[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why create a new Quazar when Phyla would have filled the quota more?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 7
File: 1461764690912.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1461764690912.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
Why create a new Quazar when Phyla would have filled the quota more?
>>
>>82386657
Because she's dead, and if they wanted an Earth-based Quasar, Phylla wouldn't make sense for that.

Also Phylla had moved on from being Quasar years ago.
>>
>>82386657
She hasn't been Quasar in a long time and Marvel seems to want to forget every part of their cosmic from that time.
>>
Wendell's right there? Why not just have him be Quasar?
>>
>>82386657
Who is new Quasar and why is Wendell not doing it?
>>
>>82386797
Some bullshit about him loosing control.
>>
>>82386657
Cuz bitch is DEAD.

Also, real human bean SHIELD Agent has more exploitable backstory than artificially aged space test tube baby #2.

Also, Kincaid being a SHIELD Agent has a lot of parallels to Wendell.
>>
File: yeah whatever.gif (467 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
yeah whatever.gif
467 KB, 500x283
>>82386657
Because bringing back classic characters from certain eras means paying their creators. Unlike now where you can have someone create something and not pay them a red cent once they're off the book, even if the character becomes a big hit.
>>
>>82387336
>Phyla
>classic character
Pick one and only one.
>>
So are we just pretending that Phyla wasn't bland as fuck before becoming an edgelord?
>>
>>82387571
Yeah, but she's from the DnA-era of cosmic which means she's absolutely 110% perfect and the greatest character ever and Marvel not bending over backwards to fellate everything from that era as the best thing to ever happen in the history of comics means that they're shitting on the entirety of cosmic.
>>
>>82387276
>Kincaid being a SHIELD Agent has a lot of parallels to Wendell.
So? No one gives a shit about Wendell. Quasar was a literally who that no one cared about until Phylla took on the mantle.
>>
>>82387625
this
>>
>>82387663
>Quasar was a literally who that no one cared about until Phylla took on the mantle.

Like people started caring even then. Fuck, you don't even manage to spell her damn name right, why are you even pretending to care?
>>
File: new quasar.jpg (68 KB, 620x868) Image search: [Google]
new quasar.jpg
68 KB, 620x868
>>82386657
What I wanna know is why they made the new Quasar a fucking mouthbreather.
Seriously, even in the concept art.
>>
>>82387571
Yes, because we have to look back on even the worse parts of a good cosmic run with rose tinted glasses.
>>
>>82387771
Because we need representation for orally respirating Americans! Their struggles have to be respected, constantly and to the detriment of the general audience's enjoyment.
>>
File: AC-Quasar-04-013_014.jpg (1010 KB, 2496x1932) Image search: [Google]
AC-Quasar-04-013_014.jpg
1010 KB, 2496x1932
>>82387571
Phyla was fucking awesome in Annihilation and Conquest. DnA didn't know what to do with her afterward.
>>
>>82387771
Huh, yeah, that's weird.

That aside, I really like her costume. Are we going to get an ongoing of Wendell training her? Because I'd be pretty down for that.
>>
>>82387336
Anon, how old do you think Phyla as a character is?
>>
>>82386657
They need to release an omnibus of Gruenwald's Quasar run.
>>
>>82387927
What is more diverse than a man that got space pregnant?
>>
>>82386657
Because Marvel is still trying to push Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as a big name brand... I bet you dollars to donuts that the Quasar Bands will be a plot point next season

Bringing back Phyla would bring up questions of her absence in GOTG Vol 2.
>>
>>82387891
>Phyla was fucking awesome in Annihilation

Didn't she show up for like two pages in that?
>>
>>82387920
Pre-Disney.
>>
>>82387571
Just like Dick Nova.
>>
>>82386657
Is that John Constantine?
>>
>>82387998
She had her own mini in it.
>>
>>82387625
Stop hanging around Judge Anon.
>>
>>82388044
She had one during Conquest.
>>
>>82387891
It was all surface level though. Yeah she summoned a bunch of heavy metal album covers to fight but her character was still shallow as fuck.
>>
>>82388044
Conquest, sure. But I don't recall her playing a big part in Annihilation.
>>
>>82388072
>heavy metal album covers
They're Harryhausen movie monsters, you philistine.
>>
>>82387963
Wendell went through some shit in his time.
>>
>Marvel brings Phylla back
Moon dragon dies two issues later
>>
File: phyla_vell_by_aspersio-d4dii32.png (438 KB, 730x950) Image search: [Google]
phyla_vell_by_aspersio-d4dii32.png
438 KB, 730x950
There was one thing always bugged the hell out of me when Phyla was Quasar, What the fuck was up with that yellow stripe on her face?
>>
>>82388057
>>82388075
Whoops, my bad.

Yeah, she was mostly just Moondragon's Girlfriend in Annihilation, plus they set her up with the Quantum Bands.
>>
>>82388224
Design element.
>>
>>82388224
It's part of her chest logo.
Really, if they bring her back all they need to do is make her Magic Sword dependent somehow. That was the big appeal of her as Quasar anyways. Big honking space sword.
>>
>>82388224
you're looking right at it
>>
File: AnnConqQuasar01pg03.jpg (115 KB, 550x834) Image search: [Google]
AnnConqQuasar01pg03.jpg
115 KB, 550x834
>>82388224
my headcanon is that the stripe is microcircuitry printed on her skin. She uses it to interface with her sword. That's why it glows in some of the art.

But it's really there 'cause it looks cool.
>>
>>82389094
Wasn't the sword just a construct she made with the Q-bands?
>>
She's going to be in GotG 2. Mark my words. Maybe Captain Marvel.

Why bring Quasar back? He's not connected to any of the big events going on. And why introduce a new FemQuasar? You can say it's for the diversity angle, but as others have said if that was the only reason bringing back Phyla would make more sense.

But the comics are continuing the trend of vaguely mirroring the films even though the chronology is shifted. We have a second Civil War just in time for the film. Guardians 2, and Infinity War are both on the horizon. Quasar played a major part in the Infinity saga, and Phyla was an original member of the Guardians.

The films are going to use a Quasar to tie in to the classic comics, but Wendell won't be used either because of diversity (another blond hair blue eyed man) or because of some other issue. But they can't use Phyla either, because her origin and history is way too convoluted to easily translate to film.

So they make a new OC female Quasar, with an origin eerily similar to Vaughn's (so the film adaption still hits the classic character notes while retaining freedom to do what they want). They get a character that can fill in for Phyla on the Guardians, and fill in for Wendell in Infinity War.

But first, they introduce her in the comics and make her a big important reveal to hype her up, so when they DO bring her to film, she doesn't seem like a blatant film-OC and to give her some recognition so as to not be a literally who.
>>
I like this character design. I don't even care that she came out of nowhere. I hope they produce decent stories with her.
>>
Cause she's dead.

Poor Wendell.
>>
Also, isn't Wendell pure quantum energy now? Doesn't he not need the bands anymore to still use his powers?
>>
>>82386794
It's pretty obvious.
>>
>>82390370
He became flesh and blood when he entered the cancerverse.
>>
>>82386657
>>82386720
Also, they're only allowed to bring back cosmic characters that are currently in a movie series.
Also, if they're still following that ridiculous "Kill at least 1 character a year" mandate, can I recommend Star Lord. He's already dead inside.

#WhyIsn'tAnyoneKillingStarLord
>>
>>82387663
Just like nobody cared about Captain Marvel until she took up the mantle? Or when she finally became popular when she went by Martyr? Get real.
>>
>>82389990
Nice theory. But the film and comics division aren't working together anymore so it doesn't really work.
>>
>>82387336
>means paying their creators
>thinking creators own the characters they make for major corporations
>never heard of Jack Kirby
>>
>>82390786
Who did they kill last year?
>>
>>82387891
If Phyla isn't from Earth, how can she make constructs of Gort, King Ghidorah or Ray Harryhausen's greatest hits?
>>
>>82390862
They wouldn't have to. Films decide they want a Quasar but don't want to/can't use Wendell or Phyla so they make an OC. Comics find out, introduce her first.

The comics have been (not so) subtly aping the films for the past decade, this wouldn't be anything more than that.
>>
How many legacy characters has spencer created at this point

Correct me if I'm wrong

beetle in foes
giant-man in ant-man
falcon in captain America
now quasar in standoff

any more I'm missing?
>>
>>82391283
>Beetle in Foes
He didn't create her for Foes. Bendis did in Secret War over 8 years prior. This was even referenced in Superior Foes.
>Falcon in Captain America
It was Remender that had Falcon take up the mantle of Captain America. Falcon had been Cap for over a year by the time Spencer's run started.

So... two legacies. That's not much.
>>
>>82391419
He means the new falcon
>>
>>82390908
Wolverine I think.
>>
>>82391457
Oh right. That slipped my mind.

In that case, yeah, Giant-man in Ant-man Annual, Falcon in Sam Wilson: Captain America, and Quasar in Stand-off.

I think he also made a new legacy for Swordsman in Avengers World, but she went by Swordswoman so I dunno if that counts.
>>
>>82389432
The Quantum Sword became a real boy after Quasar got back his Quantum Bands and made the Quantum Sword into a real boy.
>>
>>82388050
How about you stop shitposting and read some comics?
>>
>>82391283
Didn't Remender create Captain Falcon? Or are you talking about the half-bird/half-mexican guy?
>>
>>82388136
>No space tits

How's he gonna feed that thing?
>>
>>82390880
Jack Kirby did all his creating by the end of the 70s. Creators shared ownership rights started to be a thing in the 80s.
>>
>>82390786
Hashtagging even ironically should be punishable by stomach kicking repeatedly.
>>
>>82386949
>Some bullshit about him loosing control.
Marvel just isn't trying anymore
>>
>>82391716
Were they ever with any of these bullshit legacy characters?
>>
>>82389990
agree with this anon. Elizabeth Debicki will be Phyla.

I fully expect Phyla to show up in Captain Marvel's solo book.

>>82390862
>film and comics division aren't working together anymore
really? guess it's coincidence that we're getting civil war 2 just in time for the movie, and coincidence that Thanos is back just in time to start some major shit for Infinity war in 2018
>>
>>82392046
Thanos has been back since 2012. They didn't bother with coming up with an explanation for 2 fucking years
>>
>>82391615
space goat milk
>>
>>82390862
>film and comics division aren't working together anymore so it doesn't really work.
They probably never worked together to begin with. The comics side of things simply made things movie audience friendly (Usually as editorial mandate) or their own, or blatantly advertised and built up hype for an upcoming movie.

And that hasn't stopped. See "Civil War 2: Shameless Rehashing"
>>
>>82391789
Well Wendell was a legacy to the original Marvel Boy when he first showed up, well technically that marvel boy was an insane double of the original golden age character, but it still counts.
>>
>>82386794
He has a white penis, anon.
>>
>>82392046
>really? guess it's coincidence that we're getting civil war 2
That doesn't mean they're working together. The comics division just apes all movie shit. Even Sony and Fox ones
>>
>>82386657
Well she had returned the bands to Wendell and changed her call sign to "Martyr" before she died, but we should still bring her back.
>>
>>82392972
Why?
>>
>>82392644
So we're in agreement. Jimmy Woo needs to escape limbo and recruit her into ATLAS.
>>
>>82393124
He already has the original marvel boy, and he's better off hiding out in limbo with the rest of the agents of atlas.
>>
>>82391419
>He didn't create her for Foes. Bendis did in Secret War over 8 years prior. This was even referenced in Superior Foes.
I thought she first appeared in Brubaker's Cap run.
>>
>>82393414
She did. Other anon is wrong.
>>
>>82393124
I was actually thinking the other day that Parker might be a cool choice to write some cosmic marvel after Bendis and Humphries move on. The guy excels at fixing clusterfucks.
>>
>>82392954
>Even Sony and Fox ones
lol sure, then explain to me why Marvel cancelled all their X-men books and replaced them with the inhumans?
>>
>>82394273
But there are still x-books being put out.
>>
>>82394273
they didn't, you moron.
>>
>>82393984
Parker has me legit hyped for Future Quest.
>>
>>82393026
Because it;s better than another character being added for no reason. Nick is a pretty decent writer but this is fucking shit.
>>
>>82393984
The sad thing is it's not even that hard to fix clusterfucks.

>figure out where the characters and setting are now and figure out where you want them to be
>decide what needs extended time and focus to be reoriented, and what can be altered more quickly or offhandedly
>do a bit of a homework so you don't shit all over the last guy's work and piss off his fans
>pay attention to your own work and keep it consistent if nothing else

The same basic process can be applied to really any time a new writer takes over a book. It would be easy enough for Bendis to do it if he really cared. This shit ain't rocket science. It's frickin comic books.
>>
>>82386657
Phylla was a failure. You don't want Quasar to be a failure, do you?
>>
>>82386657

Marvel loves making 30 iterations of their cosmic heroes and lesser known guys

Like six motherfuckers have been called Goliath at one point
>>
>>82396985
This, I couldn't give a shit about legacy characters because they're going to be replaced immediately because they want the original or the writer is a lazy to research or write the others.

>the new characters are relevant to the story
Pfft most of the time there are relevant existing characters that they could use so they won't need to make an OC but they don't.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.