[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.popmythology.com/mark-mi llar-huck-superhero-we-n
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 12
File: huck-01.jpg (1 MB, 1500x2278) Image search: [Google]
huck-01.jpg
1 MB, 1500x2278
http://www.popmythology.com/mark-millar-huck-superhero-we-need/

>Huck is the superhero we need right now more than ever.

>He is the hero who, more than any other fictitious one out there—yes, even the iconic Marvel and DC ones—personifies my vision of an ideal hero who is not only very possible to emulate in real-life but whose very existence and qualities cry out for such emulation.

>He practices small, everyday acts of kindness
>He channels his powers into such acts of kindness
>He writes down doable acts of kindness on his to-do list
>His needs and wants are simple (in an age when people want everything)
>He is courteous, considerate and polite (in an age when these are unpopular qualities)

I don't know why, but this article makes me mad. Maybe it's to do with Millar getting any credence after "Kick-Ass 2" and "Nemesis".
>>
File: Grant-morrison-and-mark-waid.jpg (82 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
Grant-morrison-and-mark-waid.jpg
82 KB, 500x333
>>82037338
>HEY GUYS BUY MY EDGY SHIT PLEASE
>>
File: The Frank of Punishing.png (154 KB, 429x630) Image search: [Google]
The Frank of Punishing.png
154 KB, 429x630
>>82037338
>Maybe it's to do with Millar getting any credence after "Kick-Ass 2" and "Nemesis"
And why would that make you angry?
>>
>>82037387
Not OP, but Millar is obviously trying to pass as a good writer instead of the edgelord he's always been.
>>
>>82037447
Are those two things mutually exclusive though?
>>
>>82037387
Millar has pretty much made a name for himself writing movies pitches and selling them as comic books, and also movie rights and that jazz and whatnot. And also he's an edgelord.

And then he goes on to say that "Man of Steel" traumatized him so much he felt the need to write this book.

It just feels like dissonance, is all. Like he's going for a market he's never bothered writing for because it's the hit new thing.
>>
Who's Huck?
>>
>>82037338
The article actually makes me want to check Huck, i'm not very fond of Millar, but Starlight was fairly entertaining and not particularity edgy,
>>
>>82037471
Yes, anon. Unless you love gore, that is.
>>
Miller isn't a idiot, he knows edgy heroes tend to sell more comics so that's what he writes, you think every creator likes everything they ever do? You do what you have to do to make money.
>>
>>82037503
Why though? Watchmen is kinda edgy, but that doesn't stop it from being an amazing work. Transmetropolitan is edgy as hell, but that's also very good.
>>
>>82037510
>maybe like Garth Ennis
Nope.

>>82037553
We already have the Big Two for that; if he considers himself better, why does he make the same shit as them?
>>
File: Most Hated Creators.png (561 KB, 1345x1345) Image search: [Google]
Most Hated Creators.png
561 KB, 1345x1345
>/co/ gets angry at Millar for writing violent and edgy comics
>Millar stops writing violent and edgy comics
>/co/ can't stop getting angry
Millar is capable of moving on, but /co/ is not. Does that mean that Millar is more mature than us?
>>
File: Sonny what.jpg (25 KB, 369x281) Image search: [Google]
Sonny what.jpg
25 KB, 369x281
>>82037575
>Watchmen is kinda edgy
>>
>>82037476
>Millar has pretty much made a name for himself writing movies pitches and selling them as comic books

What's wrong with being ahead of the curve?
>>
>>82037578
What, you haven't read Of Thee I Sing? Because it is an amazing comic, and a great look at Superman.
>>
>>82037578
The big two has comics like Kingsman, Kick Ass and Nemesis?
>>
>>82037615
No, thanks. I blacklisted him after Ultimates. Ad stop the shilling, will you?

>>82037618
No, but they have bad books like those too.
>>
>>82037603
How the fuck is it not edgy? Have you even read it? The rape, the gory violence, the fucking genocide, etc.
>>
>>82037618
Protip: The comic isn't called Kingsman.
>>
>>82037603
>rape
>violence
>blood & gore
>nudity
>moral subjectivism
>deconstructing cape comics

If it came out today, /co/ would cry about it being "SJW" and "edgy".
>>
>>82037642
I don't care if it's them being bad, are they creating books like those that Miller has done?
>>
>>82037642
Ennis didn't right The Ultimates though.
Unless you think I'm talking about Millar.
>>
>>82037642
Protip: "Ultimates" and "Of Thee I Sing" are by two different writers.
>>
>>82037611
Nothing at all. It's his MO now; it's almost expected that his upcoming books sell their film rights before the first issue is published.

It's actually somewhat odd that the film rights to "Huck" haven't sold yet, if they are planned to be sold at all.
>>
>>82037338

>His needs and wants are simple (in an age when people want everything)

oh NO FUCKING SHIT. who the hell wouldn't be moderate and simple in his/her needs when they have fucking superpowers or can fucking fly

>food
check
>housing
not even necessary
>attention
everybody literally loves you

I just hate how motherfuckers think everybody would go booster gold if they had superpowers
>>
>>82037651
>>82037662
>I watched the movie
>>
>>82037738
Can't say I have, though as I've heard it the movie skips page after page of dead bodies killed by the squid.
>>
>>82037738
Are you being purposefuly obtuse now? That page after the giant squid monster massacres New York is enough to put it in edgy territory.
>>
>>82037738
We're in a thread devoted to complaints about Huck from people who haven't even tried Huck.

You don't have any ground to stand on.
>>
>>82037787
>>82037785
>comparing Millar to Alan Moore
>>
>>82037775
>>82037785
>>82037787
>blood and death is edgy

Jesus Christ, you millennials think everything that is not sugar coated is edgy.
>>
>>82037818
Are you stupid?
>>
>>82037738
The movie has less edgy violence than the comic though
>>
Huck isn't even edgy
>>
>>82037338
Oh, is it time for the Mark Millar Overblown Hype Train to leave the station? He usually takes a few years off, I was hoping this was the end of it. Silly me.
>>
>>82037819
Were you born on or after 1980? Congratulations, you are a millennial.
>>
>>82037662
You're aware that none of those elements were gratuitous. Unlike Millar books, where he tries to "epater le bourgeois" so hard.

Not to mention that it was quite adult for the 1980s. Now? It is tired, repetitive, pointless.
>>
>>82037856
Millar could announce a charity drive to fund a hospital for orphaned children, and /co/ would still find a reason to get mad at him.
>>
>>82037867
Huck wasn't bad.
But it was the second tiresome thing he's written right before Chrononauts.

It's entertaining, but doesn't have that punch to it.
Still...Starlight 2 this autumn.
>>
>>82037924
He'd do it for the attention whoring, millarfag.
>>
>>82037924
>Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to announce the Millarworld Charity Drive to fund a hospital and library for orphaned children.
>The library will be called the Millarworld Presents Mark Millar's Library For Orphaned Hospital Patients and will contain three hundred copies of every published trade collection of my works.
>Similarly, the hospital will be named the Millarworld Presents The Mark Millar Memorial Hospital For The Orphans. Every patient will receive a custom-fitted Kick-Ass or Hit-Girl costume upon entering. Yes, even the amputees!
>>
>>82038023
I see no problems with this.
>>
>>82038061
Of course you don't...
>>
>>82037338
Why do peope still act like we're in the 90s boom of grim amd edgy anti-heroes. We got comics like Ms.Marvel where the bright cheery superhero saves the day.
>>
Huck is bad because its so disingenous
a.) it's mark millar saying, "WE NEED REAL SPECIAL DOPEY-VOICED TOM HANKS FORREST GUMP SUPERHEROES EVEN THOUGH I SPENT MY LIFE WRITING THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF THAT"
b.) it becomes even more disingenous when you find out he is Fox studios clientele and is getting his movie pitches produced and made, so it seems like he's just doing shit for the cash they hand him
b.) Millar treats his audience like they're fucking children who need to be told that these are the heroes we need. what the fuck
>>
>>82038074
Hey, I ain't even a Millar fanboy. I just think the guy having his own army of sickly little Kick-Asses would be fun to watch.
>>
>>82038145
So you're saying that you don't give Millar permission to change his mind?
>>
>>82038145
>WE NEED REAL SPECIAL DOPEY-VOICED TOM HANKS FORREST GUMP SUPERHEROES EVEN THOUGH I SPENT MY LIFE WRITING THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF THAT
Have you not read Red Son?
>>
>>82037387
>>82037375

Pretty much these. After years of making a name for himself by de-constructing the Superhero Paradigm with stuff like Kick-Ass, Nemesis, and Wanted, he wants to try to re-construct that paradigm to show that he can do real and honest superhero stuff.

And yeah, the added bonus of turning them into media tie-ins too.
>>
>>82038119
What's grim and edgy about Huck?
>>
>>82038145
No, much like Chrononauts, it's main problem is that it tries too hard not to do anything at all.
Even The Secret Service had something bubbling under the surface.
>>
File: downloads_2016-03-04_17-39-15.jpg (40 KB, 436x373) Image search: [Google]
downloads_2016-03-04_17-39-15.jpg
40 KB, 436x373
>>82038119
Hi, Casual #15.

>>82038153
He'd be arrested for pedophilia, of course. And become a jail bride.
>mfw
>>
>>82038173
it would be changing his mind if it weren't linked to him trashing other companies and his books getting movie deals. it's not genuine or real and so huck becomes this "real special boy" autistic thing that's millar playing to the cynics and the nostalgics and its just fucking awful
>>
>>82038227
because its a movie pitch
>>
>>82038224
I'm not calling Huck grim and edgy, I'm just saying that Huck is not a cool glass in the hot dessert sun.
>>
>>82038245
It honestly just sounds to me like you're looking for reasons to get angry. Do you feel like your life is empty when you're without anger?
>>
>>82038279
Let's get real, they all are.
Even the one that felt least like one, the Jupiter's Saga, got optioned.

But Chrononauts and Huck are just....nothing.
>>
>>82038245
>it's not genuine or real
Because?
>>
>all these millar shills itt rigorously defending his at best average material like clockwork
>>
>>82038311
Do you feel empty when you're not acting sanctimonious?
>>
>>82038279
Do you know who else makes movie pitch comics? Grant Morrison. But nobody gets angry at him for that.

I guess it's not the act itself which makes you angry. It's the memes that surround the person making that act.
>>
>>82038329
Because it's style over substance.
>>
Millar's a salesman, first and foremost. I don't think he's ever really changed his mind about superheroes/entertainment in general because it's never really been about what he personally felt about this or that. It's about what strikes a chord with the readership. He wrote "edgy" stuff when that was the thing to do and he'll write softer stuff if that's the thing to do now. Simple as that.
>>
Does anybody remember when you could dislike a creator's body of work, but that didn't mean their body of work is worthless?
>>
>>82038353
but Morrison is at least a decent writer who puts technical effort into his scripts. researches into cosmology and theology, symbolism laid out visually, and he demands equal effort of his collaborators. Even a comic like Klaus has its complexities. Millar writes standard/average blockbuster fare that doesn't deserve high holy praise
>>
>>82038421
True, but also Starlight was a fucking great time.

It's just, yeah, annoying when the least effort Millar puts in (depends on how much regular effort you figure he does) gets all of this frenzy.
And then you get the news that sometimes he neuters his own works

Like how Chrononauts was meant to be more of a solemn Quantum Leap affair, before it became a substandard buddy comedy.
>>
>>82038493
I just wish Millar would put the time and effort into writing something like adventures of superman again. That was his best body of work imo and really represented what he could do back when he was mainly a comics man
>>
>>82038533
also i'd say aztek and flash were decent but those were written in collaboration with morrison
>>
>>82038332
Why is that "at best average" material even getting attacked in the first place?

Such harmless comics don't deserve any rage. But really, I'm just so tired of our daily rage threads. I'm so tired of rage culture in general. I don't think rage culture is productive for /co/. I don't think rage culture is healthy for /co/.

It's really unnerving to me how much rage culture is shaping behavior here. Take Millar as an example. Look at how many people in this thread are raging about comics that they haven't even tried.

You know why that is?

If someone made a thread advertised as
>Storytime for a Bad Millar Comic
then all these ragers would pile into that thread. But if someone made
>Storytime for a Good Millar Comic
then these ragers would avoid that thread like the plague.

They're forcing themselves to read bad comics and to avoid reading good comics, just because they don't want to damage the narrative that they've built up in their head. That's sick. That's scary to me.

Memes are more important than the truth now, I guess.
>>
>>82038569
Wouldn't you give credit for those to both Morrison and Millar? It takes two wings to fly, after all.
>>
>>82037338
because it's pretentious. makes me mad too.
>>
>>82037338
It's hard to come off as snore grating than Waid and Slott but by god is Millar going for it.
>>
>>82038533
Why should Millar be relegated to only big two related things and not branch out?
>>
>>82037338
>Huck is the superhero we need right now more than ever.

I think the superhero we need right now is for Millar's Crohn's to step up already and end our suffering.
>>
>>82038703
How does Huck make you suffer?
>>
>>82038533
>>82038569
the "Not Alan Scott" issue of his Swamp Thing run was the best of that run I think
>>
>>82038921
Curt Swan tho.
>>
>>82038959
Oh yeah!
That issue was a riot.
>>
>>82037338
I agree with Millar but he's the last person who should be saying this.
He practically personified edgy comics for years, people like him are exactly why we're getting the Cinematic Superman we're getting.
Millar pissed in the Cheerios and now he's complaing about the piss in his Cheerios.
>>
File: Mark Millar Superman.jpg (55 KB, 321x474) Image search: [Google]
Mark Millar Superman.jpg
55 KB, 321x474
>>82039167
But Millar's Superman is as far away from edgy as you can get.
>>
>>82038187
or Adventures of Superman
>>
>>82039253
>>82039309
After what he did to Paul Levitz, Millar is forever blacklisted at DC.
>>
>>82038245
I think you're being extremely cynical and you very obviously haven't read his Adventures of Superman. Millar's an asshole but he does enjoy a good hero archetype.
>>
>>82038406
Also when a creator's personal life and personality could be divested from their work. Absolutism and overreaction unfortunately appear to be on the rise.
>>
>>82039370
>a creator's personal life and personality could be divested from their work
Ah, old memes.
>>
>>82039167
Yeah, after the Unfunnies he's really got no leg to stand on.
>>
>>82039336
?
>>
Huck is good. Issue 6 came out today.
>>
>>82039437
From Supergods:
>Mark Millar, now embedded at Marvel and still smarting over the censorship of Authority, posted on his website a photograph of Levitz next to a passport shot of a then notorious Euro pedophile and asked browsers if they
could tell the diference. Levitz, who had elected, in old-DC style, to play the role of gray-templed gentleman, resolutely ignored the ruffians hurling their excreta at his
drawing room window, but quietly placed his
tormentors on a DC blacklist.
>>
>>82039704
So nobody has made this claim other than Morrison?
>>
>>82039819
>L-LIES!
OK, then explain why isn't he writing Supes, millarfag.
>>
>>82039838
>then explain why isn't he writing Supes,
Because he's focusing on creator-owned comics.

>millarfag.
Please don't treat me like your enemy. Having differences in our opinions does not (or should not) make us enemies.
>>
>>82039945
>he's focusing on creator-owned comics
Nice excuse, bro.
>Having differences in our opinions does not (or should not) make us enemies.
Well, people who like Millar are evil.
>>
>>82037447
Have you check his old stuff?
Mark Millar is far from being a edgelord, the man always makes his violent stuff over the top because he doesn't know how to make an evil character unless he exagerates all their characteristics. Like a woman who doesn't know men making his male character an over the top version of a male
His superman adventures, red son, Aztek, superior and starlight are quite amazing and heart warming.
>>
>>82040638
>Have you check his old stuff?
Oh yes, that Spider story where that lovely antihero was a cannibal
>>
>>82040679
So you didn't read the rest of the post.
The man is quite good when it comes to making goody two shoes stuff. And his edgy stuff is usually over the top and exagerated he even mentioned in a interview he doesn't know how to make an evil character.
You should really check starlight or even Jupiter Legacy.
Frank Quitely mentioned how of a good guy and enthusiastic Millar is. All the artist that worked with him love the man.
Even guys like parlov.
He is far from being edgy
>>
>>82040798
>He is far from being edgy
Someone didn't read Authority, Unfunnies, Nemesis, Kick-Ass...?
>>
>>82040798
>All the artist that worked with him love the man's checks
Fixed.
>>
>>82040830
Actually I did. And even the authority hada lot of heart warming moments besides the violent stuff.
And like I explained the unfunnies, nemesis are over the top stuff because he doesn't know how to make a bad guy. Bomb in the womb of some teenager, come on. If you can't see I'm afraid I can't help you change your opinion of a good writers like him
>>
>>82040892
Frank quotely is a good friend of him. They even post pictures on twitter of both having him. Same with other writers that and Millar always gives 50% of the rights and profits to the people he is working with
>>
File: Denial BL5.jpg (91 KB, 443x721) Image search: [Google]
Denial BL5.jpg
91 KB, 443x721
>>82041050
>worte a lot of crap
>"H-he's very good, guys!"

>>82041117
Quitely is also a friend of Morrison, so obviously Millar wants FQ for himself.
>>
>>82037575
Watchmen is not edgy, because it was edgy before edgy was edgy, so you could said is pre-edgy, but edgy was not recognyzed as edgy under the pre-edgyness era of books like watchmen, so you can't call it edgy
>>
>>82039819
Not the guy you're responding to but I actually thought the same as you back when Morrison claimed Millar was banned from writing Superman in an interview years before Supergods. I knew that there'd been a falling-out between Morrison and Millar so I thought that it was just him talking shit.

But around the time Paul Levitz stepped down, Rob Liefeld (who actually is still friends with Millar) had some angry words toward Levitz at the time and brought up how Millar still remained blacklisted.

Also, remember that the only "new" work of Millar's that got published by DC after Millar left Authority was Red Son, which was already in the works. Waid came back to DC and did Superman Birthright. Morrison came back to DC and did All Star Superman. But Millar, a guy who gushed about how he would fix Superman with Bryan Hitch (this was back in 2005), still hadn't. And it'd be easy to say it's just because Millar decided to extend his exclusive contract with Marvel, but I think someone like him who's that much of a Superman fanboy wouldn't have hesitated to return to DC if they allowed him to.
>>
>>82037585
>/co/ hates Ennis
What faggot made this list?
>>
>>82042290

>2013/04/01
>Bad creators are a diamond dozen in this doggy dog world

Wow, you're a smart one.
>>
File: ock.jpg (25 KB, 419x412) Image search: [Google]
ock.jpg
25 KB, 419x412
>>82042290
>old as fuck bait pic
>still works like a charm
>>
>>82042339
>>82042401
Guess I kind of jumped the gun there. Outside of Miller and Ennis, I kind of agree the other writers are mostly shit (even if some of the comics they use for examples are the exception).
>>
>>82037338
Huck's not particularly good, but neither is it bad. I find it incredibly generic and derivative but it tells an ok story for a 6 issue run. I feel the same some of his other recent Image series like Starlight or Chrononauts. I never regretted reading them but there was never anything particularly noteworthy about them. It's pretty obvious they're basically movie pitches so it might just be the lack of genuine soul behind them. In the end, if it wasn't for the art I probably wouldn't bother reading them.
>>
>>82037476
Wasn't Superior and 1984 more straight up heroism compared to the rest of his stuff? I haven't read them yet so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>82038392
I think he gets it from Morrison. Even with the gap in their talent, both know how to sell themselves. Millar picked up his shrewdness quite well.
>>
>>82037945

Millar is less of an attention whore than Morrison. Millar is just successful.
>>
File: SWBTBFID3.jpg (15 KB, 319x261) Image search: [Google]
SWBTBFID3.jpg
15 KB, 319x261
>>82042974
>Morrison is a nobody
>>
>>82042974
>Millar is less of an attention whore than Morrison.

Eh, that's debatable.

>Millar is just successful.

This part is true though.
>>
>>82043055
Morrison is successful too. But the usual casuals think that if you have a live action adaptation you're the best ever.
>>
>>82043026

I'm not saying that Morrison is a nobody, i'm saying that Millar succeeds where Morrison fails.

Morrison tried to turn himself into a rockstar of comics, tried to get his comics to become movies, tries to be known outside of the comic world and such, but more often than not he fails. Whereas Millar just knows this stuff and is very easy for him.
>>
>>82037882
>1980
>millenial
this is embarrasing at this point
>>
>>82040638
>-the man always makes his violent stuff over the top because he doesn't know how to make an evil character unless he exagerates all their characteristics.

Reminds of a comment I read after that time Millar outright admitted to using rape as a shortcut to establishing that someone is bad. Went something along the lines of, "Sexual assault is Millar's equivalent of a Decepticon logo".
>>
File: shilling_1963_reverse.png (96 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
shilling_1963_reverse.png
96 KB, 220x220
>>82043196
>>82043095
Also,
>implying Mark Millar is world famous
Here's your fee.
>>
>>82043196
He's like bendis if bendis could get a break. He's still a shit writer for the most part. He has amazing ideas with really awful execution. His characters aren't characters so much as one dimensional little cardboard cut outs. It pisses me off that a better writer could have made half the shit he's done good.
>>
>>82043196
>tried to turn himself into a rockstar of comics
And he is.

>>82043315
>millarfag trying harder than before
You're just too mad.
>>
>>82043348
>Call millar shit
>That implies I like him.
What world do you live on?
>>
>>82041263
It was edgy in the original sense that it pushed the boundaries of what kind of stories comics could tell. "Edgy" as in "daring" or "against the grain," not in the modern vernacular of "blood, sex & violence" that people have appropriated it as.
>>
>>82043376
You were responding to the post where anon says Morrison is a nobody, that's why I thought you were shilling for Millar.
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.