[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are your thoughts on comic writer jonathan hickman's work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: hickman.jpg (21 KB, 220x211) Image search: [Google]
hickman.jpg
21 KB, 220x211
what are your thoughts on comic writer jonathan hickman's work?
>>
>>82018657
Is that how he looks? I've always imagined him as Grant Morrison with blonde hair.
>>
>>82019678
he's more akin to warren ellis
>>
>>82019905
He looks to me more like JRJR.

I only know how the old school creators look, I never payed attention to new/newish people
>>
>>82019982
ahh. hickman's got some good books here and there.
his avengers/new avengers/secret wars is the biggest mixed bag of greatness and absolute shit that I followed for 3 years
>>
>>82018657
I've enjoyed what i have read of his.The F4/FF run, his avengers work, the ultimates (he did give us the maker), even secret wars.

I think at times he can overstretch what hes capable of as far as handling the kind of crazy mindfuckery the likes of morrison and moore typically delve into. But he still does some cool shit and I almost always find his stories entertaining. Fuck what is he doing now that hes done with marvel post secret wars?
>>
>>82020168
I always thought his writing was more akin to warren ellis. he doesn't do meta-magic shit in the same way as morrison but writes more like warren ellis imo. lots of cool moments stringing up to something bigger. Ironically his favorite morrison comic is The Filth

He's still doing East of West and has a new image title out in August with Tomm Coker
>>
>>82018657
Miller had Daredevil
Moore had Swamp thing...and supreme....and Marvelman.
Morrison had the Doom Patrol

I think Hickman needs one of those. Some comic nobody gives a shit about anymore that he can take, put his own spin on, and rework into something really interesting. He's done good shit on many books but they've all been properties so well established he couldn't really leave his mark beyond 'a good run'.

Do something with The forever people, or the infinite man, or the shadow cabinet.
>>
are you sure that's not kevin smith in 1993
>>
>>82020484
he wants to do legion of superheroes, blue devil, or doctor fate. he joked about DC hiring him this year on twitter and people bought it but just last week on a podcast he said he has no interest in capes at the moment. the secret wars buildup (where scripts would be written days before deadline) killed his momentum
>>
File: 4811776_640px.jpg (52 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
4811776_640px.jpg
52 KB, 640x640
>>82018657
>>82019678
more recent image
>>
>>82020654
>>82020484
honestly imo i think east of west is better than anything he could do with capes so whatever
>>
I liked his hickmanverse shit at first, and by at first I mean for years, but the fact that he never really wrapped up so many plot threads and just abandoned them in the end left a bad taste in my mouth and made me retroactively like his stuff less. I know it's irrational and a lot probably had to do with Marvel editorial always sticking their cock where it doesn't belong but I just can't help but feel disappointed.
>>
I keep meaning to read God is Dead because I hear it's hilariously retarded (like a lot of Avatar Press).
>>
>>82021535
hickman wrote like the first 6 issues and costa did the rest
>>
>>82021535
>>82021694

Spurrier and Moore also contributed.
>>
New east of west tomorrow. what did you guys think of the most recent trade/last arc?
>>
>>82018657
I enjoyed his Fantastic Four
>>
His Fantastic Four is my favorite Marvelshit ever.
>>
His SHIELD mini was GOAT

sadly he never finished telling that story

i like most of other stuff.
>>
>>82018657
All build-up, no pay-off.
He spins his wheels with SUPER DEEP MYSTERIOUS CRYPTIC buzzwords but you can tell he doesn't actually plan these things out.

He is the Damon lindeloff of comics.
>>
>>82020228
>has a new image title out in August with Tomm Coker
>Manhattan Projects is ded
>so is The Dead and Dying
that stings a little.
>>
>>82023954
>He is the Damon lindeloff of comics.

Hickman's "pay-off" is average

That he is so good at building shit up is what makes it look worse in comparison.

Still 10x better than most other cape writers atm
>>
>>82023302
Been enjoying it so far, interested to see what Ezra's planning. Kind of wish we'd see more of Death or the other Horsemen.
>>
>>82023954
Fantastic Four does build up and payoff perfectly. That's an ok description of Avengers though.
>>
he really needs to stop using those blank title pages that are all over his work

liked ff, fantastic four, and manhattan projects

east of west is okay

avengers had a few bright spots, mainly when cannonball/sunspot/smasher were being used, but was mostly either forgettable or bad

infinity and new avengers were garbage

secret wars.. i think most of what i liked there was actually in the tie-in books, rather than his main title?
>>
>>82024222
read his SHIELD

its his best marvel stuff
>>
Capes are C level SF
>>
>>82023992
the dead and the dying will come back either late this year or next. bodenheim is just slow. same thing happened with secret
>>
>>82024222
>avengers had bright spots
>new avengers was garbage

how can your taste be this shit?
>>
>>82023954
>All build-up, no pay-off.
And which books of his are these then?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.