[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't they just sell comic books at the theaters whenever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 154226-von zipper 007.jpg (650 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
154226-von zipper 007.jpg
650 KB, 2592x1944
Why don't they just sell comic books at the theaters whenever a new comic book movie opens? You know, trick some parents into buying them for their kids.
>>
>>82006590
They charge the fuck out of concessions, imagine the mark-up on that.

Single issues for $10.
>>
>>82006629
People still buy those concessions. This is not for the comic book fan, it's for the dumb person that buys concessions or parent that buys crap for their kids to shut them up for a bit.
>>
lol I know that civil war book, it's just an encyclopedia of people on the registration side

I don't get how those sell, who buys them
>>
>>82006590
>>82006629
Absolutely demonic.
>>
>>82006948
Character bios are cool. Look at the old Who's Who in the DC Universe series
>>
>>82006590
They do in my theater.

They have a little comic/cartoon nook next to the arcade.
>>
>>82006590
Every single one of those comic books would end up covered in popcorn butter from lil kids touching them
>>
>>82006629
>>82006590

The problem is, beside price mark up.... Where do they start. Comic titles are just so many of them and even if there is a connection of "comic event" to the comic movie currently rolling on theater right now. More likely on the face value/name only.
Take a look at BvS for example. Can you tell me which comics they should put on display and sell?
The chance are those will confuse normies more than help them understanding it.
>>
>>82007603
>Can you tell me which comics they should put on display and sell?
DKR
Death of Superman
Batman/Superman TPB Vol. #whatever

You're overthinking it, they just have to sell something remotely related to the property.
>>
My LCS shares a mall with a movie theater now. I thought that was a pretty smart move.
>>
>>82007813
Targeted to normies. Not comic nerds.
>>
>>82007913
I know one such store, but I don't frequent that mall so I don't know if it does well.
>>
>>82007813
>Death of Superman.

Spoiler in the title.
>>
>>82007603
DC literally just put out a Batman vs Superman trade with a bunch of their fights. Stuff like that would work. You've overthinking it.
>>
File: 1453601446010.gif (2 MB, 340x352) Image search: [Google]
1453601446010.gif
2 MB, 340x352
>tfw I worked at my local cinema all throughout Highschool during the Comic movie first wave boom
>made this suggestion a number of times
>boss turned it down
>get laid off, years later boss dies, new people take over
>come back to see Winter Soldier, find they're selling copies of the tpb
>tell the boss it might be a good idea just to sell comics here too, they have the space for it
>come back to see GotG, they have a while shelf of comics
>get a few items
>come back to see AoU, the shelf have grown, now they are selling singles too
>get a few trades
>come back to see Ant Man
>owner tells me that since I used to work here he can give me a discount on trades if I have a pull list
>ANAD Marvel is starting up
>fuck it, why not? Get a pull list, support my local shop
>each week I show up and BS about working in the theaters and about comics and shit with the younger staff
Feels good man, first comic shop we've had in town in the past 20 years, before I had to take a bus or drive 40+ miles to the closest shop
>>
>>82007603
My lcs is also the local movie theater and I buy comics from there all the time, there is no price markup, maybe it's because I don't live in the city.
>>
>>82007603
In legit every single DC comic before the movie came out it had a 'what to read' section in preparation for the movie, and a lot of it was super easy to jump onto comics.
>>
>>82008257
Got any theater stories? If not, make some up.
>>
>>82006590
This is actually a good business idea. I'd do it if I was in the business.
>>
>>82009082
>we're playing Happy Feet in Theater One and Jackass 2 in Theater Three
>group of tweens show up at the counter, as for happy feet
>one of the girls shouts to a boy across the street "We're going to watch Jackass!"
>They enter, no one shows up for that showing for Jackass
>if no one shows up for a movie 10 minutes after its start time, we don't start the movie
>40 minutes later the girl comes out, say the movie hasn't started yet
>"Thats odd, show me"
>Follow her into Theater Three, find twice as many kids than actually bought tickets
>just laugh for a moment and tell them to hit the bricks, the four who bought tickets I bring back up to the lobby
>give them their money back
>Laugh as the same group shows up 2 hours later for Happy Feet
>made sure they actually go into Theater One
>they leave actually talking about how much they liked the movie
>>
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 454x528) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 454x528
>>82009375
Thank you very much. Nobody ever gives me stories when I ask.
>>
>>82009375
Theater stories make me wish I tried to get a job as a teen. Sounds like a comfy job, or at least a good job for future anecdotes
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.