[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
These are the first 2 that come to mind.Changes got slammed and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: esss.jpg (150 KB, 594x462) Image search: [Google]
esss.jpg
150 KB, 594x462
These are the first 2 that come to mind.Changes got slammed and hated by everyone but in the end looking back turned out to be pretty good?
>>
>>82065137
they were both awful though.
>>
I'll never forgive them for what they did to Peter.
>>
>>82065137
Superior was an interesting concept that should've been a few story arcs at most.
>>
>>82065137
Both were potentially alright ideas with pretty great designs absolutely SLAMMED by mediocre-to-shit writing. Coincidence?

(Don't know about Spider-Man but there was a proper show of what this Superman could've amounted to but never did in Morrison's JLA)
>>
>>82065245
I agree with this. The greatest Superior Spider-Man stories were actually the ones NOT written by Slott, and I think the bullshit, contrived scenarios that he came up with to hide his true identity is the reason why most people hate it.
>>
Superior was awesome and especially the Slott stuff, it's a meme to say Gage or whomever else did him better, they didnt. Just like Simone struck momentary gold with the old Secret Six, Slott's Superior was great. It felt vital, important, had stakes, and was also a lot of fun.
>>
>>82065352
>simone
>good
>ever
no
>>
>>82065376
Secret Six, and the preceding minis and specials were very good
>>
>>82065352
>especially the Slott stuff
This is either trolling or the definition of shit taste.
>>
Superior was great
>>
>>82065352
>ANY OPINION I DISAGREE WITH IS A MEME
Kill yourself.
>>
>>82066226
Ha. No.
>>
>>82065352
Nothing after OMD is vital or important, it's all non-canon OOC crap
>>
Superior was a critical and commercial success because comic normies love their dumb fun. Only the internet, the people who aren't numerous enough to sustain their favorite titles, hate Slott.
>>
>>82066292
Comic book sites will praise any old shit to get a fresh scoop. Superior is objectively awful

Die of cancer Quesada.
>>
File: Anti.jpg (180 KB, 939x623) Image search: [Google]
Anti.jpg
180 KB, 939x623
>>82065352
>especially the Slott stuff, it's a meme to say Gage or whomever else did him better, they didnt
Slott, is that you?
>>
>>82065137
Superior Spider-man was Dying Wish extended to 30 issues. It also completely relies on one fact: at the time Dan Slott was dead set on claiming Peter shall never come back. So, it's a story that kept hooking some of us in only because we wanted to see if Marvel would be crazy enough to keep Spock even though we understood they wouldn't. But readers who were not there for the ride will most likely view it as useless piece of shit filler.
>>
>>82066330
It was a top ten book from the first to the last.
>>
>>82066292
>DA INTERNET
What, is it 1993 again?
>>
>>82066386
So waht dipshit? ASM is always in the top ten, regardless of how good it is (and it never is) 'cause Spidey is a bankable name.

Hurry up and die of cancer
>>
>>82066423
>ASM is always in the top ten,
No it isn't. Look up Amazing sales the year prior to Superior, Slott's status quo change injected renewed interest.
>>82066422
Well it's not just /co/, comic boards in general hate popular books and praise low sellers.
>>
>>82066466
I've heard this "internet minority" argument for years, and despite the fact that it's been untrue for years now, it still comes up
>>
File: slott sales.png (39 KB, 1012x345) Image search: [Google]
slott sales.png
39 KB, 1012x345
>>
>>82066489
>it's been untrue for years now,
Oh really /co/
>almost universally hates Bendis, Snyder, Slott, all high sellers
>almost universally loves King, Ewing, and Orlando, low sellers
>>
>>82066535
>That rapid drop-off after a high peak
That is literally how clickbait works, inject something ridiculous and exciting to pull in a lot of people that then suffers rapid attrition of interest almost immediately afterwards. Superior was literally the equivalent of clickbait articles in comic book form.

Then again, that's how most long running comic book series work. everything is boring then bait everyone in with "OMG! BIG SHIT HAPPENING RIGHT NOW IN THIS SERIES!" then everyone leaves once they realize it was literally nothing and the comic is still boring and played out because everything is destined to reset to the status quo eventually.
>>
>>82065137
Superior was too long. The venom arc and Goblin War were both total dogshit.
>>
>>82066593
Yes, and do you think the vast majority of comic book readers, which is already a niche, just don't fucking use the internet to discuss comic books? /co/ in itself is a niche of a niche, but don't tell me that the comic book community is a largely non-internet community.
>>
>>82066640
Seemingly most of them don't, unless you know of a particularly community that's all over Bendis and Slott. Comic normies buy what they like and don't feel the need to talk about them.
>>
>>82066670
Comic Normies literally don't exist. It's like saying that normie wrestling fans exist, and are a huge driving force
>>
>>82066593
And I remember a time when /co/ loved naming Dan Slott as one of their favorite Big Two writers... surprise, surprise, that was back when he had written Arkham Asylum Living Hell and She-Hulk. I think when it comes to writing any of the really big superheroes, i.e. Batman, Superman, Spider-Man or Wonder Woman (with Wolverine and Iron Man vying for fifth spot), there's gonna be a much bigger backlash than at any other point in the writer's career, simply because of the sheer number of half-crazed "fans". Remember that when Grant Morrison's Batman arc was on going, a good chunk of /co/ HAAAATED it (and I'm sure they still do, but a lot of people just love to bitch about their favorite character's current run not matching with their platonic ideal, so they moved on to bitching about Snyder).
>>
>>82066707
The alternative is believing that up to a hundred thousand people are buying floppies they hate, which is also uncommon behavior on actual comic boards. Internet fans download and trade wait.
>>
>>82066707
...they kind of... do, though? I mean, there's a REASON guys like Big Show still get pushed despite their whole personality being "Imma beeg guy", and it's because the average WWE fan is a truck-driving, snapback-wearing, beer-swilling midwest Ameribro. I won't deny that the smark community has grown in the past few years, probably bigger today than ever before, ut to WWE management, their safest bet is still pandering to the people who want to see the biggest, baldest, whitest guys win, just like comic book companies can't risk NOT pandering to the people who compulsively buy every issue.

All that being said, I don't think that huge sales numbers on Bendis books doesn't mean those people aren't ALSO bitching about them online. Some people just love to complain, but HATE having "a hole in muh collection."
>>
>>82065137
Superior wasn't hated
Slott was
>>
>>82066247
It was
>>
>>82066640
this is now backpedalling
>>
>>82066981
At least you admit to your backpeadaling
>>
>>82065137
not everyone hated superior, just filthy peterfags
>>
>>82065352
I actually agree with this.

I'm convinced the praise for Yost's Superior (which was good too but not quite as interesting as Slott's) was a byproduct of /co/'s butthurt at Slott, like they subconsciously knew they liked Superior but didn't want to give Slott the satisfaction

the best Superior was still the one written by whoever did that Superior/Hulk/Baby X-Men crossover though.
>>
>>82067062
You can stop baiting now.
>>
>>82066630
I liked Superior but I'll agree with this.

The Venom arc was the worst shit ever, though I did like the first issue or two of Goblin War before it went full retard.
>>
>>82065137
>spock
>pretty good
No.
>>
>>82067096
>if I don't agree with it it's bait!

Are you telling me that crossover with X-Men and Hulk wasn't great?

In regards to Yost v Slott, I liked Yost's Superior books but they lacked the forward momentum of the main book. They were just kind of a bunch of scattered stories that literally all ended Otto sitting in his lab ominously with another Sinister 6 member captured behind him. Could have been better if there'd been more payoff in the end.

Also honorable mention to whoever wrote the Annual where Otto captured that demon and tortured him for fucking with Aunt May, that was a good one too.
>>
If I ever get to pitch and write my Hugo Danner book, I'd give him electric powers.
>>
>>82067159
If you think Slott's garbage is great, you're either an idiot with no taste or just baiting. Given the
>they subconsciously knew they liked Superior but didn't want to give Slott the satisfaction
I assume you're baiting. Fuck off.

>Are you telling me that crossover with X-Men and Hulk wasn't great?
Yes, you low-standards tasteless fuck.
>>
>>82067062
>whoever did that Superior/Hulk/Baby X-Men crossover though.
That was Mike Costa, who's now doing Web-Warriors that /co/ hates because it doesn't have their favorite characters (Kaine, sp//dr etc)
>Also honorable mention to whoever wrote the Annual where Otto captured that demon and tortured him for fucking with Aunt May, that was a good one too.
Gage, Slott's stand-in.
>>
Aaaand Peterfags continue to be sandy vaginas years after this short stint was over, surprising no one.

Shame Marvel decided to betray SpOckfriends and pander to their disgusting kind.
>>
>>82065137
Superior was shit.
>>
File: [spoons rattling].jpg (23 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
[spoons rattling].jpg
23 KB, 500x350
>>82065137
Superior would have been a hundred times better if everyone in Peter's life quickly caught on that this wasn't the real Peter and tried to hunt down Octavius, while he stuck to the shadows and tried to do his whole new "hero" shtick without being captured by all the superheroes out for his head.

You cannot debate this.
>>
>>82065376
Anon you can tell us you didn't read Secret Six when it came out. Its ok, theyre being recollected, at a fair price
>>
>>82065137
Neither of these were good when they came out or now. Stop being a retard, OP.
>>
>>82066386
Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey were hot sellers and gobs and gobs and gobs of money. Bayformers and Bayturtles made fucktons of money. Do you salivate over that trash, too?

Sales =/= quality
>>
>>82066466
>Slott's status quo change injected renewed interest.

It started being a top ten seller well into Brand New Day, before Slott was the sole writer.
>>
>>82066707
>Comic Normies literally don't exist.
If you truly believe this, go to a theater when a new comic book movie comes out and listen to "fan discussion" while you wait for the movie to start. And then again after the movie ends.
>>
>>82068345
See >>82066535
Sales eventually fell off.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.