[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>a hack romance author is better than 50% of Marvel's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: marjorie liu.jpg (302 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
marjorie liu.jpg
302 KB, 1024x681
>a hack romance author is better than 50% of Marvel's writing staff

On another note, how is Monstress?
>>
>>82028183
> how is Monstress?
mediocre
>>
>>82028435
I've been told the first two issues are better than everything King wrote in 2015.
>>
>>82028183
I personally told her that X-23's solo run needs her back. She seemed pretty content with Monstress and I don't blame her. Marvel needs to get their shit together.
>>
That's not difficult when Marvel only had one good writer and he turned exclusive for DC. Other than the 90's I can't think of a time when Marvel has been worse. After Vision ends, Marvel don't have even a single good book they're putting out. Lemire and Soule should have been the heavy hitters but they both failed leaving Marvel with 0 good writers. There's also next to no good artists there. About every single ANAD book I looked at had a house Marvel style and I find their house style off-putting
>>
>>82028637

>I've been told

Good to know you don't actually read comics.
>>
>>82028637
Jesus Christ no. The first to issues are boring nonsense that struggles to have any interesting characterization or actually tell a story between 80 pages.
>>
>>82028183
>On another note, how is Monstress?

The art really is the most interesting thing about it. The story is completely meh. I'd like to contributed the interesting fantasy world to Liu, but kinda can't because honestly it's still so much just the visual marvel that make it interesting rather than the setting itself.
>>
File: 1403223350967.png (63 KB, 219x255) Image search: [Google]
1403223350967.png
63 KB, 219x255
>>82028183
I really enjoyed the world they built but I feel like they stumbled at introducing the world. The first issue was pretty confusing and took multiple readings to grasp the status quo.
>>
Monstress reads like some YA girl anime tier shit. The art is great tho.
>>
>>82028183
> how is Monstress?
It's generally good. The art is of course, very nice. Although the Ancients/Furries look like shooped heads from a meme and some of the designs look very Korean MMO-ish.

Best part of Monstress are the bad guys, who simply work on a completely amoral system of morality. The worldbuilding we see through observing them's pretty good.

The main good guys are bland. The "cute" aspects are meh, although luckily, they don't dominate the series. Worldbuilding is generally okay but can be hamfisted when they go into exposition mode at the end of some issues.

First couple issues are actually pretty good, then issues 3 and 4 just felt too short with nothing much happening. The recent issue 5 has more happening to get the story going but is still ultimately just setup.

All in all, Monstress is something I look forward to every month, but I look forward to the brief times with the villains more than the heroine.
>>
>>82028183
>>a hack romance author is better than 50% of Marvel's writing staff

You say that like it's an accomplishment.
>>
>>82028183
why do you need to rake this thread every week?

do you work on one of those viral shitposting companies?
>>
She can write me a story if you know what I mean.
>>
>>82028183
Why do you keep posting this shit faggot?
>>
Monstress is good, but it reads like a YA book. That causes issues with pacing and worldbuilding.

If we're talking comics-as-comics, then this is why >>82028637 just isn't true. King writes a comic as a comic. Liu writes it like a book.
>>
>>82028183
She's not better. Just fuckable.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.