image search: [Google]
it begins.jpg
9 KB, 131x197
>>82464122
>>
Seeing how forest people act really reminds you of how "domesticated" Renard must be.
>>
>>82464414
Isengrin doesn't act like that either.
>>
>>82464489
No he just tries to casually murder people if you say the wrong thing.
>>
>>82464414
>>82464489
the more dimwitted forest animals
>>
>>82464414
Nah, they're all just... "whimsical". Renard was rather intelligent from the beginning.
>>
File: 00000810[1].jpg (172 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
00000810[1].jpg
172 KB, 600x849
>>82464489
He is not as playful but he doesn't act like Rey.

He has that flippant honesty that forest people have.
>>
>>82464122
quezoqutl bless the forest people
>>
>>82464583
The forest people aren't stupid, they just live differently. The culture is different.

It was mentioned in the story at some point how Coyote and Ysengrin bare their teeth and make themselves appear threatening because that is the "way of the forest" or animals or something.

I think it's just that. Animals don't don't really lie, they live more simply and can even be shallow for it (like liking someone for their hair). The way the kids greet each other here, it's kind of like what dogs do when they see each other. Jumping around, just honest physical expressions of how they feel.

They aren't dumb, as shown when Annie visited the classroom they even consider the stuff they have to learn "easy". They also have to learn shittons more, faster, than the other non-transfer human classes.
>>
>>82464671
It's funny because there have been studies that suggest that our traditional education methods are more damaging to learning than just letting them do what interests them.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/01/kids_learn_hacking_android/
>>
>>82464489
>>82464414
Rey and Ysengrin aren't forest animals, so they aren't really subject to its wackiness.

They just turned up. They have their own personalities, and that's probably why Coyote likes them.

Rey is the lighthearted trickster who exploits religious and civil dogma for his own good and for the good of the common, while Ysengrin is a stern participant in those institutions who tries to exploit the commons.
>>
The real question is when do we see Red again
>>
I want to HUG Bugsy
>>
>>82464906
They probably come from similar cultures though. The forest people have Coyote as their leader, so that's probably why they've become so "wacky". But the culture that's more similar to animal behavior than humans is probably common in all "magical creature" societies.

Which actually makes me wonder about the exact places Rey, Ysengrin, and Coyote all come from - we don't know anything about them. Many etheric beings gather at Gunnerkirgg, but for the rest of the world what is it like? Are they randomly found in places just getting along with regular society?

What the rest of the world is like and how they handle magical creatures being real is an untouched mystery in Gunnerkrigg, I hope we'll see some kind of glimpse of it in the future (maybe one of the side comics).

>>82464927
Probably the next page.
>>
File: big mad train up your cracker.jpg (79 KB, 392x588) Image search: [Google]
big mad train up your cracker.jpg
79 KB, 392x588
>>82464346
>>
>>82464927
Could we get Red and Parley both showing up for this one?
Because if so, best chapter right there.
>>
>>82465619
Could we get Red x Parley for this chapter?

best anything of all time right there
>>
>>82464122
We get it, Tom, fairies are retarded.
Move on, please!
>>
>>82465910
No fuck you, fairy time now
>>
>>82464906
>Rey and Ysengrin aren't forest animals, so they aren't really subject to its wackiness.
Aren't they just forest animals that were given powers by Coyote though? Or am I misremembering that part?
>>
Hey!

Hey, YOU!
>>
>>82465062
Zimmy was a hobo before being brought to the court.
>>
>>82464797
>our traditional education methods are more damaging to learning than just letting them do what interests them
That's definitely true for kids that are "gifted" or "special" in some way, but that's mostly because the entire schooling system is based on preparing you for getting a job and being a wageslave the rest of your life. In that sense, for the vast majority of kids it's working as intended. It's just for the ones that are too far outside of the norm, either by being too fucking smart for everyone else or because there's something wrong with them, that the system fails.
>>
If Rabbit Boy could name <Snuffle>, why can't he name the other students in his class?

Can't Bugsy just hand out names left and right being both a teacher and a named fairy creature?

Could Red hand out new names if she wanted to?

Can anything be a name, since a snuffling sound is apparently enough? Could Red barf and make that sound somebody's name?
>>
>>82466121
>If Rabbit Boy could name <Snuffle>, why can't he name the other students in his class?
Because fuck those guys they're not as cool as <Snuffle>.
>>
File: white people problems.png (156 KB, 430x686) Image search: [Google]
white people problems.png
156 KB, 430x686
>>82464797
>"The kids had completely customized the desktop - so every kid's tablet looked different. We had installed software to prevent them from doing that," said Ed McNierney, OLPC's CTO. "And the fact they worked around it was clearly the kind of creativity, the kind of inquiry, the kind of discovery that we think is essential to learning."

>when some African kid does it they're amazing
>when 12-year-old me did it I got a year-long ban from the school's media room
>>
>>82466121
He can but it's not proper to do so in fairy culture for some reason.
if annie can bugsy definitely can
yes.
yes and yes.
>>
>>82466121
They can all name eachother, but they don't. Probably because they're assholes.

Also, I don't think -anything- can be a name. Just anything that was, directly or indirectly, intended as a name. Like, Red didn't have a name even though people had said plenty of things to her, but when Anny called her Red one time by accident it immediately became her name. <Snuffle> is just GK's version of rabbit-language. So barfing wouldn't be appropriate as a name unless you were literally addressing a person by barfing at them.
>>
>>82466206
>addressing a person by barfing at them
Which, to be fair, doesn't seem that out of the ordinary in fairy culture
>>
File: 1438971500638.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1438971500638.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>82466217
That's a valid point.
>>
>>82464122
I forgot how much I hate every fairy except Red.
>>
>>82466121
Yes they can.
Anything could name a fairy, probably the fairy itself.
They're just retarded.
>>
>>82466157
Heh, exactly. I got in trouble for installing Doom 2 on one of our school computers as a kid.

Like >>82466157 says, the system is more about cramming in worker skills and obedience to rules than giving the kids a fulfilling education.
>>
File: 150179154.jpg (86 KB, 600x817) Image search: [Google]
150179154.jpg
86 KB, 600x817
>>82466121
Once a fairy or animal crosses over to humanity, they're purposely nameless until they complete their education. Only then are they given a name and the right to get a job and do other boring human stuff.

That's why Annie fucked up Red's life forever by accidentally naming her and ending her education early. Thanks Annie.
>>
>>82466956
In my HS year 1 everyone was incredibly anal about the computers. Didn't help that our comp sci teacher was just an arts&crafts teacher that took some course, and the guy responsible for the media room was literally a janitor who got promoted.

By year 2 they had mellowed out considerably and even let us use the media room to play games over LAN after school hours for a buck each. Shit was so cash.
>>
Was Bugsy a pig before she became a human?
>>
>>82467044
Who's Kristen?
>>
>>82469174
All females were previously fairies. All males were previously animals.
>>
>>82464906
Wait, are you referring to the original fable?
The fox Reynarde is a sociopathic criminal that gets away with rape and mutilation by being smarter than everyone else and the wolf Isengrin is one of the stupid gits he pesters.
>>
>>82469317
What if she's trans, like bunni every saturday night?
>>
>>82469237
Red's best friend. Keep up.
>>
>>82464122
>Fairy teacher
Oh Hey! second best girl is back!
Now where is best girl? (Jones)
>>
>>82464671
>They aren't dumb, as shown when Annie visited the classroom they even consider the stuff they have to learn "easy".
They weren't actually paying attention to what they were learning though they were just pretending to because that's what the court expects them to do, even the teacher was sleeping.
>>
File: Sketch4302725~01.png (436 KB, 583x885) Image search: [Google]
Sketch4302725~01.png
436 KB, 583x885
>>82464122
>>
>>82470793
You mean best rock
>>
>>82471307
Jones is best of all things
Also she isn't actually a rock
the rock was a metaphor
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.