[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this movie good or does /co/ just like it because of skeleton
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: The_Book_of_Life.jpg (62 KB, 300x445) Image search: [Google]
The_Book_of_Life.jpg
62 KB, 300x445
Is this movie good or does /co/ just like it because of skeleton waifus?
>>
It's a good flick. I'd watch a sequel.
>>
yeh it's good and pretty
>>
>>82008020
There's a lot of good stuff, the fact that there's a love triangle without a douchebag, the whole set up of the universe, the animation... there's a lot of the worst kids movie tropes in there too, though, like feminism being dumbed down to a series of catch phrases and some really, really stupid jokes.
>>
It's alright. It's gorgeous to look at and all of the Mexican culture stuff is cool but it has one of the most cliched plots I've ever seen. It's worth a watch once for the visuals but it's not a movie you'll want to come back to.
>>
>>82008020
Worth watching, but not special in any way other than the visuals
I thought it was going to be a really cool "different" story than most kids movies, since it was based off Mexican culture and the most mexican kids movies get is Beverly Hills Chihuahua, but honestly its kinda boring.
and only like two of the songs are good
>>
Beautiful visuals. Dogshit story.
>>
>>82008020
Visually lovely but the story-telling was pretty flat and the pacing was all over the place. Not to the mention the 80's style 'I'm not a prize to be won' from miss love interest.
>>
>>82009256

One of those better be Ecstasy of motherfucking gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq9HOH-gKcY
>>
>>82008020

I think it's an enjoyable enough movie, and I like the characters and the triangle.

But the pacing is weird as shit, particularly because of the use of the framing device, which interrupts the movie unnecesarily.

Even if those segments have cute redheaded human Catrina, it's not worthy to keep them.
>>
It's not very good. Overuse of pop culture references, not enough time in the land of the dead. Also, Ice Cube was terrible and jarring
>>
>>82008020
It's decent, but nothing remarkble.
>>
I always thought it was just too full. Too full of plot threads and character arcs.
There was barely any breathing space. As a result we don't get to really explore the setting and don't get much of a feeling for it.
>>
>>82008020
Skeleton waifus.
>>
>>82008020
Of all movies i've ever watch it would probably be the most visually appealing animated movie i've ever seen. Things like the land of the remembered and the design of the gods just oozes with style and color. It's goddamn beautiful in every frame. Except for the land of the forgotten but of course that place is literally hell so no one cares.

For story tho it's gets low points. It's pretty much two gods doing a world changing bet on the out come of a love triangle. All main characters for me were likable. Really like the skeleton family, thought they were funny.

I recommend a watch, maybe two. If you are more for visuals over story then watch how many times you want.
>>
>>82014061
>Also, Ice Cube was terrible and jarring

Fucking this. Holy shit talk about tonal clash.
>>
This movie is so pretty I think my eyes went into shock.
>>
>>82017012
>but of course that place is literally hell so no one cares.
Nah, it's purgatory. Hell is the Land of the Cursed. We didn't see it this flick.
>>
It's flawed but I like it a lot anyway.
>>
Needed more of La Muerte.

Also the parts with the kids were pointless and uneeded.
>>
>>82020001
>back story and context to their love/friendship
>unnecesery
>>
>Guy doesn't kill the bull for the sole reason of getting with the woman.
>Is the good guy that everyone miss understands.

>Brother saves town constantly by himself for years and asks for nothing in return.
>The one time he does ask though is if it's ok for him to travel and find love.
>Everyone calls him an asshole.
>They then try to force him to marry the girl in which the whole time he says that it's wrong.
>Still the asshole.
>>
>>82020949
>Joaquin
>asshole
when was this ever established? Joaquin was a total bro through and through
>>
>>82008020

Literally no excuse not to at least redbox it
>>
>>82020921
Probably referring to the students.
>>
>>82023371
The story made it pretty clear he was meant to be the arrogant jackass. The dinner scene pretty much spelt it out.
>>
>>82008020
I mean skeleton waifus are legit.

That said, I love the visuals but the jokes in this movie were much more trite than I expected them to be. One of the gags involves cholesterol for cryin' out loud.
>>
incorporating pop songs in this was cringey
should've made their oc donut songs instead
>>
>>82008020
great movie, watch it now.
>>
>>82008020
I just watched it. It felt very authentically Mexican, captured the vibe of a folktale well and was a fucking visual treat

But it's also a little lame at parts and too silly for it's own good. Still worth a watch though
>>
>>82024150
He's not meant to be an asshole, just kinda oblivious.
>>
>>82008020
honestly, theres only two complaints that could be made
Grill power (and they were all incredibly talented and competent at what they did, not just maria)
and the pacing, which is absolute shit, specifically in the last third

the entire movie is paced wrong, and they dont spend nearly enough time on certain things they should
>>
>>82020921

The students Catrina is telling the movie to. The part with Joaquin, Manolo and Maria as kids was great.
>>
File: arturo.jpg (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
arturo.jpg
55 KB, 500x500
Nothing bad about it, great character design and art, but the story is meh at best.

The best thing is the apology song.
>>
It summarizes my thoughts on Jorge Gutierrez's works as a whole, I adore his artstyle but his writing overall leaves a lot to be desired
>>
>>82024150

Arrogant and full of himself doesn't make him an asshole.
>>
File: Donny.gif (930 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Donny.gif
930 KB, 250x250
It has a terrible pacing between when to be serious and when to throw in jokes. Every scene fall so flat becuse of it. Especially the final which is supposed to be a big awesome showdown but is just a garbled mess of slapstick jokes.

Compare it with Kung fu Panda 2 which knew when to joke and when to have a, sorry, "epic" moment. Book of Life tries to joke all the time throughout the entire movie which ruins the movie it tries to be.
>>
File: oh yeah.jpg (191 KB, 849x941) Image search: [Google]
oh yeah.jpg
191 KB, 849x941
It is a good movie. too bad i couldnt watch on the cinema.
>>
Why do people want to fuck skeletons? BACK IN MY DAYS, WE WANTED TO FUCK THE ANTHRO ANIMALS
>>
I think the "toro i'm sorry" scene would have been better if Manolo actually killed the bull at the beginning of the movie

Then again, while it had beautiful visuals the movie was very paper thin plot and writing speaking
>>
File: Cunt ate my violet crumble.gif (415 KB, 221x200) Image search: [Google]
Cunt ate my violet crumble.gif
415 KB, 221x200
>>82031534
>Any joke with the pig
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.